• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Construction Layer

Started by tomkeus, October 15, 2009, 09:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomkeus

OK, here's something that might be controversial: Construction Layer.

Namely, in SC4, when constructing we would place or drag things across isometric perspective of our city. In our discussions about construction in CityMania we came up with something much more different and not so Eye-candysh and interactive, but very robust and precise. So here's first schematic. Excuse me for the quality but I did it with a stylus for speed.

Instead of just having pretty isometric picture of our city, we will have a separate representation that will be kinda like CAD drawing. You wont be able to build in isometric representation. You will have to switch to Construction layer in order to get construction set of tools. Here's rough sketch of Construction layer

Construction layer will have vector graphics look, just like CAD drawing. Zones will be drawn like vector shapes. Simulator will then subdivide zones into lots on which individual buildings will grow. As you can see, lots don't have to fill entire zones. Available elements for constructions of zones and roads will be: straight lines, circular arcs and transitions curves (Euler spirals). So as you can see, we're going very engineering way here.

Another feature are blueprints. For example, you want to build new block with streets, zones and transportation. You can start new blueprint in Construction Layer, draw your plans, jump to photorealistic isometric layer and preview how will our plan look like. We can save blueprint and when we're ready to build we just push Commit button and Blueprint starts to be built. This way, you could plan city ahead, adjust plans later and build when funds are available.

Since Construction layer is 2D top-down, question arise, how will elevation be managed. Here's drawing

Terrain will be presented as topographic map with isohypses. When we start dragging road, or rail, in the botom of the screen longitudinal cross-section will be shown, displaying vertical profile of the road. This is where alteration to the vertical profile could be made. By adjusting vertices we can create bridges, overpasses, underpasses etc. Menus will be available to alter parameters of road we're building, like how many lanes, sidewalk or not, street lights or not, traffic lights or not. We could even manage intersections. Based on that vector data, GUI can proceed to render appearance of what we've built.

That's the very basic description. I invite you to ask questions, since I left out a lot of details, to give suggestions and make prettier drawings with your ideas.

Thanks
#define TRUE FALSE /*Happy debugging suckers*/

tomkeus

One more thing to mention. Since programming construction layer will be much easier than programming nice eye-candy engine, construction layer will probably be used to test first versions of the game.
#define TRUE FALSE /*Happy debugging suckers*/

Jonathan

I think the height thing could be a problem, it doesn't look simple enough to use.

Couldn't you just plan it out in 2D then add height, so you switch to a height mode (still in Construction) and then what you have just drawn is on a 2D plane in 3D space with a free camera, you can then click on roads and other objects that can have height and then drag them up or down, but in this height mode you can only change the height, you can't draw new things.

u.mueller

I think this sounds like a very good idea, since planning in simple 2D is also a lot easier.

I would go ahead with this, with one exception. I wouldn't rule out construction in the eyecandy mode.

Atomius

i'd agree with u.mueller. i reckon this idea is a good one but i would have it as being optional whether you constructed in 'eye candy' or 'layer' mode, so for instance if you were just wanting to plant a few trees in a park you wouldn't have to go to the trouble of switching modes, whereas if you wanted to plan an entire new suburb you would probably want to, as it would make it easier.

But yes i like the idea.

croxis

I likes.  Other possibilities is assigning different tool types to different players, so one player can only have access to transportation tools, another to utilities, and so on.

Some usability concerns:  
Blind adjustments.  I can see some issues on making an adjustment, switching to the preview view and not liking the result, switching back to the construction layer to make a minor change, then needing to switch back again not liking it and switching back...

Possible solution would be to have an ingame window for the construction layer.

The other issue is doing height.  This is something I thought CitiesXL did a decent job hitting the mark.  It felt intuitive and I got instant feedback on the look of my design.  There were some limitations like no numerical adjustment options or being able to change a midpoint without deleting later parts of the design.  Holding shift for altitude is a UI mechanic that has been around sense at least homeworld 1 (and was hailed as brilliant).

Other than these two things, which I think the first has an easy solution, I am totally in line with your thinking.

JoeST

I guess it would be possible to 'save' as well as 'commit', as in drafting, and maybe (the old issue) change tracking :D...

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms