• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RAM (Rail Addon Mod) - Development Thread

Started by dedgren, October 16, 2008, 12:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jdenm8

There have been experiments with having draggable networks cutting into the ground, but SC4's graphics engine gets confused and it just doesn't work.

"We're making SimCity, not some dopey casual game." -Ocean Quigley

Kitsune

Quote from: jdenm8 on September 01, 2011, 06:22:24 PM
There have been experiments with having draggable networks cutting into the ground, but SC4's graphics engine gets confused and it just doesn't work.

are we sure its sc4 limitations and not computer limitations? Even though this game is very old, it is still quite capable of putting a serious machine in a bit of stress.
~ NAM Team Member

jdenm8

It. Is. A. Game. Limitation.

It is to do with how the graphics engine orders the models.
It always renders the ground first. However, the ordering for 3D networks are different. The necessary settings to get the model to render after the ground made it render it last, and therefore in front of everything else (buildings, other draggable networks, so on).
Without these settings, it would render before the ground and the ground would ignore the LOD (no visible traffic).
Not to mention that the models don't transform correctly.
LOT-based approaches work since the way that the game handles models on LOTs, but it does not work on draggable networks (EDIT) or Puzzle Pieces.

DAB_City

Are you also considering one-way STR in addition to the other networks, as well as two-way track crossovers (as in the FARR, but both ways - see link) and suitable transitions? Elevated and FLUP versions as well? That would be very useful...  :-\

Thank you very much anyway for the great job you have been doing, and I look forward to RAM 2.0!  :)

(Double-Track) Crossover: http://www.bripizza.net/sc4/miniItem/item.html

Ideal track types (shown as RHD, swap necessary tracks for LHD):

STR (One-Way/Bi-Directional)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (One-Way)

<><><><><><><><><><><><> (Bi-Directional, current STR)

DTR (Maxis)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< (Built-in Maxis)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

TTR

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<><><><><><><><><><><><> (Middle is bi-directional)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (Middle is one-way)
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

QTR

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< (Local/Express configuration)

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> (Equivalent to two parallel Maxis tracks)
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

http://www.simtropolis.com/forum/user/360022-dab-city/

Jonathan

With TTR, currently the middle track is bidirectional, with the outer tracks in opposite directions.
The problem with having a variety of paths is it could get confusing, how would the user know what paths were on previously laid track (without using the draw paths cheat, which not everyone has or knows about)?
Also each network takes quite a while to create in the RULs, while the textures would already be done. The current RULs could;t be copied and pasted for networks with one way paths, you can't see it much in the game (although if you look at some networks like road you'll notice the double yellow lines don't quite match up on some tiles) but the textures are flipped and rotated and you can't tell which way as the textures are symmetrical. Maybe in RAM 4.0 different varieties of current networks can be created, but they won't make it to RAM 2.0 or 3.0 :/

Elevated STR is considered and mostly implemented (but this may or may not make 2.0) :)

DAB_City

Quote from: Jonathan on September 02, 2011, 02:40:12 PM
With TTR, currently the middle track is bidirectional, with the outer tracks in opposite directions.
The problem with having a variety of paths is it could get confusing, how would the user know what paths were on previously laid track (without using the draw paths cheat, which not everyone has or knows about)?
Also each network takes quite a while to create in the RULs, while the textures would already be done. The current RULs could;t be copied and pasted for networks with one way paths, you can't see it much in the game (although if you look at some networks like road you'll notice the double yellow lines don't quite match up on some tiles) but the textures are flipped and rotated and you can't tell which way as the textures are symmetrical. Maybe in RAM 4.0 different varieties of current networks can be created, but they won't make it to RAM 2.0 or 3.0 :/

Elevated STR is considered and mostly implemented (but this may or may not make 2.0) :)

Good point. It would also matter which way round the starter stubs were positioned, but at least STR One-Way would be useful... Are you also thinking about implementing FLUP?

Thanks anyway  :)  &apls
Hello SimCity Devotees! If you want to find out more about me, why not visit my profile? Free drinks and biscuits, if that would tempt anyone ;)

Jonathan

FLUPs won't be hard to implement, it will just need a tunnel, and underground the trains can use the dual track paths, as you can't see them. But it's not on the current list of things to do (at least for me) so it might not make 2.0

DAB_City

Quote from: Jonathan on September 03, 2011, 02:48:13 AM
FLUPs won't be hard to implement, it will just need a tunnel, and underground the trains can use the dual track paths, as you can't see them. But it's not on the current list of things to do (at least for me) so it might not make 2.0

For STR, all you would need to do would be change the tunnel entrance, as all the puzzle pieces are already built into the NAM. Shouldn't be too hard, as it would probably only require a slight tweaking of the texture...

