• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

RHW (RealHighway) - Development and Support

Started by Tarkus, April 13, 2007, 09:10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kings_niners

will the newly expanded rhw be able to go underneath the maxis highways without having to convert to an avenue or one way road?

darraghf

um i think you already can with the current rhw
Darraghf on SC4D, Rainyday on ST, Darraghflah on Simpeg

b22rian

thanks for trying to help guys..
Thats what ive always loved about devotion , so many people are willing to help someone !

Quote from: darraghf on November 25, 2008, 08:38:10 AM
i believe that they were pathed wrongly. So put plop them th opposite way e.g. put the hard shoulder close to the central median

This was an interesting try .. although if the rhw-2 is doing a similar thing, i dont think there is anyway to put the
puzzle pieces in backwards with that.. :-\

Just the same.. i did try to place them in backwards with the rhw-4.. it seemed to take a little longer when I ran the test but eventually the rail line emptied out of any rail traffic..

Quote from: Olasz on November 25, 2008, 09:49:11 AM
In this case that path is correct for the particular piece. check the path with the drawpath cheat on the entire track and try dragging the track through the stations.
you don't use the park'n'ride traffic simulator without plopping parking places, do you?

Olasz

Actually i tried it with both sim B (hard difficulty) and sim Z ...
But unfortunately with the same results.. You have to run these tests for a little while by the way to be sure
so i run mine over 2 years minimum..to get confirmation on some results from them..

But I will tell you what I did with these last tests because i felt this was a good way to do this.. In my
largest city i had a rail bridge crossing a maxis highway and it was one which was heavily used. Before the
change i had about 10 K passenger usage.. So it was quite easy really to remove this rail bridge set up
and try out the rhw-4 set up.. by simply converting that stretch of maxis highway to the rhw-4.. I really
didnt change anything else in the game.. just essentially swapped rail bridges.. So im quite sure the lines and
rail stations were fine..because i really didnt change the set up with those, see...
And than I think you know the story from there.. it took a bit of time .. yes.. but eventually all rail traffic
dissappeared from that rail line.. The same line that formerly had over 10 K passenger usage....

And yes im as baffled as you are when i run the drawing path cheat program and i still see that everything looks
pathed correctly !.. Maybe we put to much faith in the drawing path cheats, and its a bit more complex than that.. Anyways we may have to wait to see what Alex says about all this ..
If the poor man has time to even look at this !

also, to be honest since soon the rhw 3 is going to be released .. its not exactly a high priority right now,
to be sure.. I was just curious if anyone else has functional rail lines where these rhw bridges are being used..?
At first you want to assume, surely someone else has noticed this all this time ?.. Don't assume !.. :P

Thanks Again, Brian

Olasz

Brian, can you describe your issue in the Nam Place/Issues Thread with some screenshot (drawpaths on) included?

Olasz

b22rian

yup. No problem..
Ill see if i can get some screens together , and we can have fun
over there trying to get to the bottom of this interesting issue.. :D,

Thanks, brian

Patricius Maximus

el_cozu, I think I know what you mean by "losing faith".

Release times between RHW versions to date have been long, and the anticipation can drain a person. Furthurmore, you may think all the possibilities for v2.0 have been run out. I assure you they have not.

If you get a feeling of... faithlessness, just look at all the interchanges people have built, then look at your own cities, and apply those ideas to them. When you start a new one, experiment! Do something you've never done before in the hope that perhaps this will be the best transit network ever.

I am doing this, and it is holding me over to date until the release of 3.0. So, apply those tips I've given you, and know that a feeling of losing faith will probably never happen again, as Tarkus has said that the RHW "3 series" releases will be smaller and more frequent than previously.

Tarkus

b22rian, I think I have a solution for you . . . I released a Pathing Fix for the Rail-over-RHW-4 piece and a few MIS intersections back in August . . . it was attached to a post way back.  Here's a direct link.  It's linked up in the FAQ for posterity as well . . . though it will hopefully be obsolete soon with the 3.0 release. ;)  Let me know if it solves the issue for you, and if not, we'll get something figured out.

kings_niners, there aren't any plans to have Maxis Highway-over-RHW-4+ overpass functionality in Version 3.0.

el_cozu, I know what you're probably going through.  Honestly, I feel bad it's taken so long . . . there's been a number of setbacks between 2.0 and now, which were out of my control, which severely hampered development.  This is not the place for me to go into details.  But rest assured, though, it's still coming, and I made a good deal of progress over the weekend.  The Associates got a new Alpha Build to play with. ;)

I do think the end result will be worth it, though.  At least I hope so. :D

-Alex (Tarkus)

b22rian

Alex,

Thanks for your attention in this matter , especially considering the time I know you are putting into the
final preps for RHW 3.0..

Quote from: Tarkus on November 25, 2008, 08:17:47 PM
b22rian, I think I have a solution for you . . . I released a Pathing Fix for the Rail-over-RHW-4 piece and a few MIS intersections back in August . . . it was attached to a post way back.  Here's a direct link.  It's linked up in the FAQ for posterity as well . . . though it will hopefully be obsolete soon with the 3.0 release. ;)  Let me know if it solves the issue for you, and if not, we'll get something figured out.

yup thanks,  I have that pathing fix and also another you had released i think back in May for the rail over
rhw-4.. both in my rhw folder.. Really my only concern with this is just to alert you, that we may possibly
still have an issue here with the rail bridges if some of the same coding for this is passed along to rhw 3.0
from 2.0.. Im planning on posting some pics from a test I ran today in the nam issues threads, if your curious
what is going on here.... Its getting to be a bit past my bedtime  %wrd
So, hopefully I will have time to do this tomorrow..

el_cozu, I know what you're probably going through.  Honestly, I feel bad it's taken so long . . . there's been a number of setbacks between 2.0 and now, which were out of my control, which severely hampered development.  This is not the place for me to go into details.  But rest assured, though, it's still coming, and I made a good deal of progress over the weekend.  The Associates got a new Alpha Build to play with. ;)

I do think the end result will be worth it, though.  At least I hope so. :D

-Alex (Tarkus)

The release of the rhw 3.0 will be the single most important content release since the game itself came out
5 years ago.. &apls

Brian

pagenotfound

Im back baby! Everybody do the Bendah!

Nexis4Jersey

Alex :> Are RHW-2 Intersections going to have Traffic Lights?

Swamper77

The stop light props can be placed on them, but they will not be functional. Due to the fact the Dirt Road/RHW network is coded as a highway from the EXE's point of view, the stop points in the path files do not work. Since the stop lights are tied into the stop point code, they won't work on the RHW either. They will just be eye-candy.

-Swamper
You can call me Jan, if you want to.
Pagan and Proud!

deathtopumpkins

Couldn't they just be made as timed props that change periodically?
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

metarvo

Oh, well. :(  That's alright.  If I have to have a stop light, I will just convert two intersecting RHW-2s to roads to get a signalized intersection.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

nerdly_dood

My suggestion for realistic signage that takes into account the fact that stop points on paths don't work for RHW: Use yield signs. (or give-way signs or whatever you call them) Drivers aren't required to stop for a yield sign, and they DON'T stop at all on RHWs, and like Metarvo said, if you REALLY NEED a traffic light, just use a road. But props will probably be added later on...
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

Thomas Diamond

Quote from: metarvo on November 26, 2008, 11:11:21 AM
Oh, well. :(  That's alright.  If I have to have a stop light, I will just convert two intersecting RHW-2s to roads to get a signalized intersection.

Earlier there was talk about angled ramps.
Is it possible to build a Diagonal version of an interchange similar to the interchange on page 166 ,where both the avenue and the RHW are traveling at an angle but are  perpendicular

j-dub

Please ignore the diagonal pole placement.

Just Never got the hang of these MAXIS signals.

QuoteThe stop light props can be placed on them, but they will not be functional. Due to the fact the Dirt Road/RHW network is coded as a highway from the EXE's point of view, the stop points in the path files do not work. Since the stop lights are tied into the stop point code, they won't work on the RHW either. They will just be eye-candy.

-Swamper

I would hate to see the MAXIS lights T21ed to the RHW. After I was on a real RHW the other day, you have to make do crossing the RHW intersection with stop and yield, despite the rapid 55mph crossing traffic. The other thing is with the 4 lane/2 lane thing, an avenueXroad intersection (the one with the signals) can be split and used between the RHW, as you can convert to roads in between the RHW, with that, I don't see the need for exemplars defaulted on to the RHW.

Quote from: deathtopumpkins
Couldn't they just be made as timed props that change periodically?

Animation by Ehbk2006

Good question. I think its a good idea, there already exists signals like those on this site. I have these timed prop traffic signals that change red and green and they are awesome because they work after 2 two tiles, sometimes sync with the MAXIS traffic, and you can put them anywhere, even without a stop point. In fact the ones picture earlier are timed props.

spinmaster

Quote from: metarvo on November 26, 2008, 11:11:21 AM

Bingo. My 2 cents: I don't want traffic lights on RHW at all, just doesn't feel realistic at all to me. RHW fills two gaps for me:

1) a true "rural" highway ... which is essentially a surface street with highway speeds, very few intersections, what little access on/off there is, it's direct connection where the side street has a stop sign and the "highway" has ... nothing (which RHW allows, unlike the Maxis highways), not even a "reduced speed." There might be ramps, but few and far between. Where the rural highway does happen to pass through a populated area - and makes level intersections with large or busy-enough other roads to warrant a traffic light - it usually does slow down quite a bit. So having to convert RHW to one-ways or avenues (and maybe even leverage the NWM when that comes out) is perfect. It's also worth pointing out that often when a "rural highway" does have to slow down around these light-controlled intersections, there's often some development with direct frontage on that "highway" as well. And especially if it's two "rural highways" intersecting, they'll usually both slow down... and there'll often be lots of commercial stuff there, from gas stations to shopping plazas to movie theaters and tourist traps. So again, converting to a true surface road to make lighted intersections is exactly how it should be, I think.

2) a replacement for highways... rural or otherwise. No traffic lights needed here, either.

Maybe someone can find a 70-mph vs. 70-mph intersection of highways with a traffic light, but I haven't seen 'em, and quite frankly I don't want to.

j-dub

No! A Mercedes can stop on a dime at 80mph, but a freight truck certainly cant't going 70mph, 300ft before the intersection. So I hope there ain't 70mph highways with signals. Frankly, I don't want to either. As for the NWM, there are some texture similairities that really fit better with the new RHW, but there are not much traffic lights on that, yet, except for the TLA-3. It will be a long, long, long while.

bob56

You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

BigSlark

We have 65 mile per hour highways with traffic lights here in Mississippi and Alabama, they still make me wonder...  &sly

I've got some great photos I took of a RHW-4 with at-grade intersections while traveling yesterday, I'll share them when I get home on Sunday.

Cheers,
Kevin