• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

emilin

Wow! That looks amazing. Really, it does... &apls

I can't believe you managed to get that density of spruces using mayor mode flora. It must have taken hours and hours of work. I have been trying to learn how to make God Mode tree controllers, but I'm still far from mastering it. But the plan is to make a controller using only pines and furs (or any nonseasonal tree in the real sense of the word) for easy placement together with the kind of seasonal leaf tree lots that you released.

Anyways: good to see all the progress, and  :thumbsup:

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

ldvger

David-

Well, I have decided the only way to learn the things I want/need to learn about terraforming and creating nauralistic landscapes is to study the master and begin at page one.  So, I have been reading your original posts from the very beginning of 3RR over at ST, taking notes at the tutorials and downloading/installing mods and tools along the way.  I'm all the way up to page 12 now and have to say my only source of frustration now is that I am unable to view your posts in thier entirety.  Any post with pics in it run wide off my screen to the left or the right, and the only scroll button that corrects this is at the bottom of your posts rather than at the bottom of my screen.  As most of the picture posts are also the tutorial posts, and therefore lengthy with lots of text and pictures, it's nearly impossible for me to read a single line of instructional text without having to scroll to the bottom of the post, slide the bar to the left, scroll back up to the same line of text, finish reading that line, then scroll back down and slide the bar right, then back up to start the next line of text...you get the picture.  However, until I find a way to fix this, I guess I have no choice.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Will resetting my monitor resolution settings help?  They are currently set at 1024x768...

Lora

projectadam

Quote from: ldvger on March 26, 2009, 04:53:47 PM
David-

Well, I have decided the only way to learn the things I want/need to learn about terraforming and creating nauralistic landscapes is to study the master and begin at page one.  So, I have been reading your original posts from the very beginning of 3RR over at ST, taking notes at the tutorials and downloading/installing mods and tools along the way.  I'm all the way up to page 12 now and have to say my only source of frustration now is that I am unable to view your posts in thier entirety.  Any post with pics in it run wide off my screen to the left or the right, and the only scroll button that corrects this is at the bottom of your posts rather than at the bottom of my screen.  As most of the picture posts are also the tutorial posts, and therefore lengthy with lots of text and pictures, it's nearly impossible for me to read a single line of instructional text without having to scroll to the bottom of the post, slide the bar to the left, scroll back up to the same line of text, finish reading that line, then scroll back down and slide the bar right, then back up to start the next line of text...you get the picture.  However, until I find a way to fix this, I guess I have no choice.

Does anyone have any suggestions?  Will resetting my monitor resolution settings help?  They are currently set at 1024x768...

Lora

I do not know if that would cause problems or not but my resolution is set at 1280 x 960. You could always try it and hopefully it will work.
The Constitutional Monarchy of Ichigamin

Terraforming Update (8/25/09)

dedgren

Ka-BOOM!!!

Alaska Volcano Observatory, all rights reserved

This is Redoubt Volcano a few minutes ago from an Alaska Volcano Observatory [linkie] live cam seven and a half miles/12 kilometers from the summit.  An eruption around 9:30 AST (GMT-9) this morning shot ash to 65,000 feet/20,000 meters.  Flights in and out of Anchorage have been canceled again.

One more day of heavy-duty briefing, then a three-day weekend, as Monday is Seward's Day [linkie].  I'll try to get back this evening to respond to a few great recent posts, but no promises.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

calibanX

I just thought I would touch base with you on your farm field edge pieces David. I love the work you were doing. I enjoy working my rural areas much more than I do my dense cities, and I'm looking forward seeing what you release. I have my own custom edging for my fields but I'm not entirely satisfied.

Also, I'm quite excited for the new 3RR project. I've seen the creativity in the forums and in the City Journal section of many of the names on that list of participants. I'm looking forward to the first posting of images!

Where City and Country Flow Together

Ryan B.

"Aaaaand . . . . . WHAMMY!"

Quote & image taken from the motion picture film "Anchorman:  The Legend of Ron Burgundy".

Pat

SO David she blew her top then? Even from the night shot I just viewed it looks pretty impressive still...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

bakerton

David, you seem to get all of the action while we here in Southeast Wisconsin are bracing for a major snow strom or blizzard. Good thing I don't live in Denver area as they got slamed with white out blizzard and Fargo, ND as they are all flooded out. Be safe and have a great Seward's Day. JKB
beam me up.... please!
I am the lurker that hides in all the corners and you can't get me out. You may try, but you can't.Please call me Jon or Jonathan.

Lmac

Quote from: burgsabre87 on March 26, 2009, 08:13:34 PM
"Aaaaand . . . . . WHAMMY!"

Quote & image taken from the motion picture film "Anchorman:  The Legend of Ron Burgundy".

ooh don't get me started on anchorman quotes :P

bat

Really really beautiful pictures of these wonderful looking streets! And wonderful work on the flora there!

Looking forward to more...

btw, my 6900th post

Rayden

Quote from: dedgren on March 26, 2009, 06:47:06 PM
Ka-BOOM!!!

This is Redoubt Volcano a few minutes ago from an Alaska Volcano Observatory [linkie] live cam seven and a half miles/12 kilometers from the summit.  An eruption around 9:30 AST (GMT-9) this morning shot ash to 65,000 feet/20,000 meters.  Flights in and out of Anchorage have been canceled again.

