• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

Additional SAM textures - Nominations open

Started by Diggis, April 12, 2008, 11:18:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diggis

OK, so it goes like this... 

There are 16 possible slots for SAM.  We have 8 current sets with plans for another 5.  That leaves 3 that are currently unspoken for.

Given that we have had a lot of people asking can we do this, can we do that, we have decided to let you create the last 3.  I'm going to open a poll to coincide with the next release of SAM, along with uploading a set of kerblines and a tutorial on the creation.

What I want is nominations for textures.  However, if you nominate a texture you have to be prepared to create it yourself, or have someone lined up to do it.

I've attached a zip file here with the kerbs for the 5 base textures.  Use this to create the 5 textures that you use to make the set.  You don't have to follow the kerbs if you have other plans, but for a basic set it helps.

Remember, these have to match up at the edges whether they are flipped, rotated or upside down.

Diggis

What?  No comments at all...  ()what()

I guess the 20 downloads might mean something?  Feel free to post if you are planning on doing a set.  Make me feel loved.  :'(

RebaLynnTS

You guys are doing such a great job, I can't think of anything new to add.
Becca

Look for me at ... Becca At Bat

Alfred.Jones

I have attempted creating some, but none look good so far...

I'll let you know when I make a set that looks good ;)

Sim City 4 Devotion

Diggis

OK mate.  But I wouldn't leave it too long...  you can post a start, and maybe a sample so we know what you are thinking of.

Nardo69

Okay, Diggis, here's a hug and a proposal for you: 

Long ago there had been the Tar Sealed Streets. Currently you hardly see them and I throw them out of my Plugin folder, too, but I still like them somehow ...

http://www.simtropolis.com/stex/index.cfm?id=11613

Problem is however that the STEX Upload date is February 2005 and I don't know at all if the creator rivitoz is still active or not ...

Bernhard  :thumbsup:

Diggis

Quote from: Diggis on April 12, 2008, 11:18:05 AM
However, if you nominate a texture you have to be prepared to create it yourself, or have someone lined up to do it.

Nardo, I'm hoping you read this.  :thumbsup:

The red brick texture in the SAM looks suspiciously like it was done by the same person, so you might be in luck.

Alfred.Jones

Do you like crazy paving?? $%Grinno$%

They still need work but let me know what you think

AJ :thumbsup:

Sim City 4 Devotion

Diggis

They look good.  :thumbsup:

I have a couple of tips if you don't mind.  Try and remove the repitition within each piece as it will show up worse because every piece is tiled.  It looks like you have 3 tiles per piece, try and remove, or mix up the centre 2 pieces a little.  Even changing the colours will make a difference.

I'd try it with a darker mortar line.  Don't know what it would look like, but the white seems a little bright.

Finally, it might work well with a custom edge to the kerb.  Check out the cobblestone textures from SAM V2 that I've attached.

SimNation

http://sc4devotion.com/forums/index.php?topic=4002.20

Goto that link guys scroll all the way down to the bottom then scroll up a bit. Those are some real good textures right there. I think he actually plans on making them. Just thought id inform you guys. Cheers  :thumbsup:

Diggis

I saw those earlier.  Maybe drop him a PM about this....  :thumbsup:

Andreas

I don't know if those are currently planned already, but adding Chris Adam's rural tracks would be nice. As lots with transparent base texture, the suffer from the "water graphics bug", so they would be a good candidate for the SAM:

Also, for the draggable ped mall addition, I'd vote for PEG's and deadwood's forest tracks. :)
Andreas

Diggis

The issue I had with Chris's is that they are only really one way.   They could be Modded to be 2 way with ease but if I recall, Chris is MIA so that might be a problem.

As for Ped Malls, thats a wee way off and I'm sure the BSC paths and forest tracks will be added.

Jonathan

I don't know if this will be possible, but how about making [a] seawall(s) draggable? It gets kind of boring if there are long stretches.

So add a street to the top of the seawall or add pedestrian paths.

Heblem

i would like to change the bsc parking texture to for walking snake ones would be great  :thumbsup:

Shadow Assassin

Quotei would like to change the bsc parking texture to for walking snake ones would be great

Quite easily done. It's not that hard.

As for the tar-sealed streets, I would love to see them in game. There's already a basic set - they may have to be expanded anyway like the PEG gravel streets were.
New Horizons Productions
Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dedgren ♦ dmscopio ♦ Ennedi
emilin ♦ Heblem ♦ jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ papab2000
Shadow Assassin ♦ Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
See my uploads on the LEX!

CasperVg

Just from interest; why exactly are only 16 slots availble/possible?
Follow my SimCity 4 Let's play on YouTube

xxdita

Because the insanity has to end at some point  $%Grinno$%
Luckily, they're bound by a simple hex number, which will only allow for 16 textures. (0-9, A-F)

Diggis

Thanks Xxdita.  Thats pretty much it.  On both counts.

Heblem, replacing the parking textures will be the simplist set to replace as there are only 5 peices.  I've got a tutorial written up which will explain it, although any done for the parking lot textures will probably have to be reIID'd as we are moving the to be part of the ped mall set.  Hopefully won't be a big change though.

Warrior, that would be a great idea.  It might make a good 'boardwalk' set.  I guess we'd be able to do it though T21's.  I would prefer to see it as part of the Ped set, so might have to wait till then.

SA, my two concerns with those textures is that they original creator isn't around to ask.  Hasn't been active since Nov 2005, and that no one here seems to be keen to create them, only to get them created.  I'm moving on to the ped malls and T21's at the moment so these last 3 have to come from the community.

Oh, one last thing... the final chosen sets will become part of the original SAM set.  They will be included with the download.  This means that the use of them will be given over to SAM to upload where we see fit.  You will be credited as the creator and your permission sought for other uses.

Jonathan

Quote from: DiggisThe issue I had with Chris's is that they are only really one way.   They could be Modded to be 2 way with ease but if I recall, Chris is MIA so that might be a problem.

Just thought of something, the RHW-4 is a one way network but uses the same technology as the SAM and is based off a two way network, anyway if the track is one way, and there is a tractor (or whatever) going into a field how does it get out of the field?