• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Port St Claire (#36)

Started by Swordmaster, October 07, 2012, 05:19:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MTT9

Liked the jorney through your old pics, it will be cool to compare them with whatever PSC ends up being. It's funny to see my own old pics from a couple of years ago too. I have changed and improve quite a lot, but still got lots to learn...
I'll be waiting for more :)
You can call me Matt

Schulmanator

I like the marina. But the firefighters??? That made me LOL for sure!  :satisfied:
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

bat

Nice views of the forest. And the old pictures are great, too!!
Looking forward to more... ;)

sunv123

A great "blast from the past". $%Grinno$% I thought that you only built small towns, not actual cities. Guess i was wrong. Maybe later in this MD there will be highways, but that will be a long way to go.

LOL, the ship in pic 4 looks like it crashed into the bridge. :D
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

RickD

I don't have much time for Sim City and SC4D at the moment but I always check into PSC whenever I get a chance. There are so many great things to see. Keep it up. :thumbsup:
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

noahclem

Awesome work on the latest batch of photos and the look back into the past is fascinating  &apls  Really impressive for its age and full of lots of interesting ideas. But no sunken highways in the current iteration of PSC? That's too bad, I've always preferred them to elevated highways because their aesthetic impact is much less negative, imo. Amazing OSITM so far  :o

Swordmaster

P O R T    S T    C L A I R E
O S I T M   1 2 / 1 2

Turns out my Christmas got ruined well before it started. On Sunday December 16, my grandmother of 88 years died unexpectedly. She was a wonderful woman who, like her late husband, meant a great deal to me.

I've learnt in recent years that I'm very bad at digesting these kind of events, so it may take a while until I'm back in any creative mood of sorts. Today I fired up PSC for the first time, but nothing happened really. Moreover, some of the new NAM stuff currently has my interest, so you'll get a second-hand Christmas card at best. Its wishes aren't any less sincere, though.

Replies

Quote from: SerkannerCool! I like your old pictures as much as I like the new ones. Don't hesitate to show more of them.  :thumbsup:
Thanks. I don't think the rest of them are worth it, though. Lots of empty spaces there.

Quote from: benedictYou are putting on an incredible OSITM, and it has pushed you to number one on BTT this week.
Thanks! I don't think I'll get back there any time soon, though :(

Quote from: vortextTone it down a bit with these updates will you?! I can't keep up!!  $%Grinno$%

The past two rural updates are marvelous, the retextured BOTM is great. I hope Gobias takes note because this is kinda what I'm looking for as well. Great work.  :thumbsup:

If the previous incarnations of PSC are any indication, we'll be having plenty to look forward to. I'm wondering though when and why you decided to take a more historical approach - and consequently when the current iteration wil reach modernity. In any case, your OSITM has been good fun so far and the #1 spot is well deserved!  &apls
Now, got what you wanted? ;)   Thanks, though. Got a pretty interesting question there. I moved away from trying to build the city as a finished product at once because it's simply impossible to give it any sense of realism that way. It just ends up being a collection of sceneries, which are nice, but don't constitute a real city. I first thought of building non-historically, with some form of natural growth or whatever. That gradually shifted towards a more historical approach around the time I started the MD. If you go back to the first post, you'll see I even got power lines in there at the time. I realized that was pretty ridiculous.

I've yet to evaluate the current approach. Maybe it won't get me there either, but at least it gives me things I can show as we go. As to when we'll reach a certain point, that's up for grabs. Seeing that PSC would already be pretty large even by the year 1900, I don't expect we'll get to the current date any time soon. Although I have to mention that without everyone's support here, I wouldn't even have made it here. :)

Quote from: JmouseNow this is an interesting turn of events. A trip back in time is often an eye-opening experience. When I look at past photos of mine, I can't believe what I thought looked good at the time. I like #5 because of the marina, and #10 is kind of appealing, probably because the little park caught my eye. #11 is not bad – a good idea, but the trees lined up like tin soldiers look a bit odd. &mmm

Your vintage photos are much better than mine, and I really enjoyed looking through them. Excellent idea, and congratulations on being in first place on BTT...

-Joan
Thanks Joan. Glad you enjoyed the journey back in time. Although we're always back in time here, right? :D

Quote from: MTT9Liked the jorney through your old pics, it will be cool to compare them with whatever PSC ends up being. It's funny to see my own old pics from a couple of years ago too. I have changed and improve quite a lot, but still got lots to learn...
I'll be waiting for more :)
Thanks! Even the best can learn something new any day.

Quote from: SchulmanatorI like the marina. But the firefighters??? That made me LOL for sure!  :satisfied:
Thanks, Bruce.

Quote from: batNice views of the forest. And the old pictures are great, too!!
Looking forward to more... ;)
Thank you. I'll try to get some more this month. . .

Quote from: sunv123A great "blast from the past". $%Grinno$% I thought that you only built small towns, not actual cities. Guess i was wrong. Maybe later in this MD there will be highways, but that will be a long way to go.

LOL, the ship in pic 4 looks like it crashed into the bridge. :D
Thanks. What? Shame! PSC will be a Big City. . . when it ever gets there. I have no idea on the population count, though. Might be two million, might be ten. Of course there will be highways. Way back, I started this city as an excuse to build lots of freeways. Looks like I got a little off track somewhere.

And I remember I measured that bridge out quite well. It was high enough to let these monsters pass underneath.

Quote from: RickDI don't have much time for Sim City and SC4D at the moment but I always check into PSC whenever I get a chance. There are so many great things to see. Keep it up. :thumbsup:
Thanks, Raphael. Great to hear that. I'll try to keep it up there.

Quote from: noahclemAwesome work on the latest batch of photos and the look back into the past is fascinating  &apls  Really impressive for its age and full of lots of interesting ideas. But no sunken highways in the current iteration of PSC? That's too bad, I've always preferred them to elevated highways because their aesthetic impact is much less negative, imo. Amazing OSITM so far  :o
Thank you! Yeah, it's becoming an old lady, huh? :D  I prefer sunken highways, too, but if you just build everything in every city, then what's their real character? There will surely be some other things that PSC won't have. . . though not many ;)

Thanks for reading, folks. I don't expect to be back before Christmas, but I'm confident I'll get something soon enough.

Cheers
Willy

MTT9

I'm sorry for your loss Willy. Wish i had anything good to reconfort you, it's always hard when you loose someone you care about...

At least the pic is great :) Merry christmas to you and your family.
You can call me Matt

jmyers2043

That is a nice Christmas card. Thank you. Please know that I am sorry for your loss   - Jim

Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

dedgren

Beautiful.  Absolutely beautiful.

I'm so sorry about your grandmother, Willy.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Kergelen

Nice picture and Merry Christmas.

I'm sorry about your grandmother. I also loss unexpectedly my grandmother one and half month ago (the last of all of my grandparents),
and know the feeling of not believing it until after some days.

Links to SC4 websites

sunv123

We're all so sorry for the death of your grandmother, it is always so hard when your loved ones die. Like haljackey said in my signature, even when it's dark, light will come if you continue.

Thank you for the Christmas card, it's always wonderful to get one from my favorite MD. Thanks PSC. I'm glad that you're still continuing. Like i said, PSC is one of my favorite.
Provo, a city apart Updated July 4.

noahclem

Beautiful Christmas card Willy  :o

My deepest condolences for your loss  &mmm

vortext

Lovely picture Willy!  &apls

Did you create a snowy terrain texture or is it all post-production, so to speak. Or both? Either way, it looks great.  :thumbsup:

Sorry to hear about your grandmother, my condoleances to you and your family.
time flies like a bird
fruit flies like a banana

mattb325

I'm very sorry to read of your loss of your grandmother, and my sincere condolences to you and your family.

The images you have shown are really beautiful and what you've been working on recently is fantastic, a huge U-turn from your older work  ;).

metarvo

I'm sorry you lost your grandmother, Willy.  :(  If you need to take time off, don't feel bad about doing so.

Thank you for the Christmas card.  SC4 has helped me get my snow fix this year since I don't really get to see any.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

benedict

Sorry to hear about your grandmother.

This week your MD stayed on top of BTT, making it the Christmas number one - nice work.
Click on the banner to celebrate!

Jmouse

Heartfelt condolences, Willy. You must have many pleasant memories of the times you spent with your grandmother, of the wonderful things she taught you and the love she shared with you. I hope you will be able to find solace in celebrating her life.

Serkanner

My condolences for your loss Willy. Take good care of yourself.

bat

That's a wonderful christmas card. :thumbsup:

And I'm sorry about your grandmother.