• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Commonwealth of Marathon

Started by thundercrack83, November 05, 2008, 02:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Battlecat

Very cool looking low wealth area.  It certainly is a must for any city, the low wealth areas are often overlooked.  Nice job! 

bat

Really really nice mosaic there! Nice work! :thumbsup:

Jmouse

Great mosaic, Dustin - very realistic. Maybe that fascination with low-income housing is an unconscious reaction to current economic conditions. &mmm

Sorry I didn't get around to voting,
but it wouldn't have made any difference. I'd have gone with the majority on B. It will be interesting to see where you take the project from here.

As always, looking forward to more...

Joan

LE0

Nice and realistic mosaic thundercrack! :thumbsup:
Leoland coming Spring 2009

Scarton

Nice mosaic! It's a good slum area you built. What is that blue grass stuff under the freeway?

Tarkus

Hi Dustin-

It's been far too long since I've stopped in here.  Just continually amazing stuff.  You've really become quite the fantastic lotter, I must say.  I think you've even developed a unique style.

The low-wealth mosaic is great as well--very gritty.

I need to remind myself to check here more often. ;)

-Alex

simsamerica

nice, this & 3RR get my  :thumbsup: &apls WOO!! thing
Rednecks aren't country Music Stars, they're Rocket Scientists.

thundercrack83

Alfred.Jones: Thank you so much, my friend!

Arthur (art128): Thanks, Arthur! I'm glad you liked it!

metarvo: Thank you!

metasmurf: Thanks! I'm a fan of them, too!

Battlecat: Thank you so much! You're right, low-wealth sections are necessary for any major metropolitan area.

bat: Thank you, my friend!

Joan (Jmouse): Hi, Joan! You have a good point on my possible subconscious reaction, unfortunately. Hopefully things will turn around soon, though. Oh, and don't worry about voting, my friend! We'll catch you next time!

LE0: Thank you!

citycapitalizer: Thanks so much! Oh, and that's only regular grass under the highway, the shadows may be what's giving it a blue hue. Take care!

Alex (Tarkus): Hi, Alex! Thanks, my friend, for your great comment! I think I'm getting the hang of things in the LE now, thankfully. Hope to see you again soon!

simsamerica: Thank you! It's truly an honor to be considered in the same category as 3RR in your eyes!

UPDATE XXVI
Choosing Textures, Round 2
4 March 2009

Well, thanks to the suggestion made by Isaac (Masochist) about showing the top-voted textures in an overview in-game, I've put something together, using the textures from Update XXV: Deep in the Heart of Textures. It gave me a better perspective on the textures, and I hope it will do the same for you!

Here goes!

Texture B — Overview

Texture B — Close-Up

Texture C — Overview

Texture C — Close-Up

Texture E — Overview

Texture E — Close-Up

Right now, I'm leaning—like the majority—towards Texture B, but I would love to hear what all of you have to say! After looking them over for a bit of time, I think any one of the three would work well, actually.

So...let me know what you think, friends! Oh, and we're already close to 900 comments...did I mention that you guys are the best?

More to come!

art128

Well Dustin, the best textures of these 3 is, IMO, the B. Those pavement looks really wonderful and I think they will add a great touch to your city. :thumbsup:
Take care.
Can't wait the next update;

Arthur. &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

rooker1

Hey Dustin,
This LOT has turned out to look fantastic and agree with using texture B for sure.  I can also see that the ajoining LOTs are a different base colour, will you be matching them up?
See ya later my friend,
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Battlecat

I'm going to have to go with texture B once again, it just fits the feel of that train station complex perfectly.  It also complements the brown tiles much better than the other two textures.  I will say that texture C is not far behind seeing it in context though. 

deathtopumpkins

Of those, I'd have to say B... It fits in the best IMO.  :)
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

metarvo

Personally, I prefer C, but it seems as though B has the majority.  However, I am confident that you will make it look good no matter what texture you use, Dustin.  Keep up the good work, and congratulations on getting all of these replies.  That's one of the marks of a truly successful MD, IMHO.

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

threestooges

My vote's still with B Dustin. Isaac was right (good to see you around again Isaac, and yes, I remember Condor Bay), it's a good idea (though somewhat time consuming) to prepare lots of different textures. Seeing them as they would be helps make the decision much easier. B just has a good balance of color and blends with the surrounding textures.
-Matt

Jmouse

I'll definitely stick with B. The difference in hues is noticeable but still subtle enough to look natural. I was concerned about the repetitious quality of the darker tiles, but with the addition of trees and props - along with their shadows and visual magnetism - the overall scene worked out well.

Later...
Joan

tooheys

Hi Dustin, some great work here  :thumbsup: I agree with the majority, B is a standout although I don't mind the contrast in C either.

Regardless, it looks great either way.

Cheers

Dave

thundercrack83

Arthur (art128): Thank you, Arthur! We got one vote for B!

Robin (rooker1): Hi, Robin! Vote number two for B! I'm so glad that like the lot, my friend—we've been so busy with..."other things"...that I don't think I showed you any of the progress on it. Sorry about that! Oh, and the entire section will definitely match up. The other textures in the picture we're an accidental inclusion. Take care!

Battlecat: And we have a third vote for B! Thanks for stopping by!

deathtopumpkins: Four for B! We may have to call this thing on account of a mercy rule or something...

metarvo: Ooooh, we've got a vote for C! Thank you so much for your vote on the textures, and your vote of confidence in me, as well! Thanks for coming by!

Matt (threestooges): Hi, Matt! Actually the whole process wasn't all that time consuming, I just switched out the textures, went in to the game, snapped the photos and then went back. All in all, it took about 15 minutes at the most. Hope to see you again soon!

Joan (Jmouse) We've got another vote for B! You make some great points about why B should be chosen, too. Thanks, Joan!

Dave (tooheys): Hi, Dave! Great to see you here again, my friend! Thanks for your vote, and I hope to see you around again soon!

We'll it looks as though texture B is the "Texture-Elect" for the train station area. Truth be told, I had pretty much settled on B prior to posting the final three, but I wanted to do it anyway, just in case any of you pointed out something that would sway things a different way. Thank you all for participating in this, friends—it's always wonderful to hear what your input, advice, and suggestions!

We've moved on to what I believe is the final lot for the train station area...

Another 5x21 monster for the southern side of the area. It's still in the initial phase, though, so there is still quite a bit of work left to do. With any luck, though, I hope to bang it out throughout the weekend.

And I believe were only 4 comments away from 900! Who will be the one to hit the target?

Thanks again for your help and support, everyone!

MandelSoft

Now you only need three  ;)

I've been lurking around for a while, and I did see many stunning things. You are really paying attention to the station area and it's very rare to see that people have influence in a MD. Impressive!

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

threestooges

Thanks for doing the little preview session. What system specs are you running on your computer that you can do all that three times in 15 minutes? After that little issue I had the other week, I may have a new computer on the way so I'm curious to know what sort of performance boost I might expect. At any rate, glad to hear these lots are coming together. I like the gardens shown in this one. Very formal/clean. Marathon must employ a fine maintenance crew to keep those things looking good. Take it easy my friend.
-Matt

Pat

Well Dustin I will put you one closer to 900!!!! Congrats on such a wonderful MD here!!! Which reminds me I need to get a drink  ;)

BTW I would have stuck with B and I cant wait to see what more happens here!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie