SC4D Homepage
BSC File Exchange
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FLEX Turn Lanes (FTL) and Related Projects - Development and Support  (Read 287813 times)

Offline Tarkus

• NAM Team Tankadillo
    • NAM HQ
  • CL: Dr. PuzzlePiece

TuLEP stands for Turn Lane Extension Project(or Pieces).  As one might guess from the name, the project extends the turn lane capacities of the game's car-based transit-networks.  More specifically, it will involve the creation of a number of modularized turn lane setups, allowing the end user greater customization with regards to lane control at intersections between surface streets. 

The initial idea behind this project came from two places: 1) an initial attempt at this sort of thing made by Chrno (the developer of the Avenue Wide-Radius Curves) with the existing NAM Avenue Turn Lane setup, 2) sheer necessity--I needed them to properly construct the SPUI Interchanges that were introduced in RealHighway Version 4.0.

TuLEPs Basic is included as an option in the Network Addon Mod, beginning with Version 28 (May 2010), officially labeled as the "Turn Lane Extension" in the NAM installer.  A TuLEP system for the 6-lane Avenue is also included in the Network Widening Mod (NWM).

The latest developments in turn lane technology is the FTL (FLEX Turn Lanes) system, which was first prototyped by memo in January 2014, and will become the primary means of building turn lanes with the NAM in the upcoming NAM Version 36 release.  The existing puzzle piece-based TuLEPs will become deprecated at that point.

Post updated February 26, 2017

Downloads
TuLEPs Basic is a Core Component of the Network Addon Mod.  Just select the "Turning Lane Extension Plugin" option on the installer.  The new FTL system is not yet released, but is will be a major feature in the next release, NAM 36.
None at the moment.

Optional Addons

NameAuthorRelease Date (M/D/Y) Description
TuLEP Cosmetic ModShadow Assassin05/16/2011Australian-style textures for TuLEPs, including dashed-line crosswalks and concrete dividers on Avenue TuLEPs.
TuLEPs Texture ModNego05/17/2011A North American-style texture mod which adds center crosshatching on TuLEPs transitions.
TuLEP ONLY Marking Cosmetic ModBlue Lightning05/20/2011Adds the word "ONLY" to the arrows on TuLEPs--now a full version including markings for Avenue TuLEPs.
Tutorials
There are currently no tutorials covering the Turn Lane Extension Pieces, though FAQ Item #3 may prove informative in the meanwhile.

FAQ
1. When is this getting released?
2. What networks are planned to receive TuLEP pieces?
3. How do TuLEP pieces work?
4. How many of these pieces are you guys going to make?
5.  How will the project be released?
6.  Are diagonals or curved TuLEPs planned?
7.  Are TuLEPs Left-Hand Drive (LHD) compatible?
8.  Will there be Right Turn Lanes?  Or Slip Lanes?
9.  Why are some of the pieces I've seen in this thread not included in the Basic TuLEPs set?
10.  What is happening with Euro textures?
11. Will TuLEPs actually affect the functional capacity on my networks?
12.  Why are you using a puzzle piece approach rather than expanding on the existing draggable Turn Lane functionality in the NAM?
13.  What about roundabouts?

1. When is this getting released?

An initial, "basic" set of TuLEPs has been incorporated into the NAM as of the NAM 28 release of May 2010.  The new FTL system is anticipated to come online in a near-future NAM release.  With regards to future turn lane content, like all other NAM Team projects, there is no release date or timeline for release.

2. What networks are planned to receive TuLEP pieces?

Currently, TuLEPs only exist for the following networks:
-Road
-Avenue
-TLA-7 (in Network Widening Mod)
-AVE-6 (in Network Widening Mod)

Note: The Road and Avenue TuLEPs are designed in such a way that they can be used on the following networks in the Network Widening Mod:
-TLA-3
-AVE-2
-ARD-3
-TLA-5

The related OWR Signalization and Turn Arrow Project (SiTAP), also under this project umbrella, added lane control arrows to the base One-Way Road network in NAM 34.  All future turn lane content will be in the form of FLEX Turn Lanes (FTLs).  FTLs will support all the networks currently covered by the existing TuLEP options.

3. How do TuLEP pieces work?

The TuLEP puzzle pieces are part of a modular system that comprise different parts and configurations of turn lanes and lane control setups. These can then be assembled to create turn lanes of virtually any length.

Much like with the MIS Ramp Interfaces in the RHW mod, there will be different "Types" of TuLEP pieces (or "TuLEPs").  There will be several generic types that refer to the basic width/orientation of the turn lane setup on the network--i.e. Avenue Type 120, Avenue Type 220, etc.

