• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Welcome to Elizabeth County

Started by projectadam, November 11, 2008, 12:15:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

metarvo

Braska still looks good.  The dirt roads really do add a lot of detail to the Washington pictures.  After reading this update, I'm guessing that Washington is still in its early stages of development.  If so, will we see the town as it grows and becomes more modern?  It will be interesting to see where the paved roads will be inserted, if they are.
Keep up the good work, projectadam.

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

projectadam

Replies, Tutorial and Asking for Help

For the middle of the week update (from now on it will be the 1/2 update teaser and replies) we will examine a little tutorial on streams. Why would I be doing a tutorial on streams? Well, for the first reason one of the new settlements will have many streams involved with it and the second reason is maybe someone knows how to make them easier than me and can offer their suggestions.

For starters, we have our little piece of land that we want a stream to run along the road.

Now if we would just plop the steam pieces on the uneven terrain we would have weird effects with the grass showing through and walls on the sides of the pieces. So we need to smooth the area out with either the avenue or road tool (I have used the road tool in the past but someone recommended me trying the avenue tool to see how it works.)

Hooray, now all we have to do is add the pieces and we are done right?

Picture Rotated To Show Problem

WRONG!!! We have the walls and grass textures sticking through because we are on a slope next to the road. Since we want the elevation to stay the same on the other side of the road, so we do not have the stream just cutting through our region, what could we do. Well, the way I went about fixing the problem is ending the stream one square away from the road. This way the elevation can be changed on the road and the stream on the other side can be smoothed and will not have such a drastic look on the other side of the region. I add a wall on the road and it looks like a great stream if I do say so myself.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please share them. I do not think this is the end all answer and I am guessing the streams or canals could be made a lot easier but I could not think of anything at the time. Now, time for some

Replies:

blade2k5: Thanks again for stopping by, I hope the visit was worth the time away from the region making ;)

Lilojame: If you find a way to remove the sidewalks let me know, I would be eager to find out. Snow is definitely missing from that last picture and it would make for a better winter scene. I guess it was a really, really dry and warm winter :D This MD will hopefully be the essence of a quiet and peaceful place to live, work and play... Until we get further along in the future and start to see major growth.

Simpson: Thanks for stopping by, the Region of Braska appreciates your visit.

metarvo: Always great to see one of the originals that have replied since the first update, welcome back. Washington along with every city is in its early developments; unfortunately for Washington this will be about as good as life gets. Paved roads are around the corner (if the corner was 100 years :thumbsup:)

The Constitutional Monarchy of Ichigamin

Terraforming Update (8/25/09)

homefryes

Very nice work, projectadam! I'm very impressed with your work and attention to detail.

— Don
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

metarvo

You've put together a very helpful tutorial, projectadam. :thumbsup:  I know that I have learned something here.  There's one thing that bothers me a little, though.  Dirt roads that I have seen IRL become paved temporarily before crossing a body of water.  It looks as though the dirt road forms a bridge over the canal.  There would almost have to be a supporting bridge structure under the dirt road for this to be possible.  I'm not saying that this is a bad thing.  It's just something that I have never seen before.  I don't mean to bring up this "paved roads" thing again, though.  This is a wonderful MD, projectadam, and I look forward to the next update.

&apls
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.

projectadam

Quote from: metarvo on November 26, 2008, 05:27:25 PM
You've put together a very helpful tutorial, projectadam. :thumbsup:  I know that I have learned something here.  There's one thing that bothers me a little, though.  Dirt roads that I have seen IRL become paved temporarily before crossing a body of water.  It looks as though the dirt road forms a bridge over the canal.  There would almost have to be a supporting bridge structure under the dirt road for this to be possible.  I'm not saying that this is a bad thing.  It's just something that I have never seen before.  I don't mean to bring up this "paved roads" thing again, though.  This is a wonderful MD, projectadam, and I look forward to the next update.

&apls

metarvo,

This is I think the greatest thing about making a MD. Sometimes you are so caught up making sure that this is right or this is right that you completely overlook something. I believe that I overlooked a major thing :-[ I am so caught up with making the dirt roads because that is my one major thing that keeps this correct to the period that I did not even think about what it would be like with bridges. That would be some road if it did not need any kind of support to span over a stream :D Thanks for pointing this out and I can guarantee the issue will be addressed before the update this weekend with replies to all. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone, I think that we all have a lot to be thankful for  :thumbsup:

Lilojame

Haha, what would I give for a warm winter... but yes, it could be taken as such. ;) Hm, I guess there is no option but if somebody would take the time to mod sidewalks so that they would be made entirely from grass or dirt... maybe. ()what() I dont know much about moding, so I wouldnt know.

And I have to say, that you have a nice tutorial there. I usualy just flaten the ground for the plopable lakes and rise the are for road a tile away from that but it is interesting to see how you aproached the problem.

Have fun,
Karin

EDIT: I dont know how and if it works since I didnt tryed it but check this.

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

projectadam

25 - 30 Years: A Summer Drive near Henery

25 - 30 (Year Founded in Parentheses)
Henery (Year 29)
Suh (Year 30)

I hope that this holiday weekend finds all of you doing very well and thanks for coming back to Braska. We have had little development in the area with Washington's farm ground growing and two new settlements. A lumberyard was built in the south to meet the need for building materials and the town of Suh was settled around the new business. Henery was built to the east in the hills and the layout is much different from the rest of the development so far with smaller farms to fill the flatlands between hills. Main Street is located just north of Stinkin Water Creek and the edge of downtown is pictured below.

Mosaics are always a fun way to see a town and I was feeling very inspired by JBSimio's MD and decided to highlight the countryside of Henery.

As always, thanks for stopping by and have yourself a great remainder of the weekend.

Replies:

homefryes: Hey Hey Hey, thanks for stopping by homefryes and I am trying to get the region up to speed to display your power poles in my rural areas ;)

metarvo: Thanks for pointing out the bridges over the streams. I have addressed the issue and am curious to see what you think of them now? The same thing that goes for homefryes goes to you metarvo, trying to get everything up-to-date to use your power lines in the cities :thumbsup:

Lilojame: Always such pleasures to have you visit the MD. Thanks for digging up the mod for me. I am a little hesitant to try something that the last comment for was over two years ago though $%Grinno$% Who knows, I might get daring one of these days and try it out.

flyinbird93: Welcome to Braska! Hope to see you around in the future and hopefully you will see something useful to include in your MD.

metarvo

To be honest, it took a lot to pull me away from gazing in awe at this MD so I could post this. :thumbsup:  I feel that you have done a fine job of addressing the bridge issue.  They look much better now.  As for the power lines, I am in the process of completing my current set.  Keep up the great work here, projectadam.

paroch

Hi Projectadam,

It's my first visit to your MD here in Braska.  I have to say that I am very impressed with what you've done here.  My favourites so far are the town of Washington (I love a great suburb!) and the mosaic from the last update is really something special.  You mentioned tht it was JBSimio's Covington that insipred your mosaic, and I can see that in your mosaic (that is a compliment!!).

One thing that is a little odd to me is the very square, grid like nature of the farms in the region views.  But I guess that in parts of the US farms are that big and square (I recall seeing something similar when flying into Calgary airport in Canada).  Here in England the farms tend to be a bit more "random" shaped!

Good luck with the next step of development here and I'll make sure I come by again.

Paul

Pat

Hey Projectadam looking good here in River Region of Braska and you gotten my attention for sure and I will be back in for more!!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

kbieniu7

Nice region shot. ;)
In closer view - path looks like stairs, so it looks strange :D And the forest on the top of mosaic - it looks like trees standing unnatural in rows
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

sithlrd98

Hello Projectadam , just now discovering your MD..looking good so far!

Jayson

CabraBuitre

Nice job thus far... I'm looking forward to seeing this river set be showcased... I don't think it has gotten its just usage by the community yet!

Before my hard drive crash, I was thinking of incorporating it into my (now defunct) MD water system.  Can't wait for more!

Check out Abelfarei!

