• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

CityMania

Started by Nique, February 03, 2009, 11:33:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nique

Well, i would like to keep the camera zooms, but now you'll be able to rotate free, and smooth. And a mode to release the camera (you) so you can go anywhere, but my first goal is to get zooms

It is a better idea to start from the scratch as we tried so many times to contact EA.. no normal answers are being given..
We are, of course greatly inspired by Simcity 4
Proudly developer of

Nique

Multi Language using XML configurations :)

English

Dutch

Proudly developer of

LE0

Theres a thread sc4 community related > Coummunications to EA in the forum. Noones posted in it yet, did you try that? ;)
Leoland coming Spring 2009

Nique

That site is abandoned for years... do you really think devs are still looking there?

Besides all that, i do not want to wait on my lazy ass for EA. All the time we are battling the current game to put custom content in, we can use to start a new. Of course, it is a huge project, but we better get started then.. that's why i just start.. with or without someone..

Otherwise it will never happen
Proudly developer of

dedgren

My guess is, folks, that EA will have a problem with any general use out in public- even for an open source project- of the SimCity name.  It'd probably be best to look for an alternative.  That's just the lawyer in me talking.

There's a bigger issue, though.  Despite all the extraordinarily brilliant folks in this community (present company on this thread included), the several efforts to create a community developed city builder game have done nothing but fritter away huge amounts of time and energy.  Game development companies have departments of pretty well-compensated folks working on a more or less dedicated basis, sometimes for upwards of a year, on software like what is being described.  The only distributed programming-originated game software coding I'm aware of that has been widely successful is NetHack [linkie], and that goes back well over ten years. 

I know intentions are good here, and I wish things could be different.  But they're just not.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Nique

So, let's stay optimistic,

I'm just starting. Most of the work is still filling the game with 'content' And isn't that what we are doing already here? Custom content?

Programming the game will take a while, but not 'that' long as we do not have to 'create' maps and stuff, we do not have to put it in the field by our self.. thats the job of the gamer. Maps can be created using height maps.. and here again, the only thing we have to code are the rules and limits for those maps have. The rest will be automatic. Thats our benefit with this genre of games. We have to build an engine, we have to build rules for path's of cars, rules of the world, but we do not have to create the 'so called' levels and a story line.. those parts of a game take out the most of the time. Monte Cristo did give herself a hard job by deciding to put GEMS in the game. Because GEMS is kinda 'storyline' programming. More rules for every aspect of a company.. that's why the game isn't released yet.

We are here with thousands and with 10 C# programmers, and 500 content creators .. we CAN make it.. but the thing is.. believe.. thats the way.. If you do not believe in creating things, you wont create anything!.. so.. i believe that this is possible. It's a matter of faith.

FPS Counter programmed

Proudly developer of

Nique

Added world date (speed is now 10x). This flash is a loop so it starts over over and over again.. (thats why the date drops back)
The mouse cursor looks that weird because i haven't set the right width & height of that cursor ;P

The reason why you see lower than 60 FPS is that the game does not need to draw more than 60 fps as you wouldn't notice it anyway ;D
I can turn a 'real' fps counter on (you also in the future but doing something like this in the cheat window: /show fps -real When i set the real counter on it's something around 6300 frames per second  :D..

Birth of OSC in motion  ;D

http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/343/birthlb0.swf
Proudly developer of

JoeST

this is quite interesting..... opensource? awesome

joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Heblem

Excellent work, that reminds me to action script, I know a bit of it, but not for do such things  ;D

Nique

I've implanted the speedSwitch mode. Now you can switch between 3 speeds (Turtle, Rhino, Cheetah) (of course including shortcuts
CTRL+1 Turtle speed
CTRL+2 Rhino speed
CTRL+2 Cheetah speed

I want to make the game look and feel as close to SC4 as possible. But of course i'll try to make a 3d engine without being stuck at heights. Creating a world, with lightning similar to SC4 and what about 'smooth' zoom. I think this can help custom batters a lot! 
Proudly developer of

LoneRanger

Quote from: Warrior on February 03, 2009, 01:35:38 PM
I asked one of the people at ea.support about contacting maxis and this was the reply:I couldn't find my game box so I couldn't find the address, but looking on my SCS and Sims boxes I didn't see any addresses.

Jonathan

wwright@maxis.com maybe?  ;)

http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/14.04/wright.html all the way down at the bottem.

Jonathan

:), I searched the email in google and other sites came up with it, so I guess its worth a try?

Nique, I tryed that sight you linked to, and I actually understood it, well the 1st and 2nd chapter then it got hard :)
Please don't forget your RHW textures though :)
Jonathan

Nique

We have 'terrain'  ;D

TO

&idea  :P  :D
Proudly developer of

wouanagaine

Please fix the jagged edge ie always split a quad along its shortest diagonal

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Nique

Quote from: wouanagaine on February 06, 2009, 01:32:24 AM
Please fix the jagged edge ie always split a quad along its shortest diagonal

??

What do you mean? It's Wire-framed

First test file (executable inside ZIP)

megaupload.com/nl/?d=XT7UJRU0

http://www.megaupload.com/nl/?d=5KFLAK03

Move Left: A
Move Right: D
Move Forward: W
Move Backward: S
Rotate using mouse: MiddleMouse + Steering around

Show/Hide Frames per Second: F7

(you need the latest .net)
(you need to have DirectX updated)
Proudly developer of

wouanagaine

I meant you should not split a quad along the same diagonal everytime.

ie
+---+
|    /|
|  /  |
|/    |
+---+
or
+---+
|\    |
|  \  |
|    \|
+---+
you'll have to choose the shortest one in 3D for each quad
This will prevent the jagged edge problem we all have in SC4

New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren ♦ emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley
M4346 ♦ moganite ♦ Papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Divide wouanagaine by zero and you will in fact get one...one bad-ass that is - Alek King of SC4

Nique

You need Latest .net Framework

Wait a minute i 'll respond in a few minutes to you Wouanagaine

Well, 3d = 3 points (always triangles).. let me look at the problem.. i 'm just a beginner with programming.

QuoteGraphics hardware can generally only render triangles, lines and points, so yes, at some point, data is converted to triangles. Typically, before the data hits vertex buffers. (In DX10 and DX11, there are ways to push this further down the pipeline, but in the end, you get triangles on the screen).

I'll upload a installer version.. just test it. .and remove it after that (it will automaticly install .NET if it's not present (can take a while)).

http://www.megaupload.com/nl/?d=5KFLAK03
Proudly developer of

Nique

http://img242.imageshack.us/img242/335/video20090206115051ou0.swf

I believe there is a solution to that triangle thing..

You mean this?

| -
| \

| -
| /

| -
| \

| -
| /

| -
| \

| - |