SC4D Homepage
BSC File Exchange
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: True Earth / World Tour / Updated 12-31  (Read 111777 times)

Offline metarvo

• Wired up!
  • CL: Power to the
    people!
Re: True Earth / 100th Update / Updated 11-13
« Reply #760 on: November 14, 2018, 08:28:45 AM »
Congrats on 100 updates Korver!  This mosaic is a fitting update, as it illustrates just why you've made it this far.  You've shown us some of the most breathtaking SC4 scenery out there, with the realism that a real-world-based MD requires.  I'm looking forward to the next 100, for sure.  Amazing work!

&apls &apls &apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Sim City 4 Devotion Forums

« Reply #760 on: November 14, 2018, 08:28:45 AM »

Offline manga rivotra

« Reply #761 on: November 14, 2018, 11:00:28 AM »
100 updates and I was totally blown away at least 100 times.  &apls &apls &apls
Thanks to your work, we know that this good old SC4 that we adore, can offer scenes of a beauty and an incredible realism in expert hands.
It's a pleasure for the eyes and a great motivation for us, mere players.
A big thank you for that.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #761 on: November 14, 2018, 11:00:28 AM »

Offline PaPa-J

• Of course it's legal, why wouldn't it be?
« Reply #762 on: November 15, 2018, 05:54:51 AM »
100 Updates!  WOW!!!! Great work!
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

« Reply #762 on: November 15, 2018, 05:54:51 AM »

Re: True Earth / Midwest U.S. / Updated 11-18

Online korver

« Reply #763 on: November 18, 2018, 10:49:30 PM »

- UPDATE 101: Midwest U.S. -

Today, we're taking a trip near the center of the United States - a region also known as the Midwest U.S. Although much of the land here is flat farmland - there's more than meets the eye, and the region is home to come of the country's finest cities, landmarks, natural wonders, and more. We'll be taking a look at each and every state in the region - and we'll begin in North Dakota. As with the rest of the Midwest U.S. - small family farms are a common sight here just about everywhere you look.

Our next stop is South Dakota, where we'll visit one of the region's most famous landmarks - iconic Mount Rushmore. This symbolic monument was constructed in the 1930s and features four of America's most famous presidents: George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt and Abraham Lincoln.

A few hundred miles east is South Dakota's capital city of Pierre. This tiny city may only have 13,646 residents - but it more than makes up for it with charming old streets and picturesque views of the Missouri River. The South Dakota State Capitol building is located in the heart of Pierre and can be seen from all around.

Small shops and businesses line the streets of the town's center.

A view of the semi-rural areas just outside the center of town.

A look at some of the rail yards and small industrial districts that can be found just east of the city's center.

Finally, an aerial view of the city and the nearby Missouri River.

We travel east into Minnesota and visit its largest city, Minneapolis. The city's skyline is one the region's finest and is quite stunning at nighttime.

From there, we travel northwest into the neighboring state of Wisconsin. With beautiful fall foliage and picturesque waterfalls scattered around the area, it's one of the region's best kept secrets.

Southwest of Wisconsin is our next stop - rural Iowa. Grain silos are a common sight here and across the rest of the Midwest, towering over the flat farmland.

The Midwest has a rich history as well - some 200 years ago, the Oregon Trail crossed Nebraska's countryside and was a vital route for traders and fur trappers.

South of Nebraska is our next destination, Kansas - where it's nothing but farmland for as far as the eye can see. The entire Midwest is often collectively known as America's breadbasket - and the entire country depends on these harvests.

We travel into Missouri to visit one of the region's most important cities - St. Louis. Its iconic Gateway Arch is one of the Midwest's most famous landmarks.

Located in southern Ohio, Cincinnati is another one of the region's largest cities - and is home to a number of iconic Art Deco skyscrapers like the 574 foot tall Carew Tower.

We travel into southern Michigan and make a brief stop in Detroit - the Motor City. Best known as the center of the U.S. car industry for a century, it's one of the region's most important cities and boasts an impressive skyline as well.

From there, we venture to the shores around Lake Michigan for the last leg of our journey. The endless farmlands are replaced with a sea of heavy industry in many places - like in East Chicago, Indiana - home to one of the Midwest's largest industrial zones.

The tour finishes up in Illinois with an aerial view of the region's largest city - Chicago, better known as the "Windy City".

-korver

Replies:

fantozzi: Thanks for all of the support, appreciate the banner ;D :thumbsup:

art128: It's flown by for sure :D Appreciate for the nice words!

