• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Tales at TeaTime

Started by TheTeaCat, May 22, 2007, 04:32:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebes

Very nice Derry! It's been a while since I was here, but I like the new map and the progress. Looking forward to what you show us here.

I hope you will find the strength to go on even after the loss of your good friend.

A big hug from Amsterdam!  ()flower()
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

TheTeaCat

A quick update to keep my readers happy ;D
Replies to follow.

In the meantime here's a few pics to keep you all satisfied I hope ::)

As you can see its a work in progress ::)
Hope you like :D :D

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

threestooges

Derry, I love it. The first pic is an excellent demonstration of your already well known rural skills. The only issue I see with the pic is that the dirt path has a break in it on the right hand end of it (I know such paths can break up, but that one looks too clean for a natural one). The rest of the update reminds me a bit of Gotham City (might be the rather tall rail line that reminds me of Batman Begins) but it looks like you have quite a variety of things in the works. Great little update, and I'm looking forward to what comes next.
-Matt

Ennedi

WOW!

The first pic is fantastic, but the next one and the rest... :thumbsup:
The new era in TaTT? Looks excellent, please continue!  &dance

Adam
New Horizons Productions
Berethor - beskhu3epnm - blade2k5 - dmscopio - dedgren - Emilin - Ennedi
jplumbley - moganite - M4346 - nichter85 - papab2000 - Shadow Assassin - Tarkus - wouanagaine

Schulmanator

This reader is temporarily satisfied with the awesome pix...

now I want MOAR!!!!!  :thumbsup:
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

EDGE4194

Derry- thanks for the wonderful update! What a great variety of pics. Awesome use of the Borg cube! Nice rural and industrial shots as well.  &apls

Jmouse

Derry, this update is such a joy to see. So pleased to know you are able to take pleasure in the game once again, and share that pleasure with us.

Your many talents are shining through as you inspire and delight us with gorgeous photos. Your rural work is legendary - the fence lines are especially well done in this photo. As for the metro and industrial areas, I'm not really a fan of either one, but if I could create scenes half as good as yours, I would change my mind in a hurry.

Welcome back...
Joan

thundercrack83

Outstanding work here, Derry!

The farms are just spectacular and your industries look very realistic--I'll be referencing them next time I head into the game to make some industrial areas, you can bet on that one!

Hope all is well with you, my friend!

Dustin

art128

What ?! only 5 pictures ?  $%Grinno$% As well Derry, these pictures are just fantastic, you've done an excellent work here my friend, the area with the EL-Train (even if we can name that a train  :o :o ) is very nice and pleasant. &apls
the industrial sector looks excellent there too, great choice of industry, even if they are a bit repetitive...
As well, my favorite part rest the farms land, very great and calm, a pure pleasure to my eyes to see that.  ()stsfd()

Arthur. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

bat

Wonderful industrial area there! Nice work on these five pictures!! :thumbsup:

Simpson

Hi Derry !  :)
As well this update is fantastic, my friend. The industry area is looking incredible.
My preferate picture is the first one  :thumbsup:.
Only one thing: I think, the Bat with green lights, on the second picture, is maybe a bit strange, no?

I'm looking forward to the next update  ::)

Take care,

David
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Gaston

Hey there Derry,
    I love the pics in the update.    You have to tell me what the heck kinda el train is that.    I've never seen one like that before.

Guess I wasn't the only one who wants to use that train.    lol 

---Gaston
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

Pat

Derry I loved this update and BTW what in the world was that train system there?? Very intresting and well satisfied  :satisfied:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

catty

That train line looks stunning at night and ditto on the where did you get it?

love the flowers in the field and that "entertainment centre" looks like UFO all green and glowing.  :) 
I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?" DEATH thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE.

Battlecat

Fantastic work.  All the pictures look great, but I must admit a weakness for the first one, that's a lovely rural shot.  Which farm is the one with the flowers? 

TheTeaCat

This will probably be the last update for a while as I shall be competing in GRV II
but it doesn't mean I won't be closing this down or anything  $%Grinno$%, its just going to go on the backbunner for a little while
but I'll may post mini updates or TEAsers you'll just have to wait and see  ::) :D :D
now for some other stuff :thumbsup:

Quote from: threestooges on February 22, 2009, 03:34:59 PM
Derry, I love it. The first pic is an excellent demonstration of your already well known rural skills. The only issue I see with the pic is that the dirt path has a break in it on the right hand end of it (I know such paths can break up, but that one looks too clean for a natural one). The rest of the update reminds me a bit of Gotham City (might be the rather tall rail line that reminds me of Batman Begins) but it looks like you have quite a variety of things in the works. Great little update, and I'm looking forward to what comes next.
-Matt

Matt
Thanks for those kind words :thumbsup:
I really like taht pic myself and that path only stood out to me once I had posted the pic. may go back and fix it we'll see if I remember to do that when I finish that tile ::)
Yes that El Train  is a little gem :D more on that later ( see below)
And its nice to mix it up a bit and I've been know to do that too (sometimes a little too much ::))

Quote from: Ennedi on February 22, 2009, 03:49:59 PM
WOW!

The first pic is fantastic, but the next one and the rest... :thumbsup:
The new era in TaTT? Looks excellent, please continue!  &dance

Adam
Thanks Adam. I take it you liked it then :D
More of that to come but it may take a back seat to GRV II ::)

Quote from: Schulmanator on February 22, 2009, 06:52:11 PM
This reader is temporarily satisfied with the awesome pix...

now I want MOAR!!!!!  :thumbsup:

And MOAR you shall. I can't have my readers temporarily satisfied $%Grinno$%
they should be fully satisfied  :D :D
It's always great to see you Bruce - thanks for stopping by :thumbsup:

Quote from: EDGE4194 on February 22, 2009, 08:23:11 PM
Derry- thanks for the wonderful update! What a great variety of pics. Awesome use of the Borg cube! Nice rural and industrial shots as well.  &apls

Thanks Mate :thumbsup:
I thought a little bit of everything would be nice for a change instead of focusing just on one part ;D
Glad you liked it

Quote from: Jmouse on February 22, 2009, 10:06:54 PM
Derry, this update is such a joy to see. So pleased to know you are able to take pleasure in the game once again, and share that pleasure with us.

Your many talents are shining through as you inspire and delight us with gorgeous photos. Your rural work is legendary - the fence lines are especially well done in this photo. As for the metro and industrial areas, I'm not really a fan of either one, but if I could create scenes half as good as yours, I would change my mind in a hurry.

Welcome back...
Joan

Joan
Always a pleasure to see you my dear
First things 1st your tea

Such glowing praise - thank you but I really don't deserve it $%Grinno$%
( Well I do really  :D- but I didn't want to sound too egotisical ::) $%Grinno$% $%Grinno$%)
Personally my weakest points are the industrial areas but I get so many ideas from other MDer's
that at last they are starting to be worth showing but still a long way to go till the look good to me
and I'm my own harshest critique at times ::)

Quote from: thundercrack83 on February 22, 2009, 10:28:55 PM
Outstanding work here, Derry!

The farms are just spectacular and your industries look very realistic--I'll be referencing them next time I head into the game to make some industrial areas, you can bet on that one!

Hope all is well with you, my friend!

Dustin

Dustin
thanks as always for popping by and with such nice comments too. Gee I must be doing something right if you gonna use my Ind areas
for when you build yours  :D :D( see answer to Joan above^^ ;D)

Quote from: art128 on February 23, 2009, 01:30:54 AM
What ?! only 5 pictures ?  $%Grinno$% As well Derry, these pictures are just fantastic, you've done an excellent work here my friend, the area with the EL-Train (even if we can name that a train  :o :o ) is very nice and pleasant. &apls
the industrial sector looks excellent there too, great choice of industry, even if they are a bit repetitive...
As well, my favorite part rest the farms land, very great and calm, a pure pleasure to my eyes to see that.  ()stsfd()

Arthur. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Arthur
My apologies for only 5 pics ;)  Lots to do in the region so lots more pics and I didn't want to overload the servers by uploading them all at once  $%Grinno$% and anyway they were the only ones worth showing  :D :D :D
great comment as always thank you.

Quote from: bat on February 23, 2009, 07:25:04 AM
Wonderful industrial area there! Nice work on these five pictures!! :thumbsup:

Cheers bat - Glad you like what you saw :thumbsup:

Quote from: Simpson on February 26, 2009, 12:02:12 PM
Hi Derry !  :)
As well this update is fantastic, my friend. The industry area is looking incredible.
My preferate picture is the first one  :thumbsup:.
Only one thing: I think, the Bat with green lights, on the second picture, is maybe a bit strange, no?

I'm looking forward to the next update  ::)

Take care,

David

Thanks David
Glad you liked the pics my friend :thumbsup:. The green thing is the B.O.R.G. Entertainment Cube and I was looking for something different to place there and its not something you see very often and I thought why not ::). That area I hope will become a leisure area in the heart of downtown, just got to find other suitable stuff to fit in all around that area :D

Quote from: Gaston on February 26, 2009, 01:04:58 PM
Hey there Derry,
    I love the pics in the update.    You have to tell me what the heck kinda el train is that.    I've never seen one like that before.

Guess I wasn't the only one who wants to use that train.    lol 

---Gaston

Gaston
Thanks for stopping by.
yes I thought that EL Train would get peoples attention. As I said in my pm more on that to follow and its just following on after the replies.

Quote from: Pat on February 28, 2009, 11:15:15 PM
Derry I loved this update and BTW what in the world was that train system there?? Very intresting and well satisfied  :satisfied:

Cheers Matey
Glad you liked what you saw and as for your question not long to go to find out more on that.

