• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Street Intersection Texture Mod (SITeM)

Started by Nego, February 15, 2010, 08:49:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nego

Welcome to the

Street Intersection Texture Mod

Forum Page @ SC4Devotion

Here, I am developing a mod that adds the word "STOP" and a fat line to any intersection that includes a street on the street. Here is an example of one of the textures:
From        →          To           →          To

Default Texture  |      Beta v0.1.1  |      Beta v0.2

As you can see, it replaces the original yellow line with the word STOP etc...

CasperVg

Looks good, but you might want to try and search a different name (and abbreviation) as tag_one has already released a Street Intersection Mod some time ago.
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

Nego

Sure, I'll do that right now. Thanks for the tip :thumbsup:

Diggis

Also, you might want to check the intersections in game.  The game has a habit of flipping textures meaning your stop signs and white lines could end up on the wrong side of the road. 

On a texturing note, compared to the rest of the texture, your white line is very strong and could use toning down a little.  And the stop signs are a little large and running over the kerb.

Nego

Here is what it lookes like in the game:

The textures are positioned correctly, but I think you are right, Diggit, the lines need to be toned down. As for the word stop, It looks good.

Jonathan

There shouldn't be flipping on the street network (if I remember correctly) but on the road and OWR there probably will be and on Avenue there definately is so you won't be able to add the Stop and stop lines to Avenue.

wes.janson

If you are using a photo program that supports layers, you might want to add the stop lines to a new layer, and play with the layer transparency a bit. Also.. try adding some texture noise to the stop lines for a bit of a distressed look.

Henrik Sedin: 82gp 29g 83a 112p - 2009/2010 Art Ross/Hart Trophy winner!

Tarkus

Quote from: Jonathan on February 15, 2010, 10:14:16 AM
There shouldn't be flipping on the street network (if I remember correctly) but on the road and OWR there probably will be and on Avenue there definately is so you won't be able to add the Stop and stop lines to Avenue.

The +-intersections will probably be okay, but you'll run into a problem with T-Intersections.

-Alex

Nego

Here is the new texture that I have came up with:

As you can see, it is toned-down, and also a little larger than the previous one. Here is an in-game shot:

It seems as though everything is working but the one in the lower right. I've completed these so far:
☻road  ━━━━━━━━━━  Done
☻avenue ━━━━━━━━━ incomplete...(Not sure if it ever will be due to texture flipping...)
☻one-way road━━━━━━ Almost done
☻other streets ━━━━━━ Done
☻Diagonal intersections  ━ incomplete...(Not sure if it ever will be due to texture flipping...)

MandelSoft

That line looks pretty thick. I'd like the first one more.
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

gottago

As Diggis said, the word STOP is too wide and the right side of the P is covering the dark curb line. This should be fixed as it looks quite obviously wrong.

The white bar looks too thick and the word STOP looks too close to it, and the whole thing looks too close to the intersection.

Also, when words are painted on streets they are stretched vertically about double normal height so that they can be better read at the low angle that a driver has vis a vis the road in front of him or her. So stretch the STOP vertically as you reduce its width.

Ryan B.

Quote from: gottago on February 16, 2010, 04:58:52 AM
As Diggis said, the word STOP is too wide and the right side of the P is covering the dark curb line. This should be fixed as it looks quite obviously wrong.

The white bar looks too thick and the word STOP looks too close to it, and the whole thing looks too close to the intersection.

Also, when words are painted on streets they are stretched vertically about double normal height so that they can be better read at the low angle that a driver has vis a vis the road in front of him or her. So stretch the STOP vertically as you reduce its width.

Here's a visual:

nekseb

Sorry for my comment  ;D - but in the last picture seems something to be wrong  &mmm - SOTP  ()what()
I don't need to know everything, I only need to know someone who knows!

letum aut libertas

Diggis

itfitzme

Quote from: nekseb on February 17, 2010, 03:40:10 AM
Sorry for my comment  ;D - but in the last picture seems something to be wrong  &mmm - SOTP  ()what()

Look closely at the shadows that are on both the street and the paint.  The shadow is on the street but not on the paint.  Also, where the line continued up onto the curb, it doesn't match properly.  It looks like a doctored photo.

j-dub

Just going to make an estimate here, if your going to use the word stop and a line, maybe reduce the line to no more then 5 pixels.