• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Commonwealth of Marathon

Started by thundercrack83, November 05, 2008, 02:08:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Earth quake

WELCOME TO PAGE 10Wow, excellent teaser Dustin, I really like the 22.5 road and Rail. (the Far/Farr  :thumbsup:)
Really beauitufl, I love your forest

This pic is really, a hummmm........Fabulous.  &idea

tooheys

Hehe, I'm a nasty person aren't I. Dustin, seems I forgot to mention that little problem $%Grinno$%

There is one other possible solution, reasonably neat, I'll PM it to you to have a look at.

By the way, thats a good teaser for a non-teaser. Nice pic mate  :thumbsup:

Dave

art128

Dustin, the tutorial is really useful my friend, thanks for it  &apls :thumbsup: the last teaser is looking awesome , great use of the FARR and FAR  :thumbsup: great choice of bridges and trees  &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

bat

All pictures are very nice there! Fantastic work on them!
And wonderful updates, also the mosaic looks beautiful!

(Sorry for missing some updates...)

Jmouse

Nice rural shot, Dustin. Hope to see some of those in Marathon - I'm a sucker for that kind of scenery!

Later...
Joan

paroch

Great choice of train there - the VIA rail is what we have in West End as well!!

Lilojame

Hi there, my friend!
Sorry for missing on update there but it looks great and that "not a teaser" it looks fanthastic!  &apls
Looking foward to see more.

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

thundercrack83

Earth quake: Thank you, my friend, for your comments, and for bringing us to Page 10!

Dave (tooheys): Thanks so much, Dave, for your solution! We'll be exploring that a bit more soon!

Arthur (art128): Hi, Arthur! Thanks for your kind words, my friend!

bat: Don't worry about missing updates, my friend. I still need to get caught up on your great work over in Capporth City before we're even close to being even! Take care!

Joan (Jmouse): Oh, don't worry, Joan! We'll have some rural scenery in Marathon, too! I have to cover all the bases!

Paul (paroch): Thanks, Paul! I'm a big fan of the VIA Rail trains, too!

Karin (Lilojame): Thank you, Karin! And don't worry about missing updates, we've all got things that to do sometimes, right? Thanks for coming by!

UPDATE VIII
The Highway is Alive Tonight
Part II: Nobody's Kiddin' Nobody About Where it Goes

27 November 2008

When last we discussed this, way back in Update VI: The Highway is Alive Tonight, Part I, we left off...

...here.

Since Tile I is nothing but water, we'll pick up in Tile J, where...

...we have the trench in place, but I used some rail lines to get a nice gentle slope, both in the trench, as well as the rest of the tile.

Next step—

A tunnel that goes underwater to lead off of Marathon Island to the mainland.

With the tunnel in place, the rest is just clean-up, so we move to Tile K.

Here, we have a sport where a T-junction will go, and then lead to...

...another diagonal section, so we have to dig the trench.

Trench is in place...

...and the highway is plopped.

Just some more clean-up to do. NOTE: I will have to go back through at a later date to update these curves with the NAM curves, as per UPDATE VII: 45°.

Moving on! We jump all the way to Tile Q, since Tiles L, M, N, and O are just standard highway placement.

In Tile Q...

...we have more terrain to negotiate, so the trench is dug...

...in accordance with the grade of the slope.

Finally, we get to possibly the most complicated tile...Tile R.

We begin with another tunnel to the mainland, and then...

...the trench for the connection from Tile Q is dug.

Since we have three lines coming in from the mainland...

...some wider trenches must be dug.

With those in place, we begin connecting the dots.

And...

...put in the finishing touches!

So, after all of that, we come out with...

...our final region map!

And for posterity...

...the highway map for comparison.

So the highways are in place for Marathon Island. But there are a few loose ends—what's going on...

...here in Tile C? And what about Tile B, which was conveniently skipped?

All these questions and more will be answered soon!

In the meantime, today is Thanksgiving in the United States, so I wish all my fellow Americans a Happy Thanksgiving and leave you with...

...this from A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Yoman

I like the highway setup, it reminds me alot of seemurey's cities back at ST from a few years ago, he was the American Highway master :thumbsup: Happy Thanksgiving.

rooker1

All these questions and more will be answered soon!

Not fair.  $%Grinno$%

All the highways are done, now what goes in between.  :-\

Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

Pat

amazing stuff Mr admin sir!! I got to keep myself on my toes now and another hugh congrats to you for your promotion sir!!! Dustin what an honor!!!! I have got to come in here constantly to see what you are doing every hour just to make sure I havent missed anything lol...

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Jmouse

Well-planned highway system, Dustin. Wish I could say the same for my work, but I'm a lot more haphazard and no good whatsoever at long-range planning. And I think Robin made a good point about what goes in between - I'm pretty curious myself.