Quote from: catty on March 01, 2009, 01:46:10 AM
That train line looks stunning at night and ditto on the where did you get it?

love the flowers in the field and that "entertainment center" looks like UFO all green and glowing.  :) 

Thanks you Catty.
You aren't the only one whose attention was caught by that train too now was it? not long now till you find out ::)
The B.O.R.G. cube does look great at night especially with Gizmo's DayNight mod :thumbsup:

Quote from: Battlecat on March 02, 2009, 02:33:04 PM
Fantastic work.  All the pictures look great, but I must admit a weakness for the first one, that's a lovely rural shot.  Which farm is the one with the flowers? 

Cheers Battlecat.
Thanks for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it.
Glad what you like see and yes rural areas are one of my favs too and something I like to do. lots more of that sort of stuff to come so pop back sometime and hopefully you'll see more.
As to your question - I'll have to fire up that tile and do a query for you, remind me (gently) if I forget :D :D

Now for an

Now it seems I caused quite a stir (No Tea related pun intended $%Grinno$%) when I posted this pic

It seems that a lot of people were interested in it ::)
Well let me tell you a little bit about it or as much as I know anyhow.

A couple of years ago when I first discovered after a lot of trail and error what links to click on to download from Japanese sites
I went on a mad DL'ing spree and got everything I could lay my furry little paws on at the time. Backed it all up on a dvd.
Then misplaced it during a move. I was gutted as I had rebuilt my pc in the meantime also and had reformatted the hdd so
I thought i had lost it all.

Tidying up a bit one day I found that disk again and lo and behold I found a few beauties stashed away.

One of them being this Elevated train line. Others to be seen at a later date :thumbsup:

Now I'm sorry to say I can't tell where I got it - I can't remember only it was from a Japanese site

I believe the Author is ATEX but then again I cant be sure as that was the name on the zip.

There was no read me included so no way to give credit where credit is due.

If anybody does know please feel free to fill in the blanks :thumbsup:

Here is a region pic of the area that will be covered by the ATEX.

ATEX - Aerial Tube EXpress

ATEX - Across Town EXpress

Which sounds best? you decide or come up with a better one :thumbsup:

Anyhow on with the show
Origionally all the pieces were landmarks only but I did a little bit of work on them in the reader so they
would appear grouped together in the landmark menu  :)
and created a menu hider for them too for when I don't want to see them $%Grinno$%

Ok there are 2 stations only

so these I wanted to be functional as tube/subway and appear in the misc transport menu.
I gave them a capacity of 10,000 sims and so far in my tests they have performed fine.

There are 3 straight sections and 2 small connector pieces for those awkward gaps ;)
as can be seen above.

Curved sections left and right. No ground curves available  $%Grinno$%
Also no diagonal sections either. And they only make very large diameter curves &mmm

Now the special sections.
1 The stack is one of the hardest pieces to use. I still haven't managed to use it in a way that it looks good due to the fact its so difficult to get the tracks to align. If I find a way I'll let you all know :thumbsup:
2 the divider - splits the track
3 self explanatory
4 Self explanatory
5 Connector Abyss - This is an overhanging prop that needs careful and precise terraforming to make it look right.
I can't tell you exactly how much this is as its dependent on your terrain and is something done by trial and error more than anything.

here we see that it is functional

and showing a more regional shot of it in action. As you can see I tried to lay the subway along the general route the route takes so that at least it appears on the route query.

The Sim who has been assimilated lives the furthest away as per the route query on the cube.
Yah I must be doing summat right on the public transport system ::) :D

One other thing about these is that they must be placed on terrain that's exactly the same height for the whole route.
you cannot have a variance of even .1m as it will show up as a huge glitch when the sections join together. And be very careful in terraform close to them once they have been placed too. still haven't figured out how to solve that yet but I will. ;)

So there you go for the moment for this update. Hope I answered some of your questions. If not lemme know okay :thumbsup:

till the next time,
:satisfied:
TTC

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"

thundercrack83

Wow, Derry! Wow!

I've never seen anything like this before, my friend! So futuristic, yet still really realistic! Every time I stop in here, I'm amazed it what you have to show us!

Excellent work, as always, my friend! Excellent work!

Dustin

Pat

Derry what can I say that Dustin didn't???  Ain't it soo cool to know when you have learned something and put it to use and it works ain't that the best feeling??? I know for me it is!!! I am excited for you that you got the ATEX working for you and hope you can find the original so maybe a release could be imminent  ;)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Sciurus

The ATEX is very futurist, and it looks like odd &mmm Excuse, but I don't really like future and its progress, I prefer city, which are in present, and which go near reality, you know. But I hpe you know control this, and if you can, I think it'll be very good ;)

Guillaume :thumbsup:
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

TheTeaCat

Quote from: Pat on March 14, 2009, 09:16:21 PM
Derry what can I say that Dustin didn't???  Ain't it soo cool to know when you have learned something and put it to use and it works ain't that the best feeling??? I know for me it is!!! I am excited for you that you got the ATEX working for you and hope you can find the original so maybe a release could be imminent  ;)

As you know Pat its a serious breach of etiquette to upload other creators models without their permission, and as i have no way of knowing who the author is, or anyway of contacting them, then I don't see a release being possible.

Unless anyone else knows whose creation this is or could help with any additional info on it it'd be great.

Laters folks
Derry