• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Great Big Gobs of Goober

Started by SimGoober, February 12, 2009, 11:02:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimGoober

Well, I figured it's about time I started a formal thread over here, so here it is. 

My most current project was inspired by some pics posted by Hogmeister, of the City of Paris Drygoods building. 

Here is a current picture of it, still under construction....

A little history, as provided by the Hogmeister....

QuoteHere is a great little department store which is alas no more. The City of Paris Dry Goods Company was one of the principle upmarket department stores in San Francisco from 1850 until 1976. The store was built in 1896 to a designed by architect Clinton Day and rebuilt after the fire of 1906 (its frontages survived intact even though its interior was destroyed) and had a frontage of 137.5 ft on both Geary and Stockton Streets and consisted of 6 floors (a total elevation of 101 ft) and a basement level. It was one of the first examples in San Francisco of the Beaux- Arts style using steel framing with masonry infill for its basic structure. The company was founded by Felix Verdier in 1850 and traces its name back to when he arrived in San Francisco on a ship called the Ville de Paris (City of Paris) with a consignment of silks, laces, fine wines, champagne and Cognac.
The store remained under the control of the Verdier family until its closure in 1972 due to losses. It reopened for a while under new ownership before finally closing in 1976. It was demolished in 1981 and replaced by a post modernist Box for Neiman Marcus, though the original ornate rotunda and stained glass skylight under a glass dome was preserved and moved to the corner of the new building that faces Union Square.

And a picture of the origonal one...

I am not intending to dupplicate this fully.  Just using it as inspiration.

When life just blows ... Fukitol!

Earth quake

Tadammm!!

A thread for your bat SimGoober, nice news.  &apls

This new bat is really excellent and detailed.
I love.

Excellent work.

Pat

Hey there SG its great to see a devolpment thread here!!! I am liking what I see so far here.... OOh bTw love the title to your thread  :D

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

metarvo

It's great to see that you've started a BAT thread here, SimGoober.  Your commercial shops and farms have long been a mainstay in my Plugins folder, and your latest work clearly maintains this high level of quality.  Keep up the good work!

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

SimGoober

Here is a pic of another animated prop I am developing...

It is on a lot which is in testing.  It seems to be doing fine, and will be on the LEX soon...  :D

sim-al2

wait... you made a animated custom prop!? Unless some revolutionary new method has been devolped, I bet that took some work.

Edit: So a revoultionary new method has been devolped!

This is also the first release I have made using Animated Props. The cooling towers have been made using the BAB tool
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

Pat

dang that is sweet there Sg!!!

EDIT: Sg I noticed you are having problems with gif animations, why not record the new stuff ingame and then make a movie out of it and then upload it to youtube... You then can post a youtube video here directly by following this....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Gwail

The sc4 master at full schedule... Very good news!

Nice pics, SG :thumbsup:
My misc works thread:
GWL workshop

Earth quake

Wow, beautiful prop Sg.
It's very impressive.

Orange_o_

I already have to try to make an animated prop, and in my god I know the scale of the work which it represents.

Congratulation  it is very well made.   &apls

And what to say about the facade of it beats  :thumbsup:

°   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °   °  

JoeST

O M G, AWESOME

a thread of gooberiness... *faints*

your stuff is more than awesome

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

girlfromverona

An SG development thread!!

Your stuff was some of the very first custom content I ever used in SC4. It's so awesome that you're still creating.  ;D

callagrafx

Quote from: girlfromverona on February 13, 2009, 05:01:03 PM

Your stuff was some of the very first custom content I ever used in SC4. It's so awesome that you're still creating;D

Actually, this is the third "Simgoober"....The first fell down a well and the second drove off an aircraft carrier in an ageing Jaguar...
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Alfred.Jones

Quote from: callagrafx on February 14, 2009, 01:56:56 AM
Actually, this is the third "Simgoober"....The first fell down a well and the second drove off an aircraft carrier in an ageing Jaguar...

Top Gear reference? :D

That oil rig looks so awesome SG :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

BigSlark

Quote from: callagrafx on February 14, 2009, 01:56:56 AM

I would have never guessed The Stig is an American...  :D

Cheers,
Kevin

callagrafx

Quote from: BigSlark on February 14, 2009, 06:40:01 AM
I would have never guessed The Stig is an American...  :D

Cheers,
Kevin

He's not, but he has an American cousin

:D :D :D :D
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

EDGE4194

Quote from: JoeST on February 13, 2009, 01:24:29 AM
O M G, AWESOME

a thread of gooberiness... *faints*

your stuff is more than awesome

Joe
... what joe said!

Quote from: girlfromverona on February 13, 2009, 05:01:03 PM
Your stuff was some of the very first custom content I ever used in SC4. It's so awesome that you're still creating.  ;D

..you were also my first  :D     The animated oil derrick is beyond incredible and something I always wished was animated.  :o %BUd%

SimGoober

Quote..you were also my first

Well, I haven't heard THAT one in a few years (been married 15)....  :D

Anyhow, the oil derricks are nearly ready, but I found an error in my Addison Library.  It seems to also function as a super effiecient elementary school... not intended...
I am working on a fix, but anyone who currently has this one should bulldoze it.  Educational lots don't usually behave well when you mess with them under the hood... once the corrected version is ready, you'll probably need to have ths old one bulldozed before installing it....

Actually, whle figuring out how to fix it, I had an idea for a not-so-serious lot... A Cyborg school.  Instantly educates all of your sims, making them one with the collective..... $%Grinno$%  May have to play with this idea, and just see what happens when it is used in game.... ()flamdev()

allan_kuan1992

LOL...

i wonder if i can suggest rather than say a cyborg school a modern set of university buildings? =O I find Maxis and JbSimio's universities are somewhat traditional-looking.

- Allan Kuan

Simpson

Nice work in this new bat Simgoober, as well!!
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas