• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deathtopumpkins

Brrr David... but suprisingly its colder here today. Currently 32 F, but around midday it was only 30.

Oh, and Happy Birthday SC4!  ;D
NAM Team Member | 3RR Collaborater | Virgin Shores

Albus of Garaway

Happy Birthday SimCity 4!

I have a quick, completely unrelated question that has nothing to do with any discussion here at 3RR lately: &mmm

What sidewalk mod do you use? I've been trying to decide what I should use for my American themed region. At first I just assumed the regular Maxis textures would work fine, but for some reason my memory insists that they are shockingly white in the game. I need to study them next time I'm playing. Thanks for any help you can offer!

:)

EDITMy friend, actually I use a little mod I made a while back that, by and large, eliminates sidewalks (and the "street furniture" on them) as much as possible.  As 3RR for the past year plus has been focused on the non-urban end of things, I don't want sidewalks intruding into where they shouldn't be found.  Careful placement of stuff, and a significant use of ploppables, accomplishes the rest.  I am going to have to confront the sidewalk demon when I do something less rural (I really, really do not like the "game" sidewalks), but I'm not at that bridge yet. -DE

Shiftred

I still have Sim City Classic somewhere on a big floppy disc. (5 1/4" ?)  I remember playing it and Oregon Trail  in elementary school.

I think I will have an imminent celebration ;D

Ryan B.

Happy Birthday, SimCity!  :party:

David, thank you for all your hard work that went into the new NAM.  As soon as I get home from hockey tonight, I'm downloading it and playing with it.  :D

girlfromverona

Only 6 years! Sheesh. I have to say it feels longer than that. Mind you, I have been playing SimCity pretty much since it's very first inception... 20 years ago, you say? I feel old.

Oh yes, today is definitely a day to celebrate!!!  &dance

Gaston

It is warmer in Alaska than it is here in Iowa.     Currently -4F.            $%Grinno$%

Based on David's chart that's a wind chill of -35F     ???

---Al
白龍

They say that the memory is the second thing that goes....
...dang , I wish I could remember the first.
WooHoo made Councilman - 05 FEB 07 Yipee made Mayor - 13 MAR 07 Hip Hip Hooray made Governor - 04 AUG 07 Rock On made Senator - 15 MAR 09

allan_kuan1992

Someone should have remembered this date...

I believe it's not a coincidence that the NAM, RHW, FARR, FAR, and STR were released today =O

- Allan Kuan

EDITWell, the STR is a bit further down the road, my friend.  But, because of the groundwork we laid in the NAM release, it'll be plug'n play. -DE

j-dub

Wow 6 years. I remember when I used to play Simcity on the computer where it didn't even need a disc, because then it somehow got into the computer's memory no problem, that game wasn't as detailed as now, but neither was PC security. My memory of previous SC games are literally gone. The one, the building where I played it at was demolished last year, and the other I sold it off when fell for four. Didn't fall for Societies or Creator afterward though. Regardless Happy B-day SC4! And David if your serious about confronting the sidewalk demon, best of luck if you can come up with a better visual solution. I don't use Maxis' default sidewalk either. Your additions so FARR we couldn't have done without.

sithlrd98

Quote from: Shiftred on January 14, 2009, 04:57:57 PM
I still have Sim City Classic somewhere on a big floppy disc. (5 1/4" ?)  I remember playing it and Oregon Trail  in elementary school.

Holy crap , I thought I was the only other person on this planet that remembers that game! Of course I never was that good ...everybody in my party seemed to die ,including the livestock! But hey , it was elementary.

Jayson

EDITMy folks always ate the livestock, then died, Jayson.  OT was a lot of fun, but taught you a lot about dealing with frustration. -DE

Haljackey

I got started with this one:

(You can download this on the Wii now!)

Still, 20 years is quite a feat.  Its amazing to believe how SC4 is still the best city simulator out there, 6 years and counting.

Best,
-Haljackey

metarvo

Oh, my, that really takes me back.  I remember how I was so amazed at what I thought was a detailed city simulator.  Once in a while, I pick up my old copy and play it.  I've already seen some great things today, and this visit to 3RR confirms that there may have been some significance to this wonderful date.  :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Pat

LoL Hal you and me both there!!!! If it wasnt for SNES I would have never fallen in love with SC!!! Happy Birthday to the best GAME ever!!! Heres to another 6 years of the most sales and user friendly communities!!!

BTW here is what we are looking at live for weather lol...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dedgren

Heh!

Ex-imminent is more like it...

I knew that there was something about today.

It was, it was, it was... let's see...

Matt's Birthday!

Yep, our old friend threestooges.

Remember this avatar, Matt? 

It's the one you showed up in 3RR-ST with, way-way back in 2006.  Back when you were still working on getting into law school, my friend.

Over here, we've honored you as a past contest winner [linkie],

3RR Fact Checker,

and Double-0 Club member [linkie].

And then somehow, once you arrived at law school, you found the time to return the favor 100 times over.

You started to BAT.  First it was center pivot irrigation equipment, windmills and cattle guards.

Then it was signs and telephone poles.

Most recently, Matt has been creating great STR bridges.

3RR is about the luckiest place in the world- we not only have great friends there- we have extraordinarily talented friends.

Matt just recently matched all the 2009 3RR "One Comment Club" avatars with their nics [linkie].  I guess my question is: how does he find the time to do law school and all of this at the same time?  Beats me- about the only thing extracurricular that I did when I was in law school was drive to and from home to classes.  Oh, and eat and sleep.

So, my talented friend, again- Happy Birthday.  One that you share with our favorite game and now with...

...that last thing that happened on this really fine day...

...the release of the January '09 NAM [linkie].  All in all, one to remember.

Many happy returns, Matt!

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

girlfromverona

Hope you have a fantabulous day, Matt! Your creations have found a very happy home on my hard drive, and I look forward to seeing what you come up with in the future.  :thumbsup:

threestooges

David... I don't know what to say. Thank you. I do remember that avatar and I have that picture framed (still have to put it up since I moved). As for works during law school... I'm not sure myself... I think it's a mix of not sleeping, needed to do something outside of the reading and, in the odd case, actively trying to avoid certain reading. I enjoy the law school experience, and the reading is pretty interesting most of the time, but it's just perpetual. But what can I say? BATting's fun, it's relaxing, and it feels good to see what people can do with it. Just the ability and the opportunity to create something, and the learning process of it all. Ah well, I should probably quit yammering on and get back to work, but before I do, let me just say that it is because of people like you (and the members of this site and community) that have encouraged me to keep at this. For that, I thank you.
-Matt

FrankU

Let me join in!

A Happy Birthday to, well... to whom? I guess to Will Wright in the first place.
I remember a friend of mine showed me Sim City. Some of you would call it Sim City classic, I just call it Sim City. I was a student of architecture these days. While struggling with my own designs I eased my frustrations by bulldozing badly developed areas in Sim City or shooting away in Wolfenstein. Days that were stretched so long that they ended not earlier than the moment I found out that sunrise was there already.
Then followed Simcity2000. Which was really an improvement.
It's a pity that I cannot get it to work anymore on my contemporary PC. Something with memory...

Some time ago I found secondhand CD with Simcity 3000. My collector's mind made a small jump, but I didn't buy it. I had SC4 already.

And a happy birthday to all of you on the other end of this message! Without this community the game would be less fun, really!
The game and the community have all properties for long time fun:

It is a game
- where I can build my own personal paradise
- where nobody complains if i demolish a forest
- where nobody cries out if I build a highway or demolis a neighbourhood
- where I can select the appropriate architecture myself
- where I can terraform my own world
- where I can build my own game content

it is a community of friends that
- that do not drink my booze
- that do not fumble around with my girlfriend (wife, actually, these days)
- that do not abduct my daughter (hey she's four years old! Get off!)
- that do help me with serious problems
- that understand me when I cry out loud about CTD's and other crashes
- that give me presents almost every week
- that do not ask for a loan (just a small donation sometimes)
- that make my jaw fall down with their fantastic products
- that will never ever slap me in the face
- and that let me cry on their digital shoulders when everything is turning into a mess

frdrcklim

Truly a special day indeed ;D.
300... 200... 100... 50... 40... 30... 20... 10

Yep, I still got it.

debutterfly

hey david...Why weren't Rural Roads and SLR not in this current NAM Release.  ()what() Will they be added as a separate entity. Anyway, I can't wait to actually play the game with the new NAM and RHW.  :D Happy post-RHW Day!!! And thanks to all of the great work of the NAM team.  &apls

-Larry (debutterfly)

EDIT:  Larry, the Rural Roads & STR will be released later.  They will be fully compatible with the January '09 NAM.  I believe the phrase David used was 'plug & play'.  -Ryan

EDITThanks, Ryan- you are exactly correct.  I'll likely have the Rural Roads out over the weekend (hint- if you have the last beta file I distributed, just put it in your NAM plugins folder.  You'll have everything but the readme).  The STR is really close- we deliberately put work on it aside to focus on yesterday's NAM release.  The last default pieces will probably be completed over the weekend- that will give us a complete set to look at from top to bottom.  The NAM is basically ready for the STR, so it won't be a matter of waiting for the next release- we will be able to do an update.  I appreciate the great post, Larry. -DE

jestarr

About the weather;  it hurt my feelings, considerably, when I heard this morning that the current temperature in Fairbanks was the same as it was on my back porch.  :D

bob56

RIght now in Cedar Rapids IA, it is 29F below, wind chill is 50F below...School is cancelled, so im here. I cant believe everything thats happened at SC4D this week!!1 Great job!
You can call me Grif

--Currently out of the office, will resume SC4 7/19