Lilojame

Hey hey! Yea, I know, I usually try to avoid such content but sometimes, just sometimes it all turns out good. If you try it out, please be extra careful since I would hate if something bad would happened to your work!

As for the update, it looks great. The things are "rolling" in here.  :thumbsup: Love the picture with the bridge.  &apls

Yours Truly,
Karin ()borg()

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

projectadam

Update 12/1/08: A Couple of Teasers and Replies

Wow, what an overwhelming amount of replies. I originally thought about only doing one group of replies throughout the week and my major updates over the weekend. As Braska is picking up steam, I might have to do two sets of replies throughout the week.

The first thing I would like to acknowledge is a scene, which was captured from Henery. It was entered into the SC4D Picture Competition and was inducted into the Hall of Fame. For all those that voted both for and against me, thanks for taking the time to check out the pictures. I would also like to thank marcszar's Domino Sugars, which drew me to taking the picture in the first place. Marcszar has several unbelievable lots that he has designed that I would highly recommend checking out on the LEX.

Inducted 11/30/2008

I also am busy working on the next five years of Braska. It is a busy time with six new settlements in that period. I am hoping that the entire region will be up-to-date by the end of the week but we will see how much I get completed. I can offer you a teaser of one of the six cities.

Sunrise over Kent

Hope you enjoyed the two pictures and now time for...

Replies:

metarvo: Thanks as always for stopping by. I agree that the bridges look much better and want to thank you for pointing those out. I will keep up the good work here and you keep up the good work with the power :thumbsup:

paroch: Welcome and thanks for taking the time to stop by and reply &bis& Washington does have a nice feel to it, a unique small town located right on the river. In the flatlands, the bulky grid pattern will hold up but as development starts to get into the hills, I think you will see farms set up more to what you are used to. Thanks again for stopping by and hope to see you again.

Pat: Thanks for stopping by and I believe this might be your first time posting here. Thanks for taking the time to look and hope to see you back again. I also want to thank you for the nice award you presented me in your MD Waterfalls

Although I think that this might come in handier with the New Year right around the corner :D

Community Chest: GET OUT OF JAIL, FREE
This card may be kept until needed or sold

kbieniu7: Thanks for checking out Braska. Those roads do look very stair steppish, darn this grid system. I think I will revisit certain areas and maybe extend the roads and make the 45 degree angled roads that I think will clean it up a little bit. I also think that the forest will be replanted &idea

sithlrd98: Thanks for stopping by and I hope you will find time to revisit again ;)

CabraBuitre: The river has taken a lot of time to get to work but the time invested truly is paying off because I think it looks great too. Sorry to hear about the hard drive crash :angrymore: those always take awhile to get over but I hope you get back into MDing.

Lilojame: Always a pleasure to have you stop by and thanks for the support ;) The bridges did turn out great and I am very thankful that metarvo pointed them out to me.

Lilojame

Hey there!  ;)
The first picture looks very nice BUT I prefer the second one! That one is a total candy.  &apls

Consider me teased.  :D

Looking forward to see more!

Karin ()borg()

kbieniu7

This factory doesn' fit to nice green area :P
Thank you for visiting Kolbrów, and for being for last ten years!

blade2k5

QuoteThanks again for stopping by, I hope the visit was worth the time away from the region making Wink

It was well worth the time :thumbsup:  I don't always have my nose in a map, though it may seem like it.

Seems I've missed a couple of updates.  The tutorial was quite informative as I'm now in the beginnings of testing the waters, no pun intended $%Grinno$% and attempting to make my own plop rivers/streams and ponds. 

I'm quite impressed with your rural farming communities, reminds me a lot of what I see around my neck of the woods and the mosiac perfectly showcased that.  Stinking Water Creek eh? :D   What causes the stink I hazard to ask? ::) 

A sugar factory....mmmmmmmm.....sounds like Kent is a sweet place to live, pardon the pun :D  I like the Sunrise over Kent pic, very nice.  Wonderful updates, look forward to more soon :thumbsup:

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio
dedgren ♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ nichter85 ♦ papab2000 ♦
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Old fisherman never die, they just smell that way.