• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Neo Byzantinian Empire of Stropon

Started by Strechnitz, April 11, 2007, 12:09:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sebes

The Stropon monarchy star is realy raising! I am glad it turned into a modern thinking liberal state. Your choise of pictures is excellent again  :thumbsup:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Pat

Strech that is looking really good and i hope your request dont fall upon deaf ears - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

TheTeaCat

Well what can I say? Mesmerising, captivating, supercalifrag........ ous . Bravo Strech you did it again. One of the best md's i have had the pleasure to read. Many many cups of tea have been brewed while reading this. My apologies for not commenting more regularly but i always eagerly await each of your updates no matter how small.

made this for you you most certainly deserve it. :thumbsup:

regards

Derry
Kettle's on. Milk? Sugars?    ps I don't like Earl Grey  $%Grinno$%
Reduce, Reuse, Recycle - If you're not part of the solution , you're part of the problem!
"Never knock on Death's door: Ring the bell and run away! Death really hates that!"
Tales at TeaTime      Now A proper NUT      TTC plays GRV II

Strechnitz

Hello people, here are the personal replies I promissed you. Don't mind the typo's please. I hae just returned of a dreadfull party where the host made a fool of himself.  &Thk/( I found solace in wine, champagne and a fine discussion with a gothic filosophy student with an almost unhealthy existentialist world view. So my mind does not operate on full capacity at the moment. Sorry for that. ::)

Yoder Indeed, I agree the building by Prepo which I used for the Roterburg complex simply asked to be used this way. It is a real gem. I'll PM Prepo to tell him so, that would be a nice gesture I think. I'm glad you liked the updates. The emperor is thrilled to be declared a deity in Bliss. He wants a temple dedicated to himself to be erected in the Dampotzen Palacegardens. it's probably his age, or his childhood... however.

The gay marriage part was actually a big thing for me. Although I have no plans to marry myself yet. I do believe it is important to have the same rights, and obligations as straight couples. Stroponian society and politics are not a true projection of my own views on these matters. But my views on marriage do coincide with the article.

Russel The society correspondent in RL is actually a woman of 52.(god honest) she is the wife of a wealthy and succesfull bussiness man and the selfproclaimed ambassador of cosmetic surgery in the Netherlands. And I must say this is quite a bad picture of her. on other pics you would believe her to be thirty at most.

Ah, If you read the Stropon Herald of the 1st of July carefully you will find that the Stropon Times was guilty of the Stropon  Osturland Mistressgate scandal and has fallen from grace. The chief editor is incarcerated and awaits his trial. That is why the Stropon Herald has taken it's place. "$Deal"$

Oh dear, we don't want trouble with Bliss on such a pretext. Why not try a typical Stroponian solution? Only open the temple for worship, one day a week instead of always like the Temples dedicated to the Living Gods of Bliss. That way the total visitor counts will plummit drasticly compared to the other temples. Problem solved dont you think? :satisfied:

Belfastuniguy Thank you so much for your apreciative comments. I 'm glad you aprove the stance Stropon takes on these social matters. BTW Stropon has always had liberal views on this matter. yet the issue of gay marriage has simply never been put on the agenda.

BTW way that is a typical thing in governments (as you should know) what has never been presented to them does not exist. A nice anecdote about Queen Victoria is about Gay Rights. Some politicians dared during her 60 year reign to bring the subject of homosexuality up in talks with her. and so the very first carefull outlines on gay rights in the modern prudish society started there. however every scrap of information on the subject in government and royal archives are always on relations between men, never ever is there a mentioning about women. None of the ministers and courtiers ever dared to mention to her majesty, the Queen of England, and the Empress of India et cetera, et cetera that besides sodomites something as lesbian love could exist.

So naturaly it simply did not exist  ;D

And of course you like that coat. so do I. It is a stunning peace. and so is the model :)

Patfirefighter Thank you Pat. I apreciate your concern. As you can read in my reply to Russel the Stroponian government has already given an option to diffuse any possible conflict. so rest assured. and please tell your people that they can sleep without any worries about the Stropo- Blissian relations. all is still in hand.   :-[ trust me...

Urban Wow. welcome to Stropon Urban, ad thank you so much for your compliment. Although it is not my aim to specificly try to create real european cities, I do strive for some realism and try to incorporate typical european urban morfology. sometimes the result is good sometimes it does not work out the way I hoped.

I hope you will enjoy the articles as much as the pictures.  :)

Snaper Thank you Snaper. I'm glad you like it.  What do you man about the intersections? I do agree that those around the Epochen Platz are quite cmplicated. but that is also due the fact that I can't post a pic of the entire Square. If I could, the situation and the intersections themselves would make more sense than they do now. but unfortunately whe I try to change zoom the game crashes. but the new computer will arrive soon. that I will replace the pics with ones in the proper zoom level.

Bat Thank you my friend, glad that you liked it. BTW was there aby article you particularly liked? You know me, I am very curious by nature. It usualy kills the cat, that's why I'm still alive. :D lame I know. I'm sorry ::)

Sebes Thank you my friend. I'm glad you aprove of the pictures. BTW Stopon has always been modern thinking and liberal. if you look at the elite that pull the strings. There big problem is the fact they refuse to share the power with the electorate. lucky for them the major part of the electorate is easily appeased with low taxes and peace.  :)

Patfirefighter Thank you my friend. I hope so too. But if my request would be turned down for whatever reason. That would not diminish my admiration or respect for the MD or his maker.

TheTeaCat Oh dear derry. I love your comment. it is so you. :) will you believe that I am at this moment actualy enjoying a cup of camomile tea? So thank you for offering it to me.  ;D it is really apreciated. I promiss to bake you some musffins for your next cuppa. how do jellied lemmon muffins sound? Or would you prefer Amarena muffins? (the scrumcrious preserved  Italian cherries.)

It does not matter that you have not commented before. You are welcome nevertheless! care for a cuppa yourself? I'm sorry that I don't have a neat icon to accompany the offer but there it is. :)

I find it more important that people enjoy my little showcase of a pleasantly twisted empire than a high post rating. Not that I don't enjoy reading them but you know what I mean :)

dedgren

QuoteI find it more important that people enjoy my little showcase of a pleasantly twisted empire than a high post rating.

That's the most insightful statement I've read in an MD all month- maybe even this year. It's why Stropon will be here a year from now, with a sizeable comment count accreted slowly but steadily over time, and 10 other MDs that have a much higher current profile will be yesterday's news.  I don't mean to sound dismissive of anyone's work, but somehow the MDs (and MDers) that are here for the long haul almost always stand out somehow.  Your work here, Strech, has that elusive quality of something that is built to last.  I know I use the word "great" a lot in commenting on folks' MDs- that's because I invariably enjoy almost everything I see here at SC4D so much.  But there's "great" and then there's "Great."

Stropon is Great.  It's a high privilege to have you share it with us.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Emperor Stormont

The Imperial Kingdom of Atlantis would like to announce it's new ambassador to The Neo Byzantinian Empire of Stropon.

Lord James Bernard Bickerstaff has recently completed 5 years at the Atlantan Military Academy and joined the Foreign Ministry in June. Lord Bickerstaff is a member of one of the most esteemed families in Atlantis and is a welcome addition to the Diplomatic Service.

Despite the charming looks he is a dedicated diplomat and will ensure Atlantan interests are looked after. He is also looking forward to his service in Stropon, a nation he has studied and grew fond of and aims to take forward the warm relations both nations enjoy.

He is also awaiting his first meeting with Lady Theodora von Büllowtof Kranz, Stropon Ambassador to the Imperial Kingdom. A dinner at the Stropon Embassy has been arranged, the following day Lord Bickerstaff will fly to Stropon.

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Strechnitz

Dedgren Thank you Dedgren. Your words touch and humble me. It is a great thing to see ones work apreciated. And I don't intend to quit this MD, not for a long time. I have not shown and told half of what I can and want to tell. And to conclude I want to say that the privilege is mine to be here with so many talented batters, lotters, modders, MDers and other enthousiasts around here who give this game the wings to expand the gameplay into realms the producers and myself when I bought this game years ago could not imagine. It is largely due to this site that I started playing again, and with more fun than ever before I might add. :)

So thank yóu Dedgren, and thank yóu all!

Belfastuniguy PLease tell his Imperial Majesty Stormont III that lord Bickerstaff is welcomed warmly to the Empire. We have all faith in his capacities and look forward to work with him.

on a sidenote, Lady Theodora wrote a favourable report after the dinner in the Stropon Embassy. She simply could not keep her eyes of his broad ...err Credentials. :D

And now back to the update at hand.

Well hello there, all feeling comfortably? Right! The city is quite quiet now. All who can have left the humid climate of the Strechen Bay and headed for their summer retreats or holiday destinations. It is the time of the Society season you know. It is in full swing now. Capital sight, capital sight! Though not for wee little me I'm afraid. The cabinet deemed it wise to open diplomatic relations with Nova Vesfalo just before recess. Smart move of course, but I mean, could it not wait till after my holiday? Now I have to work! During Recess! ME!!
Oh well. I asked dear Christine to allow me to guide you for your last visit to Strechnitz before you head of to other parts of the Empire. The only fun thing I'll have this summer...Even the wee wife's not here to solace me. She wrote the other day that here ailments are worse than they first thought. She has to prolong her stay according to her holistic french talking beefcake masseur or some other damned quack. Let's start shall we? Right? Right!

Can you hear the birds sing? Here we stand at the gates of the Saint Judas cemetery, in the rolling hills around the old city, dotted with the villas of the middle classes. This cemetery is the burial place of famous statesmen and artists. Apart from famous names this cemetery is also renowned for the exquisite tomb architecture and funerary statuary. The burial Chapel is designed by the famous Andrea Breamonte and clad with the finest white Carrara marble.

Descending the hill we reach the edge of the old 19th century expansions. Here we have arrived on the site of the old 'Hortus Botanicus' or botanical gardens. All that remains are the old palm house and the Aphrodite Basin. The rest were developed in the second half of the 19th century. The Imperial Botanical and Horticultural Society were granted a new and better location near Kayserbürgen where the gardens can still be visited today.

Another complex that was enveloped by the 19th century expansions but survived is the Saint Simeon in the fields University. Once it literally stood amidst the fields. As you can see the 17th century academic buildings stand out against their more modern companions. This honorable college was the key player in supplying the empire with diplomats in the pre-doctrine era. Today it is part of the Imperial Stroponia University  Now it houses the faculties of theology and philosophy. But who knows. With the current ongoing thaw these reverend buildings could get their old purpose back.

Here in front of the university stands a more sinister monument. This commemorates the traumatic loss and humiliation that was Stropons lot in the First World War. You all know by now that it triggered the era of doctrine and so forth. At least you should  :D so I won't repeat it again. Although the fact that you'll be confronted with that disastrous outcome of that war time and time again shows you just how much it influenced the entire nation. Right? Right!

Just look at the Imperial Library, doesn't it look grand? This regal building holds the finest and rarest manuscripts and books of the Imperial collections. They can be viewed and studied here. The bulk of the collection however can be read and lend at the State Library. A huge building in the newest part of Strechnitz. Unfortunately we won't be visiting that today. But here in the old building you find the little treasures that were not accessible by the public until a few years ago. Now lets have a lunch in the good Stroponian tradition. I'm famished of all this talking!

Now coming back to the Kolonien Platz we are greeted by the lush summer sun  boiling the marble world map on the Colonial Memorial we've been here before as you know, sweet memories eh? Right! The monument celebrates the acquisitions of Quitaniania and Nargoon. It is a ship with in the relief the carved statues of the important generals and viceroys of the colonies. The west side of the statue naturally shows the Quitanianian heroes. And the east side those of the Nargoonian conquest. The Kolonien Platz is a favorite hang out place for skateboarders and other youngsters spending their summer on the beach and boulevard.

From here we follow the broad tree lined Helden Allee or Allee of Heroes. An early urban development from the late eighteenth century. The uniform architecture of the surrounding blocks show the ideal of order and symmetry, transformed from an ideal into urban reality. The Helden Quarter has always been a stronghold of the lower middle classes. Perhaps that is why this area despite its dimensions and scale somehow breaths a cozy homely atmosphere? Don't you agree? Right! Come along. Only six more blocks to go!

And as I said before on our nightly walk this Allee leads up to the impressive Arch of Glory. As you may have noticed we are very fond of Triumphal arches. Must have something to do with the Roman/ Byzantine roots, I guess. Where most Arches  are dedicated to illustrious persons or victories this one is more like the Pantheon among the arches. This one is dedicated to every victory large or small won by Stropon. The Platz, Allee, and Arch were designed together to hold triumphal marches to celebrate military victories in Roman style. Unfortunately there have been no victories to celebrate after the completion. Some critics wanted to change the names of the Arch and Allee for that reason into less military names. But the Imperial Cabinet has always refused to adhere to them.

Time for the last great square alongside the old city walls. It is also the first of these squares that was constructed when the city started expanding. The Kaysers Platz! The only original building alongside this square is the Saint Liduina basilica. Also known as the "Dutch Church" during the 80 Year War that country fought with their Spanish king many Dutchmen fled to seek asylum to the only other nation in the Old World with freedom of conscience and religious tolerance. Namely Stropon. Of course! Who else? Many of them integrated into Stroponian society but left their mark on Stroponian architecture. The finest example of that is the Church they built to service the reformed Dutch community in Strechnitz.

Here we see the square itself and one of those intersections you all seem to like so much  ;) But be warned you get used to them quickly  :D The obelisks were gifts from the Porte of the Sultan of the Ottoman Empire in the 18th century. Only then the relations of the Ottomans and the Bizantinians normalized for the first time since the destruction of the Byzantine Empire in 1453  It is said that these obelisks came from the gardens of the fabled Alexandrian Library.

Now before we continue with the other buildings around the Kaisersplatz I want to take you to the Imperial Observatory. At the end of the wall near the old harbor´s edge stands the small Arch angels fort. In military terms also known as a ´redoute´ it guarded the harbor in the old times. When the redoute lost its strategic position and use the sight was given to the Imperial Astronomical Society to build an observatory. And so they did. Nowadays the building is a museum. For all the light pollution of a modern city has rendered the building utterly useless for astronomical observation. Ah yes, I see it is dinnertime. Come on people A banquet of Nautical delights awaits us at the Golden Swordfish Restaurant. Besides I need a good drink to embalm my tonsils. HA! Right!  Follow me people!

Aaaah now that was good! At least I am stuffed. Wonderful. Well as you see the night has fallen and finally it cools down a bit. Although the stones still emit a lot of warmth. We have returned to the Kaysers Platz. I really like the night lighting scheme they have designed for this square. On the far side we see the Electorial Palace. It houses the offices of the Nobility Council and more importantly it is also the place where the Prince Electors and their adjutants are locked inside during an Inter Regnum to choose a new Emperor and subsequently the new dynasty to rule the Empire when the old dynasty ceases to exist or produce an appropriate heir.

Here we have the Imperial Gallery of the Modern Arts. It is housed in the old Imperial Archives Building. The building was extensively renovated and the interior totally stripped away and renewed to house the growing collection of modern art. Some call it sarcasticly the Doctrine Museum because it contains avant garde art from 1920 and onwards. But those critics just have no taste in modern art if you ask me. Probably a bunch of ramshackle painters turned down by the Imperial Academy for the Arts. Poor blokes.

Behind the Electorial Palace we find the old Strechnitz book market perched around the statue of Field Marshal von Bluchentopf. The stalls are sheltered from the west winds coming from the Lake Lake Federn by the Imperial Portrait Gallery. This enormous Greek temple house the gallery of emperors, where paintings of every Emperor and Empress who have ruled Stropon up to a painting of our present ruler when he took up the reigns of government all those years ago, is to be found.

Well that concludes our trip to Strechnitz. Of course there are still the Imperial International Aerodrome and the Stroponia University Campus and such. But before you'll see those, other parts of the Empire will be highlighted. Can´t neglect those now can we. Right!

Talyhoo and Buhaloo and all that. The relations with Nova Vesfalo demand my full attention now.

That poor Sprenklemayer. off to bully his department to do his work while the rest of the elite enjoys a sunny summer season at the spa´s or the races. Well we can´t have it all.

sebes

Quoteduring the 80 Year War that country fought with their Spanish king many Dutchmen fled to seek asylum

Now that explains a lot of familiarity that I sense in your updates, and in the characteristic feature of the Stroponians.

I'll have to remember to build some links with Stropon and Strechnitz when I go back to work on my Nieuw Amsterdam region ever again.
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Strechnitz

Hi Sebes my friend.

Yeah that would really be great fun!
Your Nieuw Amsterdam would be a most welcome ally.  :)

Strechnitz.

bat

Fantastic new pictures, Strechnitz! Great buildings also the first picture is looking very nice! :thumbsup:

Emperor Stormont

Another fabulous update from dear Stropon. Love the cemetery, looks really well.

I'm so pleased  Lady Theodora approved of Lord Bickerstaff and his aahhh......... credentials. Lord Bickerstaff is simply loving Stropon and is currently enjoying shopping in the exclusive antique stores finding the best pieces for his ambassadorial home. He has been most impressed by the warm welcome thus far.

The Imperial Atlantean Empire MD <-- click to view
A new Beginning
Trixie Nominated CJ
2007 & 2008

Pat

Strech a wonderful update and great story as well i loved it and you can gurantee i will be back soon - pat

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

dedgren

Oh, my friend, the pleasure is most assuredly all mine.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Yoder7652

hmm...where do I begin  ;D so many great city details....I love the look of your cemetary, debussyman's building as a centerpiece is a good choice. The look and layout is inspiring me work on a redesign for the main cemetary in Payens  $%#Ninj2 I also like the look of the university in the middle of the city. It does create a sense of the city growing up around the historic university. The ally of heroes is also a very cool spot in the city as is the arch. I love that you combined the arch with the base textures that you used, very nice touch. Everything is top notch as usual Strech...I can't wait to see what you come up with next.

emilin

Ooooooooooohhhh! Really nice looking stuff here. The pink walls look stunning! And a whole lot of other stuff too, like the canals for instance, and the broad avenues. &apls

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

Strechnitz

Dear people,

First I have an important anouncement to make regarding the SCJU. last week I received the happy news that my aplication for ambassadorship to the union has been granted by them. So we have moved up the ranks from observer to Ambassador there (poor von Sprenkelmayer he'll have no rest this summer).
My first update back from holiday will do justice to this occasion, as well highlight the newly established diplomatic relations with the wonderful country of Nova Vesfalo.

The imperial government is enjoying her summer reces and so will I. I wanted to make a big update before leaving to Austria but unfortunately things did not work out as I planned them. So you will get that when I return in the second half of august.

What can you expect to see and hear from Stropon?...Well...one can never see what the future holds can one? But what I will tell you is that amongst others I am planning to showcase these topics when I get them ready. Although in no particular order as written below.

In Stropon,
- The city of Simeonopole, our holy city
- The town of Heliotropolis, a Prince Electors seat.
- The Listerlunde palace, a true Arcadia of palatial proportions.
- The history and future of the Imperial Strechnitz Aerodrome a.k.a. Strechnitz International Airport

In the colonies,
- The town of Victoropole, the seaport of Quitaniania.
- The town of Sri na Danang, The vice-royal seat in Nargoon.

Miscelanious,
- The reports on "the season" this summer.
- A visit to the Kayser Gallerie. Did you know that Jerome Victor IV has 26 predecessors? Want to see them? you can and will. All 26 of them!
- An important history update on religion in Stropon.
- With a bit of luck life coverage of the  Strechnitz-Simeonopole Rally.
- Some more great things I won't mention before they happen, so stay tuned  :D

And yet still more is to come, if I have my way. Although this will keep me busy for quite some time. probably till january.

And now for some personal replies.

bat Thank you bat, I am very happy with that cemetery too. glad you like it :)

belfastuniguy It is good to hear he likes our dear Empire so much. BTW his fondness of antiques will get him a carefully selected gift to grace the halls of the Atlantan embassy soon :)

patfirefighter I am glad that you liked this update so much. And indeed don't be a stranger as you can see I have a lot of plans brewing there will be plenty to see I hope :)

dedgren Well, I won't argue on this one ;D I am most pleased that you feel this way ;) It is nice to have a win win situation where everybody is happy.

yoder Thank you for your comment my friend. I am glad that you like it so much. It is sometimes quite difficult to get the city to look like the way one wants it too. but as you see, sometimes it works out beautifully. :)  And as you can read above, quite a lot is coming your way, just not yet. ;D

emilin I am happy that you like and aprove my Strechnitz update Emilin. I like the canals and avenues too. I have to watch out not to use them in every city I build :)

Well there you have it my friends, have a great holiday I you haven't had one already! if you have, I hope it has been great! I'l be back soon. If you have any questions on my proposed updates please do so. you can also PM me if you want. I will answer every one of them.

Bye,

Strechnitz.

Snaper

Very nice update, I love your parks in your city  :thumbsup:

It's majestic  :D

Schulmanator

Stropon is coming along quite nicely. Out of curiosity, what is the retaining wall used aound the observatory? I like it- and it suits the site well. You have some great vistas. Keep up the fine work.  &apls
See the all-new National Capital Region!:http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15118.0

Strechnitz

Snaper Hello Snaper. Thank you. I am very happy with the parks and Squares as well in Strechnitz. Glad you like them. :)

Schulmanator Hello and welcome Schulmanator, I'm glad that you like my little MD. The retainingwalls are my own creation. and yes, I'll try to keep up the great work  ;D don't be a stranger now.

As you al know religion in any form or way plays an important part in any society now or in bygone times. Some people believe in a higher power, some don't. This update will shed light on Simeonism which is the (fictitious) State religion of the Neo-Byzantinian Empire of Stropon. As always I use real history as a starting point to entwine it with whatever suits me to tell Stroponian History. So be careful with what you accept as historical facts. often the borders are not clearly defined.

If you are insulted or offended by anything in this update, please bear in mind that this is pure fiction. I never meant to hurt anyone or ridicule any of the faiths implied here. You are urged, however, to raise your complaints via PM. 

Okidoki lets start.

The Adoration of the Holy Virgin and Child

As you will perhaps know, the Stroponian Empire was founded by the self-proclaimed heir of the Byzantine Empire after the destruction of the latter in 1453. This means that the Imperial court and the elite who survived this event were Christians. Orthodox Christians, to be precise, as the Greek-Christians were called after the great Schism.

Well now, the Byzantine Emperor used to be the highest authority in the church, much like the Pope in the Roman Catholic community. The Patriarch of Constantinople was little more than a palace chaplain. After the demise of the Byzantine Empire the Patriarch saw an opportunity to increase his power and declared himself (or rather have himself declared by his bishop friends) as the head of the Orthodox Christian World. Rejecting the heir of the Last Emperor who had found refuge in Rome as the true heir to the throne.

That heir was nobody else but Augustus Heraclius who tried, and failed, to reclaim the Byzantine Empire. He did however conquer the lands of Stropon and founded a new Empire then and there. The loss of the religious primacy however was a large blow to the imperial Dignity. His Successor, Victor Otto I, tried to regain the honour but the Orthodox Christians had by that time already accepted the authority of the Patriarchs of Constantinople, or Istanbul as it was changed to under Ottoman rule. All the Emperor's attempts were in vain.

His Imperial Majesty Hector Friedrich V, Emperor of Stropon

The population of the Empire consisted of a mixture of Roman Catholic Christians, Greek Orthodox Christians, and some minor Jewish and Muslim communities. For the rickety new Empire such a mixture posed a threat. The Byzantine Empire has always had difficulties in controlling the different factions within her former borders who were all Greek Orthodox Christians. Now the situation was even more delicate for, since 1054 CE, Greek Orthodox and Roman Catholic Christians weren't the best of neighbours when it came to religious issues.

Stropon has always regarded Religion as a private matter and at the same time as a political tool. Centuries before, the Bishops of Rome established themselves as Pontifices Maximi, or "Highest of Priests" of the Roman Catholic Christian World, which had always been contested by the Greek Orthodox Christian World as they had their Emperor and, later, the Patriarch of Istanbul, who laid claim to the supreme authority of the Church.

So what to do? For a long time the successive Emperors licked their wounds over the matter or tried to regain the prestigious aura of being the successor of Christ incarnate. Everything in vain though, and not surprisingly either.

But then in the 16th and 17th centuries the vast and terrible wars broke out in Europe following the Reformation. Clashes between Catholics and Reformed rulers and populations occurred, yet again, splitting the Christian World. The Greek Christian world was further dealt a severe blow in the East as many had turned themselves to the Islamic faith. In addition to this the Orthodox Christian world split into Greek and Russian Orthodox factions, further harming the authority and credibility of the Church. So little unity was remained in the Christian World, or what was left of it. The once, more or less, uniform continent with regards to religious conviction was shattered into a plethora of beliefs, churches and denominations, many  of them, not surprisingly, challenging the truths or validity of the others. 

Would it not be great to find a new Gospel? Unifying all the different beliefs, which ultimately worship the same Higher Power, into a new religion?

His Eminence Heinrich Friedrich, Arch Bishop of Strechnitz

This exact notion occurred to two men in the early 18th century. They were Emperor Hector Friedrich V and the Strechnitzian Archbishop of the Roman Catholic Church, Heinrich Friedrich. The former intent on increasing his power beyond the Stroponian borders without the use of force, and the latter brooding on revenge after having had a big row with the Vatican over denying him the office of Pontiff he so yearned for.

The Revelation of Saint Simeon

A monk dressed in green with a red cloak, on his way to a sanctuary, travelling through Stropon had a vision, a revelation in which the Virgin Mary spoke to him ordering him to build her a church to unite the Diaspora of Christians. He undertook this sacred task and started to carry it out in Stropon. His name was of course...Simeon.

Although Stropon has a history of religious tolerance it does not react well to troublemakers or dissenters. Especially if they have a religious agenda. The local Authorities hunted him down and pestered him, whilst many priests and bishops turned their flock against his teachings of tolerance. Despite these setbacks, however, his followers grew slowly but surely, mainly amongst the peasantry. Furthermore even some of his greatest critics within the clergy warmed to the ideas he preached with so much fervour. 

After a while the comings and goings of the heretic monk fell upon the illustrious ears of the Archbishop who, after some deliberations, discussed it with his brother the Emperor. They both had a good laugh, and changed the subject.

But the subject could not let go of either of the men... what if... what if, indeed?

They came together again and spoke about it for hours and days on end, they spoke about how they could use Simeon to further their own purposes, and about the possibility of using his so-called revelations (which they still did not believe to be true) to bring more glory to the Imperial House. They formed the plan to adopt the words of Simeon as the truth and make it the basis of a religion which would ultimately unite the Eastern and Western Christian Worlds into one truly Catholic (i.e. Universal) Church which would span the entire European Continent. Their vision included Simeon as a prophet, and the Archbishop and Emperor, respectively, as the new Peter and Paul. The wheels were put in motion.  Heinrich Friedrich gathered his followers amongst the higher clergy and started to change the religious structure of the land, ensuring that priests and prelates turned their devotion towards the new Gospel of Unity, as preached by Simeon. This had not, however, gone unnoticed by the Vatican, who denounced the monk as a heretic and warned the Emperor and the Archbishop of possible Excommunication and Eternal Damnation if they refused to repent of their heretical views.

The Emperor's divine revelation

Upon receiving the news of the threats made by the Vatican, the Archbishop and Emperor announced that the Emperor had received a revelation from the Holy Father to accept Simeon as a true prophet. Further trying to solidify their hold, the Archbishop planned to drive up to the location where the monk preached, accompanied with all the pomp and ceremonial decoration possible, to fall at the feet of the monk and declare him a true prophet in name of the Emperor – The Most Christian Ruler of them all. These events were naturally followed by an immense increase in Simeon's followers.

The continued preaching by Simeon, indeed, the mere existence of this 'prophet' started to be a problem to the Emperor and his Archbishop. Clerics in the service of Heinrich Friedrich wrote down every word of Simeon to quickly assemble a Holy Book, of course inserting passages on the supposed Divine Nature of the Stroponian Emperor as a true representative of the Word of God, and the Archbishop of Strechnitz as the highest representative of God on earth. When Simeon found out about these and other alterations he denied them and resisted them fervently, maintaining that human politics and ideas should not stain the divine. This did not prevent the two rulers, however, from being swayed by the sweet scent of omnipotent power, omnipotent power they were most definitely not considering to throw away.

In short, the poor monk was a nuisance and had to be 'disposed' of. Ironically reality had his Esteemed Protectors become his Executioners, who undertook his demise. For he would be of better use if he became a Martyr.

Saint Simeon in the hands of his Executioners

Legend, though, tells a different tale. Simeon went on travelling and spread his Word far and wide, one day to be greeted by a local gang of bandits with torture, and finally murder most foul. Whether or not this atrocity was ordered by or paid for by the Emperor and the Archbishop will never be truly known, what can be said, though, is that this suited them quite well.

The holy assencion of Saint Simeon.

After his death they proclaimed Simeon a saint who blatantly affronted the Roman Catholic Pope in Rome. Hector Friedrich V finalised the breach with Rome by adopting Simeonism as a State Religion and Heinrich Friedrich declared himself the Pontifex Maximus Simeonis. Many living within the borders of Stropon converted to the new religion as the Book of Simeon was widely read and the teachings of Simeonism took hold. This teaching was very clear – it does not matter whether one worships icons, relics, or simply the word in the Holy Scripture, one worships one and the same thing and the form is less relevant. Accordingly Emperor Hector Friedrich and his successors became `Holy Emperors` and Heinrich Friedrich and his successors became 'Supreme High Prelates'.

The find of the uncorrupted body of Saint Simeon

Years later the body of Saint Simeon was found wrapped and buried in a small cape near the  Federn River Estuary where the river ends into the Mediterranean Sea. His body was supposedly untouched by decay or rot, proving and strengthening the case of the Holy Emperor and Supreme High Prelate. They built a huge cathedral, the Simeoneum, on the spot and around it grew the City of Simeonopole – The centre of worship of the new religion. Unfortunately  though for the two power hungry, Simeonism did not catch on outside the borders of the Empire and their plans to unite east and west under Stroponian patronage failed immensely.

The Crypt of Saint Simeon under the Simeoneum in Simeonopole.

And so concludes the tale of the Origin and Rise of Simeonism – the State Religion of Stropon. This historical update also serves as a preface to the showcase of Simeonopole which is to follow soon!

Pat

Strech that was a very good historical update and very informative  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

btw welcome to pg 13 my friend.... hopefully its a luckie page lol