• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Retaining walls for NAM

Started by Xyloxadoria, February 16, 2008, 12:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xyloxadoria

Old Post:
I am Xyloxadoria on Simtropolis, i was told to post here because this is where the NAM Team is more active. I need some help to make my model. ()what() I started making retaining walls for the raised road onramps, but after trying to fix my model for a while I still have some slight problems. I used a custom LOD and I think it is the LOD that may be the problem. And also I deleted the interior faces (the ones facing the ramp) so the shadow of the wall displays as a thin line (only the top and side edge faces cast a shadow.) Here is a picture, if anyone could help me; I would be able to know what to do to make walls for the other NAM puzzle pieces as well here is a picture:

EDIT: I have fixed the problems since posting this, scroll down to see development progress on this piece and other ones as well.

RebaLynnTS

Might help if you also post pics of your models and lods.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

jeronij

It may help making separate pieces for the inner and the outer walls.
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

Shadow Assassin

Also, make sure the retaining walls are only a maximum of 14.5m high. This may fix your problem, as the default highways [this includes the exits] are pathed and modeled .5m off the ground.

Ensure that the top of the retaining wall is .5m below the road bed, and you shouldn't have any issues.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

Tarkus

Actually, the issue here is a bit more complicated, from what I can see.  The models appear to be rendered through the standard BAT export process, which reduces the model to just a series of 2-dimensional isometric faces.  This works perfectly fine for standard building models and props--the game can assemble a composite of these isometric faces for that purpose and you'd never know the difference.

However, transit models (with the exception of bridges) are assembled and exported in an entirely different manner--they need to be fully 3-dimensional, and thus, you cannot export them like a standard BAT model.  If you do a standard export on them, it will end up like an M.C. Escher [link] drawing.  It will look correct from one angle, but you'll have things jutting out in weird locations in all other rotations, which seems to be the problem you are having.  (I've run into this problem before as well.  ;))

You will need to use a special BuildingMill.ms script before using the BAT Export in Gmax (which I've attached here).  The safest way to do this would be to temporarily replace the existing BuildingMill.ms in your gmax\gamepacks\BAT\scripts folder when exporting transit models.

One other thing I should note--because this special export process does not reduce the model to isometric faces, you have to be very careful with your polygon count.  redlotus, in his old Interchange Tutorial, noted that there is a limit (roughly 500-600 polys) where the game starts leaving out parts of the model, and I've even had situations where the game has outright crashed.  So keep a close eye on the poly count when you're making your models.  You only need to build the visible faces into the model in order for things to show up in all rotations, so I'd highly recommend using as many planes as possible.

Hope that helps!

-Alex (Tarkus)

PS--If you want to see redlotus' tutorial, it's hidden in an obscure corner of the Internet [link].  I will warn you it's very, very dense reading, and a lot of things have changed since it was written (October 2004).  But the information on model specifications, exporting concerns and the necessary IID schemes for puzzle pieces is still useful.

Xyloxadoria

I changed the model so that there are only planar faces, it looks fine from one side:

But the other side is very dark, and the model appears to float off the ground:

Here is the LOD i am using:

I rendered it normally, without the other building mill file. The model (excluding the LOD's) is 216 polys. When i rendered with the other building mill script, the model still looked the same. Right now it is just plopped form a tile away, and it overhangs onto the ramp.

Tarkus

If you're just doing an overhang lot piece, you should be fine with the normal BuildingMill script--in fact, I'd recommend it.  Switching to planes seems to have fixed a lot of the problems you had before.  The darkness is probably from shadow effects in game.  The slope may be what's causing the "floating" issue--you can adjust the slope conformity with the PIM when making a Desc file for the model, or in the Reader after the fact. 

And with the other BuildingMill script, you won't notice a difference in the Lot Editor, but you will if you look at it in the Reader and rotate the model, or if you made a puzzle piece out of the model.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Jonathan

I'm probably wrong as I know nothing about BATing but isnt the LOD meant to be the opposite of what you showed? So the gaps should be the model.

RebaLynnTS

Nope, The model is projected onto the outside of the LOD surfaces. I make most of my LODs slightly smaller than my model, if not exactly the same size.
Becca

Jonathan

So if I made a box 4x4x4 would the LOD be 4x4x4 or a big box box with hole in it 4x4x4?

Maybe these models could be included in the NAM models because they look more realistic (without the glitches) than the current ones to me, no offense to the person who made the current ones.

RebaLynnTS

Your LOD would be a box 4x4x4 with a picture of your model shown on the outsides. Think of it like a 6 sided projection screen, in the shape of a box, and a photo of each side of the model projected on each screen.
Becca

Xyloxadoria

I stated a thread at Simtropolis about these walls. Link I will post updates in this thread here and in that thread at ST.

If you have any requests or suggestions about textures, or pieces you want, then post them here or at the ST Thread.

Update
Here are my latest pieces. I have a start end piece and a Over blank terrain piece:

PM me or request in this thread if you want a wall for any certain NAM piece or if you have any suggestions or other requests

Starmanw402007

Welcome To Sim City 4 Dovation Xyloxadoria.

Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Pround To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)
Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

Xyloxadoria

New Update

I have changed the textures, and i made a piece for going over a diagonal road:

I also have began on the corner and straight "block' walls, it is not correct yet but here is my current progress:

mightygoose

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Haljackey

Wow, amazing work Xyloxadoria!  It is so much better than the ones we currently have in the NAM!
-The centre support in the RHW overpass is my favorite so far.  Keep it up!

Best,
-Haljackey

Tarkus

I have to say I really like what I'm seeing here. :thumbsup:  I really like the new textures you've used--they're quite commonplace on RL overpasses that I've seen (at least here in Oregon).  I'll second Hal here--keep it up!

-Alex (Tarkus)

RebaLynnTS

This will be a very nice addition to the game.
Becca

kassarc16

Awesome! I was hoping some other pieces would get an overhaul ala the raised rail. Great job!

CasperVg

I like them very much. A nice texture would be something more mossy, so it looks a bit more weathered, maybe even with some graffiti on them.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube