• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nacar: The Diary of Misa Antacar -- Day 64: Heading Inland

Started by Leech10, March 03, 2010, 11:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leech10

Misa: Hello, my name is Misa Antacar, and I will be your guide though this... MD? Anyway, first up is an introduction.

Intro to Nacar:
Nacar ("New Land") is the story of Misa Antacar, a 5 year old Nacran Ancaron, who after crash-landing on an uncharted planet, finds himself in charge of a group of primitive humans. And yes, despire his appearance, Misa is a guy. Do not say otherwise, lest you annoy him. For that matter, don't call him a child, either. Age does not matter much to a Nacran. However, that's a bit off topic for now; we need to get back to the intro. In time, this small population comes to be known as the Nacaron ("People of the New Land", not to be confused with the Ancaron, the "Central People") as they begin to grow and expand. Soon, their small civilization will grow into greatness, but let's not get ahead of ourselves, okay? They still have to grow beyond one small town, after all. Greatness can wait for now; we, or more accurately, Misa, has work to do. All you have to do is watch and observe. And comment and maybe offer suggestions as well.

And now, it's time for that thing known as a table of contents.

TOC
Day 1: Newcomer (this post)
Region view 1 (this post)
Day 3: Exploration
Day 3: First Contact
Region view 2
Day 4: Tarac
Day 35: Unity
Day 36: Northward Bound
Region view 3
Day 37: Turnabout Point
Day 62: Bridging the Gap
Region view 4
Day 64: Heading Inland

Day 1: Newcomer

Day 1, unknown time:
Ugh, what happened? Last thing I remember, I was simply resting in my room aboard the Ancaron destroyer Garcan, next thing I know, everything was spinning. Nothing that I know of could have suddenly just caused that, even if we were attacked there would be at least some form of warning. After that, nothing, and now I'm here, wherever here is. I can't even detect the rest of the fleet, so wherever here is, it's either a long way away, or somehow I time traveled. Looks nice, though, clean water, green trees, and birds. Some big mountains just barely visible off to the... east? I think that's right, if this place's magnetic field is to be trusted. I suppose east is a good a direction as any to call it, until I figure out which way the sun is moving, at least.

Day 1, 3 hours:
It seems this planet is inhabited, surprisingly be humans that speak English. Either I didn't end up as far away as I thought I did, or English and humans are more widespread than I thought. The population is a bit low, though, I only saw about 10 buildings, 20 at most. There's some farms too, though I don't know anything about the surroundings here. However, they seem nice enough, about an hour and a half or so after I woke up here, two men showed up where I was. They had spears, probably for hunting, though after I told them I was not going to harm them, they helped me back to their village. Not that they would have been able to harm me with those spears anyway, though it is nice that they didn't try. Also, unlike many other humans that I know of, the men actually were skirts of some sort, and they correctly guessed my gender. Hold on, I think it is time for the tour of the area.

There were three of these guard towers, this one plus two more in the farms. The trees were cleared away nearby both for firewood, and to make sure nothing was hidden.

They also had a dock for fishing boats. They seems to be more advanced than I thought they were before, as these boats are quite finely made, much more so than one would expect fishing boats to be. They looked almost as if they were made out of one large piece of wood, carved into shape! Though I never did figure out what the tank out on the end of the dock was for, not even the villagers know. It just was there as long as they can remember, it seems. The birdhouses are a bit odd as well, they almost look like streetlights.

Ah yes, the farms. There were 5 different crops, consisting of what they called "pumpkins," "soy beans," "melons," "sugarcane," and something called "wax beans." Why someone would want to eat something with "wax" in its name, I don't know, but they say they're quite tasty. Overall their diet consists of these crops, fish, and various wild berries and other animals that they manage to find.

Overall, the village is quite advanced for a people who don't even know how to write. Then again, they've never really needed to so far. Maybe I can teach them, also maybe I could figure out why they don't explore. They only have really been in the village or the farms their whole lives, only traveling out into the forest to hunt, and then not going very far at all. There's an island or more land up to the direction I now know to be north, but they've never been there. No fish there, they said. While that makes sense, it doesn't mean they can't go there.

Region View Unlocked!

However, right now they don't know much about their surroundings! Don't worry, areas will be filled in as they learn about the region. And with18x18 medium tiles to play around with, there is a lot to learn. Not even I know everything about what is all out there so far!

These region views will pop up from time to time, mainly whenever there is a significant change. Let me know if you would prefer the region views to be in their standard size, instead of being zoomed in. Future versions likely will have a "fog of war" effect, as well. Good for hiding areas that should remain secret for awhile...
Nacar: The Diary of Misa Antacar

nedalezz

Hey Leech! Dont know if you still remember me, but I remember your CJs from back in the day on ST!

This is a great start here and I cant wait to see more. The village looks great.

Battlecat

Interesting start!  That's a neat looking village!

Schulmanator

Glad to see you over here as well. Monkey Island sends you a welcome basket of bananas.  :satisfied:
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

cubby420

Nice start. The story has lots of potential and your village is very unique.

canyonjumper

Great start! Interesting to see what else you'll do ;D

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

mightygoose

NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

Tomas Neto

M.M.Malwin

Very interesting this region  :thumbsup: . The village is very original. I like this isolated village atmosphere. It reminds me of the village of "Other" in the series Lost ...  ;D  ;)

Leech10

Day 3: Exploration

Day 3 + 10 hours:
Apparently there is some sort of prophecy of some sort about my arrival... at least that is what they said, I haven't been able to make heads or tails of the thing.

"The marked one will arrive from the sky... Born and yet not born, he will lead the people... The Dark Lord will not follow, but he will have power the Dark Lord knows not... The marked one will arrive from the sky..."

Well, my gills could count as a "mark," and the born part could refer to the Nacran creation process, though where this Dark Lord comes into play, I don't know. None of the people know of any lords, dark or otherwise. Maybe I'm missing something, or something got lost when it was passed down from generation to generation, I don't know. At any rate, the people have already turned to me to lead them, and it is slightly unnerving, as I've only been here 2 days so far... However, right now it is time for exploration. Well, not really exploration, more of just a tour of the western hunting grounds. Odd, I could have sworn that that field was full of pumpkins yesterday...

Trees. Lots and lots of trees. So many trees, you can't even see the forest though them! Oh, is that a bush? It's very calm in here, only the occasional disturbance from an animal of some sort. They have so far refused to travel deeper into the forest than what they have already done, and here I can't blame them. Near the edge of the known woods it still feels somewhat creepy and gets worse the farther away from town you go. They call the deep forest Mirkwood and it is somewhere that even I don't feel like exploring any time soon.

Not long after, we had reached the water, the same body of water that I woke up on, and where the dock is located on. A bit more rocky here, but still not enough to cause any problems for boats. Maybe these rocks could be useful in construction sometime in the future...

We soon arrived back at the dock after heading east. Oh, before I forget, the town is named Ansic, which by some weird coincidence, means "central city" in Ancaron.

Day 3 + 16 hours:
It wasn't long before we were on our way out to see, in the first true exploration mission that these people have gone on. I must say that this boat is surprisingly fast for something with no visible means of propulsion... I must figure out just what they use, as they certainly don't have engines yet, though no sails or rowers were on the ship, either. Unless the rowers were all below deck and rowed under the ship, that is.

Well, now I know why they've never been to this land before, its full of rocks. There has to be some safe area to go to though, me must keep looking.

It worked, we managed to find a relatively rock-free area of the shore so we could come in close and drop anchor. Some of the crew have taken to calling this island, or new landmass, or whatever it is, Rockland, though I hope that a more imaginative name will turn up sometime soon. For now, however, it is time to check out the area. It doesn't have that creepy feeling that Mirkwood did, so that's a good sign. Hold on, someone found something interesting.

Footprints... It seems we are not alone.

-------------------------

nedalezz: It's been awhile...

Battlecat: I'm glad you like it!

Schulmanator: Thanks! They could use some variety in their diet.

cubby420: Thank you!

canyonjumper: Indeed... who knows what is all out there?

mightygoose: I've been here awhile, but this is the first time I've actually done something in the forums.

Tomas Neto: Glad you like it!

M.M.Malwin: They're not going to remain isolated for long, though...

calibanX

I like your storyline. It will be fun to see your village turn into a civilization. Great work so far.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

Battlecat

Great little story, and very nice shots indeed! 

canyonjumper

Excellent update! Looking forward to see who/what that mysterious footprint belongs to!

Your friend, Jordan :thumbsup:

cubby420

Very intriguing...

There is definitely a very "Lost" feel to these first few updates, though uniquely your own. Hopefully I don't wind up as hopelessly a drift in your plot as Lost's!  $%Grinno$%

nedalezz

Yeah it has been years, lol. This is a great story you got going on, it has a very epic feel to it :)

The pictures posted along with the story fit in perfectly.

So now you got me looking forward to the next update very much!

Leech10

Day 3: First Contact

Day 3 + 17 hours:
So far there has been no sign of the people of this new land, other than more footprints. As we don't know if these people are friendly or not, we have been moving slowly in an attempt to appear non-threatening in case they are out watching nearby.

We found them. So far they seem to be friendly, and from what I can tell so far, similar to our own culture. Huh, I've only been here a couple of days and I'm already saying that... The environment here seems to be similar other than the increased number and size of the rocks, as well as the increase in the amount of dead trees and clearings, possibly because of the rocky ground. I wonder how big this area of land is, and how much these people know about it.

They have farms, that much is certain. However their farms seem to be more spread out, and they don'y have walls all the way around them, animals from the forest could easily cross the path and get into the crops if they want... though some could likely just jump over the walls, so maybe it doesn't really matter much. The crops look fine to me at any rate.

We have reached their village, which they call Tarac. It's getting dark, so it would likely be best if we stayed here for the night, assuming they don't mind. Their village seems to be larger than Ansic, but otherwise has the same basic design with wooden cabins, dirt paths, a spring, and a dock. Maybe towns only pop up wherever there is a spring? I only know of two towns here so I'm not sure.

Day 3 + 20 hours:
The people were happy to let us stay for the night, and are very curious about what is out there and want to explore. They just never had the chance before, with all of the rocks keeping them from making boats to head south. They can head north, but the region there is just as rocky except near the village itself, so they're stuck. Though the area where we docked the ship seems to be okay for a dock, maybe just move some of the rocks nearby out of the way... I don't know how the people will react to my abilities, though they don't seem to mind my appearance, which is not entirely human.

-------------------------

calibanX: And part of the fun is finding out just what type of civilization they become.

Battlecat: I'm glad you like it!

canyonjumper: Well, now you know.

cubby420: Not familiar with Lost, so it would be kind of hard to purposely copy it...

nedalezz: Thanks for the comment!

Battlecat

nedalezz

Im getting some Avatar nostalgia, mixed with a bit of Lost, lol. In any case, this is an absolutely riveting story.

canyonjumper

This is great! Loving the small communities!

Your friend, Jordan :thumbsup: