• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Commonwealth of Marathon

Started by thundercrack83, November 05, 2008, 02:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundercrack83

Piotr (Sheep49): Hi, Piotr! For me, input from everyone is the backbone of Marathon! If it weren't for you and everyone who visits here, I'm sure that things would not be where they are now. Thank you so much for all your support and your suggestions, my friend!

Arthur (art128): Thank you, Arthur! I'm glad you liked it!

Matt (threestooges): Hey, Matt! Thanks so much for your suggestions, my friend! I definitely like your idea with putting billboards in between the rails! Excellent idea, my friend! And I will further investigate your other ideas and see what I can come up with. Take care!

bat: Thanks!

kimcar: Thank you very much!

citycapitalizer: Thank you! Realism is one of those things that is hard to get away from, it seems. I don't go out of my way to make things more realistic, I just try to find a balance between something that is realistic, but also something that looks "right" or good in the game. Sometimes, you run into a stalemate, and other times, with the help of great friends like I have here, you can make a few adjustments and get somewhere you hadn't even thought of going! Thanks for stopping by!

Battlecat: Thank you so much, my friend!

sim-al2: Thank you! I like your idea with a plaza between the tracks, but there's just one thing: How will the people get down there? Take care!

Dan (dsrwhat316): Thank you, Dan! You are right about the abrupt transition between the two textures. I was searching for a solution, but I didn't come up with anything. Maybe I'll just have to search harder! Hope to see you again soon!

deathtopumpkins: Thanks! I'm leaning towards grass with a few trees and perhaps the billboards suggested by Matt above, but ultimately, we'll see what happens! Take care!

Pat: Thank you, my friend! As for releasing the CNIT, I don't think it's in any shape to pass through the scrutiny that our wonderful LEX demands. It's certainly something to look into, though. Good to see you!

Haljackey: Thanks!

Joan (Jmouse): Thank you, Joan! I tend to agree with you on the parting of the rails, too, but due to the land constraints that I'm working with—between the trench and slope—there's not much room to work with. I will say, though, that I'm not done investigating things there. Who knows how it will turn out in the end! It's always great to see you here, my friend! Take care!

UPDATE XXV
Deep in the Heart of Textures...
2 March 2009

Another update so soon?

What can I say? Those creative juices are flowing! OK, maybe not "creative," but there's definitely something flowing, just not sure what. Anyway, let's move on!

While it's been classified as an official "update," the following is more of a poll. I've been playing around with the textures for the train station lots and I said to myself, "Self—why don't we see what all our friends have to say about the textures?"

So that's just what we're going to do! I've chosen a few different textures that I thought may work (and probably some that I know won't, but I was bored). Take a look at them and tell us...

Which base texture should be used for the lots surrounding the rail tunnels?

A (Original Texture)

B

C

D

E

F

G

H

And finally...

Is there something we've missed that you think may work? Just post here letting us know and we'll definitely give it a look-see!

Look forward to hearing from all of you...your input means so much!

In a bit!

Alfred.Jones

I have missed a couple of updates Dustin, but that lot is looking very impressive :thumbsup:

Personally, I think Texture B

I think it has good contrast with the dark tiles in the adjacent texture and it goes along well with the yellow flowers.

Looks amazing either way Dustin ()stsfd()

Keep it up mate

Sim City 4 Devotion

threestooges

For the area that it's in, I'd say go with B. It fits the surrounding texxtures you showed nicely, and it looks like it would stand up well on its own too.
-Matt

deathtopumpkins

I think I'd go with texture A...  :D I know it's the one you've already been using, so I figure you're not to happy with it, but it seems like one I would realistically see someone pave a plaza-like-area with... and some of the others just... don't. ;)
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Scarton

evanator

Wow! I just got through reading this amazing MD up to the present, and I have to say you've done an absolutely incredible job!  &apls

I love how you plan everything out, and how you explain to and involve the community in the building of your city.

As for the textures, I'd have to say Texture B. It offers a nice contrast to the dark brown, without seeming too different.

Great Work! -Evan

art128

Well Dustin, I really love the B, F and G; but my favorite in these ones is the G. Cause I think there's an harmony with the other texture...
And there's an other one I really love, (but don't have any pictures of it by me...) It's this one :

Image by Perun, form his MD (Ragnarok).

But I don't remember in witch texture pack is it.... ;)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

carkid1998

Sendona... Coming soon!

Battlecat

Texture B is definitely my favorite of the bunch. 

Pat

Dustin as it seems everyone is mostly saying B and well I do agree B is my primary choice here with G is a secondary...  About the CNIT I know you got a good person on your side there who can really help you get on the LEX and pass the scrutineers!!! You know him and his crime fighting assiting ways too hehehe... OK moving on I cant wait to see what happens next!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bat

I think the texture B, E or H are very good for this lot! But texture B is the best from these three textures!

