• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

buzzits power project

Started by Buzzit, August 10, 2010, 02:52:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lowkee33

Don't want to stray too far off pylons, but Aaron, if your foundation is a separate model, you can turn the shadow off in the exemplar, by having "Is Ground Model" set to False.   

louistsw

Quote from: Buzzit on April 04, 2011, 02:14:46 PM
thanks for the information guys :)
i will certainly look into it! and i think i will get it all to work properly then :)

anyways i started to look into new ways of creating pylons
i used Metarvo's measurement of 0.02 for the struts and well the results are amazing!
i used a test pylon wich i modeld with the help of a construction drawing for  a polish 110Kv pylon
i also have a new and lovely assistent(thanks Ernst!) who helps me with this for even better realism  ;D
coincidentally the pylons looks really alike with Metarvo's newest pylon
here's a render:

i am reconstructing both the 500Kv lattice pylon and the german pylon wich the straight piece is almost completed now  :)

There is the similar design in China for 110kV transmission  :)
Also a "bigger" design for higher Volta. :P

No matter how, Great BAT~
A lazy fox (=^ω^=)

Canidae Inu Republic League
犬科大犬和民共和國聯盟

MR.Y

Buzzit

thx alot guys  :thumbsup:

due school i haven't been able to work alot on the project
and therefor wasn't online as much i used to be.
but i will finally be able to continue in the easter weekend  :)
see you then!

Quote from: MR.Y on April 09, 2011, 01:58:27 PM
äääääh, buzzit, may you should look at this, the first pic...
thats a quite interesting pylon indeed mr.Y!

Buzzit

here's a little comparison shot from the first model of the german pylon and the newly(with help of the new method) modeld final pylon:

take note the old one is from a scaled shot
more updates soon!

Andreas

There are lots of different pylons, but I think the horizontal beams are too wide. Compare with this pic: http://erikamann.com/assets/fotos/hochspannung

That said, really nice work so far. :)
Andreas

Buzzit

yes thats true and not all
the model sufferd from some batsquash aswell

here's the next update:

unfortunately because of a small calculation error i need to rerender the pylon again
but that doesnt take that long  :)

also i noticed the pylons still look alot thicker then the renders itself

how come? can anyone explain this one?
and is it fixable?

the following things have been changed/added:

- thinned down the wires to 0.01 and the lightning conductor to 0.008
- all struts are thinned down to 0.02 while the mainstructure is   0.03
- double and multi wired pylons will now get spacers between the lines for a nice touch in realism

i also changed the single wires from the german into double wires because this will add some new pylon variaty for the next german set *hint hint*

Buzzit

FrankU

Hi Buzzit,

Looks like a beautiful powerline. But, ahem.... it looks a bit small to me. is that on purpose, am I wrong (is it meant to be a small one?) or what's going on?
The detailing is gorgeous!

MandelSoft

It only looks small, but in fact it's about 30-40 meters high when I look at it. So it's not small at all...

These power lines are looking great, Buzzit ;)
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Buzzit

Quote from: FrankU on April 20, 2011, 07:51:18 AM
Hi Buzzit,

Looks like a beautiful powerline. But, ahem.... it looks a bit small to me. is that on purpose, am I wrong (is it meant to be a small one?) or what's going on?
The detailing is gorgeous!
jep these are meant to be smaller :)
i understand the confusion though
the german one is about 34 meters now

the other one was a test pylon to see how the new measurements would work out

the next german pylon i will create(based on maartens pylon)
will be almost twice the size of this one ;)

i already posted this picture before but it gives a pretty good view of what i mean

i will create the pylon on the left aswell
wich this smaller 220kV pylon will connect and disconnect with :)

pyrointheshadows

Quote from: Buzzit on August 10, 2010, 02:52:23 AM
-------------------------------------------------
To do list
-------------------------------------------------
special towers:
type 1  tubular to lattice - completed
type 1 tubular 1 to tubular 3 - not started yet
type 2 splitting towers - completed
type 2 splitting towers with type 1 wire fitting - not started yet
type 3 tubular to lattice - not started yet
type 3 tubular 3 to tubular 1 - not started yet
lattice to tubular 1 - completed
lattice to tubular 3 - not started yet
if you have any other ideas  about special towers please enlighten me about your idea!

One Idea you may like with the 500kv Lattice to 500kv Monopole transition is right here. On a drive from Phoenix, AZ to Los Angeles, CA along side I-10 they built brand new 500kv lines - you may need to scroll a bit, and its a bit grainy due to dust and debris on the camera, but here - http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=5801+N+67th+Ave,+Glendale,+Arizona+85301&ll=33.44727,-112.73406&spn=0.036023,0.133553&t=h&z=14&layer=c&cbll=33.452824,-112.737068&panoid=0JNI_pwcGrKKPmIYmnGqqA&cbp=12,33.72,,0,-2.72  --    --- Interstate 10 at Approximately 40 miles outside of Phoenix, near the Hassayampa River & the Palo Verde Nuclear Power Plant

-- and --

http://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=5801+N+67th+Ave,+Glendale,+Arizona+85301&ll=33.451298,-112.712152&spn=0.009077,0.033388&t=h&z=16&layer=c&cbll=33.451152,-112.712155&panoid=T1P9GBWhhdNGrb59ofVRaQ&cbp=12,279.71,,0,-20.13   - Johnson Road just north of I-10 - Buckeye, AZ - cant really see the transition in the distance but its an up-close of a RL monople if u need it

pyrointheshadows

Not to stray too far off topic, but metarvo and , buzzit do you guys do power plants?  &idea Now I am curious to see an in-game Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station. That would actually be awesome at least i think...

Buzzit

Quote from: pyrointheshadows on May 25, 2011, 12:26:32 PM
Not to stray too far off topic, but metarvo and , buzzit do you guys do power plants?  &idea Now I am curious to see an in-game Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Station. That would actually be awesome at least i think...
yes i am concidering to construct powerplants aswell. to dig even deeper into that subject i accually want to create plant pieces to let you citybuilders construct your own kind of powerplant! (just like im planning to do with substations.)

metarvo

Well, I had started on a power plant back in 2009, but I lost my work on that due to a HD crash last year.  >:(

Anyway, the modular power plant idea is a very good one, Buzzit.  It has been said before that the Maxis power plants would really be too small on their own.  Actually, this is as true from a functional standpoint as it is from a visual one, because one must build many of these to power a good-sized region.  RL power plants usually have one or more generator buildings which actually produce the power, and there is usually land set aside for additional ones in case demand rises.  Of course, I'm sure you already knew that when you came up with the modular idea.  ;)

That 60 m pylon looks like it's going to be huge when you make it.  I'm ready for this!  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

pyrointheshadows

Quote from: Buzzit on May 26, 2011, 04:18:16 AM
yes i am concidering to construct powerplants aswell. to dig even deeper into that subject i accually want to create plant pieces to let you citybuilders construct your own kind of powerplant! (just like im planning to do with substations.)

well that is something that actually makes sense. Modular plants. SC4 default plants are too tiny appearance-wise.  &idea I so need to make a CJ for the purpouse of idea-spawning... but i digress... you should do that when you have time  ;) that is actually a wonderful idea  &apls

well hope the links were helpful. keep up the good work  :thumbsup:

Buzzit

the thing FrankU said about the scale was bothering me a bit
so i did a little experiment
and he was definitely right about the pylon its scale.

compare that one with this one

you can see my scale is pretty much bogus at the moment
even if the scale of humans would be normal it would still be slightly to small
if im not mistaken the sc size for humans was about 4 meters tall right?
but that would be insane than the pylon wich is 60 meters would be atleast 120 meters high!

hmm..
what do you people suggest?
i probably could make them a bit bigger
but hopefully that will not ruing the measurements of all the other things in game.

Buzzit

so i tryed another experiment with a medium voltage french pylon
and this is the result
the girl is 4 meters high(a bit higher accually since i stretched her because of bat squash)
the smaller pylon is the orginial(and real-life high so its about 12 to 14 meters)
the other pylon is the doubled version so its about 26 meters in height

heres the comparison
i didnt tryed anything in game yet so that will be the next step for this one
what do you guys think?

Buzzit

pretty quick update:

ok so i made a ingame picture
with the 3 diffrent models i have
and a vehicle to compare the diffrent heights

and a real life shot V-V-V

i accually think the bigger one looks pretty good

supremec

Click on the banner to see my BATs

MR.Y

he's alive...I was on phototour the last time and have there something from germany, some other end-pylons vor the MV-Line. I'll upload it for you, when you have the other pylons finished, so that you not become crazy because of the different types for just one sort...

the actual looks really good...