• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Ridchester (Late Roman: 120 AD - 450 AD)

Started by DragonsBay, April 29, 2009, 08:31:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Luke09

On each Update,its get better and better  &apls
Tu és
Time de tradição,raça,amor e paixão,
Ó meu mengo...
Eu,sempre te amarei,
Onde estiver estarei
Ó meu mengo

CommodoreTech

oh my god!

You've realized my dream!
I've always wanted to see this sort of CJ!

I'm really happy to see it done well also.

Well done!

Very excited about next update!
-Ben-

JJ

What I love about this is it gives the city a history that we have been through and experienced in other mds yes people will talk about historical events in the cities past but we won't have seen the city develop over years which is what I love so much, it gives the city a history that we'll have experienced making for a wonderful story.

sebes

Yes!!!! These are my favorite MD's, starting way back in history and growing the present (or beyond that even...). You did a great job. Especially the early Rhyd settlement and the first Roman village made me stare at my screen in awe....

I have a feeling where this MD will end next month if you continue like this!  :thumbsup:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

kwakelaar

Very nice update again, I like how you have placed the big temple complex on a hill overlooking the city.

DragonsBay

Sorry for the lack of updates the past few days. Work and other things in life have taken over. I assure you that the story of Riddium still goes on, but I will reply to comments first as it'd be a bit rude not to (and as a bid to keep this going, I suppose).

BarbarossaS: I really have psycholu to thank, because his/her Roman BATs inspired me to pursue this journal in the first place. If not, I'd have been too noobie to BAT myself.

Luke09: Thank you. I hope I keep it up.

CommodoreTech: Thank you. I've always been interested in urban development history, and bemoaned the lack of games that allowed simulated real historical development. So discovering SimCity 4 and other people's BATs was really nice. It gave me the chance to realise my dream as well.

JJ: Thank you. I noticed the niche in the market and grabbed the chance...

sebes: Thanks. As I said previously, there's a lot of history to go through before I end up in modern times. So I'm not sure how far Ridchester will go. We'll see...we'll see. If you're talking about what I'm thinking about...I'll be thrilled.  &hlp

kwakelaar: Thanks. I had planned to leave that hill uninhabited for that period, but a flash of inspiration hit me.

I promise that the next update is coming; it's just still in the works...

DragonsBay

190 AD: Emperor Commodus dies without issue, triggering a succession crisis. Septimus Albinus, Commodus' nephew and governor of Benevia, amasses his legions to fight for the throne. Before he sails for the Continent, Albinus builds a defensive wall around Riddium and establishes a fort on the site of the old Celtic hill fort to defend his capital city. For a while, the building of the wall and the fort spurs economic activity in Riddium. However, it was not to last.

Riddium, 200 AD

205 AD: Albinus is defeated after a battle in southern Gaul against rival claimant Clodius Severus, who becomes emperor himself. Severus reasserts imperial authority over Benevia, and he decides to split the province into two and limit the number of legions posted here to reduce the power of individual governors.

Map of Benevia, 210 AD

Severus' decision has a negative impact on Riddium, even though it remains the provincial capital of Bevenia Superior. The reduced number of troops is concentrated on defending the north from the Scallis, and less money is spent on Riddium. The city enters a period of slow decline.

200 AD – 290 AD: The political and economic situation across the empire worsens. Barbarians are now pouring into the empire, while the internal political situation is as messy as ever. Inflation is also beginning to run rampant, damaging the empire's economy. In Riddium, a new threat arrives from the east: Wessan pirates are increasingly raiding the countryside around Riddium, and harassing the trade between Benevia and the continent.

290 AD – 300 AD: With the empire crumbling from the insides, it was a matter of time before a second rebellion occurred in Benevia. The two governors of Benevia agree to declare independence from Rome, but they squabble between themselves over who should become emperor, and the rebellion is put down. Emperor Diocletian divides the empire into four, and further divides Benevia further into four provinces. Diocletian also orders the decommissioning of Riddium's fort and demolishes the grandest public buildings.

Riddium, 300 AD

Map of Benevia, 300 AD

300 AD – 410 AD: With administration and trade now dispersed across the province, and as increasing attacks by the Wessans take their toll, Riddium shrinks to a small settlement clustered around the bridge. In 410 AD, the last of the Roman troops on Benevia are recalled to the Continent to fight the barbarians. With no effective government and unable to resist the strong and frequent Wessan invasions, residents of Riddium begin to move out en masse. Within a generation, the town is completely abandoned.

Riddium, 400 AD

Riddium, 450 AD

Acknowledgements
Walls: jbbry232, Serjean, roulback
Barracks: Adm Lee J.E. Braden
Ruins: mrbisonm, guinea, Habibi_Joe, delija21

BarbarossaS

So sad to see this beautiful city decline and fall  :( But the way you tell it is just awesome!  &apls
I'm really in love with the history of this place, and all credits go to you, you've got some skill making a MD!  :thumbsup:

Can't wait to see the early Middle Ages creep in on Riddium (if the city is going to be rebuilt of course)

-Stijn-

I9113N

Wow! Very nice! I also love to see how the decline of an empire takes its toll on the average city. Can't wait to see more!  :thumbsup:

sebes

Excellent update... and.. a clever way how to prepare your city for future developments  :P

Looking forward to the next update in this great history lesson :satisfied:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

Nexis4Jersey

I can feel the yee old feel coming of this MD, great job!  &apls

kwakelaar

Seems like an accurate account of what happened on the British isles with the break down of the Roman Empire. So where did the people of Riddium go?
Nice update and looking forward to your next.

calibanX

Your CJ Rocks DragonsBay. I started reading about those stone age folks and I got sucked in. I'm anxiously waiting to see what comes next. Great idea here.

Geoff
Where City and Country Flow Together

CommodoreTech

A brilliant update. Shame it was abandoned.

I'm looking forward to seeing how Riddium becomes resettled, and why.
-Ben-

Battlecat

This is a really neat approach!  I'm looking forward to seeing how the remnants of that roman city impact the next iteration.  If you look at a lot of European cities, the design of their downtown core has been strongly impacted by decisions made by the Romans!  I'm looking forward to seeing what's next!

DragonsBay

Only replies to comments for now, I'm afraid...

BarbarossaS : Thank you.  :)

I9113N : Thanks. Accounting for the wider world's impact on the development of the city is actually the hardest part of the story to craft.

sebes : Haha. Thanks. Nothing clever about it, really. Kind of sad to watch it go...

Nexis4Jersey : Thank you so much.

kwakelaar : It's more like a simplified account. The history is really intriguing (and complicated). Your question will be answered soon...

calibanX : Thanks.  :)

CommodoreTech: Hehe...the answer isn't far off now...

Battlecat : Indeed. London, the city I'm basing Ridchester on, is such a city! But you might be in a bit of a surprise soon...

I can confirm that post-Roman Ridchester is in the works. But crafting the story is proving to be a bit difficult, as the historical record around this period is a bit sketchy. Also, it's a new architectural style, with very little ready-made BATs to borrow and adapt. With my chosen focus on the history, I'm afraid that it is difficult to also focus on the aethestics. But anyway, hopefully the wait won't be that long. Thanks for all your encouragement and interest in Ridchester! *bows*

DebussyMan

Very interesting MD, love history-based themes.
I like your resourceful approach, which has given very nice results. I assume you will be heading towards the middle ages soon; If you need any building in particular, I'm known for taking some interesting requests  ;)

Visit my new MD: Emerita Augusta 1910 - http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=15184.0

just_a_guy

Nice MD! I really like how you tell the whole story to the area. (It sure beats reading a 500 page hitsory book with extra small print ;D)

It'll be interesting to see what happens next
Come and check out my BATting works at:

Just_a_Guy's attempts at BATing

serebii666

I love these types of MDs. I will follow this.
"If Kyle has 3 apples and is shorter that John who has 7 and if John is taller than Jenny who just graduated from Harvard, how old is Karen?"

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><

bat

Fantastic work on your MD here! And nice pictures! Looking forward to more... ;)