• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Curved Avenue Texture Help

Started by sithlrd98, September 06, 2008, 12:49:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sithlrd98

I finally managed to texture the 90 degree avenue curve , but I am trying to figure out why it has a (grid effect?) to it.

Any help would be appreciated!

Jayson

dedgren

Jayson, I'm pretty burned out texturing road surfaces, but I'll PM you later over the weekend with some suggestions

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

Three Rivers Region- A collaborative development of the SC4 community
The 3RR Quick Finder [linkie]

I aten't dead.  —  R.I.P. Granny Weatherwax

sithlrd98

I definitely could use the help as I am now pulling my hair out after trying again using alpha maps and it still is showing the curve with out sidewalk textures! I only changed a few this time to check in game , but I'm starting to see why no one else has succeeded ! (As far as I know.)

Jayson

dedgren

Jayson, I'm back through and just have a minute- what is it you are creating?  A puzzle piece?  A transit enabled lot?  What you have there looks like a lot- if it is we really do need to talk.  In the meantime, have a wander through 3RR since this spring, when I started working on the FAR (fractional angle roads)- you'll probably see a few "in progress" posts that will give you some ideas.

David
D. Edgren

Please call me David...

sithlrd98

Actually,I am re-texturing the individual textures found in the Network Addon 3 .dat.
And yes  even though I haven't commented in 3rr , (I have no excuse) , I am truly amazed at how the FAR is coming along!

Jayson

EDITHeh!  Now you really have no excuse.  OK, so now that I know what you are doing, I'll get together that PM.  Oh, what are you using to build the FSH files? -DE

sithlrd98

EDITHeh!  Now you really have no excuse.  OK, so now that I know what you are doing, I'll get together that PM.  Oh, what are you using to build the FSH files? -DE

I am a very sorry person!...thats my excuse!  :(

Basically I used SC4tool to extract , used photoshop to blend , used SC4tool again to create the textures,then used reader and manually copied each entry ID from the NAM dat  . That is the only way I know how to do it...I'm not that much of a modder so besides "basic" modding , this is my first real attempt.

Thanks

Jayson

ebina

These white noises seem to be opposite edge of texture. It'd be able to be fixed by changing the setting of S3D.
In the Mats tab of S3D, there's an option called Wrap Mode.

By changing it to clamb from repeat, opposite edge of texture will not appear. This is result of testing using Underground Rail puzzle pieces.

However, as far as I know, there's no S3D that takes clamb option. I didn't see any problem with it while testing. But why that option is not used may be it may bring something wrong. I hope someone has good knowledge of this option.

sithlrd98

unfortunately I have no idea what you are talking about  ()sad()

Is there a way that I can fix this?

I would be more than happy to upload what I have done to see if it can be fixed!

Ebina...You are a genius!!!!   :thumbsup: The only problem is that the user would have to change each S3D manually if they wanted to use these curve mods...unless it would be later allowed to update that particular .dat .

Thanks for sharing!

Jayson

dedgren

Wow, ebina- that's the second time you've come to the rescue of the wide curve effort.  I'll be reworking the Wide Radius Curve/FAR/FARR based on this info as well.

That's at least a karma point, my friend!  Thank you.

David

D. Edgren

Please call me David...

JoeST

hehe, thought you might like that ;D

and indeed that is WOW ebina, I am guessing by sithlrd's comment that this is a setting in the NAM .dats...I guess that means a NAM patch/fix?

Joe
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

sithlrd98

Quote from: JoeST on September 07, 2008, 03:12:13 PM
I am guessing by sithlrd's comment that this is a setting in the NAM .dats...I guess that means a NAM patch/fix?

Joe

Yeah,I had to modify the S3D files in the respective ranges 542BE,542BF individually...I didn't mess with the complete S3d files for the puzzle pieces , but using this (new to me) knowledge , I was also able to do the 45 degree!!

It was a very tedious task , one that I'm sure the NAM team and other texture modifiers know all to well , and it was definitely a learning experience!
Thanks for all the help!

Jayson

sithlrd98

Not to double post but I have a few questions...
First, as seen in these pics and downloading these curves at ST , you may notice that they are slightly brighter than they should be. It's not as bad with the "White" texture as it is with the sandstone texture that I'm doing. Is there anyway to fix this? I already have calibrated photoshop to match Gmax .
Secondly , is there a faster way to insert these textures into reader than manually copying the ID?

Third, I have looked through swampers tutorial on T21ing and am a little confused on how to actually get puzzle pieces T21'ed.

Thanks

Jayson

MandelSoft

Well, T21-ing on a puzzle piece is basicly the same as T21-ing on a network texture. The only difference is that with a puzzle piece you must fill in the IID of the S3D file, instead of the texture, at "kPropertyID_LotConfigNetworkTileID".
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

sithlrd98

Thanks mrtnrln , I'm not sure because I haven't torn into too many SC4 files , but the ID's for the S3D and the texture are the same #(if I understand you correctly) which I probbably don't ;D Every attempt that I have made has failed(including a CTD upon loading) so.....apparently I stink at t21!

As far as the textures not matching up , here is an example.....

It is better than no texture IMO , but still....

Jayson

Jonathan

It's a known 'bug' with models, textures on the models are lighter than textures, you have to export the texture, darken it and import, and then keep doing it until the textures match in game. Or you could find an already darkened texture and compare it with that.

sithlrd98

Thanks Warrior , I thought that was the problem ,just hoping for a "Magic" button to fix them :D Maybe I'm to picky , but I've spent wayyyy too long on them,trying to perfect them.

I know that this probably is not the right thread , but since I've been posting everything else...I have been messing with T21 all day to test on one piece but I have no idea what I'm doing , or what I'm doing wrong! Here is the Exemplar I've been messing with.

Keep in mind that I have tried different things and I am learning as I go!
Any help would be appreciated!

Jayson

MandelSoft

I see what's wrong. It will only appear on undeveloped zones. Give the LotConfigPropertyZoneTypes the values 0x00,0x01,0x02,0x03,0x04,0x05,0x06,0x07,0x08,0x09,0x0A,0x0B,0x0C,0x0D,0x0E,0x0F and LotConfigPropertyWealthTypes 0x00,0x01,0x02,0x03.

Hope it helps.

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

sithlrd98

Thanks mrtnrln , that did help! Now my final question (I hope) I have again visited swampers tutorial and found where to change the prop location , however,I can't seem to figure out the values for putting them in correctly! I guessed with the 45 on the test run , I built a mock-up in LE for the 90 (see pic) , but I am perplexed on how to either place them in the median(not the road)  ::) or on one of the sandstone tiles.

I know I must be a royal Pain with this , but well,I'm trying  ;D

Thanks again for the help!

Jayson