Menu

LEX File Exchange EA Support Files
SC4 Wikipedia Network Addon Mod
Dependencies Chat

Author Topic: NAM Request/Idea: One-Tile Roundabout  (Read 4131 times)

Offline Jimmyson

• Observer
  • Forums Citizen
    • TheJimmyson | Twitter
NAM Request/Idea: One-Tile Roundabout
« on: March 23, 2016, 08:04:37 AM »
I've been thinking on this idea for a while now. I've lived in town that often have roundabouts in housing estates, with street-based road. No major roads in sight, and giving rough estimations, I believed that a roundabout's diameter in these environments is not too larger that the span of a street.

So it got me thinking about the percent of a tile used by a street texture in the game. Measuring pixels to the full size, the game allocates 64px for the street from a 128px texture object. About 50% for the image, thus 32px for each direction, or 25%.

The diagonal space of a 128x128 is roughly 180px, enough to serve both directions of travel, and the hole on the middle. I was also worried about allocation for footpaths of pedestrians could easily move from one tile to the next. Again, looking at the texture, 16px on each side is allocated for Pedestrian movement, and can be easily accomodated in a 116px space, with 64px already used for the allocation of the road. So I mocked up an idea of what a junction may look like.

The yellow box indicates a full tile.
Pedesttrian crossing are moved to outside the intersecting tile, and it has traffic islands to seperate and merge traffic, and will need building to, as these are (in a way) transition pieces to the OWR/4-way street intersection.

With the progression of the NWM, and their use of OWR to print turning lanes, I wondered if there could still be enough allocation of IIDs to support the use of OWR on a street intersection to put this concept into practise.
It may be possible to consider building round about T-junction streets, only if the center island area is reduced.

What are everyone's thoughts?

Offline _Michael

• Forums Councilmember
  • Also on AIN as "Michael" and ST as "_Michael"
    • Simtropolis Profile
Re: NAM Request/Idea: One-Tile Roundabout
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 11:21:29 AM »
This sounds like a great idea. I know these are very realistic; 'mini'-roundabouts are every where in the UK! This would be something much better than American style 4-way stop intersections!

Offline eggman121

• NAM Team
  • Forums Parliamentarian
  • CL:
    Mr. Smth
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 06:24:19 PM »
I could lend a had here for Mini Roundabouts.  ;)

I have experience with them in my home town of Kyneton (Victoria Australia) And i am sure I could find a solution to make them work.

You could probably use the OWR tool to activate the Roundabouts on the Street Network just like you activate the Auto Turn Lanes for the Road network.

Since it is only a couple of tiles I think It would be quite reasonable to get them coded quite quickly.

Food for thought for myself I think.

-eggman121

Offline Jimmyson

• Observer
  • Forums Citizen
    • TheJimmyson | Twitter
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 08:59:54 PM »
We seem to be thinking on the same wavelength here. From the looks of things, only 2 tiles would need to be built.
There could be ideas for wealth zoning and possibly T21s to fill the center if people want to get creative.

Offline compdude787

• NAM Associates
  • Forums Senator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2016, 01:06:03 PM »
That does sound like a good idea. In Seattle where I lived for many years, there were lots of street intersections with traffic circles where it was just a raised island with plants on it that was stuck inside a 4-way intersection.
Check out my MD, United States of Simerica!
Last updated: March 5, 2017

My YouTube Channel

Offline Mero90

• Forums Citizen
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2016, 01:47:02 PM »
Yea, I really like that!  :thumbsup: Is it possible to make them appear placing the one-way road tool over a street cossing, like road turning lanes plugin does?

Offline gn_leugim

• Forums Parliamentarian
  • EHA - Making houses for eUro!
  • CL:      ★★ SC4 ★★ General Contractor
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2016, 06:29:26 PM »
and why stick with streets only? why not on roads too?  :thumbsup:

Mero90, lovely Syndra btw :D