• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Maarten's Regions (Imaginia and Schellingen Stadt)

Started by MandelSoft, May 18, 2008, 11:14:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MandelSoft

Guilliano
City under construction
Part I

This is the first city that I've built in the province Brinasken. I wanted to do something special with it. I've never seen in a MD that a city is constructed from the ground up. So here it is: A city constructed from the ground up.
Note: I number my pictures from now on

1.0 Here is the landscape of Guilliano. It's nice and it's empty. Let's build the city here on this site!

Now lets lay out some highways and main roads. This took me four hours to get it right.

1.1 The A6 crossing a main avenue

1.2 The A4 - A6 volleyball-interchange in the northwest of the city

1.3 A single fly-over/cloverleaf-hybrid interchange, where the A6 is crossing the A8. It took me an hour and a half to make it perfect.

1.4 The massive Eastern Guilliano Freeway, the A20

1.5 Here agian, at another exit

1.6 Another highway exit at the A6

1.7 A T-bone interchange between the N8 and a city avenue that ends here

1.8 Avenue crossings on the N8

1.9 There was something missing in the city's main structure: A railroad. Well, I constructed the main railway and plopped a central station, in this case Amsterdam Centraal Station.

Here's where I start to construct the city itself. So I layed out some roads and zones.

1.10 Yay! Devellopement is coming to town!

I got an idea: Why not laying out a tram network? Easy said as done, there was a GLR network and I placed 'some' beautification (forrests, signs, etc.) and the final picture looks like this:

EDIT: I've fixed some image links.

The city has now 18,000 inhabitants. It's not much, but the city must start with something. Next time: the further growth of Guilliano.

I hope you enjoyed this update!

Best,
Maarten
Lurk mode: ACTIVE

art128

great devellopement  :thumbsup: your city is realy nice  &apls great work on the interchanges  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
looking foward to the next part  :thumbsup:
Arthur
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

sebes

Wow - interesting road lay-out Maarten! Especially the downtown area... there goes the grid  %BUd%
Check my MD:               
Rhenen,NN

paroch

Hi Maarten,

Good to see Imaginia back in action after your vacation.  And Guilliano is off to a great start.  You are right, it is interesting to see a city build from scratch.  I often mean to take pics from the start but usually forget!!
Picture 1.6 is a Great Junction.  That roundabout underneath the rasied avenue is a very good example of many british road junctions.  I did not know you could run a road over a roundabout, so I will have to experiment with that.

I look forward to seeing the city grow further.

Paul

Sheep49

Nice update! Guilliano looks great!

And I have to agree with dedgren: You are the road geek!
But there's nothing wrong about it!

Oh, and you are a master of interchanges!
Polish support forum - Cafe Poland * SC4Wiki! * My BATting thread

I am he, as you are he, as you are me and we are all together... - I Am The Walrus, The Beatles

MandelSoft

Replies

Quote from: art128 on August 19, 2008, 07:47:02 AM
great devellopement  :thumbsup: your city is realy nice  &apls great work on the interchanges  :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
looking foward to the next part  :thumbsup:
Arthur
Well, here it is! Thanks!
Quote from: sebes on August 19, 2008, 09:44:31 AM
Wow - interesting road lay-out Maarten! Especially the downtown area... there goes the grid  %BUd%
You'll be seeing more road layouts this time!
Quote from: paroch on August 22, 2008, 12:24:44 PM
Hi Maarten,

Good to see Imaginia back in action after your vacation.  And Guilliano is off to a great start.  You are right, it is interesting to see a city build from scratch.  I often mean to take pics from the start but usually forget!!
Picture 1.6 is a Great Junction.  That roundabout underneath the rasied avenue is a very good example of many british road junctions.  I did not know you could run a road over a roundabout, so I will have to experiment with that.

I look forward to seeing the city grow further.

Paul
(You mean picture 1.4). Thanks!
Quote from: Sheep49 on August 25, 2008, 04:41:50 AM
Nice update! Guilliano looks great!
And I have to agree with dedgren: You are the road geek!
But there's nothing wrong about it!

Oh, and you are a master of interchanges!
I couldn't be more honoured!

Update tomorrow later this week, stay tuned!

bat

Great pictures of your city under construction!!! Wonderful work on it!

Looking forward to the second part... ;)

MandelSoft

Quote from: bat on September 03, 2008, 08:54:49 AM
Great pictures of your city under construction!!! Wonderful work on it!

Looking forward to the second part... ;)

Thanks, Bat!

Guilliano
City under construction
Part II

This is the second part of the construction special of Guilliano. Today: Further development in Guilliano and region development.

Region development
I named some of the cities/villages/areas in Imaginia after some of our fellow users or their MD's. See if you can recognise some in the region view.

Region view of the new area

2.2  Transport Map of East-Imaginia

City developement
Guilliano has now 50,000 inhabitans. It was more (60,000) but there are now less R$ sims and more R$$$ sims. The city is rapidly losing money ($18,000 income - $28,000 costs) but luckaly, I've turned the BSC Funding Mod on. I just want to create a good looking and working city. I show some pictures of the new constructed zones ( ordered by time of creation)

2.3  Updated picture of the City Center

Zone: Near East. You'll also see the A20

2.6  Zone: Downtown North

2.7  Zone: The Circles

2.8  Zone: Mall Area

2.9  Zone: Station Quarters

2.10 Zone: Sheepton

Highway Pictures
2.11 The A6-A8 interchange. Now with beautification!

