• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

FLexible UnderPasses (FLUPs)

Started by Chrisim, December 25, 2008, 04:15:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chrisim

Thank you, Jonathan (Warrior), for posting your images and answering some questions  :)

Quote from: SimNation on December 26, 2008, 07:20:18 AM
I have a question,I am sure others will ask this as well. If you have underpass's that used the subway transit switch method of going underground will you be able to upgrade them to this method?. BuddyBud unoffically released underpass's in his old thread at the Stex eions ago and work 100% like blahdys and marrasts but were 1x1 and I would love to be able to continue to use them but with this new method.
First of all to clarify: if you are using lot based underpasses (by BuddyBud, Blahdy, Marrast, Aithon or Jeronij), you can continue using them. This is in addition and there is no conflict.

FLUPs shall start small with one network (road) and one ramp in the next NAM version. If it is popular, there might be updates. And if Blahdy and/or BuddyBud would allow the use of their ramps for a future version of FLUPs, I would happily implement them. I haven't contacted them yet. First I wait for the release and the feedback on this version.

Quote from: j-dub on December 26, 2008, 09:40:41 AM
ChriSim, I would suggest a real tall disappearing prop on the plain straight, and turn underpass pieces for building underwater, so you can see where they are. Without that, it can be tricky.
A good idea, but I cannot promise it. I hope that there is a transparent water mod (for temporary use), does it exist?

Quote from: nerdly_dood on December 26, 2008, 01:04:01 PM
One question.. What do they look like with the draw-paths cheat turned on - do the paths show up properly, or does the ground hide them or what?
The draw-path cheat does only show overground paths. You can recognize the tunnel pieces from the manhole covers (or the colored arrows when traffic flows).

nerdly_dood

You can use the Water Pollution data view to see terrain underwater, which should enable you to see the little tiny manhole covers.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

j-dub

I wouldn't switch to a temporary water mod, no big deal. Nerdly_Dood revealed a work around. This mod does work with the Urail. I made a railxrail intersection with it.

andreharv

Is it possible to make the model for the blank portion of the underpass appear only in the underground view, similarly to the subway network.  Having no model at all can indeed be tricky, especially for tunnels that don't go straight across the water.  However, a visible model might make the tunnel stand out.  An underground view model would definitely help.

gardenwong

WOW~~It's a very good creation for us!!
is this mean we can use udi for crossing the sea?
if yes,I hope it will be some more verison for the el-rail,railway or the monorail  :D
俺がã,¬ãƒ³ãƒ€ãƒ ã wwwwww

WC_EEND

this will be a great addition to the game
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

FrankU

Sounds very good, but doesn't the subway-transition trick do the work already? Besides, of course, the fact that underpasses will interfere with subway networks?
Will this FLUP not intersect with subways?
How does it work anyway?

Andreas

The FLUPs don't involve subways at all. Those are not lots that convert commuters into subway passengers, but puzzle pieces that behave like any other network tile as well. This means you can use them for UDI, and they are also capable of bus and freight truck traffic. What Chrisim has done is basically moving the automata paths below the surface, so they behave equally to the in-game tunnels (with the exception that you cannot drag them, but have to build them piece by piece). The main disadvantage is that you can't build anything on top of those pieces, but there will be special pieces that allow you to cross other networks - for building said underpasses.
Andreas

Jonathan

Also one other slight disadvantage of the FLUPs is that while you can have road under rail parrallell you can't have road under road parrallell (double deckerish) as the cars can jump from below to the above road, but then this limitation is the same as the NAM Ramps. But this doesn't effect you a lot, and I found the pieces much less obtrusive than the NAM Ramps and potentially much more used, when the set has been completed 3 or 4 releases along.

Jonathan

gn_leugim

RippleJet

Is it Christmas or is it Chrisimas? These are FLUPping fabulous! &apls

allan_kuan1992

I believe the NAM underground railway pieces are part of this development somewhat?

I really like the potential of this project =)

- Allan Kuan

Kitsune

Finally, custom underpass', I've been waiting for these for eons!
~ NAM Team Member

JoeST

Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

gn_leugim

just a question.. will we be able to make complex tunnels under normal buildings as well?  :-\

Swamper77

No, you cannot place buildings on top of the FLUPs pieces. They are like any other puzzle piece except that their paths extend below ground instead of above it. All limitations of existing puzzle pieces apply to the FLUPs as well.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

gn_leugim

ohh sad  :( but anyway, this is awesome   :thumbsup: can't wait :)

buddybud

Wow...great work guys.
As for not being able to build above them. I assume if someone went about creating t21's for them you could fill in long stretches with buildings/props of appropriate wealth and zones......

Looking awesome.  &apls

Glazert

Well, we may not be able to build above FLUPs, but, as has been pointed out, the FLUPs are an addition to, not a replacement for things we can already do. So for orthogonal stretches of road we could still use tunnels and have buildings above them, and then after emerging from the tunnel we could move to the FLUP for more flexible direction. It would be neat if a tunnel to FLUP transition piece could be produced, but if we have to have short switchback pieces of road emerging from a tunnel before dipping down again, that is not unlike some real-world situations.

Chrisim

Quote from: buddybud on January 01, 2009, 09:37:09 PM
As for not being able to build above them. I assume if someone went about creating t21's for them you could fill in long stretches with buildings/props of appropriate wealth and zones......
Actually the NAM FLUPs will include a set of six "individual custom puzzle pieces" that are transparent by default.
It allows reducing the problem that you can't build anything on top of FLUPs pieces.

When you add "FLUPs custom files" (extra downloads independent from the NAM) you can fill long stretchs with buildings/props or create other underpasses like this one below SimGoober's canal:

This canal can't be very deep  ::)
You can see the car automata only during UDI.
Technically, these files are separate from the NAM, and consist of either T21 Exemplars or texture replacements.
I will prepare a short description how to prepare FLUPs custom files when the NAM will be published.