• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mightygoose

Quote from: thundercrack83 on March 16, 2009, 03:39:49 AM
I was thinking the same thing, Steph!

Though, I'm sure that whatever you come up with David, it'll be great!

Dustin

especially if they are done with overhang so they can go directly adjacent to the roads or are we taking this FAFFing too FAR? :P
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Andreas

Quote from: wouanagaine on March 16, 2009, 12:49:45 AM
Now David, I think that you have plenty of time to remove the griddy of farms field

You mean like this? ;)
Andreas

wouanagaine

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

FrankU

Yes! Diagonal Farm Fields!
I'd like that very much.

I have thought then: usually the lines in the fields are made by tractors that ploughed the whole field. These tractors drive around.
Usually they turn at the end of the field, so you can see curves. So it would be nice to end the fields with half-circled curves. Maybe the textures from the centers of the circular fields are good for that?

Another possibility is to make the first row of lines parallel to the fences, and the diagonal pieces should be next to that.
I'll try to draw it:

\\\\_________
\\\\________
  \\\\________
   \\\\_______

The diagonal fence is on the left side. I should find a picture somewhere....

dedgren

August, 2008, was bookended by trains [linkie].

I mean, sometimes you just make this stuff up.  We started the month with a great pic of a RL single track rail line, and a month later (thanks in large part to Dave (bighead99) there's a full-blown project underway to get STR into the game.

August was a watershed month in another way, too.  It was the last month before average daily page views literally doubled overnight to their current level.  We must have done something right during the month, because we hit the ground running on September 1st and have never looked back.

For the time being though, the focus was on the FARR and Rail Wide Radius Curves, which Alex (Tarkus) had just handed back after MODding them.  They worked fine, but the textures were still way off [linkie].

The FAR/Wide Radius Road Curves also needed some work, but they were pretty stunning to use [linkie] just as is.

There were setbacks, yes [linkie]

and the usual diversions [linkie]

but, by and large, we just kept plodding along [linkie].

Matt's (threestooges) telephone poles made their first appearance [linkie]

as we told politically incorrect jokes [linkie]

and kept notching new milestones.

Two jokes about something in two days [linkie],

in this case ploppable stuff, usually means we're up to something.  This time it was building the 3RR PlopperizerTM, about which we'll have to say much more as we look at September, 2008.

In the meantime, we showed the ever growing inventory of Matt's poles [linkie]

and then started introducing ploppable road signs [linkie].

After a short break to take in some scenery [linkie]

we took a full-up look at ST member ja-att's sign props [linkie] and took up the issues of scale

and offset prop BATting.

A few comments later, I make the first mention ever of the PlopperizerTM in a reply edit to a post by 3RR collaborator dragonshardz [linkie].  Our great friend Ryan (burgsabre87) then sent us an offset BATted stop sign, which we plopped and played with for a while [linkie].

Ploppable signage was clearly, at this point, here to stay.  The discussion that ensued about signage BATting techniques, though, left me feeling like this [linkie].

R. Crumb, all rights reserved, 1971

Like Dirty Harry [linkie] said, "a man's got to know his limitations."

Mid-August came and went and, as usual, we decided to throw a change-up [linkie].  You were expecting more road signs?  Nah, not today.  Today you got hot springs [linkie]

based on what I saw late in June at Yellowstone [linkie].

A few days later, we found that geyser we'd started looking for when we discovered the hot springs [linkie].

As August wound down, we passed along the sad news that our great friend Emil (emilin) was closing his SC4D Hall of Fame Mayors' Diary Blackwater (with Islas Gemas)[linkie].

3RR Regular* J-Dub sent us some stop signs and flashers to check out, and we took a look at them here [linkie].

I'm really hoping that our friend does a V2- they would be great to have in the game.

In a long post on August 25th, we laid out on Excel spreadsheets the ploppable sign set that I hope to create for 3RR and for use by those so inclined [linkie].  Here are the curve signs- one of the four categories planned.

We continued on to discuss the "China Syndrome" (as in, "see all the way to China") bug in connection with using Chris's (chrisadams3997) great Rural Renewal Project paths.

We took a look at the bug and described the quick and dirty method of correcting it when it appears.

Continuing in that helpful mode, we described how to remove the "corner junk" from SAM intersections so that the new signs we were developing could be used [linkie].

With just a couple of days to go in August, we explored the offset needed for signage at diagonal intersections [linkie].

The last posts of the month, though, went off on an entirely new tangent- ploppable seasonal trees and other flora [linkie].

summer

fall

More pics [linkie].