One more day of heavy-duty briefing, then a three-day weekend, as Monday is Seward's Day [linkie].  I'll try to get back this evening to respond to a few great recent posts, but no promises.

Later.

David

Did the blast in 89 affected the Wasilla area and were you there? I know Wasilla it's around 130 miles away, but did the ashes reached that far?

EDITSilvio, I wasn't here- arrived two years later.  Wasilla did received some ashfall over the five months of eruptions.  The main consequence of Redoubt's eruption then was the near-crash of KLM Flight 867 [linkie]. -DE

dedgren

Just another drive-by...

This is your typical 3RR "seasonal tree, country road, fences, poles, and fields" pic.

What's special about it is that pretty much everything is oriented diagonally.

Those are plop fences, plop poles, diagonal SAM, and seasonal tree lots (and inflatable cows, truth be told).

The "treeline" seasonal tree lots were the last piece of the "edges" issues I've been working out before releasing that long-promised set of fencelines.  That set has now pretty much turned into an integrated rural landscape "gridbreaker" consisting of fields, fencelines, and treelines.  I think I've finally hit the formula I've been looking for- and have a long weekend ahead to wrap it up for you.

Have a great Friday- volcano's quiet today.  Off to work.

David

270220 - another 20,000+ page view month, which is pretty amazing given my lengthy posting absences over the past couple of weeks.  Thanks so much, folks!

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Rayden

Quote from: Rayden on March 27, 2009, 08:06:58 AM
Did the blast in 89 affected the Wasilla area and were you there? I know Wasilla it's around 130 miles away, but did the ashes reached that far?

EDITSilvio, I wasn't here- arrived two years later.  Wasilla did received some ashfall over the five months of eruptions.  The main consequence of Redoubt's eruption then was the near-crash of KLM Flight 867 [linkie]. -DE

I saw that news about the flight, scary! That's why now they immediately cancel/delay most of the flights in Anchorage as soon the activity on Spurr, Redoubt, Iliamna, and Augustine reaches the orange alert status. Yes, I've been reading  $%Grinno$%

Pat

David your right nothing to abnormal anymore here in 3RR lol oooh wait a second here ummm did I just say abnormal lol

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

LE0

is it possible soon to have seasonal mayors trees that you plop and leave alone? they just change by themself

i love 3rr :)

EDITI continue to work on those in my spare time, but it's a long, slow slog.  Thanks for your continued interest, my friend. -DE
Leoland coming Spring 2009

metarvo

I have never looked at the grid (or the game) the same way since becoming a 3RR Regular.  I approve of any diagonals as long as they're good, and these certainly are.  I realize that you are quite busy now, David, but even a weekly visit to 3RR means so much to me, and many others, I'm sure.  Keep up the good work!

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

bob56

Quote from: dedgren on March 26, 2009, 06:47:06 PM
Ka-BOOM!!!

Alaska Volcano Observatory, all rights reserved

Later.

David

Did anyone check the current webcam on the observatory link? pure ash.  Hope you aren't affected and the wind blows the other way...

btw, nice 'typical' pictures
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

ldvger

David-

I hope I am not the bearer of bad news, but it seems ST has taken down all that remained of 3RR now that they have moved thier site to Twitter.  I understand the reason why this may have happened, I'm just kinda lost as I was on page 12 and the earliest page you have managed to move here to SC4D is (last I checked) page 33.  So that's 21  pages of information I fear I am going to never be able to gain learning from.  **Sigh**

That's what happens when you take a 2 1/2 year haitus, as I did.  I find these great resources for all the things I missed out on years ago only to have them *poof* diasappear on me one day.  But it's all OK.  That's the way things work sometimes, I know.  No critisims pointed in any directions. 

As for volcanos...I lived here in Washington State in 1980 when Mt. St. Helens blew her top.  I lived n the upper reaches of the Skagit River Valley, almost 200 miles north and many mountains and foothills between us and the mountain.  We were living on the valley floor and the initial explosion blew the windows out of the south side of the house.  My boyfriend was downstairs making pancakes for breakfast when it happened and was cut by flying glass.  He thought it was a logging outfit across the valley blasting in a new road, hahahaha.  But I jumped out of bed and said turn on the tv, turn on the radio, I bet that was Mt. St. Helens.  He said no, it wouldn't come this far north. 

Well, I was right and he was wrong.  We ended up renting a private 6 passenger plane with some friends that day and flying down to see the whole thing, or at least as close as we could get.  I am an amatuer shutterbug and so took my camera.  Got some great shots, plane wing included in some, to give scale. 

When we finally got home in the late afternoon, we had to clean up all the broken glass and call the landlord to have a glazier come out to replace it.  The pancakes,which we had left on the stove, were studded with little pieces of glass, too, so we threw them out (of course). 

The force of the planet is awesome. 

Lora/LD

deathtopumpkins

3RR-ST's all still there. Right in the same place it always has been. Just search the CJ board for 3RR or, if you know how to build a URL for ST, its threadid=74819
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

turtle

Hey guys,

Maybe I missed something, when you say ploppable fences, are they Chrisadams lot plops with the transparent waterbug thingy, or did you do something to avoid that? I seem to remember you did something with them...?
Everything looks amazing as always :)

Thanks,
Thomas

EDITThomas, they are ploppable without the "water bug" effect, and are on the 3RREX here [linkie].  -DE
My name is Thomas...