• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

Back in the very early days of SC4D, the Mayors' Diary section had a true star among the seven or eight legendary MDs that filled its ranks at the time.  It received tons of views and comments and was avidly followed by its readers.  That MD, of course, was Terraforming Teton and its author is our excellent Manitoban friend Phil (pvarcoe).  I note that TT, as everyone called it, is well worth a read today, and can be found among our archives here [linkie].

What most folks don't know, though, is that Phil's work in TT was the original inspiration for the work I started in the spring of 2007 that ultimately became the wide radius road curves and the FAR, and by extension to the wide rail curves* and the FARR.  I can even point the the post that I was reading when the notion of wide road curves first came to mind.  It was this one, and I present it here in all its original glory (hope you don't mind, Phil- I don't think its right that this doesn't doesn't get seen these days all that much).

n.b.There are were some broken pics here.  It looks like an ImageShack problem, and that's kind of scary because I have over 5,000 pics on it.  Phil, if you still have these, I'd be glad to help restore them.  I hope there was just a temporary glitch- they finally loaded late last night.  These are now preserved for the ages, as I archive to DVD every 3RR page as they fill up.

[tabular type=1]
[row] [head]Pictures and descriptions

State Highway 22 runs from Jackson,around the lake and up through Teton Pass.
Our map of the southern third of Teton region shows the route of highway 22 as it heads west (up).

David and others wondered as to the elevation gain, grade, distance, etc about Teton Pass. As Livin in Sim pointed out, the climb basically begins at the small town of Wilson. From Wilson to the pass itself is about 15 kilometers or just under 10 miles. Now the actual elevation of that starting point is around 1850 meters above sea level (about 100 meters above my lake level or about 6000 ft above sea level).

The climb peaks at the pass with an elevation gain of about 1000 meters from Wilson, over 1100 meters from the lake.

The real life Highway follows closely to the path I took. The one major deviation was a switchback below the observation area. Other than that it is pretty close. I have of course taken some creative licence with the buildings at the pass itself :)

Here's a overview shot tracing the highway's route from Wilson up and over the pass.

Moving in a little we can see in the next few shots how the highway runs along the back of the first peak, then jumps across at the shoulder, and continues back along the second and larger mountain.

The steep grade in places means having to reinforce the raod in spots. Maximum speed - about 20 miles per hour.

The snowcapped Glory Mount looms aver the valley and highway. The highway cuts across the face of the mountain in an area known as Glory Slide.

Slowly the road winds up the face till it reaches the snowline (late sping snowline, in the winter it's snow all over)

As we aproach the top of the pass we come to a lookout facing east.
From here we can see clear back to Jackson.

Livin in Sim has provided us with this wonderful shot of the actual lookout.
This shot prompted me to change the position of the parking.
Originally I had it on the inside of the corner, but have moved it to the outside, as in the "real" screenshot. Thanks Liv!

Our final shot of the Teton Pass update is the pass itself.
A ranger station sits at the crest of the pass, across from the communications tower.
Not many miles west beyond this point, the highway was blocked by extensive slides cause by global warming.

Thanks to all for checking out Teton![/head] [/row]
[/tabular]

I looked at those pics and I wanted smooth curves down that mountainside so bad I could taste it.  Within a couple of weeks I cranked this out while I was waiting for a snow-delayed airplane flight.

Within a day or two I figured out vector graphics were the way to go.  A thread was started to discuss wide radius road curves [linkie], and our great friend Alex (Tarkus) made comment #1, suggesting we might be able to make the curves into puzzle pieces.  The rest, as they say, is history.  Wide curves made it into the NAM in record time, the FAR curves followed early this year, and now we're working on extensions that you can only imagine.

And all because of Phil, and Transforming Teton.

Right about that time, which was back when 10,000 page views didn't happen twice a month, Phil turned up as page view number 10,000.

So we named a little town on the northern border of 3RR after him and made a sign.

Here's Pvarcoe on the map...

...and here's its Gazetteer entry.

• Pvarcoe (City - NE Quad Granite Twp - lat. 49° 16' 17" N / lon. 95° 15' 37" W - elev. 883 ft/269 m amsl.)  Pvarcoe is a charter city located just south of 3RR's border with Canada.  It lies in a low saddle between the foothills of the western Northern Range and the Lexington Hills.  It derives its name from an original station established on the Duluth, Winnipeg & Western ("DW&W") railroad line when it was constructed through the area in 1871; the origin of the name Pvarcoe itself is unknown.  Population (2007 est.): 10,000.  Local Government:  Mayor, 5 member City Council.  Police and Fire:  Regional Trooper Post #4, Rural Fire Service Station #17.  Medical Services:  Small not-for-profit hospital and associated clinic, privately run open to public emergency care facility.  Postal Service:  City Postal Station #18.  Postal Code: A018.  Air Service:  General aviation, runway length 3,800 ft/1,160 m paved.  Rail Service:  Passenger, freight.  History and General Information:  The farthest north reaches of Three Rivers Region were not known to be permanently inhabited until the 1860s, when a few hardy settlers homesteaded the area after building a rude corduroy road from the eastern end of Upper Taylor Lake.  The area and the low pass through the Northern Range just over the border into Canada were determined by an 1870 surveying party to be the best route north of Pineshore for the DW&W RR line to Winnipeg, and rails reached the place that has become the city from Pineshore in September, 1871.  When construction halted there for the season, a station and construction camp called Pvarcoe Station was established.  By 1890, the area's population had grown to the requisite 500 inhabitants needed to apply for a city charter, and one was granted on August 1, 1891.  Due to its relative isolation, in that roads (the corduroy road was quickly abandoned after the railroad was built) did not reach the area until 1919, Pvarcoe developed more or less on its own, and today benefits from the wealth of historic buildings in its downtown dating from the turn of the 20th century.  The city also developed as a service and supply area for local mines located in the Lexington Hills and mountains to the west.  A small deposit of upsidaisium was discovered on the northern slopes of Mount Zelo, just west of Pvarcoe, in 1928, creating a short-lived boom during which the city's population swelled to twice its current size of 10,000.  A 3RR customs office was established in Pvarcoe in 1938.  During the latter half of the 20th century, the city's population and its fortunes remained relatively stable.  It is one of the most attractive small cities in the region, and has begun to attract a growing number of bed and breakfast operations and business supporting the steady stream of backpackers and other outdoor enthusiasts who have "discovered" Pvarcoe.  A large ski area and lodge development is proposed on the eastern slopes of Mount Zelo, but the controversy over whether this represents acceptable development has held up permitting for almost 10 years and, to some degree, polarized the community into ski area supporters and "aginners."  Many now doubt the area will ever be built, and especially given the region's current freeze on new economic development revenue sharing.  The "Deux Tetons Climate Change Research Facility" was sited and built just southwest of the city at the base of the mountains of the same name as a joint US/Canada/3RR project, commencing operations in 1997.  The facility has become both a major employer and contributor to the city's economy.  A community campus of 3RR University is also located in Pvarcoe, with 950 students in full-time attendance.

We've never, though, until now, acknowledged Phil's huge contribution to the way we all play the game today.  So, to correct that, I gathered a few pics from Pvarcoe to give everyone a better idea of what a nice little place this is.

Entering Pvarcoe along R-5 from the south, it doesn't look much different from most of the other northern 3RR localities.  One gets a sense that there aren't many folks who lock their doors at night here.

The warm days of summer can lull the unwary into a false sense of security about the area- Pvarcoe is the Snow Capital of the region, often getting over 120 inches/350 cm of snow accumulation over the course of a winter.

The business district is reached fairly quickly.  The substantial brick buildings in the central business district, most over 100 years old, bear their age well.

When R-5 reaches the DW&W tracks at the center of Pvarcoe, it makes a left turn onto Main Street- the border is less than a mile away.

More well-preserved historic buildings line Main Street.

The site of the old depot is reached next.  Unfortunately, this historic building burned to the ground in 1992, and it has not been replaced.

The DW&W in these parts has certainly seen busier days.

Looking back, the northern city limits of Pvarcoe marks the last built up area along R-5 before the Canadian border.

R-5 takes on the look of a country lane along this stretch.

To the south, the peaks of the Northern Range beckon.

The last of the curves negotiated...

...the border is reached.  There is not another town after Pvarcoe in Manitoba for another 50 miles/80 kilometers.

So, Phil- there you have it.  Thank you so much for both TT and that inspiration.  We'd love to see you rejoin the MDing ranks!

Later.

David

*  I must note that the predecessor to the current 45 degree wide rail curve first appeared in the NAM release of January, 2007.  I can take no credit for that, and am in (as we all are) the substantial debt of the Transport God that made that particular contribution.

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Pat

Hey David taking a trip threw TT I found this wonderful post oooo so little was know lol....

Quotededgren         Re: Terraforming Teton
« Reply #86 on: January 25, 2007, 10:52:18 AM »   

Rail along the lake and through the mountains...I've died and gone to heaven.

Makes one wish we had single track rail available.  It would be a huge undertaking (new bridges from scratch, all the crossings and such), but imagine a lone rail line snaking through the same area.

Ahhh, we can all dream...

Great work!

I was trying to see if I posted in TT but my search stopped when I saw that one!! But alas I did see at least I did leave a comment in TT but not before it was closed siiiiiigh... I do hope one day that Phil would pick up TT again...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Simpson

Incredible  :o
The nature is perfect and the street is just fabulous  &apls
Great work my friend  &apls &apls
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

art128

Wow David , That's incredible  &apls &apls awesome work  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

metarvo

It's a pity that TT is closed down, but I suppose I didn't know what I had until it was gone.  You did say that it was in the MD Archives, though, so I may give it a look.  Although I really owe Phil the credit for originally creating those photos, I must applaud you for bringing them to us, David.  Furthermore, I am quite pleased with our tour through Pvarcoe.  Again, you have managed to capture the beauty of 3RR.

&apls

EDIT: A Double-0?  You were just dying to do it, weren't you, David?
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

sithlrd98

That is a very nice tribute David! I never checked TT out before today , and although this is 3RR,I am puzzled at what happened to TT? There seems to be nothing past last year. I can see why it was inspiring!

Jayson

EDITI think RL nabbed our friend Phil, Jayson.  It gets us all, sooner or later- nobody's immune.  That's why I've been trying to crank unfinished stuff and odds and ends out here lately.  You just never know. -DE

papab2000

Excellent  &apls  This region is fantastic.  :thumbsup:

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Visit my mapping thread: linkie
Post pic's of your NHP Mapped Regions linkie

dedgren

I cannot believe that I "Double-0'd" myself.

...yep- post #5300...

Sheesh- I must have really been out of it last night.

The honors I'll give to Phil (pvarcoe), who should have been in the club a long time ago.

We're working on a new work-in-process pre-alpha of the STR today.

Might be some interesting things to see around here later this evening.  Have a great Sunday, everyone!

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

TheTeaCat

Wow Looks real good :thumbsup:

Well if you are going to tease  ;)
why not - well when you do it so well  :D :D

:satisfied:
TTC
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Grneyes

I have to say that things are looking pretty awesome in 3RR. There is so much new stuff we could never run out of different type cities, regions, or anything...

MaryBeth

Pat

gaaaaaasp David that is stunning!!!  Not only have you Double 00 yourself but I see a new shiny badge on you too so of course you need a

&apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls &apls
for that Double 00 and Also becoming a NAMmer!!!! who'd dunk it  ;)

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

inspecter

Hmmmm looks like a new bridge I see nothing modified.

ejc

I think I will stick with SC4 for some years... Now I know it for sure!

Thanks for this extraordinary MODDing and Testing of the original Maxis-files, it's just great!

&apls

E

gardenwong

There are how many STR<->MAXIS rail pieces? ()what()
俺がã,¬ãƒ³ãƒ€ãƒ ã wwwwww

art128

great work on that bridge David  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

bat

Wonderful picture of that bridge and nice work on it, David!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And I also congrats you for posting the 5300th post of 3RR and for becoming a NAMer, David!!!!! &apls &apls &apls

pvarcoe

That was a wonderful tribute to TT.
Thank you very much David, and thanks to everyone for all the kind comments.

Phil

EDITPhil, you're welcome, but the recognition was long overdue.  Thanks so much for continuing to be a part of 3RR. -DE

thundercrack83

What a great tribute to Terraforming Teton, David--those were the days, weren't they?

Thanks for reminding me, and showing for the first time a lot of our newcomers, one of the greatest works SC4D has had the pleasure of hosting.

And of course, your magnificent work with the STR continues!

Dustin

threestooges

Hello there Phil. Considering the occasion, I'd also like to thank you for your work on TT. It was a great MD to follow; it had a good story and great pics.

metarvo

At least you are still around, Phil.  It's good to see you, and I must congratulate you for being awarded this very special honor.
&apls

Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.