Later...
Joan

Lilojame

Hi Dustin! Yes, you are right, we do. As for the update, I have to say it is nicely executed but that goes for all of your updates. Again it is very interesting to see how you build roads. What you did on picture 14 with those 3 highways is something I would never came up with, so I find it great and even inspirational.
I was never a "fan" for transportation networks, but not because I would not find them fascinating (since I do) but because they are my weak point, something that I am unable to understand quite right for now but looking at your work here is tempting me to try it and not just let it behind in some "dark corner".
Anyhow, to make it short, you are doing superb work here and I am very much interested in what you will show us next. :thumbsup:

Yours Truly,
Karin ()borg()

PS: Congratulations on becoming and admin at this great site. Seeing your work here, which portrays devotion, imagination, good planing and making those plans alive and last but not least the precision that you show, I am very sure that you will do a superb work on this new position also.  &apls

Visit my MD Rainbow Falls or check Rainbow Falls Out of the Box or maybe check on my bats&lots visiting Lilojame´s Corner or if you wish go to Lilojame´s Candidacies.

"Be thou the rainbow in the storms of life. The evening beam that smiles the clouds away, and tints tomorrow with prophetic ray."  (Byron, 1788-1824)

JBSimio

Hi Dustin!  That's a very nice highway layout you've got going.  This must be an incredibly busy island to warrant such a huge tunnel!  I really like how you transitioned from tunnel's "gathering point" into the three different routes.  I'm curious to see how you've done the other entrance on the western side of the island... but I suppose I'll just have to sit and wait until you get around to letting us all see it.

Congratulations on all the different successes you're having here.  Between this MD, the new staffing arrangements, and the other competitions going on... you've had one heck of a month!  :thumbsup:

JB

Never trust a god who grins all the time and wears a top hat, that's my motto.  -Terry Pratchett

It's from JBSimio.  Need we say more?  -BadgerBoy of SC4 Devotion

metarvo

I must congratulate you on becoming an admin, Dustin.  It is an honor that you truly deserve, considering all of the wonderful work that you have done on our site.  Of course, it goes without saying that some of this amazing work can be found right here in CoM.  This highway system is very thoughtfully and carefully built.  This is the kind of construction that SC4D transit heroes are known for.  I hope that this has been a happy Thanksgiving for you, Dustin.

&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

projectadam

Dustin,

I suppose I have lurked here long enough and it is time to come out of the shadows. This has been a treat of an MD to follow especially since I love seeing things from start to finish and the initial planning stages. The highway network is fabulous! You have also done a great job keeping this MD very interesting without having a single building. Keep up the good work and I guess it is time to head back into the shadows for me ()lurker()
The Constitutional Monarchy of Ichigamin

Terraforming Update (8/25/09)

thundercrack83

Owen (Yoman): I hope that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, too, my friend! And thank you so much for the great comment! Hope to see you back!

Robin (rooker1): Hi, Robin! In between, eh? You want the real answer—I have no idea...yet! We'll find out together! Take care, my friend!

Pat: Thank you for the congratulations, and for your kind words!

Joan (Jmouse): Hello, Joan! Like I said to Robin, your guess is as good as mine!

Karin (Lilojame): Thank you so much, Karin! Your support is very much appreciated, both for Marathon, and for my new position here at SC4D!

Jon (JBSimio): It's been quite a month, not only for me, but for all of SC4D! The Anniversary has made things so special around here, I'm just happy to be a part and do my part! And thank you for your comments on the highway system, too! From seeing your highway set-ups over in Covington, I know that you know your way around a highway! Thanks for stopping by!

metarvo: Thanks so very much, my friend. You are too kind! I hope you and yours had a wonderful Thanksgiving, too!

projectadam: Thanks for coming out of the shadows, my friend! But, don't worry, feel free to lurk any time!

First, I must thank everyone for the heart-felt words of congratulations and support that I have gotten, not only here in Marathon, but elsewhere throughout SC4D, on being selected as an Administrator. Most of all, I would like to thank our leader and good friend jeronij for trusting me with this position. I will have that trust on my mind with every decision that I make in this new responsibility, and I will do my best not to let you or the community down! Thank you all so very, very much!

I'm back in Allentown this weekend again, but I received a PM from your friend and mine, Dave (tooheys), whose question earlier about the 45° NAM curves took us on the much needed tangent in UPDATE VII: 45°. In the PM, Dave outlined another solution to the problem addressed in the aforementioned update...

...which will most certainly come in handy to keep the curves and diagonal sections of Marathon Island's highway from getting...(gulp)...repetitive and boring.

Dave, thank you so much for this solution, my friend! My undying need for variation is now appeased, thanks to you!

And one more treat for you, considering my current location—

http://www.youtube.com/v/MocLVpRVPOY&hl=en&fs=1
"Allentown" by Billy Joel. The Nylon Curtain, 1982.

Technically, my girlfriend lives closer to Bethlehem than Allentown, but, well, Bethlehem's in the song, too!

Oh, and we're also closing in on 200 comments already! I have to say, you guys are the best! The absolute best!

Who'll ring the bell?

Earth quake

Nice teaser and video dustin, I really like this.  :thumbsup:

Simpson

The last update is really fantastic, the highways are looking really superb and incredible. And also now with curves it's fantastic and more réalistic  &apls &apls
Also your région map is really excellent, great work on it  :thumbsup:. Also I'm am looking forward to the next update my friend  ::)
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

squidi

great work dustin!
i love to see how you show all the progress step by step even if iam sometimes
a bit to lazy to leave a comment /wrrd%&

-paul