• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

City Sizes

Started by croxis, October 17, 2009, 04:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croxis

How does this sound to make the two comparable? Currently we agree to make a "tile" at 10m.  For loading sc4 regions the application will resize the heightmap internally.  This means the layout wont be 1:1 as CityMania cities will be a little larger than their SC4 equivalents.

SimCity 4
Tile = 16m (15.625)

size            dimension    length
small            64    1000 m
medium    128    2000 m
large            256    4000 m

CityMania
Tile = 10m
size            dimension    length
xsmall        64            640m
small            128    1280m
medium    256    2560m
large            512    5120m
xlarge        1024  10240m

townscape

Question: Will Buildings be locked to the grid or will it be optional?

funny how I link the banner to the only place I ever post :)
The Greatest place to get a game name

croxis

The grid is a more loose term. For the heightmap 1 pixel will become a 10mx10m polygon square on the terrain. A grid is also needed to process spatial data such as crime and pollution. Building construction will not be tied to a grid however.  Yet I, and others, found in the CitiesXL beta that the complete lack of grid did make construction more difficult.  Chances are the client will have a construction grid guide that the player can set to different angles.

MandelSoft

How about the sizes "Extra Small" (640m x 640m) and "Extra Large"(10,24km x 10,24km = Cities XL map)?
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

croxis

I don't see why not.

As soon as I can fix my gui code for the linux client (I hate programming gui.  more than i hate netcode!) I'll start working on the basic region level.

JoeST

surely the pixels should be terrain points rather than terrain squares...
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

croxis

dragonshardz

So city area would be as follows:

x-small: 0.4096 km2
small: 1.6384 km2
medium: 6.5536 km2
large: 26.2144 km2
x-large: 104.8576 km2

EDIT: Fixed decimal places.

croxis

Right, I was mostly looking at dimensions needed for the heightmaps :)

dragonshardz

Nique

Quote from: dragonshardz on October 23, 2009, 11:51:22 PM
So city area would be as follows:

x-small: 409.6 km2
small: 1638.4 km2
medium: 6553.6 km2
large: 26214.4 km2
x-large: 1048.576 km2

500x500km ? holy ... aren't these meters ?
Proudly developer of

townscape

No...try it on you calculator. The sizes are just right, though even smaller 10x10km(100square km) maps (a la CitiesXL) would go nicely too

funny how I link the banner to the only place I ever post :)
The Greatest place to get a game name

croxis

I think you might of gotten your units or decimal wrong actually:
xm: 0.4 km^2
sm: 1.6 km^2
me: 6.5 km^2
lg: 26.2 km^2
xl: 104 km^2

Extra large size is just a little bigger than CitiesXL

dragonshardz

You sure? If the x-small is 640m x 640m, then that's 409,600 meters2. The formula for calculating area is h*w=A. Convert that into kilometers, and you have 409.6 km2.

And so on up the list to x-large.

Oh, wait...I used the length converter, not the area converter. I have a program called convert.exe that is really handy for converting units, and I used the distance converter instead of the area converter.

I'll go back and fix it.

RippleJet

1 km²  =  1 km × 1 km  =  1,000 m × 1,000 m  =  1,000,000 m² ::)

Jonathan

Can the cities just not be really massive, like no limit.
You start off with a small city and then as you want to expand it just get a little bigger on one side and smaller(but it still keeps what is built there) on the other
Also will there be an option to "buy" more space, from like neighbouring cities (if CM will have nieghbours?)?

Jonathan

dragonshardz

Heh...Jonathan, check "Improving region play" later today, I am working on a post that would describe how that would work. I just need to finish up my diagrams.

Great minds really DO think alike.

croxis

It is possible, but there is a limiting factor in optimizing the game speed.  There is a programming trick called Quad Tree (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quad_tree). In order for this to work the map not only needs to be square, but 2^n in size.  This is why all the maps in all the games have been square and the size they are.  Yes, it is possible to do what is being asked, but we will lose an optimization tool in the process.

Earwhyckque

Hey! This is a nice project. Hopefully it will turn out to be as good as, let's say, OpenTTD :thumbsup:

I have one question: I see that you have chosen to choose different sized tiles (10 metre instead of 16 metre). Maybe you've already thought of this, but just keep in mind that you may need a minimal size for a street with side paths, or a double railway. For instance, a motorway could use approximately 30 metres (according to Neufert ;)), which should fit in two 16m tiles...

So, maybe this is irrelevant, but it could be something to think about. Besides, 1000 m by 64 tiles doesn't sound too bad to me...

Good luck with this project!

croxis

Construction is not tile based, but freeform :) The tile grid is for the terrain and some simulation