• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Take a Tour!- An MD of the Mid-Atlantic U.S.

Started by Travis, March 03, 2007, 09:02:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dedgren

You've got a nice sense of suburbia, Travis.  Those are good pics of well-laid out development.

...that can't be a Wal-Mart, though- there's open parking spaces up next to the building...

Whether you like WM or hate it, it's indisputable that its stores are incredibly well patronized.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

Kokopelli

I like your high school complex. Very American Small Town. How did you get that driveway out of the high school to transition into the road like that?  I don't have a transit enabled lot in that style driveway. If you can tell me where to get one I'd appriciate it. Thanks. You do good work.

sebes

I like your MD - everything is layd out so beautiful. The cotton plantation is my favourite :thumbsup:
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

kwakelaar

Thanks for your answer and again a nice update.

Flipside

You do rural areas beautifully.  ;D

Cali

wow, i can't believe i have missed this entire md. i am so sorry...very outstanding work &apls
"It's not a design flaw, It's my signature"

Travis

Whoa, folks, you're certainly all very kind. It's going to take me awhile to reply to all the great comments
that were made the past few days.

Replies  :-\

@Alex(Tarkus), Thank-you! In fact, it's around 2.8 gigs as of now. $%Grinno$% Anyway, I hope to see you soon!

@emilin, Thanks! I try to fit in as many details as I can. As for those farmlands, I might post some more tomorrow. Come again soon! :)

@Naryanna, Thank-you!  :)

@petercintn, Thanks! About the windmill, I forgot it was there. I use it exclusively to provide power,
as I don't believe its realistic to have a power plant in every city and town. That was mostly older work and I didn't notice
when I took the picture. One more note, that wasn't a part of the midwestern-style town, it was in a whole different region!  ;D
Anyway thanks for dropping by, and come again.  :)

@Bat, Thanks for the compliment, Bat!  :thumbsup:

@David(dedgren), Thanks David! I'm quite familiar with suburbia, having spent my whole life in it.
About Wal-Mart, I don't really like them that much, but they are most definitely a prominent landmark in the suburban landscape.
Myself, I've never seen a town that doesn't have a Wal-Mart.  $%Grinno$% Anyway, come again soon David!  :thumbsup:

@Kokopelli, Thanks! The driveway out of the high school is completely separate from the school, and is a set of driveway
lots found HERE. Visit again soon!

@sebes, Thanks! Glad you like the cotton plantation.  :thumbsup:

@kwakelaar, Thanks! I'd do anything I can to help.  ;)

@Flipside Thanks! There's more rural areas to come.

@Cali, Thank-you! Its ok, I figured I'd pick up viewers as I went along.

Wow, that was a lot of comments. On to the update...

Another suburban update today. I consider the following to be one of my favorite creations. Enjoy...

#1. A wide view...

#2. Hotels, restaurants and shopping centers...

#3. A big-box store...   Sorry about the bad picture quality on this one, folks.

#4. The town park...

#5. The hospital and a Wal-Mart supercenter...

#6. A grocery store. Note that I made that lot myself.

#7. A McDonald's next to a Home Depot...

#8. An Elementary and high school...

#9. Some neighborhoods...

#10. Some more neighborhoods. Note the variety of houses.

#11. Even more residential areas...

#12. Across the avenue to more neighborhoods...   Darn! Forgot to edit that pic.

#13. ...and more...

#14. ...and more...

#15. One last overview for today...

Whew! That sure was a big update! Tomorrow, I'll try to post some more farmland shots.
And when I have some free time, I'll begin experimenting, with something that
is commonplace in the real world, but I've never seen in SC4. I'll keep you posted on that.

Alright, that's all for today. As usual, I'd love to hear from you.
Suggestions? Comments?

:thumbsup:

kekus74

I've a comment me ! Its very realistic ! I like the picture with the McDonald  ;D !

So, great work travis ! I wait already the next update !  :thumbsup:
MaRc-AnToInE

bat

Great pictures and wonderful city! :thumbsup:

Cali

is that a Home Depot?, and if so, where did you pick it up from?, also i love the road network, great work  :)

Travis

Hi folks,

Here's update #... hold on, I have to go count...  ::) ... okay, update #5...

Replies...  :-\

@kekus74, Thanks! Glad you think it is realistic.  :)

@Bat, Thank-you, Bat!  :)

@Cali, Thanks! That is indeed a Home Depot, Unfortunately, I believe the creator (Bobbo) took it off
the STEX to fix some issues with it a couple months ago. But I do hear that he will re-release it eventually. Come again soon!  :)

On to the update...

Today we'll see some more rural areas. It may look a bit monotonous, but I think the effect came out pretty well...

#1. An overview of the small town...

#2. Right off the highway. And yes, I know I forgot to put an off-ramp there, so its not really "right off the highway".

#3. A motel...

#4. A highway. I can't stand the tiling effect inside the highway, but I can't find a way to fix it, either.

#5. A church. I love those seasonal trees...

#6. Some farms...

#7. Across to the other side of the highway...

#8. A quiet rural street...

#9. Last one, some power lines...

Okay, that's all for now. I hope you enjoyed it. I'm still working on a few experiments, and might have something
to show by this weekend. Anyway, I'd be happy to hear some comments from you all out there.  ;)

I'll see you later...

:thumbsup:

Tarkus

Hi Travis-

Superb update.  That's a really nice rural area you have there--not monotonous at all.  And it's always great to see the RHW in an MD.  (Admittedly, I'm a little biased, though. :D)  Looks like you put it to great use! :thumbsup: 

-Alex (Tarkus)

meinhosen

I like the look of your farmland and small towns.  It has that "feel" to it that makes it look good.

About the tiling effect with the RHW:  I've found it's easiest to not have any zones bordering it to avoid that problem.  You might think of de-zoning any farm tiles that touch it to get rid of that look.  I know it's a slightly drastic solution, but it does work.  :)

Second thing: what mod are you using to get Cycledogg's seasonal trees on the roadsides?  Just curious.

Great work!
You're telling me I get to be home for more than 12 months?

Heinz

&apls very RL-like work you've got going there! keep em coming!  :thumbsup:

Cali

great looking farm fields :thumbsup:

emilin

I really, really like this. Strangly, you have a very specific ambiance to your style. I don't know what it is, since its basically just a lot of suburbia, but it's definatly there. Good job!

BlackwaterEmil's inn
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio ♦ dedgren
♦ Emilin ♦ Ennedi ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦
papab2000 ♦ Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine

kwakelaar

Two great updates indeed, lots of suburbia and farmland both with nicely made details.

Flipside

Travis, great stuff, but one question. What IS that lovely red farm field? Roses? Cherries? :) I am envious of it.  ;)

dedgren

...right by the highway, then...

Really nice rural/low density development here.  You've got a definite feel for the "countryside" thing.

I agree about tiling, too.  There's some folks working on that project that I'm sure would to fix that, as much effort as they've put into it.  We should ask around and see if that issue is on the radar screen.

See you here "on the Tour" again soon.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

kimcar

:thumbsup: Nice update . You rural zone is very well done . Just a suggest maybe add trees, like jeronij`s one along your farm zone.Keep going :thumbsup: