• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Hoo Ha's Parking Lots

Started by hooha47, August 08, 2009, 03:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hooha47

Most of you don't know me, but I'm hoping to become more or a presence here.  I've been trying to post here lately, in order to end my lurking ways.  I've learned and downloaded so much from this site, and in the short time I've been posting, I've received some great help and support here.  Now I'm hoping to give back a little bit. 

I have two projects I've been working on.  First, modular parking lots, a series of 1x1 lots:

Which allow you to build these:

The entrance lots, which will form street connections to your roads, etc., are functioning parking lots with a capacity of 1,000 each.  The rest of the lots are eye candy. 

They are now available on the STEX in both gray http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=22242 and black http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/details.cfm?id=22243.

"If you want to have cities, you've got to build roads." - Cake

See all my lots on the STEX
And see my parking lot projects thread here and my mayor mode ploppables thread here

hooha47

The second thing I'm working on, some parking lots in various sizes and configurations:  I plan to release these 3x2, 4x2, 5x2 and 6x2 lots in both gray and black.  

I have versions with trees:

And without:

And at night:

Any preferences?  Any other feedback?

And then I have the following lots that can be made in any size from 3x3 and bigger in 6 different configurations:

A and B are both corner lots, C has 2 entrances on one side.  D and E have entrances on 3 sides and F has entrances on opposite sides.

So I want some feedback on what sizes and configurations would be most useful.  When I originally sketched these out, I came up with at least 50 or 60 possibilities, and that was just going up to 6x6.  I don't plan on making 60 lots, but I'll make a dozen or so, again in both black in gray.

I'm open to all criticism and comments, but I especially want to know what sizes and configurations people are most interested in.

And see my parking lot projects thread here and my mayor mode ploppables thread here

meinhosen

hooha,

Downloaded these off of SimTropolis a week ago.  They look and work great except for one little bug- every time I plop one of the 1x1 eye candy lots it develops a no-road icon after a little while.  Is this just me or is this normal for these lots?

I'd like to see some 2x1 or 3x1 middle lots (the filler ones).  Those would come in handy.

Great work, thanks for sharing!  :thumbsup:
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

hooha47

meinhosen, I updated those lots this morning to fix the problem you noted.  You can just replace the original files, no need to replop.

I hadn't considered making smaller lots, but I might if people want them.

Thanks for the support.

meinhosen

Quote from: hooha47 on August 20, 2009, 07:47:26 PM
meinhosen, I updated those lots this morning to fix the problem you noted.  You can just replace the original files, no need to replop.

Thank you much!  Definitely looking forward to what else you have up your sleeve.
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

hooha47

OK, the lack of response this thread is generating is forcing my hand.  You leave me no choice but to release a flood of parking lots, and then you will be forced to decide which ones you want and which you don't.  This is your only warning.  I'm just crazy enough to do it.  As proof, look at the following picture.  This either came from a recurring dream I've been having, or it's a preview of my upcoming MD:

;)

On a serious note, I have 82 parking lots just about ready to go.  Yes, you read that right, 82.  And I'm just crazy enough to release them all.

metarvo

82 parking lots?  :shocked2:

I always like to see more parking options.  Nice work, Hooha.

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

WC_EEND

82 parking lots, bring it on! :D
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

sithlrd98

These do look very good...downloading the gray as I type.I look forward to the 82 other lots...of course that is a tad much ;D  Thanks for sharing!

Jayson

hooha47

Thanks for the compliments.  In case you thought I was bluffing, I have released 34 of them (17 black, 17 gray) on the STEX.  All of them, along with the modular lots, can be found here http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/?p=files&keyword=hooha47&view=all

I have 48 more ready to go, just need to finish the read mes.  Oh, and I'm not done yet.  ???

j-dub

All I can tell you is great work. What probably is not as noticed so much is the realistic detail paid attention to these lots then anything else with the round curbed grass islands, the type of trees used for the lots, the specific lamp style used that are commonly seen on real parking lots, not to mention they can be driven into in game.

beutelschlurf

moin hooha47,

QuoteI always like to see more parking options.
your right metarvo, and there are lookin' good to me, as well.
you wanna release them? go for it ...  ;D

b_schlurf

FrankU

Well,

As if there are still not enough parking lots on the STEX/LEX/PLEX/?EX....
This is not meant to disencourage you. Your lots are really fine and you paid a lot of attention to the details as j-dub already said. I second his appreciation.

About the number of lots: you can make as many lots as you want... there will always be someone who desires one that you have not made yet.
In my opinion it is most valuable to use the modular lots. Everyone can run wild with them in her/his own cities!
So thanks for the modular approach! Especially the different entrance lots, with the shrubberies (Simgoober propfamilies, I guess?) are very versatile.

RebaLynnTS

Looks very good. I guess I don't need to do any more work on my Parking lot sets (other than the one I am about to release).
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

hooha47

Thanks everyone for the comments.  J-dub, that's very kind of you.  The textures (by WalkingSnake) deserve a lot of the credit, plus the makers of the other props I used, especially SimGoober (as FrankU correctlly guessed) and CP.  I agree that the modular lots make the most sense, especially if you don't want to crowd your plugins folder and menus, but the regular parking lots look better (IMHO).  Becca, I saw that parking lot on your BAT thread, it looks great, and very different from my parking lots (someone suggested I make some with gated entries, which I was thinking of doing, but probably won't now).  If I'm not mistaken, you made some modular parking lots some time ago that I've used, and were part of the inspiration for the modular lots that I made, so thank you.

As I mentioned before, the other 48 are done, I will be releasing them shortly.  Once I started making them, it was really easy to keep making more, so I did.  Also, as anyone who has worked in the Lot Editor knows, switching out textures is really easy to do.  I essentially made 42 lots (gray), then switched out the textures to make the other 42 (black). 

The biggest lot I've made so far is 6 x 6.  I'm taking requests on bigger lots.  And then I'm moving on to something else I've been working on.  I'll be moving from parking lots to park lots.  ;)

RebaLynnTS

The set I am working on right now, is actually a revamping of the set you mentioned. I am glad they gave you inspiration.

Actually, I am still going to do the other lot sets I have in mind. I want to do one that will work well with the ARS.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

SC4BOY

A nice touch.. and I don't KNOW it can be done.. but I think it can.. is make your trees "inherit" the trees from whatever sidewalk mod the player is using. I think this is done by putting the "family code" in place of the "tree code" when you make the lot. I'm sure someone like Andreas will pop in and let you know if this works and perhaps any tricks or traps you might need to watch for.. good luck..

hooha47

SC4BOY, that's an excellent idea.  I would love to be able to do that, if anyone wants to give me some hints.  ;)

I just want to say that this website is really an incredible place.  I've gotten so much great feedback and help on my little project, I really appreciate all of it.  I also want to note that these parking lots literally would not be possible without the help of RippleJet.  He made the original "building" that allowed me to make these lots properly, and provided me with answers to every question I asked in order to make them function. &apls &apls &apls

I just released another 48, 4 sets of 12 (2 black, 2 gray), on the STEX.  You can get them by clicking on the link in my signature.

As I mentioned before, the biggest lot I've released so far is 6 x 6.  I want to do one more set of bigger lots, and I'm taking requests on sizes and configurations.

Andreas

Quote from: hooha47 on August 24, 2009, 10:53:53 PM
SC4BOY, that's an excellent idea.  I would love to be able to do that, if anyone wants to give me some hints.  ;)

For the SFBT Street Tree Mod, I created special tree prop families that are contained in separate DATs. There are various DATs that add Cycledogg's trees, PEG's pines, and the Maxis trees, and you can even mix them if you install more than one DAT. Technically, this was done by copying the original tree prop exemplar files, giving them a new ID, and add a special prop family ID (0xFF5F8400) to each of them, as SC4BOY mentioned.

So if you place the prop family with this ID on your lots, they will automatically show you the trees of those tree prop families that are installed. A minor disadvantage of my method (creating copies of the tree prop exemplar files) is that you immediately get brown boxes if you forget to install the dependencies (Cycledogg's Mega Prop Pack, his tree mod etc.), but otherwise, it works fine, and you can even change the trees "on the fly" by installing another tree prop family.
Andreas

hooha47

Thank you Andreas, that's very helpful.  I will play around with that and maybe use it on future lots.