Looking forward to more... ;)

kimcar

Definately C because it give a nice contrast , but i guess i`m lonely in that choice  %confuso ;D

Sheep49

Kids, I guess it's time for the useless and over-the-top analysis! :D

Texture A: Your 'default' texture. I was never fond of that one to be honest, but you were doing a great job with it, at least up to now. I would love to see something different this time, though. Let's move on...

Texture B: I like that tone of yellow. I mean it's sort of between brown and yellow, which makes that texture look pretty unordinary when compared with others.

Texture C: Wow! That's... bright! :D Seriously though, I just don't think that it looks *that* good. The contrast would be definitely too big. I would not use it if I were you.

Texture D: It may be only me, but i just don't seem to be fond of that one. Bright pink just doesn't look right with brown I suppose.

Texture E: Just as with the texture B, I have to admit that I love that combination of yellow and brown. I guess that that yellow is a little bit too bright, though.

Textures F & G: Surprisingly, that looks better than I though that combination of colours would lok like ??? I have to say that G texture is one of my favourites. It looks great when used with browny-tily texture :P

Texture H: Forget what I said when talking about texture D. No kind of pink is looking pretty decent when placed next to the dark brownish thing in my opinion. The difference between two is just too big.

Arthur's Suggestion: I love that texture, too! But I can't imagine it going well with the rest of lot. Just the kind of thing that applies to H: The difference is a bit too big.

...Now that we have done that part, time for the winner! And the winner is...
...Thank you, Brigitte...
...Texture B!

Keep up the great work! &apls
Piotr

PS. Sorry for posting something that big in your thread! $%Grinno$%
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

dsrwhat316

Ooh, a texture selection; my specialty! I wonder if my post had anything to do with this  $%Grinno$%

I definitely would go with texture B. But, then I'd go one step further. Perhaps a pic will help here:

I knew the exact textures you were using and applied them to a test lot in the LE. I then added 2 similar, but differently colored overlay textures. These overlay textures can be found in c.p.'s BSC TexturePack Cycledogg V 01b

To put two overlays on one tile, simply hold down the D key with the properly-oriented overlay, then click on the desired tile. Be warned after you place the second (or any subsequent) textures, it will instantly disappear. Again, this is merely a suggestion, but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents. Sorry for the mini texture tutorial hijacking  ::)

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)

Masochist

Hi, Dustin!  Yes, I know your name.  You might not remember me all that well, but I used to be very active in this part of the site.  Lately, though, I've been completely absent from the scene.  In fact, I've been so absent that (and I'm rightfully ashamed to admit this) I didn't know until today that you had even started an MD &ops.  I just happened to catch your map-making tutorial while browsing (which was excellent, by the way ;) ), and saw that it was based on this MD, so I took a look.  And by a look, I (of course) mean that I started at the very beginning and spent the next couple of hours experiencing and absorbing every single one of the 44 or so pages that this Diary has grown to.

Needless to say, I was thoroughly :o 'd!!!

(Though thinking about it, perhaps I shouldn't've been--you've been handling this section of SC4D for so long that even if you started with absolutely no MD skills whatsoever, by the time Marathon rolled out, it should come almost naturally for you...and judging by your work, it seems to :satisfied:!)

The Commonwealth of Marathon is seriously jaw-dropping dislocating!  You've been handling its development and growth with the utmost care, and boy, does it show!  The areas of the island you've shown us, whether they be commercial, residential or industrial (especially industrial), have all looked like the work of someone who has been CJ'ing not for four months, but for four years!  I've already gotten so many ideas just by looking at the pictures and your methods for going about building the city...things like how one might construct custom plazas, or how to handle a gigantic rail station in a city that hasn't been built, or (my favorite!) how to make eye-catching wall-lined seashores.  Oh, those seashores :o!  Never had it crossed my mind (for some odd and strange reason) to make them multi-leveled all the way down (I've actually done it once, but it was to accommodate a marina; I've never done a lower level strictly for a seawall, though).  It gives me sooo many ideas on how to construct interesting coastlines...I can't wait to try them out ;)!

Your sport complex mystery...the only thing I can discern is that the Toyota Center is somehow involved :P.  Don't know how I figured that one out ( $%Grinno$% ), but its got me intrigued.  Coming from Houston, I know how big sporting arena areas can be, both in size and influence (Reliant Stadium, Arena and Park are all next to each other, and the Astrodome is also in the same complex).  I'll be waiting to see what you do with it--perhaps a bid for the Simlympics is in order this year?  Who knows...but I simply can't wait to see it!  Just like I can't wait to see your completed Rail Tunnel area (I can imagine how it would make a most impressive vantage point for the mainland).

Speaking of the Rail Tunnel plazas, my vote goes towards any of the four textures from E through H, though in order to get a really good handle on it, I think a full over-head shot would be necessary to see how it would look altogether.  Perhaps (if you wanted to spare the time) you could take, say, the top three voted-upon textures and fill out the entire plaza with each one, then take a picture or two of each?  Just an idea; I just know that what looks good close up might not match what you're going for from far away.

Anyways...I'll keep a much, much, MUCH closer eye on this MD (and this entire section, period) in the coming weeks.  I really look forward to seeing the finished sporting area and Rail Tunnel Plazas, as well as perhaps a glimpse of the island as a whole (i.e., a region view) and perhaps some stats on population, zoning, etc. (if you would provide such).  I'd also like to see how the rest of the country is laid out (the mainland part; what cities are there?).  Also...it'll be interesting to see what other creations you make in the Lot Editor.  And I remember reading something about rural areas, too?  I'm definitely holding you to that one %wrd!

I suppose what I'm really trying to say is: with all the amazing stuff you've already shown us, I can only imagine what you'll come up with next ;D!

Excellent, excellent, EXCELLENT work, sir!  You'll definitely be seeing me around here much more often...you might even remember who I am :P (Condor Bay ring a bell?  No?  Oh, well, worth a shot...$%Grinno$%).  Keep it up :thumbsup:!!
(Under Construction)

thundercrack83

Alfred.Jones: Thanks! Don't worry about missing stuff around here, my friend. It happens! Oh, and I see you like texture B, eh? Thanks for letting me know! Take care!

Matt (threestooges): Another vote for B! Thanks, Matt!

deathtopumpkins: Thanks for voting! I didn't have a problem with the original texture, I was just trying to see things from a different perspective, and then I thought, well, why not get others' perspectives, too!

citycapitalizer: B, E, or F? Couldn't make up your wind, eh? Ha! That's OK, I couldn't either!

Evan (evanator): Hello! So glad that you've enjoyed everything thus far. Hope to see you around soon!

Arthur (art128): Wow, Arthur! Thanks for the texture example, my friend. I have to find that one because I'm sure I can find somewhere to use it. Take care!

carkid1998: B again! Thanks for voting!

Battlecat: And another B! I'm seeing a pattern here...Thanks for stopping by!

Pat: Thank you so much, my friend!

bat: Thanks! Looks like B's out in front pretty far now.

kimcar: Hi, there! We've got ourselves a vote for C, too! Thanks for voting, my friend!

Piotr (Sheep49): Hi, Piotr! Your analysis was neither useless nor over-the-top—it was quite helpful, my friend! You pointed out some things that I would not have thought of otherwise, which is always a wonderful thing! Thank you so much for your very insightful input!

Dan (dsrwhat316): Hello, there! At this time, I hereby give you expressed permission to hijack at any time you see fit, especially if you're going to provide such indispensable advice, my friend! All kidding aside, though, I don't consider it hijacking at all—you've been very helpful to me, both here and in your tutorials, while I've been trying to hone my LE skills. Your double overlay texture idea is a great one, and now that you've shown me how, I will implementing it, regardless of where we land on base textures. Thank you so very much, Dan, for all your help! Hope to see you again soon!

Isaac (Masochist): Hi, there, Isaac! Of course I remember you, my friend, and Condor Bay! It's so wonderful to see you, not only here in Marathon, but also back around SC4D. Thank you so much for your very great comment, too. It makes me feel so great to know that you and others appreciate my work here. Without you guys, all of this would be for naught! I hope to see you around more often, Isaac. Take care, my friend!

Well, well, well!

Seems like Texture B is quite the prohibitive favorite for our train station section! Thank you all so very much for taking the time to check things out and give your input. I appreciate your help, friends!

Our good friend Isaac (Masochist) made the suggestion above for the texture question:

Perhaps (if you wanted to spare the time) you could take, say, the top three voted-upon textures and fill out the entire plaza with each one, then take a picture or two of each?  Just an idea; I just know that what looks good close up might not match what you're going for from far away.

Well, I think this is a great idea, Isaac, and I'm going to get right on it, my friend! I'll re-texture the area with textures B, C, and E, and we'll go from there.

In the meantime, though...

I little something I was playing around with down in southwestern Marathon. I've really had a fascination with the low-income side of things lately, for some reason.

Back to the LE!

Alfred.Jones

Quote from: thundercrack83 on March 03, 2009, 01:18:13 AM
I've really had a fascination with the low-income side of things lately, for some reason.
What ever the reason Dustin, they look fantastic :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

art128

Wow Dustin, you're a master with those low wealth buildings.
This mosaic looks really wonderful and a bit Dirty cause of those buildings.
Well, i'm not very inspired this time, soo note a long comment. /wrrd%&
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

metarvo

Low-wealth buildings are a must for a complete city, IMHO, and they certainly do look good in Marathon.  Nice work, Dustin!  :thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

metasmurf

Nice mosaic! I like the project housing :)