• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Greater Terran Region

Started by Haljackey, December 28, 2007, 01:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bat

Great new video there! Your city looks nice! Also nice railway! :thumbsup:

Haljackey

Replies:

deathtopumpkins:  Nice to see you back!  Glad you enjoyed the video!  Yes I don't show rail that often, that's a first in video format too!

j-dub:  Hehe, it actually took a lot of work to make SC4 stable with all the stuff I use, especially since its on Vista!  Actually I'm looking for another water mod to replace the old realistic water mod I use that was made back in 2004.  If you think this "Ocean River Water Mod" is good, link me!   :D

mrtnrln:  Oh yeah, you'll see a lot more of the signs in new updates!  I'm currently in the process of making a standardized, uniform highway system for the GTR.  Several countries use this as well, such as the Interstate system in the USA, but Canada has no such system in place.  Thanks for the comments!
-I downloaded an application for Windows Movie Maker that allows me to speed up or slow down a video at various settings.  This video used "speed up: 50%", but you can speed up and even slow down much more than that!

metarvo:  Thanks!  Indeed they aren't.  Glad you enjoyed the video!

bat:  Hey, thanks a lot!  I'm happy to hear you enjoyed yet another video!

Update time!

This will be the third and final installment of my bullet train updates.  After this its off to new content.

Pictures
Click the images for full resolution! (1920x1200.)

Let's begin with this line in Crossings.  As you can see it was constructed over the water due to the lack of land.
-Many Bullet Train lines in Japan are also constructed in a similar fashion.  The same thing goes with the motorway network, especially in the Tokyo area.

Looking further down the same line, we see a pretty significant junction in this space-constrained part of town.
-You can tell this is an old area of the GTR because of the at-grade rail crossings and the original RHW textures.

Here's the one of the first dual bullet train lines to be constructed in the GTR.  A dual line setup enables local connections to be made easily while the main line is free of stations.  It also doubles the capacity of the network, but consumes twice the amount of land.

Here's a pic of a bullet train leaving Downtown in one of the protected corridors.

One of the older, and most major junctions for the GTR's bullet train lines south of the main financial area.

This bullet train line whizzes past a CBD to the west.

West-side exchange.

Here's a rare shot of the GTR's waterfront where a bullet train line enters the median of the basinside artery.

An old, outdated junction that causes the bullet trains to travel at a slow speed to make a turn without derailment.  This was originally a monorail junction which existed before region's bullet train network, which mainly provided intercity connections for Crossings.  The BTM has since completely replaced the GTR's monorail networks.

Inter-region BTM line in rural GTR.

And lastly, a small mosaic of the BTM in Mighty Mouth.

And that will do it!

Stay tuned for new content, including more RHWs, reconstruction and High Definition GTR Signage!

Nexis4Jersey

Splendid update , Ryan the mosaic with the rain droplets is awesome  :thumbsup:

mightygoose

great new update, i have to agree the subtleness of the mosaic rain effect is brilliant.
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Sciurus

L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

art128

Sorry for not replying more often my friend.. &mmm
I want to say that your transportation network is very very outstanding my friend  !! I like your open space between big building, great touch.
Looking forward to more.

Take care,
-Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

just_a_guy

Great views of the Bullet train lines. I especially liked the waterfront shot. Overall very modern looking, fits in well with the whole city.
Come and check out my BATting works at:

Just_a_Guy's attempts at BATing

bat

Great third part of that bullet train! It's so superb! :thumbsup:

Haljackey

Replies:

Nexis4Jersey:  Hey, thanks a lot!  Glad you liked the rain drops in the mosaic!

mightygoose:  Its an old one, but I guess it still works.  Thanks!

Sciurus:  Thanks a lot!  I'm glad you enjoyed it!

art128:  Ah that's ok, not a problem!  I lurk myself you know :P.  Thanks for all the comments!

just_a_guy:  I'm happy you liked it!  Wonderful comments!

bat:  Hehe, thanks!  Glad you are enjoying it!

Update time!

All right, time for some new stuff.  The GTR is beginning to make a uniform highway system for its road networks so its easier to navigate.  This will include the installation of new signage (the new HD GTR Signs mrtnrln made) as well as upgrading existing stretches to further modernize the network.  This update will show you a bit of both, constructing a bigger, better RHW with the new sign system.  A great example of a uniform highway network is the Interstate highways in the US, but here in Canada we have nothing like that.

It will start by upgrading a stretch in Terran Settlement where traffic and the setup needs to be refurbished.  Here's a look at the interchange in its early days:

Initial construction:

A small upgrade and road resurfacing:

Along with the interchange reconstruction and new signage, the RHW will be widened north of the overpass.  Now its on to the actual update!

Pictures

Firstly, an oldie showing the "new" interchange and its traffic patterns.

To remake the interchange, the surroundings are firstly chopped down.  In this shot you can see a short acceleration lane being added to the onramp. 
-Sadly, land constraints restrict from making it longer, but its better than nothing!

Once again opened to traffic, we see the new GTR signage.
-Note the development zoning on the left and the new sound walls.

Here's a more central look at the new interchange.  Note that north of the overpass the median begins to narrow.

That's because a new RHW-6C is being constructed!

Further north, another interchange was remade with the RHW-6C.  Also note the new signage.

But that's not the only highway that's getting a facelift.  Here we see the terminus of a multi-RHW in the south.