Never mind, at least there are many great things for us to look forward to!  :thumbsup:

strucka

Is it possible to have only freight trains on these ''special'' tracks? For instance on the middle bi-directional track of the TTR?

kassarc16

Quote from: strucka on September 03, 2011, 03:47:00 PMIs it possible to have only freight trains on these ''special'' tracks? For instance on the middle bi-directional track of the TTR?

Probably just with traffic control lots, though I wonder if it's possible to have the middle tracks inaccessible from adjacent lots or zones, thus making the center tracks express tracks. Since it's all one tile, probably not, just like capacity, I would think.

Jonathan

Someone could make a lot to block or allow only freight trains, but this won't be included in the RAM, as we don't do lots. By splitting the TTR into 3 separate tiles and then placing traffic control lots on each, you might be able to prevent freight trains on just the middle rail, but I doubt this would be stable (or even useful).

The capacity of TTR will be the same as STR and DTR, we may be able to overcome this by using a network other than rail for TTR, but this is not thought about yet. And it is not possible to make the centre track an express, since the game does everything based on tiles.

pimmapman

How do they manage to change the capacity for say MIS and RHW4?

jdenm8

Quote from: pimmapman on September 03, 2011, 05:11:39 PM
How do they manage to change the capacity for say MIS and RHW4?
We don't. They have the same capacity and speed, as does OWR-1 compared to OWR-2. There's always DIPs, but they've been fiddly of late, especially with the paths squished up near the side of the tile like we'll be having.

EDIT: Fixed DIPs as per Ganaram's correction below  :-X :P

GDO29Anagram

Quote from: jdenm8 on September 03, 2011, 05:23:50 PM
There's always SIPs, but they've been fiddly of late, especially with the paths squished up near the side of the tile like we'll be having.

Don't you mean DIPs (Distilled Intersection Paths)...?  ()what()
<INACTIVE>
-----
Simtropolis | YouTube | MLP Forums

Ilikeanrhw

Quote from: LE0 on February 03, 2009, 08:41:58 AM
So is STR like One way Rail? :)
Looks that way.  :) The STR only directs one direction.  :-[

(\__/) Watch out! I think everyday is a toaster day.
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy bunny into your signature to help
(")_(")him gain world domination. Bunny loves weasels. So you too. :)

jdenm8

No, STR is not One Way Rail at all. It functions like most real-life examples, carrying two directions of traffic on one track. This is also how the centre track on TTR will work.

Ilikeanrhw

Quote from: jdenm8 on November 06, 2011, 12:31:15 AM
No, STR is not One Way Rail at all. It functions like most real-life examples, carrying two directions of traffic on one track. This is also how the centre track on TTR will work.
So you mean: If southbound (I'm using Right hand drive) trains are straight trip and the double track rail becomes a STR, the northbound trains should be going in the same direction?
Diagram:

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Southbound trains<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>             Empty tile                             >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
(\__/) Watch out! I think everyday is a toaster day.
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy bunny into your signature to help
(")_(")him gain world domination. Bunny loves weasels. So you too. :)

jdenm8

The directionality will not change, the whatever train will just move onto the single track, regardless of its heading. STR is NOT One Way Rail.

If you provide a reason for trains to move in both directions, they will.

Will12

With TTR being developed over at 3RR is there any news on the viaduct models for STR or any other things or is this on hold and are other aspects of the NAM being focused on like Project 0E? Tarkus also told me JD's been over here!

EDIT:
Read the post at simtropolis RHW support :)

Tarkus

This is what's actively in development right now:

-TTR (primarily just trackage only--not crosslinks with other NAM components)
-RHW 6.0/Project 0E
-Diagonal On-Slopes and L1 (7.5m-high) content for NAM Road/OWR/AVE Viaducts

This is what's sort of being worked on sporadically on the side.  These projects will periodically go silent off-and-on over the development cycle.

-NWM Wide-Radius Curves and Viaducts, plus intersections for ElRail-over-Road Dual Networking pieces.
-OWR Wide-Radius Curves
-The MHW revamp

Everything else is not currently a point of focus for development.  Viaducts-over-STR/TTR will probably happen toward farther along in RAM/TTR development.  There will also probably be a little bit more NWM and TuLEPs stuff before the release.  Tram stuff depends on Chrisim's level of activity.  I would not anticipate much happening with HSRP or CAN-AM going forward--they're inactive projects, and likely to stay that way. 

-Alex