Alan_Waters: :thumbsup: Thanks for all the kind words and support over the years!

metarvo: Thanks for the kind comment - glad you've enjoyed the updates! :)

manga rivotra: Thank you very much for the nice words as always, much appreciated :thumbsup:

PaPa-J: Thanks for the comment and support :thumbsup:

« Reply #763 on: November 18, 2018, 10:49:30 PM »

Offline Alan_Waters

• Old man
  • Industrial forever!..
    • ВКонтакте
« Reply #764 on: November 19, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »
Amazing landscapes, as always. I'm enjoying.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #764 on: November 19, 2018, 09:21:26 AM »

Offline mattb325

• CL:
    SC4D Housing Authority
« Reply #765 on: November 20, 2018, 02:23:34 PM »
I love the aerial shot of Pierre. Just amazing  :thumbsup:

« Reply #765 on: November 20, 2018, 02:23:34 PM »

Offline noahclem

« Reply #766 on: November 20, 2018, 05:32:44 PM »
Excellent update  &apls &apls

Being from South Dakota, born in Nebraska, growing up with Minneapolis as the closest big city, and later living in Wisconsin and Chicago this update hits quite close to home and is certainly something I'd never have expected, not least from someone with your talent. Very cool to see. I'll tell you that your Pierre looks a good bit better than the real one :D

« Reply #766 on: November 20, 2018, 05:32:44 PM »

Offline dyoungyn

« Reply #767 on: November 20, 2018, 05:38:14 PM »
Great Update.  Love the detail.  Your pix of St. Louis reminds me of "The Last Ship" season 2 at which the world was infected with a virus, government collapsed and "The Last Ship" created the United States of America's capitol of St. Louis. 

« Reply #767 on: November 20, 2018, 05:38:14 PM »

Re: True Earth / World War II (Preview) / Updated 11-22

Online korver

« Reply #768 on: November 22, 2018, 02:05:20 AM »

- UPDATE 102: World War II (Preview) -

For the next update, we'll be taking a look at a number of scenes from one of the most significant wars in human history - World War II. Our look at the war will cover some of the most pivotal and defining moments from 1939 to 1945 - here's a preview of what's to come:

The Siege of Leningrad
Late 1941

Attack on Pearl Harbor
December 7th, 1941

American Troops Landing on D-Day
June 6th, 1944

Berlin Towards the End of the War

-korver

Replies:

Alan_Waters: Appreciate the kind words! :)

mattb325: Thank you very much for the comment - glad you liked the Pierre shot :thumbsup:

noahclem: Thanks for the nice words! I haven't done a lot of scenes from the Midwest before so I really wanted to explore the area more in depth - glad you liked the pictures!

dyoungyn: Thank you for comment, glad you enjoyed the update! I haven't seen the series - but I do see the resemblance ;)
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:11:59 AM by korver »

« Reply #768 on: November 22, 2018, 02:05:20 AM »

Offline Alan_Waters

• Old man
  • Industrial forever!..
    • ВКонтакте
« Reply #769 on: November 22, 2018, 10:59:10 AM »
Very atmospheric, as always. With great taste and precision.
Separately, I want to express my great gratitude for your memory of this terrible time.
Thank you very much!

« Reply #769 on: November 22, 2018, 10:59:10 AM »

Offline art128

• ~\.Failed Haibane./~
  • 一人ぼっち
  • CL: Chocolarte
« Reply #770 on: November 22, 2018, 11:39:34 AM »
Nice. Some Epic scenes of WW2 coming, really cool. Looking forward to them!!  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nice work on the midwest BTW, Chicago feels authentic to the real counterpart. :)  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

« Reply #770 on: November 22, 2018, 11:39:34 AM »

Offline dyoungyn

« Reply #771 on: November 22, 2018, 09:38:35 PM »
And yet another awful eye opening reality example of the damage "man" has caused due to selfishness.  Great display of the devastation war causes. 

« Reply #771 on: November 22, 2018, 09:38:35 PM »

Offline PaPa-J

• Of course it's legal, why wouldn't it be?
« Reply #772 on: November 23, 2018, 06:24:14 AM »
You must really be really digging into the farthest reaches and deepest depths of the internet to find all the lots and plops you use.

Great work. I Love it.
Lighten up, just enjoy life,
smile more, laugh more,
and don't get so worked up
about things.

