• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ridchester (Late Roman: 120 AD - 450 AD)

Started by DragonsBay, April 29, 2009, 08:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonsBay

Welcome to Ridchester, a fictional city based on London, UK. Be part of its epic tale as it grows. Please read page 1 to begin.

Read this first!
Ridchester's story starts some time in the 7th century BC, so some (indeed, most) architectural styles and technology will not accurately reflect the period of time in the story. Replacements and the wonderful BATs created by others will be used to compensate. Still, you will have to use your imagination as you read the story. I will try to be as accurate as possible in other factors impacting on Ridchester's growth.

This is my first Mayor's Diary (and indeed, the first SimCity 4 region that I am going to seriously plan and play, inspired by you peeps here!). Please provide comments and criticisms as I go along. Thanks and enjoy!

Links to original content (opens a new window):
1. 2000 BC - 800 BC: Pre-history (this post)
2. 800 BC - 43 AD: Celtic
3. 43 AD: The Roman Conquest
4. 50 AD - 120 AD: Early Roman
5. 120 AD - 450 AD: Late Roman

Geography
Ridchester is located on the banks of the River Fruce, at the south eastern corner of Bainart. It is approximately 25 miles inland from the Bainish Sea.

Location of Ridchester in Bainart

Aerial view of Ridchester Plain

2,000 BC: The Ridchester Plain area are settled by Stone Age tribes, who build a stone circle at the bend of the river in the east. But by the time the Iron Age arrives, the tribes have disappeared into history, leaving only the stone circle to prove that they had ever lived here.

The stone circle

The region remained uninhabited for several centuries, before migrants from the Continent began to cross the Wessan Channel to settle here.

Acknowledgements
Game map: MallowTheCloud
Stone circle: official landmark download

rooker1

Hello Tim,

Welcome to SC4D nad what a great first post.
Fantastic map and the little history so far is very good.

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

DragonsBay

800 BC: A tribe of Celts, the Ferii (Latin for 'fierce'), arrive from the Continent. Led by their leader Cadeyrn, they build a small village on the banks of a small brook that leads out to the main river. At low tide, the brook can be forded on foot, so they call the settlement Rhyd (pronounced "reed"), which means 'ford'.

The village of Rhyd, 800 BC

500 BC: The Ferii grow crops, such as wheat and barley, and rear cattle for a living. The harvests are good, and they name the river ffrwythlon afon, which means "fertile river". The river also brings trade from across the region, even from the Continent. Eventually, what started as a few huts becomes a large village and an important trading post.

Rhyd, 500 BC

300 BC: The strategic location of Rhyd means that it is constantly attacked by other tribes. The chieftain, Aedan, builds a hill fort on the mouth of the brook south of the village to control and protect the region.

Aerial view of Rhyd and Aedan's fort, 250 BC

Meanwhile, hundreds of miles away in the south, a mighty power begins a steady northward expansion into the Continent: Rome.

52 BC: Roman general Julius Caesar decisively defeats the Graulic Celts in at the Battle of Amnesia. The Romans conquer Graul, and many Graulic Celts emigrate to south east Bainart.

Vercingetorix, chieftain of the Graulish Celts, surrenders to Caesar.

50 BC - 40 AD: As the population in south east Bainart increases dramatically, resources such as land become scarce. Eventually the refugees clash with the native population, upsetting the political stability across southern Bainart.

Meanwhile, the Roman appetite for expansion hasn't been satisfied. As the Celts on Bainart squabble among themselves, the Romans eye the rich and fertile Bainart...

Roman Republic, 1 AD

Acknowledgements
Walls: jeronij
Painting: Vercingetorix throws down his arms at the feet of Julius Caesar, by Lionel Noel Royer, in 1899
Cattle: boon1234

TopCliff

Excellent history. Since we're way back when in the times of Romans, will we go past the present? Other than that, I have one or two suggestions. First off would be a terrain and water mod, and then turning off the labels and signs when taking pictures. Can't wait to see more!
Best movie of all time: Ferris Bueller's Day Off. If you disagree, Cameron will send your car over a cliff.

Please, call me Leo.  I quote John Lennon now, a great musician and philosopher. Particularly, one of his songs: You may say I'm a dreamer. But I'm not the only one. I hope someday you join us, and the world will live as one.

Luke09

its looking that will be a nice MD  :) ,its already good,i liked how you made the celtic tribe,good look and keep it goin  :thumbsup:
Tu és
Time de tradição,raça,amor e paixão,
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

I9113N

Very nice. It is interesting to think "My ancestors could of lived in a hut like that"  :P (yes I am Celtic) But like TopCliff said a terrain and water mod, and optionally a tree controller would be great. I don't mind the labels that much. I'll keep following this MD, and I am looking forward to the next update.  :thumbsup: Great work so far.

Luke09

AS I9113N said,a water mod,terrain mod,and tree mod,would be great  $%Grinno$%
Tu és
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

Albus of Garaway

This looks wonderful! As others have said, water/terrain/tree mods would do wonders, but the history makes up for it (For now).

WC_EEND

looks really promising, i'm curious
RIP Adrian (adroman), you were a great friend

My LOT thread                                    

SCAG BAe146/Avro RJ Project

BarbarossaS

Excellent history and great job on making it look very realistic! I study history and I love the way you built those villages on a hill, near a river, or with a small moat. Exactly how it would've been in earlier days!  &apls &apls

Also:
QuoteFirst off would be a terrain and water mod, and then turning off the labels and signs when taking pictures.
I wouldn't do this. I like those signs, as they tell you what is where.

