• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Dependency torrent or somesuch

Started by zwaps, April 02, 2008, 12:50:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zwaps

Sooner or later, my Sim City installation usually breaks.
Right now, when I move the the northeast of a map, the graphics start to have a strange error that is almost like "not updating" the view or something - it ends with bits and piecec of the map just randomly garbled over the screen.

Looking through the dependency list here, there are almost 15 pages of depdencies that I would have to download to make sure I get them all.
Everyone has his own Textures and Prop zipfile, usually even volumes 1 through X, scattered across several sites I might not even know yet.

Has there ever been an attempt to put all those things together in a torrent or something like that?

I am currently contemplating wether or not to start a new plugin folder, or just ignore the error. I'd imagine if I go ahead and download all dependencies, I will be busy for two days or so. If I have to search the folders each time I install a new building, and really, I install quite a lot of them, it would take even longer.

Or maybe some member could put up their "dependencies" folder on rapidshare for us newbies to download.

Jonathan

As far as I know most creators do not allow their content to be packaged in torrents and such.
Yuos hould not download dependancys you don't need, in otherwords don't download every single dependacy you can lay your hands on, it can cause errors and slow down you PC, never mind waste space. If you have downloaded only the dependancys you need then remove plugins that you don't use.

wouanagaine

Just check you still have your Background3D0.png to Background3D4.png in your Maxis/Simcity 4/Plugins folder
if not it is likely you grab an old cleanitol file that by mistake removes png, which in that case can be found and restored in your MyDoc/Simcity 4/Cleanitol folder or you can grab some new background on STEX

And forget about torrent, this has been discussed many times, and despites having some pros, the cons outfit the benefits

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Tarkus

zwaps, welcome to SC4D! 

There has been some discussion of the torrent idea, but it is not a viable option for a number of reasons, as it is not easily updated and thus would become outdated quickly, plus one would need to secure permission from the creators of each asset included in the torrent.  I also fail to see how doing a torrent would be easier, as if one knows how to work a torrent, they should be able to figure out how to install dependency packages.

As far as uploading one's Plugins to Rapidshare, it's very heavily frowned upon in the community, and anyone who engages in such an act will have their membership here terminated.  See here for a further explanation.

Most of the items that require dependencies, at least those here on the LEX, will have all of them clearly marked, either on the description page or in the Readme.  Once you've downloaded a fair amount of custom content, you'll have many of the major dependency packages. 

Hope that answers your questions.

-Alex (Tarkus)

zwaps

Seems like I don't have Background3D0.png in my folder, but I also didn't find it in the cleanitool folder.
Well at least that seems to be my problem.

I will not attempt a new installation, followed by the following:
- Download Addon and sort by importance, for example NAM first etc.
- At the same time, add a folder where I save the dependencies I download, so I won't download twice
- Install plugins in directory "B", after that install all collected dependencies in plugin folder "A"

It's going to take a while, but I hope it works better than before.

One question about something that might be a bug.
I often use maps that I import via STRG-ALT-SHIFT-R, however sometimes it doesn't seem to render some cities in the region view, so they stay plain green grass. Others are rendered perfectly. How can I fix this?

Edit: It seems like I have permanentely gotten rid of my Background3D0.png pictures.
Is there a place where I can get them back without reinstalling?

wouanagaine

Quote from: zwaps on April 02, 2008, 01:45:47 PM
One question about something that might be a bug.
I often use maps that I import via STRG-ALT-SHIFT-R, however sometimes it doesn't seem to render some cities in the region view, so they stay plain green grass. Others are rendered perfectly. How can I fix this?
make sure that during the whole process, SC4 has the focus ( ie no MSN popup etc.. )

Edit: It seems like I have permanentely gotten rid of my Background3D0.png pictures.
Is there a place where I can get them back without reinstalling?
I think there are on the SC4 CD

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

zwaps

Quote from: wouanagaine on April 02, 2008, 01:58:00 PM
make sure that during the whole process, SC4 has the focus ( ie no MSN popup etc.. )
I think there are on the SC4 CD

Makes sense, I will regenerate those regions. I was surfing all the while ;)

wouanagaine

New Horizons Productions

xxdita

Another shameless plug for Wou, that will help with downloading everything on the LEX.
Use BSC LEX Downloader http://www.sc4devotion.com/csxlex/lex_filedesc.php?lotGET=841