• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

High Definition Props and Textures - Discussion thread

Started by mightygoose, March 28, 2009, 01:38:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toxicpiano

The only problem I see with the high res stuff is unless everyone is planning to remake every single texture ever and every single prop ever, high res stuff will look out of place with the old stuff (I know this is a very cynical view but I quite like consistency). This is most definitely a wonderful discovery though.
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

z

I personally take the optimistic view and prefer to think that as soon as HD textures and props start to become common, people will become motivated to upgrade the remaining ones.  I think that this would be especially true of props and textures that they created themselves.  :)

SimFox

Some of the methods suggested here will not work, as they are incompatible with the standard BAT export procedure. Of course there is always the manual way, but that's more of the play in itself then a working solution.

I, just like Wouanagaine  see the realistic way for this through altering Max scripts.
There are few points here I would like to address and I'll do it later tonight when I'll have more time. But it is doable.

I remember I saw somewhere some discussion of 512x512 textures. Could anyone tell me what are the limitations for this method?

wouanagaine

Quote from: SimFox on April 01, 2009, 05:44:03 AM
I remember I saw somewhere some discussion of 512x512 textures. Could anyone tell me what are the limitations for this method?
It seems that people using software rendering mode in SC4 won't be able to load 512x512 textures

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

buddybud

Quote from: Diggis on April 01, 2009, 02:17:28 AM
I reread both posts and I think that IS what buddybud was talking about.

correct...

Quote from: SimFox on April 01, 2009, 05:44:03 AM

512x512 texture worked but suffered from alot of compression. You start to get pixel pops! However i would add that i don't believe standard sized textures are needed for network models   but i am ASSUMING 256 is optimum for display.

Fell asleep and didn't do any texting myself....keep us informed folks.  We all benefit from whats going on here  ;D .Though toxic is right to a degree, i think like anything it can be tactfully used such as the existing highway etc....somethings will look better than others...Lets face it no matter what the resolution a crappy texture is a crappy texture  :-\

Edit: oh and the earlier picture of flora makes me think it is worth while in atleast those respects for props!!!!

Bud

metarvo

Finally, SC4 in HD.  :)  I have two questions, though.  What does this mean for those who don't have PhotoShop?  Additionally, is it OK to remake large props in HD?  Some of my props are quite large.  Either way, this is quite a discovery.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

superhands

ok. i had to have a go. ;)   2.5MB for 8 textures (all uncompressed fsh)

buddybud

Quote from: metarvo on April 01, 2009, 06:16:42 AM
Finally, SC4 in HD.  :)  I have two questions, though.  What does this mean for those who don't have PhotoShop?  Additionally, is it OK to remake large props in HD?  Some of my props are quite large.  Either way, this is quite a discovery.

question 1 for the hd props no texture editing is done after bating as long as you have a higher resolution texture to use on your moedel it doesn't matter which program it was made in..The resulting model is shrunk afterwards or textures transferred depending on which method is used presently.

for the hd textures thats another story cause we've been using the default photoshop file PSD to generate the alphas. Base textures could be done unsing a regular png file though.

question 2
  Unless you want to experiment i wouldn't actually plan on releasing anything immediately unless as a beta.....we have no idea how the system is going to respond to this at this point...though both solutions look promising!!!

Edit. I still am not 100% on how Orange_o_ accomplished his pic....i do think he used a replacement fsh as i had attemptted....This method would be time consuming though but great for any pixel artist!!! (four rotations need to be hand crafted) Orange_o_ please share your thoughts!!!

Bud

SimNation

BigHead is that RHW????? If so then bravo...that looks tons closer to the in-game roads and avenue textures &apls

cogeo

Quote from: Diggis on April 01, 2009, 02:17:28 AM
As long as the larger prop doesn't cover more than 1 FSH file per view then when it's put into the smaller model it should work.

This is not the only requirement. All FSH files of the 2nd (large) model should be exactly 2x larger than those of the first one. This generally is the case for 2x sized models, as BAT generates FSH textures sized to the minimum possible power of 2, ie it's somehow "coincidental", and works only if the 2nd model is exactly 2x larger than the original. It might have problems in marginal cases, but this is just (my) speculation. It won't work if the scaling factor is everything else than 2.

As for now, I'm busy making a conversion tool; for everybody interested, I could post/send test/evaluation versions. For the moment I'm trying to (successfully) read the .SC4Model files.

Jonathan

I don't see why the scaling must only be 2?
I tired it with 4 in the reader and it worked, but I didn't try this in game.
I also tried it with you London TfL sign, and the writing was about as clear as yours, if not slightly unclearer.
But if you have a tool that will do it for you then that would be much better

Jonathan

A200

RippleJet

Quote from: A200 on April 01, 2009, 02:07:32 PM
April Fools much??  :D :D :D

Glad to see you were fooled...
but that must have been in another thread on another site... not here ::) :P

A200

Lol this is a joke  :D :D :D, obviously april fools. This type of thing is impossible  :D

A200

All the people replying think this is real  ()what()  :-\  &hlp &hlp so good it's unbelievable :p  :-\

Pat

A200 Rest assured this is no joke at all!!! Here at SC4D we take it serously when someone makes a discovery and dont jack the community around with it....

OK so what would be the best overview here of everything that has been learned of the High Def Props??? I am trying to read it but my poor brain just cant wrap around it all.....

BTW trying to piece it together for the Podcast hint hint lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

RippleJet

Quote from: Pat on April 01, 2009, 02:40:13 PM
OK so what would be the best overview here of everything that has been learned of the High Def Props??? I am trying to read it but my poor brain just cant wrap around it all.....

Pat, you would have to add video to your podcast in that case... ::)  ...and show Cogeo's in-game picture.
One picture that says more than 1000 words, when explaining the difference:

Normal props on top, HD prop on bottom.

mightygoose

why are you not compressing them on reader insert??
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

nerdly_dood

If this is a joke then i'ts a very  :thumbsdown: joke. Better luck next time.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!