2.12  The Eastern Guilliano Freeway.

Other Pics
2.13  Here's where all electricity and water of Guilliano come from.

2.14  Special preview! RippleJet Airport

I hope you enjoyed this update!

Later!
Maarten

paroch

Hey, of course I enjoyed the update Maarten.  I like Imaginia very much.

The city centre is looking as though it is becoming very developed - all concrete in the middle but with green bits around the edges - nice.  Shame about those abandoned buildings, but I often have that as well.  Is it lack of jobs/commute times that are causing the problems?

And that office building by Haarlemergod is growing a lot in your city (I have the same issue often as well!!)

And as always your roads are looking good.

All the best

Paul

Pat

:thumbsup:  real sweet update here mrtnrln, i loved the power and train station pics

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

Fresh Prince of SC4D

Nice update. Imangnia is a great CJ!

BTW- you've been keeping my favorite forms of infranstructure from me!
1st it was Traffic Lights!
But new Plyons too?
Come On, mrtnrln!
Returning from Call of Duty . Must rebuilt what I destroyed....

MandelSoft

Replies

Quote from: paroch on September 05, 2008, 01:06:36 PM
Hey, of course I enjoyed the update Maarten.  I like Imaginia very much.

The city centre is looking as though it is becoming very developed - all concrete in the middle but with green bits around the edges - nice.  Shame about those abandoned buildings, but I often have that as well.  Is it lack of jobs/commute times that are causing the problems?

And that office building by Haarlemergod is growing a lot in your city (I have the same issue often as well!!)

All the best

Paul
Thanks! The abandonment was caused by the lack of jobs, which I tried to compensate with zoning more MD-Commerical.

Quote from: Pat on September 05, 2008, 05:39:09 PM
:thumbsup:  real sweet update here mrtnrln, i loved the power and train station pics
Thanks!

Quote from: Fresh Prince of SC4D on September 05, 2008, 06:19:08 PM
Nice update. Imangnia is a great CJ!

BTW- you've been keeping my favorite forms of infranstructure from me!
1st it was Traffic Lights!
But new Plyons too?
Come On, mrtnrln!
Well, I think I'm not going to release them soon. It's still not finished.

EDIT: Content removed for violation of MD Rules. - Dustin (thundercrack83)

art128

I loss an excellent update :( very good my friend &apls
I'll take a quiet life... A handshake of carbon monoxide.

Props & Texture Catalog

metarvo

&apls

How did I not notice this before?  I will definitely pay closer attention to this MD, Maarten.  Those power lines of yours that I downloaded drew me to this like an electric magnet, and now I can't wait to see what you do next.  The transportation system is also well constructed.

EDIT: Content removed for violation of MD Rules. - Dustin (thundercrack83)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

MandelSoft

As you can see, the last update is deleted. If I've offended someone, I apoligize. It won't happen agian.

Best whishes,
Maarten.

metarvo

I admit that my response to your update was harmful.  I'm sorry.  I've learned my lesson, though.  That aside, this is a great MD, Maarten, and I don't plan to miss a minute of it. :thumbsup:

EDIT: No worries, my friend. Just a misunderstanding! - Dustin (thundercrack83)
Find my power line BAT thread here.
Check out the Noro Cooperative.  What are you waiting for?  It even has electricity.
Want more? Try here.  For even more electrical goodies, look here.
Here are some rural power lines.

nerdly_dood

I haven't really looked at many MDs lately, and I like this one - not bad!

I notice that you often use one of the RHW-2 transitions which you then immediately transition to a road - maybe this could help. It is a mod I made that I intended to use as a temporary fix so that the RHW-2/Road transition piece is the same as the standard Euro road texture so that you don't have to have that unsightly transition texture resulting from the fact that RHW-2 textures are not included in ShadowAssassin's Euro RHW mod. But I had some problems with it, which Tarkus fixed. The link is a direct download link for Tarkus' fixed version.

NOTE: This is only intended for users of the Euro road mod and the Euro RHW mod. If you don't have one of these, either the pavement lines, or both the line color and type of pavement, will not match.
My days here are numbered. It's been great and I've had a lot of fun, but I've moved on to bigger and better things.
—   EGO  VOBIS  VADELICO   —
Glory be unto the modder and unto the fun and unto the city game!

callagrafx

Quote from: metarvo on September 16, 2008, 07:19:02 AM
I admit that my response to your update was harmful.  I'm sorry.  I've learned my lesson, though.  That aside, this is a great MD, Maarten, and I don't plan to miss a minute of it. :thumbsup:

Not so much harmful per se, merely something that doesn't have a place in the MD section. Mirroring real world events has the habit of bringing debates that aren't really suited to a gaming site.
The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it

Simpson

This is a really fine work here, your city is looking very good and also very réalistic
Great work my friend
My new city is now here
The région of Kaikoura

Teaser of Lopsas[+ How did I do it?]:Lopsas

alan_vzla

Hi there mrtnrl you have an interesting city and I personally love the interchanges but I saw something strange, on pic 2.3 you have two joined roundabouts, was that your plan or did you make a mistake?? ()what(), also IMHO I would change the texture of the streets to highlight them a little; download new buildings, you have many repetitions; and extend the runways, they are to small. The rest seems fine to me :thumbsup:, sorry if I was too critical.

Alan