Ploppable seasonal stuff was still not perfected, but that didn't mean, as you'll see later in the year, that I wasn't still working on it.  That work continues today.

Well, August was all over the map, even for 3RR.  We'll move on into September, 2008, in our next post [linkie].  As I said at the start of this one, it began with single track rail.

David

*  A 3RR Regular, as I'm wont to remind you from time to time, is any one of you (and you and you and you...) who has ever posted here or over at 3RR-ST at least once.

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

frdrcklim

300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

Battlecat

This recap is great since I haven't had the time to review even half of this thread since I came back!  So many amazing things, love those hot springs and geysers. 

Ryan B.

Quote from: frdrcklim on March 16, 2009, 09:19:46 AM
good times :).

Understatement?  I think so.  

Extraordinarily good times.   :)

TheTeaCat

"It was the best of times " and it still is :thumbsup:

Fabulous visual recap &apls  jogged so many memories :thumbsup:
So much ground breaking stuff too :D :D

Long may it continue :thumbsup:

regards
Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

ldvger

The thing is, in RL farmers don't plow in half circles or diagonals.  They farm, for the most part, in straight lines across whatever field they are plowing/planting.  If they have a diagonal line that marks the end of the field, they pick up the plow, turn the half circle, put the plow back down, then head back down the next furrow, leaving an untilled triangle at the diagonal.  If they are thrifty farmers, after the entire field is plowed, they will go back and plow a line along the diagonal that runs along the fence line and cuts off the tops of thier straight line rows.  When the crop is planted and grown and ready to harvest, these diagonal edges of the field are harvested first, then the straight line rows are harvested.  I lived in farm country for over 15 years and observed this many. many times. 

So, if you want to make your fields comform to RL farming practices, go ahead and let the game's farming tool lay out the straight rows of the field.  Then develop a Mod (is that right?) that will allow your farmer to go back into the field with his tractor and plow/plant along the diagonal tops of his rows, parallel to the diagonal fence line.  Seems to me this could be fun to work out, especially if you could animate it.  Little tractor buzzing along...

Lora/LD 

metarvo

It looks like the grid's about to get dealt quite a blow here.  Diagonal farms of any kind would automatically be an improvement, since there can never be enough diagonals as far as I'm concerned.  Whatever you decide to do about this, I know you'll do it right, David.  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

mightygoose

well in the UK & Europe a farm field can be any shape you want it to be.... so FAFF would rock
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

bat

Nice review of August 2008! Looking forward to the rest months!
And nice pictures of your newest work on the previous page! :thumbsup:

FrankU

Quote from: ldvger on March 17, 2009, 12:54:34 AM
The thing is, in RL farmers don't plow in half circles or diagonals.  They farm, for the most part, in straight lines across whatever field they are plowing/planting.  If they have a diagonal line that marks the end of the field, they pick up the plow, turn the half circle, put the plow back down, then head back down the next furrow, leaving an untilled triangle at the diagonal.  If they are thrifty farmers, after the entire field is plowed, they will go back and plow a line along the diagonal that runs along the fence line and cuts off the tops of thier straight line rows.  When the crop is planted and grown and ready to harvest, these diagonal edges of the field are harvested first, then the straight line rows are harvested.  I lived in farm country for over 15 years and observed this many. many times. 

So, if you want to make your fields comform to RL farming practices, go ahead and let the game's farming tool lay out the straight rows of the field.  Then develop a Mod (is that right?) that will allow your farmer to go back into the field with his tractor and plow/plant along the diagonal tops of his rows, parallel to the diagonal fence line.  Seems to me this could be fun to work out, especially if you could animate it.  Little tractor buzzing along...

Lora/LD 

Lora,

You said it in a better way than I tried to do in my post yesterday! It would be a great development. No real farmer would leave the triangles alone....

dedgren

I love this game...

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

TheTeaCat

Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Ryan B.

Not being able to play anymore makes me realize how much I like playing it.

I miss you, SC4!

nerdly_dood

Quote from: burgsabre87 on March 17, 2009, 05:26:55 PM
Not being able to play anymore makes me realize how much I like playing it.

I miss you, SC4!

Hear, hear! I know how you feel... :'(
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

just_a_guy

Quote from: dedgren on March 17, 2009, 04:14:39 PM
I love this game...

Quote from: TheTeaCat on March 17, 2009, 04:18:58 PM

Me Too :thumbsup:

David

263370[/size][/font]
Me Three ;D

There has been a lot of development as we can see in that awsome recap here but even though I barely started commenting, I've been a lurker here for quite some time now. Great stuff, Great times!
Come and check out my BATting works at:

Just_a_Guy's attempts at BATing