• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Emil's inn - maps and more

Started by emilin, September 26, 2008, 03:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emilin

This is where i show my stuff. Mostly maps, but I suspect there will be other things in the future too.

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

art128

Hey, I can't wait to see some of your work  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

emilin

My first maps (all feedback is welcome)

Mount Everest and Lhotse

Mount Everest, also known as Chomolungma, is the highest mountain in the world at 8.848 m. Like all of the world's highest peaks it is located in Asia. The mountain was first climbed in 1953 by the New Zealander Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay from Nepal.

Lhotse is the world's 4th highest mountain at 8.414 m. It is probably best known for it's proximity to Mount Everest (ascending Everest from the south route includes traversing parts of the northwest face of Lhotse). However, the south face of the mountain has great rise over local terrain. Lhotse was first climbed in 1956 by Ernst Reiss and Fritz Luchsinger from Switzerland.

This map includes both Everest and Lhotse and also several other minor peaks in the vicinity. It has obviously been lowered to fit game standards, but the rise over local terrain is completely unaltered.

K2 and Broad Peak

K2, also known as Mount Godwin Austen or Chogori (this name is dubious since it appears to mean just "big mountain" in the local language, and might have been a sort of joke or misunderstanding), is the second highest mountain in the world at 8.611 m, and by many mountaineers considered the most difficult to summit. It is located in the Karakorum range in northern Pakistan. The mountain was first climbed in 1954 by Italians Lino Lacedelli and Achille Compagnoni.

Broad Peak, also known as Faichan Kangri, is the 12th highest mountain in the world at 8.047 m. Besides its' proximity to K2 it is also known for its' extended (broad) summit, hence the name. It was first climbed in 1957 by Austrians Fritz Wintersteller, Marcus Schmuck, Kurt Diemberger, and Hermann Buhl.

This map includes both K2 and Broad Peak and also several other minor peaks in the vicinity. It has been lowered to fit game standards, and also compressed with approximately 300 m less rise over local terrain to avoid glitches in the region view.

Kanchenjunga

Kanchenjunga is the third highest mountain in the world at 8.586 m. It is located at the Eastern border of Nepal. In my humble opinion it is also the most beautiful of all the +8.000 mountains in the world. It also has a very high rise over local terrain. According to religious beliefs the summit is sacred and most expeditions honor this by stopping their ascent a few meters short of the actual summit. Kanchengjunga was first climbed in 1955 by Joe Brown and George Band from Britain.

This map includes Kanchenjunga, and also several other minor peaks in the vicinity. This includes the mountain Jannu, southwest of Kanchenjunga, that is famous for its' extremely steep and difficult slopes.

BlackwaterEmil's inn

papab2000

Those mountains are so majestic. Nice job  :thumbsup:

Visit my mapping thread: linkie
Post pic's of your NHP Mapped Regions linkie

art128

awesome mountain maps Emilin  &apls great job  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Diggis

Wow... those are amazing... Always wondered what it would be like to populate such an area...

Simpson

Emilin, your map is absolutly super and so réalistic. I love the mountains  &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

blade2k5

Wow! :o  Those are amazing emilin! &apls  Where oh where did you get the DEM data for those maps?  I know the place I get international DEM from doesn't have nearly as good quality as what you have there, it looks to be 1/3 arc data. 

Again, fantastic work on those, I almost thought for a moment beskhu3penm was back since the quality of your maps are so similar to his.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.

warconstruct

Wow these chart are splendid, a work perfect!!
Province of Acadia since 2020
Province of Zillerthal (2014)
Port Aux Captes (2009-2011)
Province of Trieste (2006-2010)
Since SC4D 2007-2022

pvarcoe

Beautiful Mountains! I love them!
Are you using any special snow mod with those shots?

Heblem

Great mountains ranges!!  :thumbsup: &apls and  great to see you active in map making  ;)

thundercrack83

WOW! What a set of maps, my friend! Those mountains are just gorgeous!

I like the Everest one the best, though that may just be because I finished reading The Kid Who Climbed Everest some time ago, about Bear Grylls climbing Everest at 23 years old.

Excellent work! Just excellent!

Dustin

Yoman

Wow, on the top down views you can see the glaciers running out into valleys. The next plopable phenomenon, glaciers :P

emilin

papab2000: Thanks!

art128: Thank you!

Pat: Hehe... thanks!

Diggis: Thank you! And I guess the answer would be "sparsely". I'm actually not sure what would happen if zoning at that altitude. I guess usabilty wasn't really top priority for these, hehe...

Simpson: Thank you!

blade2k5: Check your messages. ;-)

warconstruct: Thanks!

pvarcoe: Just the old Columbus mod (with highest elevation for snow levels). I tried it with the "jagged edges mod" to get rid of some unevensies, but the result wasn't very good. Almost all the snow on the slopes dissapeared.

Heblem: Thank you! As usual it seems that you are responsible for almost everything I do with this game. ;D

thundercrack83: Thanks! I like Everest the best too since there is no compression for that region. Many of the highest mountains in the world rise so high above local terrain that the areas have to be compressed considerably to fit with game standards.

Yoman: Isn't there already ploppable snow on the LEX? ;D

----------------------

That was a warm welcome indeed. It's good to know that the first batch of maps was appriciated. I'm going to do three more sometime during the weekend (probably uploading pictures on Sunday night), and if those are appriciated in the same way I will start packing them up and have them scrutinized for a proper release.

These are quite small maps, so I'm thinking 3 at a time in minipacks is probably the best way to release them. Is that a correct assumption?

Oh... and I forgot, I'm officially calling this "The 14 Summits project" as of now, since I will be doing all of the +8.000 meter mountains. ;D

BlackwaterEmil's inn

blade2k5

Got your PM emilin and sent a reply :thumbsup:

dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦

emilin

More mountains...

OK. Three more coming up right here. Dhaulagiri posed a lot of difficulty with the extreme elevation differences involved. Other than that it was pretty straight forward, though I have done a few touchups where the DEM:s were obviously missing information.

Enjoy!

Makalu

Makalu is the 5th highest mountain in the world at 8.462 meters. It is located just 22 km east of Mount Everest, and the mountain marked Junction Peak on this map is actually the easternmost part of the Everest massif. Makalu is shaped as a foursided pyramid with rather steep slopes and is considered one of the harder mountains to summit. It was first climbed in 1955 by Lionel Terray and Jean Couzy from France.

This map includes Makalu, and also several other minor peaks in the vicinity. This includes the dramatic Chomo Lonzo.

Cho Oyu

Cho Oyo is the 6th highest mountain in the world at 8.201 meters. It is located in Nepal, some distance west of Mount Everest. Unlike many other of peaks on this list it does not rise extremely high over local terrain. The slopes are moderate and it is often mentioned as the easiest +8.000 meter mountain to summit. Cho Oyo was first climbed in 1954 by Austrians Herbert Tichy and Joseph Jöchler and Sherpa Pasang Dawa Lama from Nepal.

This map includes Cho Oyo, and also several other minor peaks in the vicinity.

Dhaulagiri

Dhaulagiri is the 7th highest mountain in the world at 8.167 meters. It is located in the southern part of the Nepalese Himalayas and has a tremendous rise over local terrain. It stands almost 7.000 meters above Kali Gandaki gorge - that has been cut off from this particular map for practical reasons (it lays just easy of this region). The peak is considered difficult to summit both for its' technical difficulty and for the objective dangers involved. Dhaulagiri was first climbed in 1960 by Kurt Diemberger, Peter Diener, Ernst Forrer, Albin Schelbert, Nyima Dorji and Nawang Dorji, members of a Swiss/Austrian expedition.

This map includes Dhaulagiri, and also several other minor peaks in the vicinity. It has been compressed by almost 800 meters to avoid glitches in the region view (so you can imagine how impressive it really is).

BlackwaterEmil's inn

papab2000

Visit my mapping thread: linkie
Post pic's of your NHP Mapped Regions linkie

blade2k5

Absolutely superbly mind-boggling stunning maps emilin &apls 

Ennedi

Beautiful RL photos and beautiful maps Emil!  &apls

Thank you for sharing them, even if it will be difficult to build a big city on one of these maps, a good player can use it to make something really unique!
I guess we should think about more terrain mods shortly... ;)
(And there are some possibilities to make something with straight snow edges, I would experiment with these maps with pleasure  ;))

Adam :thumbsup:
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine