• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Greenacre

Started by threestooges, December 24, 2008, 03:13:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheep49

Great work with that MD, Matt! Congrats on OSITM, too! ;)

The picture is really lovely. I like the transition between industrial area and suburbs. And the way railway winds through the area is also pretty wonderful. :thumbsup:

Unfortunately, there are some things that doesn't look good to me. The street in the upper-left corner has a really awkward, steep degree when going op the height. I think one of slope mods would help. ;) Also, those two abandoned commercial buildings make the south-east area in the photo look worse than it really is. However, you can find some abandoned shops and houses everywhere in the world, so it isn't that much of the problem.

Can't wait for the next update!
Piotr
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

art128

3 great pictures Matt, the park in the last on looks fantastic my friend ;) but my favorite rest the second one , with this tower and plaza.
I really love the wall you use for the train.

Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

Simpson

Hi Matt!
I'm sorry, I missed some beautiful update my friend.
Your pictures are, as well, very réalistic.I also love the river  :thumbsup:. I'm looking forward to the next update.
Take care,

David
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

Pat

Hey Matt the last few updates have been looking real great here!!! BTW have you ever had one of those moments where you swear to god that you left a comment and you know you said something but you go to see that it never posted??? Well this is one of those moments here lol!!!! Anywho Hackenbush campground was great there and the river is exceptionaly great!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

Bit of a departure from the "norm" today. A lot of diversity, though, and rather typical of some older neighborhoods. Down around the Gulf Coast, industry - oil and gas mainly - was a kind of in-your-face part of the landscape. The green spots and red brick paths do a lot ot soften the stark effect.

Later...
Joan

paroch

Hello Matt,

Hey I've been missing a while so have some catching up to do.  Congrats on the OSITM award - very well deserved.  I've enjoyed catching up on the picures and have to say that your canal district was AWESOME.  I really enjoyed that and think you've done a very good job with it.

It's a great idea giving us the whistle stop tour of the island and all of the shots are looking good - yout TPW usage is top notch.

All the best

Paul

threestooges

Replies:
-Piotr (Sheep49): Thank you very much and welcome to Greenacre. I agree with you about the street and the commercial buildings. I don't mind the buildings too much (especially considering they're right next to some industril stuff, but I'll try to have them clean it up next time I go through. As for the street, you are completely right and that part was actually made back before I had a slope mod installed (as I've said before, this thing is old). Glad I was able to get the look of an area in transition too. Thanks for stopping by.

-Arthur (art128): Thanks. The park was made with the SFBT park set and I believe a set of paths by jeronij, and some Maxis stuff, used right, it gives good results (though I'll speak with parks and recreation about redoing the tennis courts there. Contract it out to the NUTs. Buddybud's walls (lining the tracks back on the 13th) are a really neat set to work with, and I still haven't used all the pieces in it yet. Always good to see you.

-David (Simpson): No need to apologize, it's good to see you. Which pic with the river were you referring to? there have been a couple. there was the creek by the campground (12) and the one with the bridges back in (7). I'm glad to hear they are realistic too. It's one of the things I've been working on. Here's your next update.

-Pat: Glad you've been enjoying them Pat. They've been fun to make too. I have had many moments like that my friend. There are also a number of times I want to comment, don't have the time and promptly forget about it. What can you do though? It's always good to read you, whenever you post though. I'm impressed by the number of compliments I've gotten on that creek there too, it's the original PW. Nothing too fancy, but I like the way it looks.

-Joan (Jmouse): I hadn't realized I was developing a 'norm' and I'm not sure if I can. I have to keep people like you guessing, that way you might forget about the traffic data that I still haven't shown you, heh heh (blame the people in GDOT). This area reminds me a bit of where I did my undergrad work. You could drive for five minutes down a road and go through several different neighborhoods (nice residential, commercial, not-so-nice residential, industrial, more commercial, and nice residential again) which is what this pic reminds me of. Let me know if you have any suggestions for making the transition or the industry itself more realistic.

-Paul (Paroch): Long time, no read my friend! Good to see you again. Thanks for the thought on the award. The praise for the Westport is saying a lot coming from you. I remember what you did in West End. This quick pic tour has been fun, and has helped in a number of ways. I have been wanting to show people more of the island, but didn't want to rush the full updates. This has given me the chance to do that. Also, there is something to tie it all together at the end of the month. I think you in particular might enjoy it. Until next time, hope you enjoy.

Before we begin today, there has been a theme running through the last few updates and it's not related to SC4. I'm curious to know if anyone's spotted it. If you do, let me know. I might let the first person to get it pick where we go next on our photo campaign.

A while back I had mentioned that the Greenacre government was finally expanding it's facilities. It is also centralizing them, and moving the embassies up into the area as well. Today's pic (15) comes from the soon to be former embassy district.

This station (which will likely be recreated in the new district) is the Rufus T. Firefly Memorial Station. Serviced by both the Coastliner commuter trains and the high speed network, it provides excellent regional access for diplomats as well as the folks who just live in the area. It, like most of the rest of the district, was built around the embassies. It will be interesting to see what happens now that the area's focal point will be moving.

Simpson

Hey Matt  :)
I'm talking about this river:  &apls
Quote from: threestooges on February 13, 2009, 03:51:49 AM

Very well done, so réalistic  :thumbsup:
The last update is incredible, as well  :thumbsup: I'm looking forward to the next update
Take care my friend,

David
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Sciurus

Very nice station, could I know where did you find this? ::)

So, still beautiful, but I answer what does numbers on the map serve? ()what()
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Battlecat

Wow!  Several great updates, but that train station in the latest update is just amazing.  An excellent variety of details around it blends it into the area very nicely.  The pedestrian overpass is a nice touch! 

threestooges

Replies:
-David (Simpson): Thank you very much. I was thinking about changing it a bit to add some TPW, but from the response it has received I think I'll leave it alone.Glad you've enjoyed.

-Sciurus: The station is Underworld's Cross Station which can be found on the STEX (not sure if it's on the LEX yet, but it should be). The map that has been appearing with each picture, and its numbers, are to track where we have been on the island. Each number is where in the region the corresponding pic was taken (Feb 1, is 1 on the map, Feb 2, is 2, etc). Hope that helps. Always good to see you.

-Battlecat: Thank you very much. See my response to Sciurus above if you are interested in where to find the station. The overpass is the GDV Pedestrian Overpass With Toll Function by goldiva. It functions as a toll booth (makes a nice revenue stream if needed) and just looks good. Couldn't very well have people wander across a busy avenue to get to the station. Glad you liked it. I'll keep an eye out for your next update too.

Back on the 11th, we saw the north side of South Coast. Today (16) we'll visit the south side (or perhaps you could call it east, either way...) which is over by the Loophole Inlet. There's a bit of speculation about how this body of water got its name. Some believe it is for the way it loops back around the hill there, others maintain it's named after a local attorney from the South Coast area. I'm sure there's some record somewhere, but it's fun to listen to the debates.

The southern area of South Coast is known for its beachfront mansions (don't ask how that apartment building got in there... the developers around here seem to throw up anything if it will fit sometimes. Take a good look at this pic because his is the last time we'll likely see it like this. The town has been working to install a beachfront tram for the benefit of residents and tourists to each parking congestion and traffic. Next time we swing by here, we'll likely see the tracks laid, and hopefully the system up and running. Until then, I hope you enjoy.

Simpson

Nice work in this new update Matt :thumbsup:, the beach look super, very nice houses my friend :thumbsup:
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Sciurus

Ah ok for numbers, and for the station too :thumbsup:
Very good (update or preview? ;D)

Guillaume.
L'atelier d'architecture
* * * * * Longwy * * * * *

Battlecat

That's a nice beach frontage!  The addition of the tram would probably result in quite a tourist attraction, nothing like a relaxing ride along the shore.  That apartment really does look a bit out of place next to those mansions!  Developers do the weirdest things on occasion.

Jmouse

Ahhh, beachfront housing! I'm a bit surprised the zoning commission let grungy apartments sneak in under the radar, but maybe some enterprising developer will buy the land and make some improvements. The brick streets look good - I've never used them before, but they work well in this setting.

Later...
Joan

metarvo

It looks to me like southern South Coast is quite lenient when it comes to zoning and restrictions.  I would imagine that the proximity of that R-§ apartment building lowers the value of those nice houses just a little.  ???  Then again, I don't know which was here first, so who am I to judge?  This sort of thing happens in RL, too, so it makes Greenacre that much more realistic.  Nice update, Matt.

:thumbsup:
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Pat

Matt I agree with Joan on that one in how in the world did the ugly apartment sneek in there??? Goosh that is a distraction there and a eye sore which I am soo surprised no citizen group has called for renavation or demolitation!! Anyways the train station is looking real great there!!! I cant wait to see more!!!

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

threestooges

Replies:
-David (Simpson): Thank you very much. Glad you like it.

-Guillaume (Sciurus): Update/history for that beach pic. This area has changed a bit since then.

-Battlecat: Thanks. The plans for the tram certainly seem like the system will move people around pretty well. As for being a tourist attraction, well, it'll have to compete with the beach, but it will certainly add to the overall effect. The only question is: tram, or T-RAM?

-Joan (Jmouse): Did a bit of research into thing about that apartment. See below. The brick streets were from the original mod by ardecila, back before the SAM, but this is one area of Greenacre where I think it looks really good. The SAM though really has opened up some new options.

-metarvo: It would look that way, wouldn't it? It does happen in real life too, much to the joy of the residents of some of the houses. Things have changed though. Glad you've liked it so far.

-Pat: Believe it or not, none of the residents have said anything, however, I think some of those places are vacation homes, so the residents aren't always there. Glad you liked the train station, and more is on the way.

Many of you have expressed concern over how that apartment building in South Coast got there. The more people who asked, the more I thought about it. Long story short, I called the zoning board down there to inquire. The land is zoned to allow for such development according to the zoning map. However, that particular lot is also listed as being a 2 bedroom bungalow... and was being taxed as one. This was the first they had heard of it. Something tells me that the owner may be cutting a rather large check in the near future (or they could just try to take the property, which might be the better option if they can pull it off).

I know we've been here twice already, but I had to meet with the Shelter Island Council today (17) at that tram-shaped diner in the park. They have really good burgers there, put a little avocado on it and it's really good.

Unlike the marina and the cruise ship port, this is really an area for the locals. You'd have to know this was here to find it... I guess that secret is sort of out now. Oh well. It'll be good for the businesses. The streetcar service back from pic 2 extends out here, and was the inspiration for that diner. They just took an old car and plopped it out there. When the weather's nice, it's hard to beat a good lunch in the park.

art128

3 wonderful pictures I missed there Matt, but better later than never  ;) !
As for the pictures, this last one is very nice this little park with the tram is very fine my friend, also great use of trams. :thumbsup:
The second one is nice too , even if I don't love some little things,
As first, these parking lots aren't connected to the street, i think that gray piece (the T one) give the cars to nowhere ! Also one other things : Small poor apartments - Rich villas - rich villas - small poor apartments (i think you understand what I mean  ::) )
And the last is by far my favorite, this train station looks soooo good my friend even more with those overpass there ! great work with it. (BTW, where you get it ?)

Arthur.  :thumbsup:
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

rooker1

Hey Matt,

Looks like I missed a few pics as well.  &ops
I like the train station and those tunnels before and after it.  Is it a bad thing if I wonder how it all goes together and go and take a look at it in LE to see what kind of arrangement I can come up with.  ::)  I find myself doing that more and more when I get new custom content.
I like this tour of the island you are taking us on.  Seems very aimless, which in my opinion is very nice, I just hope we aren't taking the bus, but a helicopter or something like that.  ;)
See you later,
Robin
Call me Robin, please.