• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Source- 2/9: I'm Back! + A Teaser (of course...)

Started by dsrwhat316, August 04, 2008, 02:57:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwakelaar

Interesting work you are presenting us with, I very much like the first picture from OSITM update 1.

Connor

Battlecat

dsrwhat316

ecoba: I've never had the opportunity to visit such a pier either, Ethan. Living at the Jersey Shore helped me get ideas for my piers, albeit with a little tweaking  ;). Thanks for the comment!
BarbarossaS: Thank you, Stijn!
Earth quake: Thanks my friend for dropping by!
Battlecat: They do take quite some time to get just right; that's why it takes me so long to do an update! Thanks, man!
kwakelaar: Yeah, the shrubs do cut into the flower garden a bit, but I'll compromise with that for the look it brings to the lot. Thanks for commenting!
metarvo: After looking back at S.A.C.'s great pics, I wanted to use a land bridge (along with something else you'll see soon!). Hope you find that tutorial useful as I did!
Driftmaster07: Unfortunately, my experiment with subterranean roads didn't work, so for now there is a bypass road outside of the shot that will complete commutes.
ecoba: Glad to see you so enthusiastic, Ethan; thanks!
Battlecat: Thanks!
BarbarossaS: For your answer to your question, please see my response to Driftmaster07 above. The ghettos are coming along; it's been awhile since I've made any!
rooker1: Thank you, Robin, for bestowing upon me the OSITM award!
Battlecat: Yes, it has been a headache. So for now, I've set it aside and am concentrating on the rest of the area.
j-dub: I trust you saw my reply in my previous post. I know that you do a bit of modding yourself, so maybe you could give me a suggestion or two? It would be appreciated!
tooheys: Thank you, Dave! The area is progressing and most of those blank areas shown before are filled in now  :thumbsup:
io_bg: Thanks, my friend!
BarbarossaS: Unfortunately, the problem couldn't be fixed at this point, but I've progressed on the rest of the area. Thanks for dropping by, Stijn!
Connor: Thanks for the comment, my friend!
Tomas Neto: Thank you!
Earth quake: Thanks!
Fabian93: From what I've seen in your MD and elsewhere, your LE skills don't really need much improvement at all! Glad you like the underbridge lotting  :thumbsup:
ecoba: I would say about 90 percent of the content in my cities are custom-lotted. Every building I download I usually tweak the lots to either fit into or have the textures blend into the surroundings. My park menu is normal length; I actually use the seaport menu for most of these lots.
kwakelaar: Well, that area is nearly completed, so you'll be seeing more of it soon!
Tomas Neto: Thanks!
Connor: Thank you!
Battlecat: Thanks, my friend!

OSITM Part 3- Innovation
Well, I wanted to get replies out to all of the great comments posted here; didn't want anyone to think they were being ignored! Now on for the progress report. I've seen a technique used in some of the older CJs on Simtropolis and have been wanting to try it for myself. Here's what I've come up with:

These are simple lots that create a foundation around the elevated rail trestle. There's not really a practical reason to use this method; I just though it looked neat  ::) I know it seems that the past 3 posts I put up have nothing in common, but they soon will form the bigger picture I'm trying to show.

Tomorrow, I'm having minor surgery done on my broken wrists so I won't be posting for a little while. I should have an update sometime around next week, though. Until then...

~ Dan
Custom Lotting at its Finest:

Last updated: 2/9- I'm Back! +  A Teaser (of course...)

tooheys

Hey Dan, you could always put a pencil in your mouth and type with that  ::) Hope all goes well mate.

And I think I picked up that little trick from the same spot. Has some great uses, although I won't go into them here.
Nicely used with the trestle bridge, hadn't tried that one.

Look forward to more once you're on the mend.

Dave

ecoba

Hmm, that could work, Dan... ^^

Well, that is a really cool innovation, I like to look through the older MD's on ST, but I have not noticed this method once, it really is cool though.

Well, I know you'll do something miraculous with these three spots soon.

Hope you get well soon.

Ethan

Battlecat

Neat idea using those old underbridge lots!  I'm looking forward to seeing how this all ties together. 

Tomas Neto

Really fantastic work! This fence on the rail line is very cool!!  :thumbsup:

KoV Liberty

Good job on that! I really like it! Good luck with your minor surgery.

My new MD. Check it out if you wish.

Adrian, I miss you man.

metarvo

It appears as though you're building on the other side of the tracks now.  The truth is that almost every city has its older, lower-wealth areas, but they can still look good, and that is certainly the case with yours.  Keep up the good work, Dan, and I wish you a speedy recovery from your surgery.

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

dsrwhat316

OSITM Part 4- Suburbia
Thank you for the well-wishes! My surgery went well; I fortunately only needed surgery on my right wrist, so I'll still be able to keep things up-to-date  :thumbsup:
Now onto business! I've been working on some custom textures for use with the FAR, and here's what I got:

The textures aren't really mine; they are used on the World Trade Center lot, along the diagonal avenue. I just flipped the textures using the GIMP and made them into LE textures with the Reader, FiSHMan, and SC4Tool. They form the illusion of a sidewalk along the FAR roads.

Still more to come...

~ Dan

Battlecat

Nice touch with the sidewalks along the FAR roads!  They improve the appearance of the roadsides a great deal!  Your suburban shopping area looks very nice indeed!  Looking forward to what's next.

Glad to hear your surgery went smoothly!

art128

Hey Dan, nice to hear your surgery went "good" , I hope you'll don't get anymore surgery in the future..  ;D

These grass textures along the FAR are sweet my friend, excellent job on them ! They fit perfectly with the general aspect of the city and also with the atmosphere of the pictures you're showing. The trees you're using are always looking even better in your city than in mine, you must have a secret !  :D

Also, brilliant idea with the sunken-elevated-rail-viaduct, that's for sure something really "fresh" ! Thought I'm not sure engineers have already invented flying catenaries..  ;D I think the center poles catenary from the SFBT will looks much more better in that place, in the case they'll stand on concrete, and not on wind..  $%Grinno$%

And a brilliant work too with the low-wealth under-bridge scenery !

Take care,
-Arthur. :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Tomas Neto

Great update again!!! Very nice!!!  :thumbsup:
With respect to the MOD that you asked me I don't yet found the link, but as soon as I find, I'll sent it to you!!

Cyclone1001

This is truly amazing! I wish I had found this earlier...

j-dub

Quote from: dsrwhat316 on December 07, 2009, 07:55:30 PM

j-dub: I trust you saw my reply in my previous post. I know that you do a bit of modding yourself, so maybe you could give me a suggestion or two? It would be appreciated!

The functional road under Maxis draggable bridge? Well, its difficult to say. It is possible, via Maxis draggable tunnel, but that involves hole digger lotting, and then hiding the hole, and the tunnel model, plus using an overhanging road prop model to make the illusion, because you can not see the cars traveling underground. I'm sure that already is said in a tutorial, but aside from that, you have to use lots, and unless a new road model was made in BAT, using the same descriptor that Buddybud's underpasses used, its not going to happen, unless that has the same specs as Buddybuds model, which is some serious iLive Reader editing, but I can not copy him, nor don't know if he would allow that same spec copying. I want to say more, this dragging networks under crossing Maxis bridges was intended to be investigated in the future, but its just that it was not on the master plan for '09 as a NAM project, not that its impossible, just some modding away.

dsrwhat316

tooheys: Heh, luckily I didn't have to resort to that  ::) Everything went well, so I'm ready to get things going once again, Dave!
ecoba: Actually, there is a thread here on SC4D that shows this technique. I believe you can find it here. This was a main source of inspiration for me during my early LE days years ago. I still find these pics fascinating even now. The ghettos will be featured in the next update, but for now we'll have to settle for a more suburban setting  :thumbsup: Thanks for commenting, Ethan!
Battlecat: Thanks! You'll see how some of it fits into the picture in this update.
Tomas Neto: Thank you!
Driftmaster07: Thanks, my friend! Everything went well with my surgery.
metarvo: In this case, it would be the other side of the bridge, but I see your point  :P We won't see those low-wealth area in this update, just some suburbs. Thanks for commenting!
Battlecat: Thanks! I'm surprised that they actually fit into the FAR so well.
art128: I hope I have no more surgeries either, Arthur! Thanks for admiring the FAR sidewalks and the trees. I find it hard to believe they don't look any better in your city than mine  :thumbsup: As for the catenaries, I have re-done them because I agree they look out of place floating on a magic carpet like that  ::) Hope you like the update!
Tomas Neto: Thanks, my friend! And another thanks for your continuing search for that mod  :thumbsup:
Cyclone1001: Welcome to The Source! I'm glad you found the time to read my MD and I hope to see you back!
j-dub: I remember those lots from the STEX that hide the tunnel, but I was interested in more complex things it seems  ::) Well I thank you for your time in investigating this potential mod; hopefully in the future we'll see something like this from the NAM team!

OSITM Part 5/Update 22- Green Thumb
Well, a Merry Christmas to everyone! I have a small update today; have to get going to those Christmas parties! As you may have read in the replies, the ghettos will have to wait until the next update. For now, I have a bit of suburbia that I've been working on lately. Make sure you click on the pic below for the full-sized panoramic shot!

I was going to go with a different set of houses here, but when mattb325's excellent new housing set grew in, I didn't have the heart to demolish them!

Also, I've been having a bit of a problem lately with the SC4 Tool. If you click here you'll see the problem I'm having with the TE editor. If anyone has any suggestion on how to fix this, please let me know!

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!

~ Dan

Fabian93

Well, it seem that I have missed one Update.
Fantastic work on that little suburb &apls &apls
What I really like is, that there is a real "flow" in it - I can not explain it very well but what I mean is, that there is no abrupt change of buildings (shops and houses), but instead it looks really realistic (I guess nobody understands what I want to say :D)

Keep up the great work :thumbsup:,
Fabian

Battlecat

Those homes really are fantastic in appearance.  You've done a great job on those suburbs so far.  Looking forward to seeing their spread continue!