• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ldvger

QuoteLdvger: Actually, the riverfront pathway is a plopable developed as part of the RRP. Yes, it is bulldoze-able. It will looks good on hills to apoint (over about 20 degrees of slope and it starts to look funny). As a plopable, it doesn't affect the landscape in any physical way. Think of it as the Edmonton water with a dirt texture.

What David did to make a seamless path is known as a click-and-drag.

Yeah except that Edmonton water is not slope tolerant the way this path tool seems to be.  Although I admit I have not tried this path tool, so I don't know how slope tolerant it is...or whether that tolerance holds up when the view is rotated.  A lot of these ploppables do bizarre things when the orientation of the view rotates 90 degrees from where they were plopped, I am finding. 

Lora/LD, feeling a little cranky due to 3 days of having a very sore back (sorry for my bad temper)

Chrisadams3997

lol, as the creator of those paths, I can assure you it's much simpler than it looks.  As dragonshardz said well, think ploppable water with dirt texture, but also a smaller diameter to each tile (3m to answer your earlier question), carefully set flora parameters for proper spacing to make the (usually) seamless path, and the all important slope tolerance parameter set to true, allowing not-quite-unlimited-but-usually-good-enough slope handling capabilities.  The way the game actually orients props/flora (all ploppables are the same as flora, even if they don't look it ;)) to slopes starts to fall apart at steeper grades, nothing you can do about it.

Rotating the view has nothing to do with it, and for 95% of ploppables this holds true as well.  A rotation will work the same for flora as for any prop or building--think about it, do the original maxis trees do anything funny when rotating the screen?  The big exception is TPW for the sole reason that it is rendered some number of meters above the ground it's placed on, taking advantage of something of an optical illusion.  Therefore it's exact visual location 'moves' as you view it from different angles.  The higher up off the 'ground' it's originally rendered, the more pronounced this is.  As an aside, the way David has been working it directly into the terrain in his recent tutorials and such actually eliminates this visual issue as opposed to traditional methods of using TPW :thumbsup:.

Oh, and David, the instructions were tucked away in a separate download in the old 'mods' section at ST where you had to go to download the reader and the NAM and all that jazz, just for the record.  You pretty much had to stumble over it to find it :P.

anyway, that's my 2-cents,
Chris

EDITChris- great to see you here!  If that's the case on the Reader manual, I should have found it long ago.  Stumbling around has always been one of my specialties. -DE

Tarkus

Quote from: Swamper77 on May 14, 2009, 05:10:21 PM
The only train cars I would worry about hitting overpasses with are the deep-well intermodal container cars that I made for the Jestarr Train Set that I released awhile back.

I just checked the height on them in the Reader.  The highest point on any of them was 5.375m.  So they'll clear the 6.5m substructure on a 7.5m ERHW with 1.125m (3.69 ft.) to spare.  I also checked bigbib's Double Decker Buses on the STEX.  The London Modern Double Decker Bus tops out at about 4.82m (clears substructure by 1.68m/5.5104 ft.), while the Routemaster Bus tops out at 4.52m (clears substructure by 1.98m/6.4944 ft.).

It looks even the tallest automata out there should make it under a 7.5m model with a 1m substructure with room to spare.  If anyone knows of any other tall automata to check, let me know.

-Alex

io_bg

Looks great, David, as always. But I wonder what are those PEG trees in the menu above the gazebo? ()what() I think you mentioned them some time ago but I'm curious about them :)
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

mightygoose

do i smell half height RHW...... i thinks i do.... alex did i ever tell you how much i love you..
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

calibanX

Pretty cool ploppable gazebo there David. I actually use gazebos quite often in my suburban sprawl. This will come in very useful.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

dedgren

Matt (threestooges) and I are playing around with this tonight.

You never know.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

meinhosen

Ooh, someone's staying busy with the innovations! 

I think I remember seeing a lot (or maybe series of lots) on the STEX many moons ago that did pretty much what you and Matt are experimenting with now.  It'll be interesting to see where you go with this.
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

choco

perhaps this isn't based on a subway lot?

JBSimio

A little FLUP based upgrade, perhaps?   &Thk/(

On the off chance that I could ever stop loving this game, I need only stop here to have my interests renewed.  Much like the bygone Pontiac... David builds playing excitement!  ;)

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

dedgren

Well, Matt (threestooges) and I have moved the ball a bit further down the road.

The underbridge road here is tunnel-based, like the old nietseb version [linkie].  Ignore the badly mismatched textures- this is just a proof of concept pic.

And it does work.

I can see the unalterable limitations in this approach from where I'm at right now.  Kinda fun, though, watching the cars dive through the pavement.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

thundercrack83

Another fantastic project here at 3RR, David! Under bridge roads are something that you can never have enough of!

I'll be keeping tabs on this for sure, my friend!

Take care!

Dustin

sithlrd98

OK , now I've seen almost everything! I guess that the cars driving through the pavement can be solved by raising the paths...right? Awesome developments lately...I guess you do take after whats under your sig...rust never sleeps... neither do I!

Jayson

metarvo

It's another 3RR Moment.  This one has given me even more to look forward to in the near future.  Way to go, David and Matt!

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Tarkus

Those underbridge guys are pretty darn cool, David and Matt!  Excellent stuff.

One of these days I'm going to figure out how to get this little devil working:

The game sometimes allows overhanging paths, and other times (in this case) it doesn't.

-Alex

Jonathan

How   did    you    do    that ??? :)
No Subway?

Yep that's fantastic Matt and David :thumbsup:

Waits somewhat patiently.

Oh and is your link wrong? It just links to the 2nd picture

Jonathan

EDITSorry- linkie fixed! -DE

ldvger

David's mention of watching cars dive under the pavement brought to mind a SC2000 graphic anomoly (I know that's not spelled right) I ran into.

Years ago I headed up a huge SC2000 web-based collaborative project called Sur La Mer.  We built a city over a period of 6 months.  In this city we had rail lines that ran to the edge of the map and then connected to adjoining cities, which in SC2000 were fictional/nonexistent.  I found I was able, if I timed things just right when saving and exiting the city, to make a train fall off the edge of the map and into the void the map floats in.  The train didn't continue in a straight line not did it descend in any gradual way, it literally fell of the edge of the world, the cars following the locomotive kinkling up and twisting just as you would expect if a RL train fell jumped the tracks and fell off a bridge.  I was able to capture a screen shot of the "train wreck at the the end of the world" and probably have it stashed around here somewhere.  I'll see if I can find it. 

David, if I find the image, have I your permission to post it here?

Lora/LD

EDITPlease, Lora- it would be great for you to do that. -DE

dedgren

Down the road a bit further...

I'm down to fiddling with textures now.

EDIT:  And here's a start on the retexture of the grass- last work before bed.

The "lid" is still visible,

but when the underbridge section road is darkened to match the game pavement, it should be pretty seamless.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

BarbarossaS

3RR, the place where dreams come true!  :P Great work, David and Matt!  &apls &apls

-Stijn-

frdrcklim

Wow. I missed a lot. Nice bridge underpass :).
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.