• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Maarten's Regions (Imaginia and Schellingen Stadt)

Started by MandelSoft, May 18, 2008, 11:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

allan_kuan1992

This MD is quite good... but there's several areas for improvement.

First... the transport system seems to be really large... maybe too large... with less growable density per road. This may be due to the fact that I come from a Canadian city (Vancouver) which has both suburban sprawl and large-block-like grid format. In Europe that might be different however due to the age of the cities.

Second... a slope mod is highly desirable. To have roads with uneven terrain (a hill on one tile, a ditch at the next) is completely unrealistic. Slopes should be somewhat gentle to traverse (maybe < 30 degrees) and should happen over the course of a few tiles and not one. Try using a slope mod to achieve this.

Otherwise, this is a good start. =)

MandelSoft

Quote from: allan_kuan1992 on October 24, 2008, 02:07:57 AM
This MD is quite good... but there's several areas for improvement.

First... the transport system seems to be really large... maybe too large... with less growable density per road. This may be due to the fact that I come from a Canadian city (Vancouver) which has both suburban sprawl and large-block-like grid format. In Europe that might be different however due to the age of the cities.

Second... a slope mod is highly desirable. To have roads with uneven terrain (a hill on one tile, a ditch at the next) is completely unrealistic. Slopes should be somewhat gentle to traverse (maybe < 30 degrees) and should happen over the course of a few tiles and not one. Try using a slope mod to achieve this.

Otherwise, this is a good start. =)
Well, since I build my cities in euro style, the street layout is also euro, and that's pretty dense in American terms. And I use a slope mod. Believe me, it looked a lot worse (see the pictures of my previous update "The Good Old Times - Pictures from my former Region", where I showed pics of unmodded cities). Great you like it!

Shosaloza
A trip through the Imaginian rural country

Shosaloza (named after Ennedi's MD) is one of the rural towns in Imaginia. A nice place to live, and with 6,000 inhabitants, it's pretty small. A canal is present in the town and the townpeople like to make a boat trips in the holidays and weekends. In between two city zones, Shosaloza is one of the few places left in Imaginia where you can escape from the chaotic urban enviorement.

There are not so many interresting pictures of Shosaloza, so the amount of transit-related pictures is quite high. So sit back and watch the pictures of Shosaloza

1. The Downtown. You see that the place isn't that big.

2. Town center. You see the canal that goes all the way through the town.

3. The train station of Shosaloza

4. A strip town. Something I see often here in the Netherlands, where a town is built along side of a stream

5. Hintenheim, a very small town near Shosaloza

6. The A8, a real rural highway.

7. Here the N115 has an overpass over the A8

8. A8 Exit 8: 'Shosaloza/Caspere'

9. Interchange 'Shosaloza'. This is a typical trumpet interchange, where the A8 (left-top) is crossing the A18(bottom)

10. A18 Exit 3: 'Shosaloza'

11. An experimental 'Motorroad' (I couldn't find a better translation for 'Autoweg' (Dutch) or 'Schnellstrasse' (German) at the N36 (formally the N114). Here, the speedlimit is 100km/h.

12. FAR out! Some fun with the FAR.

13.  A railway Y-crossing.

14. And last but not least: A rural railway, where you see a transition from SFBT's rail catenaries to my own. Notice the detail difference!  ;D

Oh, and something I discovered lately: I added some lights of my LRM and re-indexed them. The meaning was to have more ploppable light, but suddenly, I have not one, but TWO different low wealth, medium wealth and highway side lights. The most obvious explanation: Family props.

Hope you liked it!

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

rooker1

Super job on the update. 
I think the layout of your city is very well thought out and looks pretty realsitic. 
Robin  :thumbsup:
Call me Robin, please.

sebes

It has been a long time ago since I last visited Imaginia Maarten, I am sorry about that.  The last update with the great transport systems and night shots proves again that one has to stop by here more often.

Ik beloof beterschap...

(I promise to behave better in future)
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

metarvo

This is a spectacular update, Maarten.  Especially the "A8 Exit 8" shot with all of the streetlights.  Those are ploppable, aren't they?

Anyway, I'm still following this MD, Maarten.  Why would I stop, since the quality level is so high?  I look forward to your next update.
&apls
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

Haljackey

Whoa, awesome work buddy!  I can't believe I missed this MD   &ops!  I'll pay more attention from now on.

Got enough lighting there?  Geesh... $%Grinno$%

Cya round,
-Haljackey

art128

superb work on that update my friend  ;)
great work too on these interchange  :thumbsup:
and good work on the farms  :thumbsup:
looking forward to more, more.... ;)
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

alan_vzla

Awesome work on this new update...and by the way, the strip town occurs here very frequently. Looking Forward for more

Alan

south park

awesome work on this new update my friend , I really like your rhw and I hope to see an update !! :thumbsup:
cairo and tropicalia (my cities) on tsc:
http://toutsimcity.com/forums.php?viewthread=441267

bat

Fantastic pictures there of all these great looking areas there of your region!
Nice work! :thumbsup:

MandelSoft

Replies coming later. Now I've just a little update

Sebeshaber Harbour Upgrade

Imaginia has one main harbour: Sebeshaber. The industrialised city used to have the Maxis Harbour:

This harbour is not bad, it's PATHETIC!

Now, lets terraform the land for the new harbour...

... And after a little while; TADAA!

That's all folks  ;)! What do you think, a 100 replies before November? Who knows...

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

CasperVg

That's one great harbour, Maarten. Not to mention that is a great leap forward for Sebeshaber from the pathetic Maxis to a nice custom-build port. Good work, and good luck on making it to the Best Sellers  :thumbsup:
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

metarvo

This is a fine port, Maarten. :thumbsup:  After seeing all of the masterfully detailed ports on SC4D, I don't believe I can live with the default Maxis port anymore. :)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

sim-al2

Great port!  :thumbsup: Did you remember to nuke the old port?  &hlp
(\_/)
(o.O)
(")_(")

bat

Really good looking port there! And nice work on it... :thumbsup:

threestooges

Very nice work with the port mrtnrln. It's certainly an improvement and very realistic. I also like the transport systems from the last update. They have a very nice way of blending with the surrounding areas. The little town along the canal looked pretty neat too. It looks like you're making your way to Best Sellers. I know you still have a few posts to go, but congratulations on it in advance.
-Matt

Haljackey

What a difference replacing Maxis is!  Excellent job Maarten!

paroch

Well you are getting very close to the magic 100!!  Imaginia deserves to be a BEST SELLER - so let me give you an early congratulations as you'll be there soon.

Sorry I guessed so many of your town names incorrectly!!  Hehehe, at least it was fun trying!

I really liked the last two updates.  Your town of Shosaloza looks really good - I like it.  Picture 7 - that is a great overpass - I'll have to try and build something similar!

And your port is also very nicely put together.

All the best

Paul

Pat

great updates here Marteen!!!  :thumbsup:

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Mulefisk

Looks great so far! Keep posting updates.  :thumbsup: