• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Windows 7

Started by frdrcklim, January 18, 2009, 01:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

simmaster07

Also, those TechNet Plus benefits sound great. I wish I could become a TechNet Plus subscriber, but as a minor, that won't be happening any time soon.  $%Grinno$%

Jonathan

any major differences between the RTM and RC?

Ultimate and Pro versions have Xp mode
Technet plus looks great, is there any catch? I'm relying on Office 2010 Technical preview for my office at the moment, it's be nice to be able to get a proper office suite without paying over the odds.

Jonathan

Jack JumperSH

Quote from: Jonathan on August 20, 2009, 12:27:36 PM
any major differences between the RTM and RC?

Ultimate and Pro versions have Xp mode

Jonathan

The RTM is the Full version and is what goes into the stores but atm they are fixing a bug that is BSODing everyones comps when they defrag

Quote from: simmaster07 on August 20, 2009, 12:25:31 PM
Also, those TechNet Plus benefits sound great. I wish I could become a TechNet Plus subscriber, but as a minor, that won't be happening any time soon.  $%Grinno$%

its £234 and if u get offers u can get up to 175 pounds off

simmaster07

Well, as an American, it's time to whip out the almighty currency converter. :P Also, I do hope that showstopper is fixed before retail availability. ;D

Jack JumperSH

no need its 349 dollars

simmaster07

Feh. I could only dream of having $349. :-[

Jack JumperSH

lol im a minor and i have a LOT OF Cash in the pocket because i work in a local store

simmaster07

No, when I say I'm a minor, I mean I'm 12. ()stsfd()

Anyways, back to Windows 7. There's one thing I've been interested in since I found out about Windows 7 and that is the improved MinWin kernel. Compared to Vista's MinWin kernel, it seems that Windows 7 still seems to use a dramatically smaller portion of available system resources. I wonder why...  &hlp

Jack JumperSH

Quote from: simmaster07 on August 20, 2009, 12:42:01 PM
No, when I say I'm a minor, I mean I'm 12. ()stsfd()

Anyways, back to Windows 7. There's one thing I've been interested in since I found out about Windows 7 and that is the improved MinWin kernel. Compared to Vista's MinWin kernel, it seems that Windows 7 still seems to use a dramatically smaller portion of available system resources. I wonder why...  &hlp
I'm just gone 13 2 days ago and the reason it uses less is because it was recoded with some different format what sort of compacts it

simmaster07

I don't see how a different format can help that much, but okay. ::)

Jack JumperSH

i don't myself but microsoft decided to do it

BarbyW

Does anyone else here use Start Up Manager? I have noticed that under Win7 SUM doesn't move the ProgramFiles\Maxis\Simcity 4\Plugins subfolders to Plugins Disabled. I have had to move them manually which is a bit of a pain. I changed the access settings to allow changes for all users but SUM is still not moving the folders.
I am also having a similar problem with SC4Tool as it is not making the Readmes correctly. It is missing out the custom headers and footers so I have to copy them each time. Again another slight frustration as it takes longer to do everything. I am almost at the stage of duplicating my set up to my husband's machine which has XP so that I can make the Readmes etc easily again.

Anyone any bright ideas as to solutions?

Problem with SUM solved by turning off UAC completely ::)
Inside every old person is a young person wondering what happened. TP

Barbypedia: More alive than the original

Andreas

Well, if all compatibility modes and stuff are failing, you could install a virtual machine and run WinXP inside it. Sun Virtual Box is freeware and pretty easy to use - you just select which system you want to run inside your virtual box, make a container file that serves as a virtual HD, and install WinXP inside the virtual box. At the moment, I did the very same the other way round (Win7 in a virtual box on my WinXP system). It works pretty well, actually, and I can even access my WinXP system from inside the virtual box via a virtual network card.
Andreas

Jonathan

Or you can use the XP Virtual PC from MS, this will let you run programs in XP on the win7 desktop.
link to picture that exaplins it better

Jonathan

frdrcklim

One week left ;D! One week left and 7 will be on the shelves. Well not exactly one week for me here since it takes weeks for something to be shipped here.

By the way, I've been meaning to ask this for quite some time now, but does SC4 Mapper work on 7? Somehow, I click on it, the program is running, but it doesn't load at least for me &mmm.
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

dragonshardz

It probably will run, but I'd recommend running it inside a virtual XP machine. It doesn't like Vista and generally if it don't work in Vista, it won't work in 7. Just make sure you have all the .DLLs and that sort of thing.

dragonshardz

Jonathan, I think you're thinking of SC4Tool. As far as I know, SC4Mapper doesn't work in Vista and there has been no patch to make it work. Not that I'm really complaining, I see no reason to have SC4M installed when I already have SC4TF installed.

Jonathan

Sc4Tool works pratically straight away, but for SC4M you have to move your Documents  folder to some which doesn't have a \U in it, because in Vista the path is C:\Users\Documents.

Jonathan

frdrcklim

Quote from: Jonathan on October 19, 2009, 11:54:22 PM
Sc4Tool works pratically straight away, but for SC4M you have to move your Documents  folder to some which doesn't have a \U in it, because in Vista the path is C:\Users\Documents.

Jonathan

Thanks for the tip.

So... I think Windows 7 is released now. Though there isn't a reason to hurry, has anyone bought it yet?
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.