• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Thames District: I'm on holiday.

Started by joelyboy911, August 21, 2009, 04:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dreamcat

Beautiful work!!!  I am really digging that coastal road you have right there!  Very nice!

Oh, and...

100 comments...!

metarvo

I really like the rocky beach you have there, Joel.  I also like the use of the asphalt streets for that neighborhood.  Good work!

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

joelyboy911

Replies

BarbarossaS
Thanks. Actually those are the outermost suburban areas of Thames City, for which the population is now 680,000.

Tomas Neto
Thanks Tomas. I'm glad you liked it.

Xander (WC_EEND)
Thanks, ah yes, I do rememer downloading that mod. Its really good, actually. Every piece has catenaries in exactly the right places.

DreamCat
Thanks, I'm really glad you liked the Coast Road. I was hoping I didn't lose the readers' enthusiasm by dragging it out over three updates. Thanks for making the 100th post!

Metarvo
Thanks. Yes, I use asphalt almost exclusively. I am thinking of developing a mod, to change the default streets to the asphalt set. This was also discussed in 3RR as a way to free up a slot on SAM, as a large portion of people don't think concrete streets are very realistic. Thanks for coming!

The Update

So, I'm a best seller now, eh?

Many thanks to all the readers who have posted, and made this MD a success so quickly. Special thanks to those who have made this MD one of their regular reads, your posts have meant a lot to me, as the author.

So thanks for 100 comments, and here's to the next 100.  ;)

OK, so this is the tile I hinted at with the autumn shot, and the stream. I've been perfecting my PW techniques, (I think) and building up suburbs with excellent BATs, many of which were created by Mattb325 - I like his Cottages Ornee a lot. I think this is my biggest mosaic ever, so enjoy it.  :)

Oh yeah, don't miss the animation.  :  ()stsfd()

OK. This is the animation. It was too big to upload to Casimages, and I got a bit lost trying to convert it to a format uploadable to YouTube. So, I scaled it down a bit (size wise).

Click Here For the Animation

Anyway, I've been doing some work in lot editor, trying to make my farms work properly, as well as building myself a custom set of walls (Mas71 style) among other things. I plan on another update in the weekend at some point. I have some more coastal areas - In fact I've redeveloped the very first tile I showed here.  So, a new beachfront suburb tomorrow or Sunday.

Thanks again for reading, and for carrying Thames into Best Sellers.

Remember to comment!  :P
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

BarbarossaS

Ow, so much for a little town  :P
Nice residential areas in this update! And once again, you do know how to make a rivershore!  &apls

-Stijn-

jimbo_jj

Those are some nice looking suburbs. Mattb325's house continue to impress me. I really like the changing fall colors in the animation, too. Excellent job! :thumbsup:

-James
Coming Soon to SimCity 4 Devotion: Alterren: The New World City
An MD by Jimbo_JJ

sumwonyuno

Congratulations!  You've beat me to Best Sellers as well.  I like that long mosaic and that animation's pretty nice as well.  :thumbsup:

The City & County of Honolulu, a Mayor Diary based on Honolulu, Hawai'i.

mark's memory address - I've created a blog!

Dreamcat

Very nice work as usual!  Also, a very nice mosaic.  Matt's houses are really looking good.  You really are a master with windy roads.  In my opinion they look amazing.  The ploppable water is also quite good...I think my only gripe with this update would be the lack of trees and flora next to the stream.  There's too many rocks and not enough shrubbery.  But enough with my bellyaching.  Good update overall.

And yeah...awesome animation!  lol.

djvandrake

Wonderful mosaic and a great animation.  Full of life and activity.  &apls

Earth quake

KoV Liberty

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

adroman

Very nice Joel!

I like the little pocket of Commercial in the corner there, it looks super...  :thumbsup:

Havva a good one,
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

joelyboy911

Replies

Stijn (BarbarossaS)
Yeah, not so little I guess. Thanks for the compliments.

jimbo_jj
Thanks, yes he's the king of suburban BATs. Those autumn colours were precisely what inspired me to put that animation together.

Sumwonyuno
Thanks, you'll be in Best Sellers soon too, I think.

Dreamcat
Thanks. I wouldn't say I was a master with them...  ::)
Fair call, about the plants vs. the rocks. I had wondered if I had overdone the rockiness - I might tone it down a little for the next time I make a river. I am thinking of putting in a lot of PW streams and rivers, as they exist in RL. I'll probably be adding in the river thats missing from my region - all or mostly in PW, which should make for an interesting update somewhere down the line.

Djvandrake
Thanks man. I'm glad you liked the animation - more work went into it than is obvious just from looking at it.

Earth Quake
Merci!

Alex (Driftmaster07)
Thank you!

Adrian (adroman)
Thanks, Speaking of super... I just realised my region is totally devoid of Supermarkets.

The Update

Here is the railway terminus at Kitt's Avenue (see the railway map). Also showing of course the beachfront of the northern commercial area of the same name. This is one of the most upmarket shopping areas in Thames City, and the apartments above them are some of the most expensive.

And here is a mosaic to show a large stretch of the beach along the same area, as well as some of the houses and commerce zones.

And this is one of the things I spent a bit of time on this week - the Boat Ramp.
Also, I've discovered that theres a little bit of a magical effect if you put pictures in mirror image - have a look.

And lastly, the picture I entered in the competition.

Thanks for viewing,

and, don't forget to comment.
SimCity Aviation Group
I miss you, Adrian

KoV Liberty

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

adroman

Awesome,

I was thinking about Supermarkets in SC4 when i was in one yesterday, I was thinking of BATing some if School ever gives me some free time!

Lovely work,
Did you make that Boat Ramp? Or did you get it from somewhere?

EDIT: Good luck at school tomorrow  :D
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

Earth quake

Superb Update.
Your seaside city is really realistic and successful.
It gives desire to live there.

The only comment that I could make would be on the beach, which is really empty (but seen that we are in autumn, It's normale when there are not people)

Dreamcat

No offense man but you update way too fast.

I mean, I just posted a comment here.  ;)

You know...you're darn right.  It doesn't make a lot of sense, but mirroring the image does provide a good effect.  The boat ramp and the beach indeed look very nice.  The choice of buildings is also very nice - do you use NoMaxis?  Because I don't see any Maxis buildings there...

The train is looking good, but the space next to the tracks is kind of empty.  I'd put some trees along it.  It would look much nicer~

A thumbs-up worthy update there --->  :thumbsup:

jimbo_jj

Those boat ramp pics caught my attention. Great idea! Very creative. I like those walls you used around the beaches, too. Great job! :thumbsup:

-James
Coming Soon to SimCity 4 Devotion: Alterren: The New World City
An MD by Jimbo_JJ

Glowbal

WC_EEND

Nice update, I like the walls with stairs just before the beach itself, it reminds me of the Belgian beaches
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

djvandrake

That boat ramp is fantastic!  &apls  It shows that you put some time into it.  Very nicely done.  :thumbsup: