• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

io_bg

Looks great! :thumbsup: I've always wanted smoother corners and crossings!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

dedgren

jeronij and I had a chance this morning to push down the road a little bit a "science experiment" I've been kicking around in my head for a while.

Ploppable water on steroids!

I've never cared for the way that any variety of PW has looked in creating larger rivers and streams.  There's always lots of artifacting where the many small irregularly-shaped plops necessarily overlap each other and those edges can be more of a curse than a blessing in creating banks and shores.

This is 45 minutes or so playing with a "what if..."

This river flows downhill.

That's 19 meters from edge to edge of the quad, about 60 feet.

Banks are smooth like those of "game" water rivers.

A closer look.

You can detail banks and shores just as you do at present.

This is still in the first stages of figuring things out...

...but I'd say we're on the right track.

Headed back to Anchorage tomorrow.  Heather's here another week, then she'll be off to Texas to visit Tristen.  My next trip'll be this summer, when I hope to be on the road for about a month- we're thinking of driving down the Alaska Highway for the first time in years.

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

pvarcoe

WOW

So do I understand correctly David?
Is the ploppable water actually flowing, following the contours of a riverbed?

Because if it is, you are on the verge of unlocking the holy grail of sc4 (IMHO)

Cool stuff!
Phil

Pat

LoL David since when did TPW go on Track lol.... If anything I would say its flowing nicely lol  :D

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

homefryes

OMG, I'm envisioning a much better looking Ashtabula River! Simply amazing!

-- Don
Utility Poles Project [linkie]
Ashtabula (the MD) is not dead; it's just on a really long hiatus!
Check out Homefryes' BATatorium

calibanX

Fantastic idea with the ploppable water. Would this work for non-flowing bodies of water as well? Lakes and large 'seas' would be fun to make with ploppable water.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

io_bg

That's awesome! You're always full of ideas, David! :thumbsup:
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

dragonshardz

threestooges

Seems Jeroni was able to handle things quite well. Sorry I wasn't able to get that taken care of (and thanks Jeroni for putting up with my PMs). It looks promising David, as you've said. Glad to hear the trip is going well, and I hope you're able to take that drive over the summer.
-Matt

jacqulina

hiya david sorry i havnt popped in,you have been very busy here i see,wonderfull ideas and creations,the PW you and jeronij are working on looks fantastic my friend.i look forward to more progress. &apls &apls

jmyers2043

QuoteI'd say we're on the right track.

My thought too. I tried to do something similar a way back. Miserable failure it was so I decided to do other things. I'm glad to see you've found the track.
Jim Myers  (5th member of SC4 Devotion)

jeronij

It is great to see how with a little bit of David's magic this test looks so gorgeous  ::)  :thumbsup:
I am currently not active - Please, contact Tarkus for any site related matter. Thanks for enjoying SC4D :D

Autism Awareness;  A Father Shares
Mallorca My Mayor Diary

mightygoose

aaaaaaaaaaah, i may have to start doing rivers... :O
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

metarvo

I've started playing with PW recently, so I'm paying close attention to any developments in that department.  This is nice work!  :thumbsup:

The intersection is also good.  Not every intersection in RL has crosswalks, so the same should apply to SC4.
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

kimcar

Quote from: io_bg on April 05, 2009, 12:32:03 AM
That's awesome! You're always full of ideas, David! :thumbsup:

I totally agree with io_bg . Each time that i come you are working on something new . Once again i`m putting my hat down. &apls &apls

Gaston

This is a really kool developement.    I love PW but it never looked quite right so I only used it in VERY limited quantities.   With this we can create truely realistic looking rivers and streams.    Fantastic work, my friend.

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Dark_Jedi06

Oh my goodness that's amazing! :o

It makes the "real" in-game water obsolete!
...this space to be filled soon...

Haljackey

I spy with my little eye... a river.

...And not just any river, a real river.  You know, the ones that are actually above sea level?  I know it makes sense, but Maxis somehow left this no-brainer out of the game for some reason.

Amazing work I must say!  This will be a real asset to the game!  (Just like everything else you've made  :P.)

Sorry I haven't posted here in a bit, but I've been keeping an eye on 3RR.  I'm loving all the developments!  Keep at it!   :thumbsup:

bob56

this is a breakthrough!!! I'll be able to use rivers in the parts of my terrain mod where there are beautiful trees, and have flowing water!! One ?, though...how do roads ect. handle this. Bridges, or just going through it?

great job Can't wait to use these.
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19

mightygoose

if only the water texture wasnt so uniform and abit more of a realistic colour this would be absolutely perfect...
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....