• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Three Rivers Region

Started by dedgren, December 20, 2006, 07:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonshardz

So will the RealRoads be a complete retexture of the roads (i.e., you put it in your plugins and all your roads are automatically correctly scaled) or will we have to manually place these as puzzle pieces?

I'm voting for complete auto-retexture. I like these RealRoads much better.

Of course, we could have manual placement as an option.

WC_EEND

What I am wondering is wether there is going to be a European retexture of these RealRoads
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

dedgren

I'm leaning toward making the "wide shoulder" RealRoad the default option, and doing the "no shoulder" variant you've seen as a SAM V4 set.  The same scheme would go for the Euro textures.

Make no mistake, folks, to completely integrate RealRoads is a big job.  That said, I think it is well worth it.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

io_bg

Wow those roads look awesome!!! &apls
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Battlecat

Wow, now that's an ambitious project, but one that I can get fully behind!  But man, you are right about it being a huge quantity of work to create these real roads! 

Based on the all the work you've been doing to date with the game textures, you'll have the following texture sets to rework:

Default game textures (including all the ones you tweaked recently)
FAR Roads
Wide Radius Curves
Plus any texture relating to the interface between other road types (SAM, etc).

Also, there's the NAM elevated puzzle pieces as well, although I'm not sure where these textures are actually pulled from. 

Hmmm, you've set yourself quite the workload here, once again although it appears you've already accomplished the creation of an impressive number of the textures based on your demonstration shots.  Is there anything that I can do to help with this project?

EDITConsider yourself, my friend, a charter member of the Road/Rail Retexture Group (R3G).  More info shortly.  Thanks in advance for lending your considerable talents to the effort. -DE

Dexter

I've been following 3RR for over a year now, but this is the first time I have posted, and I must say that all the work that's been done is amazing, making the game much more realistic. I always thought that the scales were a bit wacky, with some houses being the same size a a car  ???.

That brings me to the question, Is the games automata to the correct scale? I thought it looked a bit on the large side, and would look better smaller, as at the moment cars barely have room to pass on streets.

Also, are the RealRoads going to replace the default roads, or work like SAM (or should I say RD-AM  :D)?

EDITDexter, thanks for a great first post, and welcome to the 3RR Regulars (folks who have posted here, at 3RR-ST, or in The 3RR Blog at ST, at least once).  The scale of BAT objects and automata is all over the map.  I just pretty much screen anything that grows and, if it looks off, out it goes.  I don't know if it would be possible to redo the size of the various automata items, which, with respect to vehicles, are frequently too large.  Sims are always oversize- I bet they have a great Sim basketball league.  As for the RealRoads, both! -DE
Why does one park on a driveway, and drive on a parkway?

dragonshardz

I can tell you this much, if they are just a texture override that is to work like the SAM it will not be draggable, it will be all puzzle pieces like the rural roads.

I have this feeling that they will be a full NAM-compatible road retexture though.

EDITMy intent is to have the RealRoads be draggable in the same sense as the "game" roads and the various current SAM sets (through the use of starter pieces).  These would be augmented, as at current, by wide curves, FAR, and specialty intersection and rail level crossing puzzle-pieces. -DE

sithlrd98

Quote from: dedgren on August 10, 2009, 10:39:00 PM
I can see I'm holding things up here...

In all seriousness, I need to apologize here to my great friend Jayson (sithlrd98).  Folks, this guy is probably the single thing that's keeping my wildly undisciplined self on the straight and narrow in terms of getting a couple of things done.  He's held my feet to the fire with respect to several key aspects of the road and rail retexture initiatives.  I keep sending him responses to his PMs saying variations on the same thing: "soon."  Well, Jayson, my talented friend, soon is just about here, almost, shortly.  Let's take one of those steps this evening.

Hey, I just like how creative you are with these projects , and also know just how busy you are...don't want you to forget! Ever since I started doing those WRC sidewalk mods , I've been hooked with transit modding. I don't have as much knowledge as the rest , but I learn a little everyday. Some people can look at what you and the NAM team do and pick it up very quickly , I am not one of those people  ;D . So if you keep doing what you do , I have an opportunity to learn just that much more! And we can all benefit with some excellent additions...win/win!

QuoteThis is a RealRoad.

Yes it is!!!!! This is the best looking upgrade to be added in a long time! I didn't think the roads could look any better after your first re-texture...I love being wrong...sometimes  :P

QuoteBefore I move on, I need to also note the incredible contribution of Stephen (smoncrie) with, among other things, his MORPH Curves.  They perfect, to a large degree, the puzzle-piece approach to smooth curves.  Our great friend Stephen has made huge, but quiet, contributions to this game over the years.  He is one of the unsung heroes of the SC4 transit MODding community, and a really nice guy to boot.

I second that! He has answered some of my "noobish" questions and didn't make me feel as stupid as I think I am with some of these aspects.This is definitely a jaw dropping technique!

I hope everything goes well with Josh , and we'll be here when you get back! Good luck!

Jayson

EDITThanks for the kind words, Jayson.  We'll be setting up that "Road/Rail Retexturing Group" (R3G) thread we discussed shortly. -DE

ldvger

David, as you know, I have been a constant complainer about scale issues in this game and it's good to see folks like you (and everyone else, too!) working to tweak things into a more realistic scale. 

Great work on the RealRoads!  I am already making a mental list of variants: dirt roads, gravel roads, single lane roads (lanes?).  The task you take upon yourself is daunting and I wonder what happens to 3RR itself while you follow this track to it's conclusion.  I myself think I am also about to experience a major sidetrack with my region, so I fully understand. 

Really, though, this ability to play and follow our creative impulses wherever they may lead us is the major draw to this game, don't you think?  It's not just about building cities or regions...in some ways it's a Pandora's Box that, once opened, cannot be closed.  And so Will Wright's statment that this is a more of a software toy rather than an actual game is so very true. 

The time is approaching when I, too, am going to have to peer a little further into the toolbox and start playing with the things there.  My own project, Recreating San Francisco, is going to necessitate a lot of custom content and as much as there is a lot out there already, I have already cruides around looking for something just exactly right and not found it.  Right now it's a terrain mod, and I have no clue how to create one of my own.  Next it will be a tree controller.  Then a water mod, then a plop water.  After that it will be transportation networks: road and rail and airports and seaports and avenues and freeways and interchanges.  Then it will be buildings.  It's a little overwhelming to think about sometimes and some of my friends, when I explain the scope of what I plan, just shake thier heads.  They just don't get it. 

Sometimes I'm not totally sure I do, either...but I keep playing!

Lora/LD

EDITLora, as for terrain mods, they are complex, but very interesting to implement, and if you are comfortable with Excel, once you get the hang, it's just a matter of drawing the textures you want.  Brian (c.p./cycledogg), Adam (Ennedi) and Silvio (Rayden) are the go-to folks if you have any questions.  In general, once you've mastered creating some kind of custom content, it's very hard to stop at that- the temptation to indulge "what if" impulses just becomes overpowering.  Good luck!  Oh, and RSF is fascinating so far (note to self- stop lurking!) -DE

adroman

My god, do they look great!
  &apls
Fantastic work dedgren!
can't wait to try them out...

EDITThanks, my friend! -DE
737s, Air Force, Australia... what next?

dedgren

I'm sitting at Anchorage International Airport at a little after midnight with several thousand other folks who have decided for some reason to flee the state tonight.  I'll be in Salt Lake City, Utah in about four hours, then on to Helena, Montana for the 12th and last time in two years.  I'd post a pic or two, but for some reason I checked my card reader in my checked baggage this evening.  Ahh, well... there's always tomorrow.

It's as good a time as any to note that we have already racked up our 10,000th page view for the month (373,400) as we head into the 12th.  It looks like 25K views is a lock by the end of the month.  I don't know what could be more gratifying- knowing that, whenever I fire up 3RR, a few hundred more friends have passed through.  That's why working on stuff like the RealRoads is such a pleasure- it's great to be able to give a little bit back.

I bought a Sony PRS-505 ebook reader [linkie] a month or so ago.  A local store had a special, and I'm the kind of guy who always has the bedside table stacked with the 10 or 12 things I'm reading at any given time.  I've loaded it up with lots of copyright-free stuff- anything by Twain, Hugo's Les Miserables, all the Sherlock Holmes stories, and a few I've purchased, notably Martin Cruz Smith's six Arkady Renko [linkie] novels (Gorky Park is the one most folks have heard of).  It takes a bit of getting used to, but I'm at the point now where I don't know how I ever got along without it, particularly when I am flying.  Anyone else have one of these, or a Kindle?  I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it.

More textures on the way tomorrow.  We're boarding...

Later.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Andreas

As usual, those new "RealRoad" textures look amazing. :) I'd tone down the white lines a tad, as they look a bit too white and new for my taste, but together with those shoulders, they're simply fantastic. For European roads, guide posts (marker posts, delineators - picture) would be appropriate. Kenworth has BATted one some time ago, unfortunately, it's very small in the game, so it should be rendered in HD - and naturally, someone would have to make T21s for it.  %confuso

Quote from: dedgren on August 12, 2009, 01:33:56 AM
[I bought a Sony PRS-505 ebook reader [linkie] a month or so ago.  A local store had a special, and I'm the kind of guy who always has the bedside table stacked with the 10 or 12 things I'm reading at any given time.  I've loaded it up with lots of copyright-free stuff- anything by Twain, Hugo's Les Miserables, all the Sherlock Holmes stories, and a few I've purchased, notably Martin Cruz Smith's six Arkady Renko [linkie] novels (Gorky Park is the one most folks have heard of).  It takes a bit of getting used to, but I'm at the point now where I don't know how I ever got along without it, particularly when I am flying.  Anyone else have one of these, or a Kindle?  I'd be interested in hearing what you think of it.

I do have a TabletPC since a few years (Acer Travelmate C102), and I love it. It's small enough that you can hold it like a book, and the screensize (10.2") is just right. I've been using it as ebook reader since then, mostly in bed. I also love its versatilty, since you can use it for browsing the web, sketching stuff and writing notes, and as regular notebook as well (office, presentations etc.). I can't use it for sophisticated graphics work or gaming, since it only has a Pentium III ULV with 800 MHz and 256 MB RAM (not upgradable), but that also means that it doesn't have a CPU cooling fan, which makes it very silent. I even thought of replacing the HD with a small solid state disk, which would make it completely noiseless.

EDITI've almost succumbed to the temptation to impulse purchase various tablet PCs I've seen while traveling around.  My trusty HP laptop can get to be like dragging around a battleship on a long trip.  I've managed to resist, thus far, but I really like the ones I've seen with sophisticated touch or stylus screen features.  I don't know, though- I've owned several digitizing pads and tablets (I bought a huge one, like 11"x18"/13.6 cm x 23, when I was doing my graduate thesis in the late 80s- I shudder when I recall what I paid for it) and have always found drawing directly to the screen more difficult than using a mouse.  Thanks, Andreas- you've piqued my interest in what's currently out there. -DE
Andreas

beutelschlurf

moin dedgren, moin everybody,

wow, that looks so good, ... it's allways nice to see new developments in here ...  :P
keep it up, mates!

b_schlurf

EDITMy friend, what is in that pan?  Some days, when I'm hungry, I'd love to try some.  Other days, like today after an all night flight from Anchorage, the thought of anything fried... hoo! -DE

dedgren

If it's Wednesday, this must be Salt Lake City.

...oops, was Salt Lake City.  Boarding...

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

choco

OT...

i just bought my boss a HP TouchSmart tx2......very nice i must say.  AMD Dual core 2.2Ghz (all the Intel chips were the crappy Atom CPU's), 3 GB RAM on Vista Business.....pretty quick for the price....$880 shipped to my dock.  :)

Andreas

Quote from: choco on August 12, 2009, 08:32:48 AM
$880 shipped to my dock.  :)

That's pretty cheap indeed - I just checked the prices here, and I can't find it anywhere for under 900 EUR - that's $1280! No wonder why nobody is buying TabletPCs here...  %wrd
Andreas

sithlrd98

EDITThanks for the kind words, Jayson.  We'll be setting up that "Road/Rail Retexturing Group" (R3G) thread we discussed shortly. -DE

Look forward to it! I have some wild ideas, so hopefully they can become a reality!

EDITConsider yourself, my friend, a charter member of the Road/Rail Retexture Group (R3G).  More info shortly.  Thanks in advance for lending your considerable talents to the effort. -DE

@Battlecat :Yes, I saw a few things in your MD that really caught my eye..really like the results you've implemented with for your curves!

Jayson

Battlecat

Thanks for the invitation to the team, I'm looking forward to being able to contribute back to the community!

@sithlrd98: Thanks for the vote of confidence!

dedgren

Well, it's noon, so this must be Helena.

Just letting you know I'm here- I'm off to a nap (the redeye was packed, and I had a middle seat- no rest for the wicked) until Joshua is available around three.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

carkid1998

Which wicked do you mean?

Awesome wicked, or evil wicked?? ::)

EDITRyan, I have my moments... -DE
Sendona... Coming soon!