• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

The Lower Countries

Started by I9113N, March 09, 2009, 05:04:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I9113N

A Detailed Look at the Latusian Postal System

Inspired by the postcard...  :D

Mailing Process:

• Civilian buys letter.
  • Sendee goes to local post office to get envelope addressed.
  • Post office prints return address, receiving address, return/receiving country's flag, and any special symbols.
  • Sendee buys stamp, places it on envelope; then places content inside of the envelope.
  • Sendee sends mail via post office.
  • Mail is sent to receiver.

There are, however, certain requirements that need to be fulfilled in order to send the letter. If any one of these is not fulfilled, the sendee gets an ‡L 20 fine, plus an additional ‡L 5 for any other missing requirements. These requirements include a valid address, valid country flags, valid postmark, and a valid ID code. The ID code is used in case any of these requirements are not met. The ID code is the number of a file on the postal service's computer network which shows exactly who bought the envelope and where he/she lives. I should mention that you can only buy envelopes at the post office; as only the post office makes the country flags and prints the ID codes.
     But of course, this raises the question, what if someone where to fake an ID code on a fake envelope? Well, the post office's scanning system will cross-reference envelopes and ID codes and other things such as class, special symbols, and most importantly, date. The date is imprinted on the envelope's basic sender's address.
     One thing that you may be wondering about is that code in all of the addresses. It is always last, and it is sort of like the post office's signature. The first number is always going to be a 2, 5, 4, or 3. 2 is for the Eastboard, 5 for the Northwest, 4 is for the Southwest, and 3 is for the Midlands. The second number identifies what country the post office is in. The second number is anything between 1 and 14, listing the countries in no particular order (1-Auchtenaliastov, 2-Kanne, 3-Dostrovek, 4-Malia, 5-The Falkands, 6-Pol-Monterre, 7-New Ammel, 8-Jonkoland, 9-Ementrosia, 10-Svierestal, 11-Korgia, 12-Datsun, 13-Hunsinia, 14-Neva) The third number is for the province, and fourth is the city. In the specific addresses, the number is followed by two dashes and a two-digit number. This number identifies what post office it is.

So, we could have, for example:

An envelope from Jane Doe, who lives in St. Galliva, Abaroskia, Pol-Monterre. Her post office number is 51, and she lives in apartment 14, Jaspa St. So, her envelope's sender's address code would look like this.

46316--51

4-6-3-16--51

The fourth region (SW), the sixth country (Pol-Monterre), the third province (Abaroskia), in the sixteenth city (St. Galliva), from the 51st post office.

And a lovely illustration putting it all into practice:

Swesim

This was something new to me in an MD, detailed procedure on how to send mail...
It seems rather bureaucratic however to have to go to a postoffice to buy and send Your mail, but I suppose it make for an excellent reason to increase the email traffic which I suppose is also somehow controlled by some authority.  ;D
Here in Sweden in real life all email traffic crossing the borders of the country are subject to the auhorities watchful eyes should they find a reason for it...

I9113N

BarbarossaS: Thanks. There was a lot of terraforming that had to be done in order to place those canals.

Swesim: In the LU, forging mail is a big crime. Those precautions are done to authenticate the mail and the sender.

You are where?

There, silly!  ()stsfd()

Pol-Monterre Part 1, Rural Poland

First thing first: I got sick of urban, and decided to show some of rural (not the earth one) Poland.

Flag:

The white triangles of this flag represent purity, as the Monterrians are known for being pro-Puritan. The green represents the vast forests that cover the Polish Plains and provide a major source of income for the country. The red bands stand for courage and the Polish people, and the crest stands for bravery. The words Marra ca Niftalo -- Senna la Ponozto translate into All our Roads -- Lead to the Senna "La Senna" is a large temple in the capital city of Senna. It played a major role in Pol-Monterre's future during the breakup of the Svierstal Islands and during the period of time when the LU was just beginning to take shape.

Economy:

The economy of Pol-Monterre is based on industry, the leading of which is the lumber and paper. The country also exports large amounts of electricity to the Svierestal Islands and the Falkands.

Language:

Pol-Monterre's official languages are Monterrian, English, and Raczuat. Monterrian is closely related to the Earth language French, while Raczuat (pronounced Rah-CHOO-aht) can be compared to the fusion of German and Polish. Raczuat is spoken mostly on the coast of Poland.

Today we will be looking at the rural are of Poland. The area borders the large Katujev Forest made up almost entirely of lodgepole pines. The are is home to five small towns: Lé Sciona, Ascona-Çeteaux, (not sure if this is right) Shimaneaux, Dorfbourg, and Knightingsand. Today we will be visiting most of Lé Sciona and the outskirts of Ascona-Çeteaux. This region is crisscrossed with many railroads and B roads plus one A (autoroute) road. Don't mind the numbers on the labels of B and A roads, I'll get into that later.

Note: Almost all of these images are not photoshopped, save for text and border.

(the mosaic was shrunk for some reason so its size had to be increased &mmm )

ThatGuy

Nice update. It reminds me of the town that my uncle lives in. The mosaic is beautiful, and the cows... I love cows.

bat

Great pictures in that wonderful update there! Beautiful work on that area! It looks wonderful! :thumbsup:

Nardo69

Nice update - you do know how to make rural areas!  &apls

And your work with the RRP is surely better than my clumsy tries.

HOWEVER

I don't know much of Poland - mainly the connection between Warsaw and Torún as well as Torún itself but I cannot remember that there was only one level crossing on the national road betweem Warsaw and Torún at all.  ()sad()

It might be difficult to have an overpass at Ascona-Çetaux but I know you'll find a better way for that layout.

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

(PS: The reasons for that big however can be found with a click in my sig ;) )

Nexis4Jersey

wow , interesting update , love the mosaic , the highway look great  :)

metarvo

Wow, this is so easy on the eyes.  You have done some good work here, I9113N.  The RHW is well done, and the signs are also quite nice.

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

I9113N

although it is not update day, I have to reply to Nardo69's post:

Quote from: Nardo69HOWEVER

I don't know much of Poland - mainly the connection between Warsaw and Torún as well as Torún itself but I cannot remember that there was only one level crossing on the national road betweem Warsaw and Torún at all.   ()sad()

It might be difficult to have an overpass at Ascona-Çetaux but I know you'll find a better way for that layout.

Bernhard   :thumbsup:

(PS: The reasons for that big however can be found with a click in my sig  ;) )

I must have forgotten to remind people that this is not real life Earth Poland. The only reason that this area is named Poland is because I like the name and at that time had a complete blank when naming it, save for already existing names.  :) Sorry if I took your post the wrong way.

Nardo69

Answer accepted - you know there are so many fine MDs here from Germany's eastern neighbour that I thought this would be a polish MD, too.

On the other hand there's still that level crossing on the highway ... It has been a while that I wrote a large text with lots of examples and picture about level crossings that become the start of my "Thoughts" - thread that might have changed a lot of peoples style to the better. If you read it you might understand my a bit harsh reaction to that level crossing. ;)

danielcote

You have a great transport system and those wind mills fill in nicely.

I9113N

ThatGuy: Thanks. I happen to near some cows, and do not really like them. Well, as long as the car window is closed they're okay.  ;)

bat: Thank you.  :)

Nardo69: Thanks! I am not really that good, but that's what happens when someone's sick of urbanism. But I am unfamiliar with the RRP.

Nexis4Jersey: Thank you. The RHW takes awhile to make, and there are still some bugs in it.  :)

metarvo: Thanks. I really like those signs. Unlike other signs, the base texture doesn't dissapear when you put them on a slope.

danielcote: Thank you. I like the windmills myself. I just realized that they are only in one picture.  :D

Pol-Monterre Part 1b, The Reworking of an Exit...

Well, after having a look at Nardo69's "thoughts" thread, and seeing the very large red print...  :-[ I have decided to redo the intersection between Ascona-Çeteaux and the A 4-2. Here we have the old intersection:

And the old Autoroute end:

The major problems that face the proposed reworking of this intersection are:

1: There is a rail line just before the intersection, which shouldn't cross the highway at all.  :-[

2: There is a limited amount of space; a town to the south, rail to the west, rail to the north (not shown) and the "end" of the SC4 tile to the east.

So, I decided to first create an underpass that goes under the rail line.

Then, I decided to use the RHW B style exit for the offramp to Ascona-Çeteaux, and an A style onramp that leads off of the B road to Ascona-Çeteaux:

Before:

After:

Now I needed a way to connect the onramp and the B road. So, I built a one-way overpass that goes over the beginnings of the A 4-2:

Finally, I added some flora and signage to create the final product:

So, now if you were heading to Ascona-Çeteaux, you would take the exit onto the B road. If you were heading to either Lé Sciona or Knightingsand (not shown) you would follow the B road over the RHW and onto the A 4-2. The only problem is that a B road can't just turn into a one-way road, so instead there is a "must turn left" sign, followed by a dead end sign. Past the dead end sign is a simple street that just, well, ends.

Before:

After:

A much more proper end to an autoroute. Although somewhat messy, but that is just due to lack of space.

I9113N

First off, I think I forgot to mention that the last post by me was supposed to be an update. I am confident that you all looked at it anyways, even if you didn't reply.  :) I have to confess that the Lower Countries isn't going as well as it should be. With the end of the school year drawing near, I have had continually less and less time to spend making updates, let alone Daily Latys. So, I have planned a very large update for when school gets out, and that should content all of you for a while. I am currently trying to get a Daily Laty scraped together, but don't expect much more for a few days.  :)

Thanks for hanging around.  :D

thundercrack83

Congratulations, I9113N!

- The Staff

bat

Nice work and congratulations for that award! Looking forward to more... ;) &apls

Battlecat

Congratulations on your award!  Certainly well deserved.   &apls

Nice job on the highway in your latest update, there are some excellent rural scenes in here as well.  Looking forward to seeing what's next. 

io_bg

Congratulations on your award! The last update is really nice!
Visit my MD, The region of Pirgos!
Last updated: 28 November

Nardo69

Congratulation for the OSITM!

It is well deserved (especially after your encounter with the very large red print  :D )

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

I9113N

Page 6! And 100 Replies!      TLC has made it into the Best Sellers!  ;D

wow... wasn't expecting that!  $%Grinno$% Before replies here is the latest Daily Laty, Traveler's Special.

Notes: Sorry about the train, that one looked the best.  :D And think of Fasca as Airbus. Yes, that is the A380.  :P And now you see where the Communist Party comes in... The LU is quite government-controlled.

edit: You can still reply, the next update will be on Friday.