• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Rural power lines

Started by willy88, August 20, 2007, 08:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willy88

This has probably been suggested before... but anyways, the default power lines look way too urban. So, could somebody make these wooden power lines as a replacement?

(Note that's the only image I could find on the Internets of that particular type of power line, it would be appreciated if somebody could post more pics.)
And what do you think you're doing looking at my signature?

Orange Julius

I know exactly what you mean. Maybe something that could allow these lower-voltage babies to appear in the same city....
Gone now...

FromTheAshes

You could try to use these. They are ploppable and not wooden, but I think they look pretty good and realistic.
Visit Vorsfelde.

claydog

Those are NOT slope conforming and only plopable :(

claydog

What would be great to see is a MOD that utilizes the same network as the Maxis lines, but gives you a couple differnt styles to choose from :thumbsup:! The current option is plopable powerline lots that are not drawable, not slope conforming, and not realistic in all areas :thumbsdown:. In the same way that the street/road MODs change the styles of streets but use the same networks. We have several different styles for sidewalks, why not for powerlines? The Maxis lines style is NOT used very widely in RL. Here are a couple pics of reality.

jayo

SFBT made rural ones-There on the simtrop exchange-Search andreas :D
Also jestarr made ploppable high voltage power-lines and Fukada made draggable high-voltage power-lines-These are all on the simtrop exchange  :thumbsup:
I'm back

jeronij

Quote from: claydog on December 30, 2007, 01:32:12 PM
What would be great to see is a MOD that utilizes the same network as the Maxis lines, but gives you a couple differnt styles to choose from :thumbsup:! The current option is plopable powerline lots that are not drawable, not slope conforming, and not realistic in all areas :thumbsdown:. In the same way that the street/road MODs change the styles of streets but use the same networks. We have several different styles for sidewalks, why not for powerlines? The Maxis lines style is NOT used very widely in RL. Here are a couple pics of reality.

I was studying the power lines some time ago. Unfortunately it seems that Maxis was rushed to release the game, and did not had the time to properly develop that tool ( I mean the way the modding community would have expected ;) ). It is actually impossible to add additional power poles models, and it is impossible to make them show in determinated areas. Sorry to dissapoint you guys, but there is no much way to run on this atm ::)
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Fukuda

powerlines are the only network with no RULs. It's all hardcoded  ()sad()

You can use my old powerlines if you dislike Maxis ones, btw  ;)
Back to europe ;D

claydog

Thanks, Jeronij, for the info. I guess I didn't know this topic had been covered before  &ops

-fukuda; would it be possible &idea to change the base texture of your powerlines to that of a grass texture (like NOB's railside Mod) so they look a tad better in undeveloped areas? Also, then they would match for those of us that use that mod.

hmmm........  &mmm I supose the base texture is hardcoded as well? If not, could it be made transparent or grass?

~Clay

Heblem

I have an idea  for dragable power lines,  "$Deal"$ what about make some from a road or street plugins (like the street mod of jrj) just a dirty texture through it (or maybe not) and the power line and cable.

Not sure if it can be modified "as a building type" so it can "send" power to different areas.

Just an idea, hope its correct or possible this.

ehbk2006

I saw they made overhead lines in the RAM. Maybe we can use invisable road/rail to make the powerlines.

My BAT Showcase: ehbk2006's traffic BAT's
My sketchup models on the 3d warehouse.
[RDY]: Veolia - Coal hopper + E189

j-dub

Heblem is right, we know that power can be transported with a network in zoned land.

Diggis

Quote from: j-dub on May 07, 2008, 01:59:15 PM
Heblem is right, we know that power can be transported with a network in zoned land.

Actually we know that it normally can't carry power.

Heblem

Quote from: Diggis on May 07, 2008, 02:03:01 PM
Actually we know that it normally can't carry power.
in fact i dont know if its possible but what about to "copy" from a power line propierties to a network one and see if it works...

j-dub

I thought it could after it was confiremed after the RHW was reported being able to distribute power.

Diggis

Quote from: Heblem on May 07, 2008, 02:46:40 PM
in fact i dont know if its possible but what about to "copy" from a power line propierties to a network one and see if it works...

I think the problem is the powerline properties are hidden from us.

Quote from: j-dub on May 07, 2008, 02:46:55 PM
I thought it could after it was confiremed after the RHW was reported being able to distribute power.

OK, I didn't know anything about this.  Where was this posted?

j-dub

What about visually, from what I saw, someone took the wires, and put them on a rail line, that they slope conformed, but they didn't have any poles for the wires. That I could stand, I think this would be good use of the draggable texture project, I wouldn't care that it wouldn't function, in fact the rural power lines I have, don't believe to work.

metarvo

Since the idea is to make a draggable, not ploppable, power line network, I'm sure there will be no interest in what I am doing.  However, I did try my hand at BATting that power pole willy88 posted a while back.  Sadly, it is only ploppable.

Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

j-dub

Its better than nothing. Could you do one with out the wires?

threestooges

Actually metarvo, that's a step in the right direction. A while back I looked into the power lines a bit. I forget where the information is (though I'll look into it) but all it should take is replacing the model file... fukuda might be able to share the process, but until then I'll see what I can find.