« Reply #772 on: November 23, 2018, 06:24:14 AM »

Offline Badsim

• Le Diable est dans les détails .
  • CL: Not that bad !!!   $%Grinno$%
« Reply #773 on: November 24, 2018, 10:15:53 AM »
Hi ,

… banally extraordinary , these two words are going so well together here . And always a mystery for me to understand how  you do manage to do so much works in a such short time .  /wrrd%&

Have seen that finally there’s a new HoF election , is it necessary to wish you good luck ?  ;D

Congratulations for all the hard work constantly done ! &apls

Cédric.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

« Reply #773 on: November 24, 2018, 10:15:53 AM »

Offline fantozzi

« Reply #774 on: November 24, 2018, 12:47:28 PM »
Berlin 1945:

With all respect, Korver, I admire your work, but so far you didn't get the subject right. Please try again.

https://www.stern.de/panorama/berlin-am-ende-des-2--weltkriegs-und-heute---fotos-im-schieberegler-der-geschichte-6200848.html

Removed first image.  While the staff respects the intent to show the horrors of war, it is a bit more graphic/grisly than we generally permit on the forums, getting toward Site Rule #2 material.  Also fixed one of the image tags on one of the middle photos. -Alex/Tarkus, Admin
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 06:59:27 AM by fantozzi »
When you look really closely, all mirrors look like eyeballs.

« Reply #774 on: November 24, 2018, 12:47:28 PM »

Offline mattb325

• CL:
    SC4D Housing Authority
« Reply #775 on: November 24, 2018, 03:46:46 PM »
It's always a horrible reminder to see man's shocking inhumanity towards his fellow man over ideological differences. I do appreciate the pearl harbor scene...very realistic 

« Reply #775 on: November 24, 2018, 03:46:46 PM »

Re: True Earth / WWII / Updated 11-24

Offline fantozzi

« Reply #776 on: November 25, 2018, 03:56:46 AM »
Korver, did you have a look on the link to the "Stern" page? The splitted movable pictures - showing today's situation on the left side and WW2's situation on the right side. Thought you might like this idea of a splitted picture present/past.

The major problem is: how do you want to display something completely out of joint, absurd, excessive and without any measures - how to display something like this realistic? Realism is, when we can judge and measure and analyze things.

The Philosopher Theodor W. Adorno said in 1949: "To write a poem after Auschwitz is barbarism." You can't give a realistic pitcure from what happened in Auschwitz. It was beyond what the term reality can support. Every picture you do will be belittlement, because the hell exceeded the capability of our understandings and so of our means of representation.

That is why Adorno said such marrowy words.

Imho - if you want to do something on the cruelty of war you have to leave your good sense ("bon sense" - original words by Rousseau, adopted as "common sense" to english), the whole concept of realism behind. A realistic impression ends at the gates of Auschwitz. Like when Dante Alighieri enters hell: “All hope abandon, ye who enter here.” In the case of WW2 - abandon common sense when you enter here.

So for us to get closer to the circumstances far beyond of what is understandible, to catch a glimpse of the evil, we have to leave that ground of realistic art - of realistic pictures. That is a main objective of modern art and it's important to understand it is a serious objective. How can we get accees to these things beyond our imagination, beyond our capablities of understanding? How can we find expressions, means to describe things that lost any measure?

One of the best readings about this – and I really recommend it – is a report for "The New Yorker" written in 1963 from the Eichman-Trial in Jerusalem. The reporter by this time was Hannah Arendt. This report is online.

But, Korver, at the end this is only my view and all I felt was the need to explain why I'm not so happy with your latest updates. That isn't meant as critique on your artwork. This doesn't mean I want to judge your work. I just wanted to make some remarks about a subject being difficult in general, not specialy because of your treatment. Everything's fine about this. And I think at this points it's easy to speak in the name of the whole community: we all enjoy your work.

But ...  :laugh:

... me personally, if I wanted to show WW2 in a picture, I would do the following. In my city, Heidelberg, far from the touristic center, there is a tiny plaza in between narrow alleyways - it's called "plaza of the synagoge". What is frightening about this plaza - there is no synagoge. It is empty.

It looks like this:

I would go with this - what this little plaza is telling. Okay - to show absence is a pretty heavy task. Normally you want to fill pictures with a lot of colours and objects. But when you want to reach this coldest point of humanity one perhaps has to give up what he likes and to show extinction itself. Like you did on the Nakasaki-picture which is probably the best. Not to show what can be seen but to to have an emptyness like a question mark.

A brilliant variation of showing absence is this little cartoon by mordillo:

With the shadow still there in the last picture he creates a "wrongness", a gap. And it's easy to understand what he is talking about: the shadow is the memory. The memory stays, while the people are gone. One could say memory is the conscience of absence - of the people and things they aren't anymore. I think those gaps - like the missing tree - they are a means to talk about WW2.

Sorry for the wall of text, I was churning and felt a need to say all this.
Fantozzi
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 04:32:02 AM by fantozzi »

« Reply #776 on: November 25, 2018, 03:56:46 AM »

Re: True Earth / World War II (Preview) / Updated 11-24

Online korver

« Reply #777 on: November 25, 2018, 06:26:16 AM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words on the preview entry :thumbsup:

After some deliberation - I've made the decision of putting the full World War II entry on hiatus for the time being.

After re-evaluating the pictures, and after taking feedback into consideration - I've decided to approach some of the scenes differently, so there's a number of pictures that I'll be redoing. Additionally, I felt that there was too much packed into the final update - so I'll probably be breaking it down into multiple updates in the future.

There's currently no timetable as for when the updates will get released - I'll still need to sit down and think about how I want to approach it. In the meantime however, I have a few older CJ updates from earlier this year that I haven't gotten around to posting yet - so I'll be posting those very shortly.

-korver
« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 03:31:02 PM by korver »

« Reply #777 on: November 25, 2018, 06:26:16 AM »

Offline fantozzi

« Reply #778 on: November 25, 2018, 11:48:53 AM »
I felt that there was too much packed into the final update - so I'll probably be breaking it down into multiple updates in the future.

I would support this idea. There's nothing wrong in showing the big battles of WW2 and the details on the Pearl Harbor picture, like the splashes from the machine gun fire, they are impressive. Another challenge could be the german submarine blockade of England or the fighting in the north african dessert. Another very interesting and almost forgotten chapter are the italian soldiers on the small greek isles. Those hundreds of small greek isles were controlled by fascist italian army during WW2. But when WW2 ended some of the solders were simply forgotten by the italian state without a working gouvernement. Many of those italian soldiers in Greece for one, even two years they still believed it was war and did their patrols on these isles in the mediterranian and they thought it was evil propaganda from radio that war had ended - so as they did get no new command they continued to defend their little greek islands against the "enemy" long after war.

There are other chapters of WW2, I personally think, you can't tell them adequate in SC4. The human desaster, the Holocaust, the war against civilians. Hamburg, Berlin and Nagasaki and Auschwitz, the ghetto of Warsaw.

That doesn't mean you can't make pictures of WW2 at all. I don't want to be a moralizer ... and maybe simply to stay on the topic of epic battle scenes may do the trick? I wasn' concerned about your work but about some comments not aware how tasteless it sounds when they demand for "more". I know, they aren't evil guys. But I felt ashamed by those comments on your preview. 

I appreciate you considering this. Thank you, Korver.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2018, 12:06:07 PM by fantozzi »

« Reply #778 on: November 25, 2018, 11:48:53 AM »

Offline Badsim

• Le Diable est dans les détails .
  • CL: Not that bad !!!   $%Grinno$%
« Reply #779 on: November 25, 2018, 01:16:25 PM »
My dear friends , fantozzi , korver ,

By the past , I’ve had to feel a certain embarrassment with an update by kelis depicting concentration camps , how pure was his intention .

I said … nothing . I simply stayed stupidly pensive . Stupidly pensive and stupidly sad . Stupidly sad but seriously ashamed .

Fortunately for our mental health , nothing of what we can think  , at its full consciousness or not , lasts … and because that’s how it is ,  before my consciousness have the good idea to move to something else , for sure infinitely more important :

Such truthful reaction , fantozzi , deserves a K-point .

Such intelligent reaction  , korver , deserves a K-point .

And when the  karma system  requested  me a reason and because we need to be short with  62 characters only , I wrote : Because .

Thanks to Alex for having removed the first picture … independently to the site rules ( but not that much ) , if you think about it , fantozzi , it was a perfect counterexample of what you try ( and brilliantly succeed as far as I’m concerned )  to say .

Respectfully .

C.

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °

« Reply #779 on: November 25, 2018, 01:16:25 PM »

If you experience visual glitches in our site, we strongly suggest you to use Firefox to browse the forums. Also a 1024*768 or higher resolution is highly recommended to view this site

SMF 2.0.13 | SMF © 2016, Simple Machines
TinyPortal © 2005-2011
SMFAds for Free Forums

Page created in 0.696 seconds with 111 queries.