• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

NAM Issues Thread - PLEASE POST YOUR NAM QUESTIONS AND PROBLEMS HERE

Started by jahu, June 03, 2007, 10:15:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffryfisher

Quote from: XL2007 on October 17, 2020, 08:34:03 AM
I spent the next few hours going through process of elimination, transferring my plugins from the old folder to new in small batches... With 11 gigabytes of plugins to transfer, you can imagine this took a while.

For reference's sake, the two were Element's "No More Dozer" mod and "JCS_TunnelAndSlopeMod".
Glad you found the culprits; the JCS one might have come up in a file-search, but "No More Dozer" is not obvious at all. I hope your process of elimination was the relatively efficient "binary search" where you add half of your plugins and then (depending on result) either add or remove half of half.

Do you have DataNode on your machine? It is a custom SC4 tool that will load your entire plugins folders and then tell you what mods are overriding what other mods (down to the exemplar level). With that tool, you could have found any "slope" exemplar to see what it was overriding / overridden by (and what file names were involved). Future visitors who read this thread should give it a try before suffering through a tedious brute-force testing process.
Modding PC games since 1993 (back when we needed hex-editors)

roadgeek

Quote from: j-dub on October 14, 2020, 02:58:30 PM
Roadgeek, assuming you are on a windows system via running the game windowed what you do is press the Prt Scrn Sys Rq button on your keyboard and instantly open MS Paint, go to Edit then Paste immediately. It should then show up assuming you didn't close the traffic view sub menu ...but to the best of my knowledge not being a coder, unfortunately the game thinks those are intersections hence the red light tiles. I ain't a programmer so unfortunately I got no resolve for that.

Thanks.

AsimPika3172

RHW2 look broken.... From ground RHW2 into elevated RHW2....  Just only one way, use elevated RHW2 starter and it's works! Look strange....

I loves Sim City forever!

Tarkus

roadgeek: My guess based on that image is that the OWR-3 sharp-90 bend does not have working DIPs (Distilled Intersection Paths--basically, the workaround we used to boost capacity on some NWM networks).  Probably true of other NWM networks as well.  I will probably take a look at it once I'm again on a working PC.

AsimPika3172: That's not a bug, but an intended feature. the product of a change made with NAM 38.  It's actually mentioned in the feature notes for that version, as seen in the History section of the NAM Documentation:

Diagonal FLEX Height Transitions (FLEX-HT) for the RHW-2, MIS, and RHW-4 have been added (all L0-L1 only). Note that the RHW-2 version does not automatically produce L1 RHW-2 by dragging out the top--a change that has been extended to the Orthogonal FLEX-HT as well, to improve stability.

The auto-L1/L2 RHW-2 out the ends of the FLEX-HT and FLEX-OST worked great for the RHW-2 . . . but they didn't work great for all the other networks, all of which had to override not only L0 RHW-2, but L1 and/or L2 RHW-2 as well.  There was some partial code to do that (on the order of 100,000 lines) for just a couple of the transitions, but to go full-bore with it would have turned into several hundred thousand lines.

As such, we finally killed auto-L1/L2 RHW-2 out the ends--which almost happened for NAM 37, but did finally happen with NAM 38.  We may produce a dedicated (but still FLEX) version that still does that, but doesn't accept other overrides, down the line at some point, but it's not a priority, and except for really tight situations (where one might want to put an RHW-2 FLEX-HT right next to some other network on both sides), adding a starter does the trick for now. 

The improvements in stability for the other network's FLEX-HTs are pretty massive by getting rid of auto-L1/L2 RHW-2 (especially in adjacency situations, since they won't try to revert to L1/L2 RHW-2 part way through anymore).

-Alex

AsimPika3172

I loves Sim City forever!

roadgeek

Quote from: Tarkus on October 25, 2020, 10:28:04 PM
roadgeek: My guess based on that image is that the OWR-3 sharp-90 bend does not have working DIPs (Distilled Intersection Paths--basically, the workaround we used to boost capacity on some NWM networks).  Probably true of other NWM networks as well.  I will probably take a look at it once I'm again on a working PC.

I am more concerned about the 45 degree bend in the Ave-6. I wouldn't even use the OWR-3, if it were not for that issue. I also tried to capture the OWR-3 to AVE-6 and AVE-6 to OWR-3, and if that is not apparent, I will give it another shot.

Thanks,
Dan

Tarkus

It's most likely the same issue--lack of DIPs/crossover paths.  I'll add it to my list of investigations.

-Alex

roadgeek

Thanks. I suppose that issue might possibly go away when the smooth curves come to the wider NWM networks.

roadgeek

Noticed that when a road intersects a Diagonal OWR-3, the paths don't seem to work properly, but it appears to be fine for OWR-2.

Tarkus

Any sort of diagonal crossing involving an NWM network is officially unsupported.  A little bit of the work we abandoned partway through NAM 30 development on such functionality was left in the mod, but it's strictly on an "as-is" basis, and there's no guarantee any of it works. 

We're also probably going to completely start from scratch with the NWM diagonal intersection support, so any such "as-is"/"unofficial" intersection is not guaranteed to work once we finally do support it.  They'll likely require being rebuilt (generally just a simple click over the intersection) once that time comes.

-Alex

Wiimeiser

I've noticed orthogonal RD-2 can intersect diagonal NRD-4 with little issue, the only problem I've found is that a T-intersection with the RD-2 terminating (terminating the NRD-4 here doesn't work) breaks the override if it isn't long enough to maintain itself on both sides (then again, terminating an orthogonal network at a diagonal one appears to be unsupported except for rail).

Also found some bugs (one major) with the RHW-3 cosmetic pieces. I'll attach some screenshots of the issue in question.
Pink horse, pink horse, she rides across the nation...

mgb204

Quote from: Wiimeiser on November 10, 2020, 02:10:02 AM
I've noticed orthogonal RD-2 can intersect diagonal NRD-4 with little issue, the only problem I've found is that a T-intersection with the RD-2 terminating (terminating the NRD-4 here doesn't work) breaks the override if it isn't long enough to maintain itself on both sides (then again, terminating an orthogonal network at a diagonal one appears to be unsupported except for rail).

Indeed as Tarkus stated, unsupported if the NWM is diagonal. WYSIWYG.

QuoteAlso found some bugs (one major) with the RHW-3 cosmetic pieces. I'll attach some screenshots of the issue in question.

LHD right? I fixed all of these up for NAM35, they were well tested and working perfectly too. Something obviously happened since then, such that the previous texture issues and some pathing problems were back again as of NAM36. I don't have the energy to look into it, but I can post my dev files, which in theory should still work. Copy/pasted info from the NAM Dev Thread at the time:

Install Location:

Network Addon Mod\z_Left Hand Plugin

• RHW-3 Cosmetic LHD NAM34 S3D+Path Overrides.dat
    Modified S3D models and Paths necessary for LHD users.
    Note: Paths have no ID Remapping, so included paths begin 0x5xxxxxxx.
  • RHW-3 Cosmetic LHD NAM34_US.dat
    US LHD Override Textures

z___NAM\Road Textures\Euro Cosmetic Re-Texture Mod\RHW\0_Standard

• RHW-3 Cosmetic RHD NAM34_EU.dat
    EU RHD Override Textures

z___NAM\Road Textures\Euro Cosmetic Re-Texture Mod\z_LeftHandDriveSupport

• RHW-3 Cosmetic LHD NAM34_EU.dat
    EU LHD Override Textures

You'll have to work out how to install them and the folder/file layout is based on the older NAM setup, which used z___NAM. That said, if you get the right files and load them after the Network Addon Mod folder, that should be sufficient here.

jdixon

I've looked through the documents and I can't seem to find how to make the turnouts work for the viaduct rail.  I've tried pasting the flex pieces and drawing them with the dtr tool and they always turn into on grade rail from the viaduct that I have.  I'm sure I'm missing a step but I cannot figure it out. 

Also, in the documentation, what does it mean when it says that the viaduct rail works through overrides?

flann

Quote from: jdixon on November 21, 2020, 02:45:10 PM
I've looked through the documents and I can't seem to find how to make the turnouts work for the viaduct rail.  I've tried pasting the flex pieces and drawing them with the dtr tool and they always turn into on grade rail from the viaduct that I have.  I'm sure I'm missing a step but I cannot figure it out. 

Also, in the documentation, what does it mean when it says that the viaduct rail works through overrides?

Turnouts on the viaduct rail can be dragged:

Working via override means that if I drag the rail tool into a viaduct starter piece (like a height transition) or into existing viaduct rail, it will transform into viaduct rail.

pierreh

I can't place a E1 Flex ramp on a RHW-8S. The picture below illustrate my issue:

In the left part, the test setup, with the RHW-8S, a 3 tile gap to place the ramp, and the E1 ramp ready to be placed.
In the center part, the result of the placement, with the outgoing ramp unconnected and a gap where the RHW-6S begins.
In the right part, the unfinished ramp. Dragging the RHW-2 tool on the right, inner part of the RHW-8S connects the ramp, but the gap (brown tile, when dragging the RHW-2 tool) remains and cannot be filled.

A D1 Flex ramp in the same setup gets constructed properly.

flann

Quote from: pierreh on November 22, 2020, 01:43:07 AM
I can't place a E1 Flex ramp on a RHW-8S. The picture below illustrate my issue:

In the left part, the test setup, with the RHW-8S, a 3 tile gap to place the ramp, and the E1 ramp ready to be placed.
In the center part, the result of the placement, with the outgoing ramp unconnected and a gap where the RHW-6S begins.
In the right part, the unfinished ramp. Dragging the RHW-2 tool on the right, inner part of the RHW-8S connects the ramp, but the gap (brown tile, when dragging the RHW-2 tool) remains and cannot be filled.

A D1 Flex ramp in the same setup gets constructed properly.

I was not able to reproduce this problem under NAM 38 with US textures.  Indeed, there was one point where there was a texture gap, but it was resolved by clicking over with the RHW tool.

A_1P

Hi everyone,

I hope it is correct to post this here. I am having issues with the latest NAM39 road tunnel feature.

My subway does not connect to the new tunnel ramp and change into tunnel road nor does the ramp seem to be a flex piece as described in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhD_A0S4F8U

I am using the ramp from the Road/RHW Overpass and Interface Puzzle Pieces menu trying to connect with the RealHighway to a RHW Starter Piece (Screenshot 1).
Then I try to use the Subway to connect to the ramp underground in several positions [where the ramp starts, where the ramp ends, in the middle of the ramp] (Screenshot 2).

Were there any changes made prior to the release? I didn`t find documentation on this. I am probably doing it wrong...

Thanks everybody!

Tyberius06

Quote from: A_1P on December 19, 2020, 11:04:34 AM

I am using the ramp from the Road/RHW Overpass and Interface Puzzle Pieces menu trying to connect with the RealHighway to a RHW Starter Piece (Screenshot 1).
Then I try to use the Subway to connect to the ramp underground in several positions [where the ramp starts, where the ramp ends, in the middle of the ramp] (Screenshot 2).

Hi A_1P,

You try to use the wrong piece. The mentioned tunnel portal is a static puzzle piece, and while visually looks the same as the new tunnel portals, it works exclusively with the old FLUPs (or the new FLEX FLUP ortho x ortho pieces), and not with the new subway implementation. The new subway based tunnel can be found in the Highway Menu close to the end of the menu, where the MHW/MHO piece can be found. That's the flexible and overridable version with the subway implementation. And you can find at the same place after the portal in the TABring the flexible overridable FLUP crossings.

- Tyberius
You may find updates about my ongoing projects into my development thread here at SimCity 4 Devotion: Tyberius Lotting Experiments
or over there on Simtropolis into the Tyberius (Heretic Projects) Lotting and Modding Experiments.
I'm also member of the STEX Custodian and working on different restoration projects on behalf of non-anymore-active custom content creators.
Current projects: WMP Restoration and SimCity Polska Restoration.
Member of the NAM Team and RTMT Team.

Ernestmaxis

When I make a crossing with the new Nam39 on the normal 2 lane headavenua from Simcity the game freezes
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvjEQ6tPRAijhGWidOBd0HpNOfdv?e=wQfzFa

Tarkus

The old Avenue Turn Lanes (ATL) plugin has been the source of some issues . . . usually, people having it installed, then not reinstalling it with a new version of the NAM (it isn't a default option anymore, since it tends to interfere pretty heavily with some features), but that leads to blank tiles/no textures where the intersection and approach should be.

Usually, a brief freeze while building a transit network setup means that the path files are absent.  I do also notice you have a bit different textures on there.  I'm wondering if perhaps somehow you have the INRUL files for the ATL installed from a previous NAM (they were actually in a separate file in an "INRUL Overrides" folder between NAM 32 and NAM 36), plus the textures in a Euro texture file, but not the ATL file itself, which would contain the paths.

We normally recommend now that users completely move/remove the Network Addon Mod folder (and z___NAM, if still present from a NAM 31-36 installation) out of Plugins when installing a new version, since the new installer can't detect what you had installed before.  Moving/removing the old folder(s) should normally eliminate any holdovers from the old file architecture. 

I'd recommend taking a look to see if you have that INRUL Overrides folder within Plugins\Network Addon Mod.  If you do, pull it out, and if you'd like to have the old ATL plugin installed, make sure to check the "Legacy Auto Avenue Turn Lanes" box under 2_Additional Network Features > Road, One-Way Road and Avenue.

Another less likely possibility is some sort of otherwise correct installation that got glitched.  The new setup for the ATL has it in a subfolder of 2_Additional Network Features\Road, One-Way Road, and Avenue, called "Legacy Auto Avenue Turn Lanes", and it should have two files within it . . . NetworkAddonMod_TurningLanes_Avenues_Plugin.dat and NetworkAddonMod_TurningLanes_Avenues_Plugin_INRULs.dat.

-Alex