• Welcome to SC4 Devotion Forum Archives.

SLR (Single Lane Road) Project Thread

Started by SimsReporter, August 18, 2007, 08:53:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SimsReporter

Edit: This project has been incorporated into the Network Widening Mod as the "Asymmetrical Road" (ARD-3).  For further information on development, see the link.  -Alex (Tarkus)

Hi everybody. I wanted to Know if people could start a new project one that will fit the needs of our traffic. Sometimes cars are in clusters in one direction and not in another thats why i would like a team to start this project. The SLR (Single Lane Road) would look like this...

This is what it would look like in SC4

This is what it would look like with crossovers to Road - SLR - TLA (tarkus)
Come visit My (SLR) Project Thread. Located in the Nam Creations Forum.

Kitsune

That would make the two lane rural version really realistic - passing lanes in one direction only. I like this idea.....
~ NAM Team Member

Jonathan

I don't really understand this, is there 2 lanes in one direction and 1 lane in the other direction?
Have you actually started it as well?
But good luck anyway

JoeST

i think he is asking someone else to do it
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

jplumbley

As I have said before.  If someone was to make the textures Tarkus and I will consider making them a draggable override.  Tarkus and I are not the greastest texturers in the world, we rely mostly on a group of individual texturers that have made things such as the RHW, TLA and original Street Mods.

Make the textures and there is a much larger chance they will be included in the NAM one day.
"You learn something new everyday."

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/169/nhpjplumbleykv3.gif
Bringing the new horizons closer to reality.

Berethor ♦ beskhu3epnm ♦ blade2k5 ♦ dmscopio jplumbley ♦ moganite ♦ M4346 ♦ Dedgren ♦ Ennedi Shadow Assassin ♦  Tarkus ♦ wouanagaine
Street Addon Mod - SAM

Starmanw402007

That would be a cool idea have a passing lane on either the right sight or left.

Your Friend;
Mayor Of Steven's Point & Maxiston
(Proud To Be Cities Of Sim Nation!)

penguin007

Yeh!!! my idea has been put to use. I would like to add that the advantage of puzzle peices would be it could work for either left or right hand roads and you could do it either way. Make sure that european textures are used otherwise it wont look good on any european cities. It is a european idea after all!!

Will

rickmastfan67

Quote from: penguin007 on August 19, 2007, 01:20:46 AM
Yeh!!! my idea has been put to use. I would like to add that the advantage of puzzle peices would be it could work for either left or right hand roads and you could do it either way. Make sure that european textures are used otherwise it wont look good on any european cities. It is a european idea after all!!

Will

Believe it or not, but we have the same kinds of roads like that here in the states.  The first one that comes to my mind is US-22 here in PA.  It has several segments in it that is like the picture posted in the first post between Pittsburgh and Altoona.
-- James Mast, aka: rickmastfan67
Painter/Public Relations at: Masgrafx Racing.

Check out the 9/11/01 Car Set Checklist.

Take a look @ the JPG Compression tutorial.  A must read to help cut away unnecessary file size from 500k+ images to help dial-up users out.

vester

Quote from: penguin007 on August 19, 2007, 01:20:46 AM

Will

Well textures is the smallest problem. Getting modding to work is a bigger problem.

penguin007

@rickmastfan67  well you learn something everyday!

toxicpiano

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on August 19, 2007, 02:15:24 AM
Believe it or not, but we have the same kinds of roads like that here in the states.  The first one that comes to my mind is US-22 here in PA.  It has several segments in it that is like the picture posted in the first post between Pittsburgh and Altoona.
Indeed, from my recent roadtrip around Ontario, Canada I could inform you that there are many points where this happens  :P
I find that alcohol, taken in sufficient quantities, can bring about all the effects of drunkenness.

Pat

SLR here in wisconsin is called the passing lane and is usaly for a short distance say about 1 mile due to the area being hilly and all that and since a passing zone isnt feasible so thats when the passing lane comes into effect and that is pretty much how it looks to start it out to....

Don't forget the SC4D Podcast is back and live on Saturdays @ 12 noon CST!! -- The Podcast soon to Return Here Linkie

mightygoose

yeah always two lanes on the uphill carriageway
NAM + CAM + RAM + SAM, that's how I roll....

simzebu

Yeah, we have some places like that. They make it 2 lanes so that trucks and other vehicles that have a hard time going up hills can go slower without affecting traffic.
Known as Embolalia in numerous other places.

Penguins, Python, and Programming, oh my!

Xiziz

I know of these roads, we got loads of em in Sweden, though we call them "2+1 Roads" and its basicly one lane in eather direction with the middlelane switching every 2 or so km from side to side, and theres a fence in the middle, generally rated at 90-110kph (same as dual carrigeways/motorways).

Il link to the images to keep the post short:
Pic of road (small)
Picture 2 of road
Picture three

And if anyone actually sets out to mod this, ive even turned out some ~14 meter plans, which is rather good considering that one tile is 16m, that leaves some grass on the edge :P

Plan of a 14m 2plus1 road

I think the most logical way to implement it would be on ordinary roads, as textures when they dont have any buildings alligned to them, that way they dont intefere with RHW eather.

Jonathan

I think it would be better if they were made using the draggable starter piece, like the GLR in the NAM.
This project looks great , I haven't seen any in England though.

metasmurf

I would love to have these kinds of roads, but I think it will be very challenging moddingwise :(

JoeST

@Warrior: you haven't seen any in England???? there is loads, there's one just outside my house lol,
Copperminds and Cuddleswarms

Xiziz

Quote from: metasmurf on August 19, 2007, 06:14:11 AM
I would love to have these kinds of roads, but I think it will be very challenging moddingwise :(

Yea, especially the swapover of centerlanes, but its something i really miss in sc4, as its such a vital part of our roadnetworks here in Sweden. Great for places that see a lot of sesonal traffic, but not enough to make it viable to build a motorway(ie 2+2).

Andreas

Well, I guess Warrior lives in an area without higher hills and mountains. ;) Those "2+1" roads are rather common in Germany as well, since a full "rural highway" with two lanes into each direction is often too expensive, so they just add a third lane to the uphill part of roads, so trucks and other slow vehicles can be overtaken, as explained above.
Andreas