The intersections for the TuLEPs are puzzle piece-based as well, and will be labeled such that you know which TuLEP pieces can be connected to it.  The intersections show "ghost arrows" as well, allowing for quick reference after you place the piece.  The pieces are intended to be functional rather than just strictly cosmetic, such that you can better control lane functionality in your cities.

Just place the TuLEPs over top of your existing networks and intersections.

The new FTL system is designed to use simple hybrid transition/starter pieces, which produce the base network out one side, and the turn lane setup out the other.  The turn lane overrides continue until reaching an intersection, at which point the intersection will override to match the turn lane setup.  The terminology for FTL setup types will be identical to that used for the existing TuLEPs.

4. How many of these things are you guys going to make?

Unknown at this point, but it can keep going for quite a long time.

5.  How will the project be released?

The TuLEPs Basic set currently exists as an optional plugin included in the NAM--contrary to popular misconception, TuLEPs Basic is not part of the NWM, though the TLA-7/AVE-6 TuLEPs are.  The FTL functionality, upon completion, will be released the same way.

6.  Are diagonals or curved TuLEPs planned?

Diagonals are planned for eventual inclusion.  Curved setups will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

7.  Are TuLEPs Left-Hand Drive (LHD) compatible?

Yes, they are.

8.  Will there be Right Turn Lanes?  Or Slip Lanes?

Yes and yes.  See Page 5 for the initial details.  Slip Lanes are included in the initial TuLEPs Basic set in the NAM.  Right Turn Lanes are planned for future development.

9.  Why are some of the pieces I've seen in this thread not included in the Basic TuLEPs set?

These are prototypes for designs that at one point or another, were in development.  They may be brought back in some form in the future as part of the FTL efforts.

10. What is happening with Euro textures?

mrtnrln and riiga released a Euro TRM (Texture Replacement Mod) for the NWM and TuLEPs on August 15, 2010.  It has since been merged into the NAM itself with the Version 31.0 release of March 2013.  All TuLEP setups are currently covered by Euro textures.  Further information on Euro texture readiness for the FTL project will be announced later.

11. Will TuLEPs actually affect the functional capacity on my networks?

It depends on the configuration of the pieces and how they lay on the grid, but generally speaking, most will increase capacity.  The pieces are generally designed to as closely approximate the functional aspects of turn lanes (capacity and lane control) as feasibly possible within the constraints of SimCity 4 traffic simulation.

The same will be true of the new FTL implementation.

12. Why are you using a puzzle piece approach rather than expanding on the existing draggable Turn Lane functionality in the NAM?

Turning lanes, in real life, can vary greatly in length and lane control setups.  The system of network overrides used to implement the existing draggable Turn Lane functionality for Roads and Avenues, while it may be convenient, has limited control, requires an exhaustive and complex system of overrides and re-overrides in order to replicate just basic functionality of a fixed length (no more than 2 tiles) with considerable potential for instability, and can only be applied to intersections between two networks of the same type (Road/Road and Avenue/Avenue).  Additionally, the overrides and re-overrides entailed in the existing draggable auto-turn lane plugins for Roads and Avenues created complications in developing the popular Network Widening Mod (NWM).  Draggable "workaround" systems were also tested, with limited success.

Given the options and limitations, a puzzle piece-based solution was originally deemed the most viable option to further turning lane functionality in the game.  However, as puzzle pieces have fallen out of favor as a viable implementation for most functionality in the current transit modding climate, and override technology has vastly improved, the TuLEP puzzle pieces will be giving way to the FTL system.

13. What about roundabouts?

There has been some talk of a TuLEP-style expansion for roundabouts, known as RABETs (Roundabout Extension Tiles).  However, aside from the large roundabouts added by MandelSoft in NAM 32, it hasn't progressed much beyond preliminary talk--there are presently no RABETs in active development, nor any plans to revive that project at present.

FIXES
None at the moment.

Sim City 4 Devotion Forums

Re: Turn Lane Extension Project (TuLEP) - Development

Offline Tracker

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 11:12:11 PM »
 &apls

This looks like it's going to be niiiiice...pretty! Can't wait to see it and RHW 4.0!
Call me Raymie.

« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 11:12:11 PM »

Offline u.mueller

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 11:48:12 PM »
Aaawwweeesomme!!!! &apls

Can't wait!