-Stijn-

kwakelaar

This is interesting, I love this kind of historic development for MD's. The maps you have been making are giving a good oversight over the situation you describe. I will certainly try to follow this. :)

DragonsBay

Replies to comments
Thank you for all your comments, advice and encouragement! I'm not sure whether I will take Ridchester beyond the present, but there is a lot of history to get through before I can even use the more advanced functions on SimCity 4 such as automobiles and public transport (unfortunately it's a game that discriminates against history...).

With regard to the environment mods, I will experiment with them (and try to come up with some kind of historical excuse to justify the alterations in the landscape!), but because several updates have already been composed, I will just publish them, and the changes will not be reflected until later updates.

43 AD: The competition of land in south east Bainart come to a head. After a longstanding dispute with the Ferii, a rival tribe, the Tabearts, launches a surprise attack and sets fire to the fields around Rhyd.

The burning of Rhyd's field

That triggers all-out war between the Ferii and the Tabearts. The Tabearts appeal to Rome, their allies, for help. Under this pretext, the Roman emperor Claudius sends four legions to conquer Bainart. They land on the south coast. The Celts' hastily patched up resistance crumbles against the might of the Romans, who rapidly push up the countryside towards Ridchester Plain.

The final stand by the Ferii and their allies is made at Rhyd, and after a drawn out and bloody siege, Aedan's fort is taken by the Romans and razed to the ground. Although the Ferii are defeated, their fierceness in battle awes Claudius. He decides to spare the lives of the villagers of Rhyd as a sign of good will (and encouraging other Celts to surrender instead of fight).

The battle of Ridchester Plain

The destruction of Aedan's fort

After Aedan's fort is conquered, the rest of Ridchester Plain and south east Bainart is quickly subdued by the Romans.

The extent of the Roman conquest of Bainart, 50 AD

Acknowledgements
Illustration: http://warandgame.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/celtic-warriors-2.jpg

Luke09

omg ROMAN SOLDIERS,RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!Nice update  :thumbsup:
Tu és
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

I9113N

Very cool, although I never knew a city that small could hold so much territory.  :D Looks nice, looking forward to the terrain mod updates.  :thumbsup:

danielcote

Exellent storey so far!  &apls  &apls  &apls  &apls

BarbarossaS

Roma Victor! Poor little Celts, they don't stand a chance against the might of the Roman Empire.
Love the update, keep 'm coming!  &apls &apls

-Stijn-

antimonycat

I love the historical approach you've got here. You've got my attention and I'm really looking forward to seeing how the city grows.  &apls

JJ

This is an attention grabbing md for mayor and one i will follow :)

DragonsBay

OOC Note: Terrain changes apply from this update. Please comment!

Luke09: Thanks.  :)

I9113N: Yeah...the Romans were good.

danielcote: Thanks!

BarbarossaS: Ha...no they don't. Thank you.

antimonycat: I really enjoy urban history, especially London's. I think organic cities are much more interesting to write about.

JJ: Thanks!

Now, the update...

50 AD: With south east Bainart pacified, the Romans plan to build a capital city to administer the new province, which they call Benevia, after the Latin word benevolentia, or "good will", to commemorate Emperor Claudius's pardon of the village of Rhyd.

The Romans recognise the strategic importance of the Rhyd area: it is where the Ffrwythlon is narrow enough to be bridged, yet still deep enough for ocean-going ships to reach. It also commands a central position in the Ridchester Plain. They call the river Fruses, a corruption of the river's Celtic name, and begin to build a city here, calling it Riddium (after Rhyd).

The laying of roads and the public forum begins at Riddium, 50 AD

60 AD: Riddium is developing on the north bank of River Fruses. An extensive road network connects the town with the rest of the province. The town is attracting merchants and immigrants from all over the Empire to trade, work and live here.

Riddium, 60 AD

70 AD: The first bridge is built across the Fruses at Riddium, concentrating local and Continental trade in the city.

Pons Riddii, the first bridge across the Fruses

Swelled by the increase in trade, Riddium continues to expand. A basilica is built on the north side of the forum to handle the growing government business of Benevia, and a theatre now serves the increasingly cultured population of Riddium.

Riddium, 80 AD

120 AD: The Roman Empire grows to its largest extent. Years of peace and good governance spurs economic development across the Empire.

The Roman Empire at its height, 120 AD

Map of Benevia, 120 AD, showing the main towns and the road network

Riddium reaches the height of its prosperity. The town is adorned with impressive buildings, including an obelisk imported from Egypt, the other corner of the Roman Empire.

Riddium at its height, 120 AD

Riddium and environs (including Rhyd), 120 AD

The fertile Ridchester Plain supports many farms and luxurious villas.

A villa in the outskirts of Riddium

However, the Pax Romana that is bringing Riddium its prosperity does not last long. Internal political instability and external incursions by barbarians on the Continent begin to threaten the empire, especially far-flung provinces such as Benevia...

Acknowledgements
Terrain: Pegasus, c.p., cycledog
Pier: arthurovitz
Markets: Sam
Buildings: psycholu, mickebear, jeronij, ripptide, giorgos69, falcon5018, agart, among many others! Please inform me if I have left you out. I will add your name here as soon as I can.

BarbarossaS

Impressive, the way you let your city evolve over time, especially because it's a Roman city!  :thumbsup:
I like the way you put the civic services(?) in there (the temples, theatre, hippodrome,...) Those are incredible BAT's, but don't quite seem to fit in in a normal (more modern) city. It is a great joy then to seeing these buildings in their "natural" environment!  &apls

-Stijn-