• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Nacar: The Diary of Misa Antacar -- Day 64: Heading Inland

Started by Leech10, March 03, 2010, 11:22:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leech10

Maps with Labels! What a Novel Concept!

Taractacar means "Tarac Island."

Due to a previous glitch in the mapping problem last time, you know the general layout of some of the land that they don't... but will it help? Stay tuned as we examine the details of Taractacar, and beyond.
Nacar: The Diary of Misa Antacar

cubby420

Cool maps and interesting concept to hold back exactly how much we see.

Never my intent to imply copying the "Lost" story at all by the way. Just noting some similarities in style that I rather like about your diary.

Keep up the excellent updates!  :thumbsup:

scott1964

Leech10

Day 4: Tarac

Day 4 + 12 hours:
Tarac overall seems to be much like Ansic, aside from the size difference. There's houses, a watchtower, a spring, and a dock, with some farms off around the town. It does seem to be a bit more spread out, though, or maybe that is just because it's bigger.

These people have different crops as well, could be good to have some variety. Not sure what that weedy looking field is for, but aside from that, they have something called "tomatoes," "peppers," "grapes," "cotton," as well as some melons and sugarcane. Also they seem to have their fences set up better on the west side of the island.

And of course, the water separating this island from several others... one area considerably more rocky than the other, though the rocky gap is shorter. We will have to come back to those areas later.

-------------------------

Battlecat: And there's more here!

nedalezz: Now Avatar I've seen.

Tomas Neto Thanks for the comment!

canyonjumper: I'm glad you like it!

Leech10: Wait, that one is mine...

cubby420: That isn't what I meant, I was just saying I haven't seen it, and thus it would be a bit hard to copy.

scott1964: They're the "Dry Stone Walls" on the STEX. I have no idea if they're on the LEX or not. They probably could be made in the Lot Editor, though.

nedalezz

Another great and hugely entertaining update!

I think my favorite touch from the village picture is how you have portrayed the cleared land around the houses, and how they blend in to the forest behind them. Its very realistic, and very easy on the eyes.

My favorite picture, though, has to be the last one. So well made, so much detail, it looks sooo tropical :)

canyonjumper

Great update!

Quote from: nedalezz on March 15, 2010, 07:12:57 PM
My favorite picture, though, has to be the last one. So well made, so much detail, it looks sooo tropical :)

Agreed ;D

-Jordan :thumbsup:
I'm the one who jumped across the Grand Canyon... and lived.

cubby420

Cool update. These little villages are really unique, but that last pic is definitely my favorite. Its a great nature scene.

Battlecat

Fantastic job, I like how you used those cabins!  I really like your terrain detailing as well, you're capturing the tropical feel very nicely.

calibanX

I'm going to agree with the posts above and say that you have a great pic in that last one. The foliage and rocks in that shallow water are great. I like those rolling fields too. Great work!

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

Leech10

Day 35: Unity

Day 35 + 14 hours:
Ansic and Tarac are for the first time truly linked together, with a path leading over to a second dock site within reach of Ansic from the Tarac farmlands. The path makes it much easier than walking though rocky forest where you never know where there could be a hole. Though they could have removed the log from the path.

It gets a bit hilly when the path turns to the east after heading south, going down and then back up the same hill. Oddly enough, it seems there's some sort of grid system thwarting efforts to build paths diagonally or something, why else wouldn't a diagonal path have been built?

Coming down the final hill, there's already some development! Are they predicting a population boom or something? No crops though, though it does seem a bit too hilly in this area. Nature's good though.

Of course they put all of that wood to good use for the docks... and for building more of those funky birdhouses. Do you really need that many? There's going to be bird poop all over the place, I expect. Seems the birds like them, though.

nedalezz: We will be revisiting that area soon...

cubby420: Thanks for the comment!

Battlecat: Glad you like it!

calibanX: Hmm... maybe there should be some more of those areas...

nedalezz

Another great update! You have a really great ability to tell an awesome story. I really like the dock!

cubby420

Nice update again. Love the little dock. Out of curiosity, what tree controller do you use?

Battlecat

canyonjumper

Looking great! The dock looks awesome!

-Jordan :thumbsup:

Leech10

Day 36: Northward Bound

Day 36 + 10 hours:
It is once again time for exploration, and this time we're heading further to the north. We're going on the eastern path as the water is now quite as wide here, and also not quite as deep.

It was relatively easy to get across the first body of water, but the second was considerably more difficult. Maybe the western path would have been a better choice... Though it could also get more difficult farther on, as well. We did manage to find a path to make it across the rocks, though we did have to climb down into the water at the end before making it to the next bit of land. I don't know if this is the mainland, or simply another island. I guess we'll be finding that out soon enough.

Day 36 + 14 hours:
This land is considerable more rocky than any other area we've seen so far. It took a couple hours of fighting our way though the trees between a small cliff keeping up from heading farther inland, and another small cliff that would drop us down into an inlet. There seems to be no way to get to the other side of the inlet as the only pathway across is blocked by a massive rock, and the cliff doesn't have an open path to take once you reach the end. Swimming doesn't seem to be an option either, as the cliff continues on the other side of the inlet, as well. The only option seems to be traveling up the other direction, and hoping that something will be found there.

Day 36 + 17 hours:
This land was somewhat easier to navigate, and we did manage to go at least twice as far, though cliffs still prevented up from traveling further inland. The land up ahead seems flatter, however, so maybe there is some hope for further exploration there. However, it is getting late and it wouldn't be good to keep exploring in the dark. We'll camp here for the night, and then continue exploration in the morning.

nedalezz: Thanks for the comment!

cubby420: The trees are hand-planted. Takes a bit longer, but I get exactly what I want.

Battlecat: Glad you like it!

canyonjumper

Very nice coastal pics! I love your use of the ploppable rocks.

Your friend,
                       Jordan :thumbsup:

RickD

Wonderful coastline. I wish I could do something like that.  :)
My name is Raphael.
Visit my MD: Empire Bay (My old MD: Santa Barbara County)

Battlecat

kwakelaar

Your coastal/beach images are really very nice. I like the combination of rocks, beach and flora that you are using. The images are quite something different.

Leech10

New Maps! Not a Joke!

As they gradually expand, more and more appears on the map, but who knows what is out there yet unseen? More water? Mountains? Barbarian encampments? Only time will tell...