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 11:48:12 PM »

Offline z

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 11:52:06 PM »
And a visual pun for a logo, no less.  Nice!   :D 

Overall, I think it's a great idea and a wonderful way to extend the versatility of the game even further.  :thumbsup:  And the only reason I say "overall" is that people are going to want me to make RTMT stations that fit all of these intersections...  ::)

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 11:52:06 PM »

Offline swat-medic

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 12:12:48 AM »
Very, very nice! &apls

Will you be adding stop lights with turn arrows the? ;D

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2009, 12:12:48 AM »

Offline sithlrd98

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 12:49:18 AM »
Not too shabby! Looks like another big project with some new possibilities! Now,if someone could make some working signals for some new lights! And its even more exciting since this can go hand in hand with the NWM!

Jayson

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2009, 12:49:18 AM »

Offline io_bg

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 02:31:17 AM »
Can't wait to see more of that project! Great work! &apls
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2009, 02:31:17 AM »

Offline JoeST

• fbstj
  • CL: Not your average...
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 02:33:26 AM »
Fantastic stuff :o some awesome ideas you guys have :D

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 02:33:26 AM »

Offline Dino007

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 04:18:16 AM »
 :o &apls
What about Euro version?
TIGR

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 04:18:16 AM »

Offline Korot

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 05:00:20 AM »
Euro version is only needed for roads, since they have different textures here in Europe, and that means that they'll have to be incorporated in the Euro textures mod, which makes it Andreas' problem. Well, RHW-2 and 4 also need euro textures, making it the problem of the creators of those mods.

Question: Why are turning lanes needed for the RHW-4? They shouldn't have at-grade intersections, and there already exist puzzle pieces for the MIS-ramps.

Regards,
Korot

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 05:00:20 AM »

Offline joelyboy911

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 05:27:37 AM »
Says who RHW-4 shouldn't have at grade intersections? How about one with a turning lane in the center, and you can cross the line of traffic to exit the road - you can't have a grade seperated interchange on every single country road, and it can save space. It's like a countryside avenue.

I don't understand fully the concept of the SPUI, but these pieces are needed for that puzzle piece also.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 05:27:37 AM »

Offline Blue Lightning

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 07:55:34 AM »
Did someone say RHW4 turning lanes? Edit: Might as well stick the MIS one in too

And as Alex stated in his post, you can see that the top  3 segments can be reused (2+0+2 blank, 2+0+2 turn arrows, 2+0+2 x Ave (Left+Both+Right))

I still need to do some cleaning up (mainly with some blurring and seaming)

::)

Though my main thoughts for RHW4 turnlanes is for limited access arterials, and at the terminus of one (thats why the TuLEP-MIS/RHW4 2+0+2  seen above is a T intersection)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 08:07:06 AM by Blue Lightning »
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 07:55:34 AM »

Offline KoV Liberty

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 09:28:47 AM »
Oooooooooooh! Nice little project here Tarkus!
My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2009, 09:28:47 AM »

Offline Korot

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 09:47:48 AM »
Blue lightning, I suggest reducing the amount of turn-lanes on the MIS-version, to just two, one for each side.

Regards,
Korot

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2009, 09:47:48 AM »

Offline Blue Lightning

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 10:31:30 AM »
Korot: Well a two lane version isn't under my coverage, but the reason I made it was for those "just in case" situations. (Edit 2: And now an example from a setup near me: here )  Also I plan on doing a MIS_TuLEP 1+0+1 to 2+0+2 transition. Though I do have a draft/unfinished 3 lane (1+1+1) texture right here:

Edit: Seems I forgot to crop it. Resized and added link.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2009, 11:21:00 AM by Blue Lightning »
Also known as Wahrheit

Occasionally lurks.

RHW Project

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2009, 10:31:30 AM »

Offline swat-medic

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 10:41:20 AM »
Looking really good Blue!!  &apls

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 10:41:20 AM »

Offline Ryan B.

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 01:10:02 PM »
Wow, this is great!  It also seems to be exactly what I've been designing signals for.

I think what I'm going to do is to make a vertically oriented signal set as well.  That way, everyone who isn't such a fan of the Texas-style horizontal signals I've done won't be left out.   :thumbsup:

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 01:10:02 PM »

Offline u.mueller

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 01:26:57 AM »
Great texture work everyone! :thumbsup:

« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 01:26:57 AM »

Offline dragonshardz

• Feel free to call me Patrick.
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 04:20:46 PM »
Ah, it's for the SPUIs. I thought it was so the NWM could be released. Eh, 'scool anyway.

« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 04:20:46 PM »

Offline deathtopumpkins

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 04:54:10 PM »
Well who says NWM networks won't be incorporated?  :P
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 04:54:10 PM »

If you experience visual glitches in our site, we strongly suggest you to use Firefox to browse the forums. Also a 1024*768 or higher resolution is highly recommended to view this site

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
TinyPortal © 2005-2011
SMFAds for Free Forums

Page created in 0.54 seconds with 113 queries.