• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rhizome21

that was my first attempt (not an image from my city)

on this antic

i can't believe the progress that were made !

metarvo

While we're on this subject, does anyone besides me know about the "stacking" technique in SC Classic, that allowed one to compress their 3x3 zones to get a larger population?  When you bulldoze away one edge of a Residential zone (Residential is the only zone with which you can start a "stack"), you can then build a zone or other building overlapping the residential zone.  If the new zone develops, you can bulldoze and rebuild the old residential zone and it will develop.

:o

Wow, that's ancient, rhizome21!  What would happen if you tried to install SC4 on that machine?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

BigSlark

Quote from: jestarr on January 15, 2009, 10:36:02 AM
About the weather;  it hurt my feelings, considerably, when I heard this morning that the current temperature in Fairbanks was the same as it was on my back porch.  :D

That's pretty amazing for Louisiana, Jess. Here in Jackson, Mississippi its a balmy 24F at 9 am...there's something very, very wrong with this situation!

Oh, and happy late birthday, Matt!

Cheers,
Kevin

rhizome21

Quote from: metarvo on January 16, 2009, 06:52:05 AM

Wow, that's ancient, rhizome21!  What would happen if you tried to install SC4 on that machine?

with all 3RR material, problably something like that

debutterfly

Thanks David. I got the RurRoads. Also I'm using the STR beta files until the final release. All of the pieces I have used so far work and are compatable with the NAM and RHW. Yet again a job well done. ;)

-Larry (debutterfly)

thundercrack83

Wow, what a wonderful birthday celebration for our good friend Matt!

Happy birthday, Matt--a little belated, I do apologize!

And wonderful tribute, David! Things like this here at 3RR make me so glad to call it my second home!

Take care!

Dustin

Glazert

Ah, rhizome21, the nostalgia! I also had SimCity on the Amiga. It was very addictive.

Metarvo, if you tried to install SC4 on the Amiga, not a lot would happen, since the Amiga ran AmigaOS, not MS-DOS (or Mac-OS).

I have to say that the landscaping features in SC4 are altogether in a different league from the original SimCity, Even the inventiveness of people in this forum needed SC4 to improve on.

Albus of Garaway

Thanks for responding. :)

Going back into the game, I agree that the sidewalk textures are disgusting. They're so white and bright! I'm sure you'll have a fix for it soon, and I'll be right by your side as soon as you get to it! ;)

mayorfabz

OK, I admit it, I have been lurking a lot these past months. Looking at what you guys have created, I must say I was simply intimidated to say the least, and didn't dare posting on this forum. But I cannot resist any longer: you guys are amazing. You've turned this game into a piece of art. A million thanks for your prodigious work.
Something bugs me though: now that I finally have the opportunity to use FARR etc., I find that my cities suck. They look like #, whereas RL looks like §. I'm gonna have to discard them all and start anew.  :'( The work of a lifetime down the drain...

Frozen greetings from Montréal (-22°C)
Fabien

bwatterud

Quote from: debutterfly on January 15, 2009, 06:21:21 AMhey david...Why weren't Rural Roads and SLR not in this current NAM Release.   Will they be added as a separate entity. Anyway, I can't wait to actually play the game with the new NAM and RHW.   Happy post-RHW Day!!! And thanks to all of the great work of the NAM team. 
-Larry (debutterfly)
EDIT:  Larry, the Rural Roads & STR will be released later.  They will be fully compatible with the January '09 NAM.  I believe the phrase David used was 'plug & play'.  -Ryan
EDITThanks, Ryan- you are exactly correct.  I'll likely have the Rural Roads out over the weekend (hint- if you have the last beta file I distributed, just put it in your NAM plugins folder.  You'll have everything but the readme).  The STR is really close- we deliberately put work on it aside to focus on yesterday's NAM release.  The last default pieces will probably be completed over the weekend- that will give us a complete set to look at from top to bottom.  The NAM is basically ready for the STR, so it won't be a matter of waiting for the next release- we will be able to do an update.  I appreciate the great post, Larry. -DE

I'm confused.  Wasn't there an optional Rural Roads Plugin included with the NAM?  Or is that something else?  (The file in question is "NetworkAddonMod_Rural_Roads_Plugin.dat")

Andreas

The file "NetworkAddonMod_Rural_Roads_Plugin.dat" is not included in the NAM, but the beta that was released by David is fully compatible with the new NAM version - that means, if you have have that file, you can use it without any problems. We decided to leave out the Rural Roads for the time being, as the concept is still in its early stages, plus it's simply a texture variation rather than providing something new (similar to the SAM, which is a texture variation for the streets, and thus, released separately).

EDIT: I just realized that you are a Mac user - I accidentially included that plugin in the Mac version of the NAM, as I simply packed my source folder and forgot to remove that file from the ZIP. Oh well, see it as an additional bonus. ;)
Andreas

dedgren

Heh!  I just really hate the grid.

Waiting on something tonight, I started to doodle...

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

CabraBuitre

re: SC4's birthday...

I got hooked with SimCity Classic... then upgraded to Sim City 2000.  Several years later, I was walking through Best Buy and saw SC4 and thought back to the days of my youth... and that was 4.5 years ago!  Rush Hour was out already and I purchased the "deluxe" edition right off the bat.  After playing it for a while, I put it away... then I came back a year or so later and discovered Simtrop and many (way too many) hours later... I'm here and reading away!

Check out Abelfarei!

Jmouse

Oh boy, here we go again! :D

Later...
Joan

Jonathan

How many curves are we going to get ?
Can't wait to see what's next,
Who's Will Wright, when we have David?  ;)

Jonathan

darraghf

Hey where can I get the str beta? Or can I get it at all?

EDITHang in there just a bit longer, my friend.  The community's already waited six years- a few more days isn't going to make any difference. -DE
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

JoeST

thats just crazy david... crazy
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

girlfromverona

You are my hero, David!  ;D

frdrcklim

Who's up for another version of NAM :D? I think it's coming soon :D.
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

metarvo

I'm sorry to crash the party here, but I am having trouble with the Rural Roads since I installed the new NAM and RHW.  STR works fine, but the Rural Roads don't appear in the menu, and they become invisible in the cities in which I have built them.  The Rural Roads file is located in the Plugins subfolder of the NAM folder, and I'm sure it's the latest version.

On a much more positive note, here I am, staring at what seems to be a 45-degree wide curve for a street, and a SAM dirt street, no less.  A year ago, I would have been surprised to see this kind of development so soon after a new NAM release.  Now, I realize that it's normal for 3RR.  Way to go, David!

:thumbsup:

EDITHey, metarvo- sorry you are having an issue with the Rural Roads.  My guess is that you have conflict somewhere due to your mention of the STR- if it's working for you with the new NAM, you have at least one modified controller file in there somewhere.  I have a clean "Jan '09" NAM install with the Rural Roads plugin in the plugins folder and it works fine.

That's freshly laid Rural Road pavement, with the RHW menu pulled up to show that all is functional.  I think we might be solving your problem, er... imminently.

...yeah, that's the ticket- imminently...

Thanks for letting us know about this.
-DE
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.