It too is going to get reconstructed.  Here we see a new RHW-6C and MIS transitions being placed, adding a new lane per direction.
-That's right!  There's going to be an Multi-RHW-10 when its done!

I think that's a good place to stop.  I will show the construction of the Multi-RHW-10 in the next update, as well as some more upgrades around the region.  I'm such a tease, aren't I?   :P

-Haljackey

deathtopumpkins

Wow, Hal, nice RHW upgrade!  &apls That new corridor and interchange look really nice with RHW 3.0. Very well done.
And the multi-RHW-10 is a neat idea too. Though it makes me wish there was a way to make accel/decel lanes for the RHW-6C.
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Tarkus

Now that was a spectacular update!  It was quite fun seeing the RHW stretch there going through the various changes, and I like what you've done with it thus far.  The Road FLUP was a very nice touch there, and I also love the way you tend to use the NAM Elevated Avenue pieces as well.  Maarten's signage here is also a very nice touch!

I can't wait to see what you do next with it.  I can sympathize with the tendency toward teasing. :D

-Alex

Nexis4Jersey

Nice update , i like that your ripping up all your old highways and replacing them  :thumbsup:

MandelSoft

Sometimes I rebuild my highways in a simmilar way. I've done this at the A7 in Konrad and the A4 Kapish-Blazor. You've rebuilded your interchanges in a splendid way. Oh, and it's nice how you applied my GTR signs here. It's good to have one general signage set, because with multiple signage sets, people are getting confused about which sign means what.

I wish you success with making the multi RHW-10

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

Haljackey

Replies:

deathtopumpkins:  Hey, thanks a lot!  Glad you like the new interchange!
-Yeah me too.  Perhaps they will turn the RHW-6C into an "overhanging" RHW-8C?

Tarkus:  Its great to see you back!  Thanks so much for the wonderful comments!

Nexis4Jersey:  Hehe, thanks!  That's the way to do it!

mrtnrln:  I've seen that in action.  You'll see a ton more GTR signs from now on!

Update time!

This will be a rather large update, aimed at showing you the Multi-RHW being constructed and showing off some new HD GTR signage.

There are 15 pics total, and I hope they don't freeze up your browser!  :P

Pictures

Picking off where we left last time, we see that the new Multi-RHW-10 is now completed.

Here's a closer look at the new connection, now with eyecandy added.

The new ultra-wide RHW digs into the city's interior, and as it does, even it is swallowed by the skyline.  With construction nearly complete, this improved artery will move more traffic quickly and efficiently.

A zoom in on one of the major exchanges.

Immense interchanges are required to service the Multi-RHW-10.
-Notice the new GTR signs installed on the highway.

The terminus of the newly upgraded Multi-RHW.  North of the overpass, the collector and express lanes combine.

...As seen in this picture.  The new GTR signage really helps enhance this image.

Until eventually, the RHW-8 splits.

But its not just those two highways that are getting the new HD signs, routes throughout the GTR are slowly but surely converting to the new standard.

A diagonal RHW stretch near the industrial area now has signs for the first time.

Even major roads are getting some new signs installed!

Not to mention hazard signs.  This acceleration lane has been extended, but all those "lane ends" signs should tell drivers that they will have to eventually merge.

Same goes for deceleration lanes.  A smooth transition is always safer.

Here at the entrance to the city, signs provide useful information to regional commuters and tourists.

This tree-lined ground highway near the CBD is also having its signs replaced.

Not to mention the major junctions.  One of the most important junctions is getting a facelift.

Anyways, that's it for now.

I have also upgraded to Windows 7!  SC4 seems to run just as smoothly as on Vista, but I'm not sure if the graphics are entirely the same.  You may see minimal changes to the pics in the next update.

-Haljackey

deathtopumpkins

Fantastic, Hal! One of your best updates yet!
Quote-Yeah me too.  Perhaps they will turn the RHW-6C into an "overhanging" RHW-8C?
Vince (Blue Lightning) has already begun work on such a project.  ;)

Anyway, I love how the multi-RHW10 turned out. It looks fantastic. Keep up the great work.  &apls
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

metarvo

dtp:  So the RHW-8C is alive?  Oh, yes!  :)

Hal:  IMO, the signage has always been one of the things that puts the "Great" in GTR.  The addition of HD and diagonal signs bring this to the next level, and the highways themselves look better every time I see them.  Trains are nice, but it's good to be on the road again.  Nice update, Hal!

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Tarkus

Hal, another great update here!  The Multi-RHW-10 is looking fantastic, and I particularly love your use of the RHW-4/Dual MIS splitter on the start/end of the C/D Lanes there.  It's spot on.  Maarten's new HD signage adds an especially realistic flair to everything, too . . . that diagonal signage setup is just gorgeous.  That's probably the best use I've seen of the one diagonal RHW-4 MIS Interface, too.

-Alex

bat

Nice work on the signs there! It looks great! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Ryan B.

Haljackey, your highway corridors are some of the most realistic I've ever seen.  Maarten's signs just add that final touch!

Great work, and I look forward to seeing more. 

(I wouldn't mind upgrading to Windows 7 on my laptop, either.  :P)

MandelSoft

Oh boy! An update specailly for my signage set? What an honour! ()stsfd()
Lurk mode: ACTIVE